Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Where are all these hard FFs? I don’t think I’ve ever played a FF game that was especially difficult

The ones that people tend to find difficult are XIII, LR and FFVIIR. These three are actually my favourite when it comes to difficulty and balance, but there’s usually something that people don’t understand that makes it hard for them.

People didn’t get that XIII was all about choosing which paradigm to be in, not what individual abilities to use. The game didn’t tell you about the free ATB refresh every 12 seconds. Players would have a healer out at all times instead of only when necessary.

In LR they thought that they’d have to use chronostasis constantly or they would run out of time and have the game erase your data or something.

In FFVIIR they didn’t understand they were controlling a party, not a single character with two AI companions. They’d complain that the other characters were never using their abilities, when it’s the player’s job to tell them what to do. Besides, you wouldn’t want an AI to waste the ATB charges.

XII, XIII and VIIR are all trying to give you control over a party without forcing you to make a decision every time their turn arrives. In XII you program their AI, in XIII you select a set of pre-programmed AIs for your whole team and in VIIR you can either tell them which special abilities to use or switch control to them.

It’s probably why XVI took the safe route and just gave you one character to worry about. Your allies don’t even have HP. In Kingdom Hearts you at least need to keep Donald and Goofy alive to use your more powerful abilities like Drives, Limits and Summons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
none of them are particularly difficult (parts of FF4 can piss up a rope though) but 16 is as easy as 15 but with the limited scope of 13. it's not a good combo for keeping the player engaged

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Clive runs like my grandma. His chocobo runs like my chocobo's grandma

Why the gently caress do they run so slow? It takes forever to get anywhere :argh:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Also, why are there so many drat spoilers in the no spoiler thread

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You unlock the ultra hard Ultimaniac difficulty mode after you beat the game.

Twice.

And yes it does get deeper at that point because enemies are more aggressive and you need to for example break their super armor before you can juggle them

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The trash mobs are very timid and mostly easy to kill in flashy ways, human enemies can be annoying in large numbers but that’s mostly because finding and locking onto the magic-user so you can kill them first is annoying. Big enemies and bosses are decently fun in that you have to get good at dodging/blocking and then go to town on them when they’re staggered. But you have to force yourself to try new things because there isn’t really anything so difficult that you need specific loadouts. I assume this changes on hard which I would probably enjoy more. Maybe they should have had hard be an option from the beginning?

The big flashy boss battles and kaiju Eikon battles are great fun because they’re so ridiculous.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

...! posted:

Also, why are there so many drat spoilers in the no spoiler thread

Everyone else finished it weeks ago

...!
Oct 5, 2003

But it's a no spoiler thread

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sakurazuka posted:

I started it the day it launched and just finished it today, some people game slow. :)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
It’s a no spoiler thread but you spoiler tag it for the few random high parts you wanna comment on with no way to no spoil, while the other thread is a Wild West no holds bar

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

WaltherFeng posted:

You unlock the ultra hard Ultimaniac difficulty mode after you beat the game.

Twice.

And yes it does get deeper at that point because enemies are more aggressive and you need to for example break their super armor before you can juggle them

You only need to beat it once and then Ultimaniac is an option in Arcade mode during NG+

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah, I just bought it used a week ago because I didn't think it was worth $70 based on the demo and I feel I might've even overpaid for a used copy. The story is engaging enough but the combat system is so fuckin boring. And lol every drat "spoiler free" thread ever is like this.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
It's always always a mistake to go into a game's thread before you've beaten it if you actually care about spoilers.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
at least for this one, you can remark at certain pts and we won't go 'oh yea that was neat, but (future stuff) is cooler'
we just go oh yea that was neat, i liked that part too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't think I've seen any unmarked story or major mechanical spoilers?

I think I would spoil if it's something extremely specific but I don't think a general statement like "the combat and dungeons are like this throughout the game" or "you play as clive" is spoiler-worthy

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Augus posted:

You only need to beat it once and then Ultimaniac is an option in Arcade mode during NG+

Unfortunately you need to unlock every stage again so technically its twice.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
before setting off for final battle

the gently caress, can't believe you leave Jill and Torgal behind? The game does so much to shoo Jill away from the plot in this, goddamn

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

GateOfD posted:

the gently caress, can't believe you leave Jill and Torgal behind? The game does so much to shoo Jill away from the plot in this, goddamn

Clive must face the tedium alone. It is the culmination of his character arc.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GateOfD posted:

Oh yeah, it feels like Torgal's missing some payoff in the story. He gets a couple of side quests but he doesn't really feature in the last stretch at all.

And Jill's just a whole other thing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Torgal going supersaiyan ends up being way less of a thing than it seems its going to be but his final sidequest is very good and basically a perfect endpoint for him.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I think the deal with the final mission is that Clive, Joshua, and Dion all believe that it's a suicide mission. Dion is prepared to accept death in order to atone, Joshua is on his last legs anyway, and Clive has to go because he's the living nuclear weapon. They leave Jill and Torgal behind because involving anybody else would just be increasing the body count. At least that's how I interpreted it from the angle of three dudes dead set on doing the heroic sacrifice thing.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
can't believe in the final battle that Medicine Girl didn't show up.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

she was there in spirit because I drank 5 high potions, 5 strength tonics and 2 Lionheart potions

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I finally finished the game with all side quests done and all hunts done and I was gonna make some big effortpost but decided against it. Instead I'm just gonna say that IMO this is the worst modern final fantasy by a large amount. I can usually find some kind of enjoyment in each entry but 16 just had nothing. The story was boring, the combat didn't have enough going on to keep it interesting for the entire length of the game, all of the systems (crafting, accessories, money) were pointless. What was there to spend money on? Outside of the first few hours I never bought a weapon from a store or even reinforced one since you can only do that with green weapons and after a point everything you can craft is higher than green. So the only thing you ever find in the big empty zones is useless crafting mats.

Money was pointless too because the only thing I ever bought were Potions, High Potions, and stoneskin potions. Yea there are elixers and lionheart potions and stuff but it's not needed, the regular potions are just fine. Accessories are also a wash because it's usually something like making an ability a little stronger or the cooldown faster. I just equipped the ones that did blanket buffs, like potions healing more, perfect dodging increasing attack for a time, and a basic attack up.

The only reason I finished it is because I paid $70 for this dumb game and I'm stubborn. Maybe I'd think higher of it if I didn't plow through it out of spite and sunk cost.

edit: While I'm at it, why is there such a lack of area variety? Of enemy variety? It's grassy woods, desert, ruins, and ruined city for the entire game. On occasion they let us run through a crystal.

Overbite fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 14, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i didn't even bother using the 3rd potion slot, there's no point.
and during the last 30% of the game, I just gave up dodging other than the big 5sec telegraph stuff because everything just dies to instantly spamming your big moves. I treated it as a big interactive movie which is on a much lower bar. Agreed about the acc. like wow, 2sec lower cooldown? 10% more damage! yea, really game changing stuff..I think I got hit by about every atk in the final fight, but it doesn't matter cause stats don't matter in this game
the game gives you weapons that are in upgrades for like +5 or +2 after each eikon fight, and the best weapon in the game in 1st play through is a grand upgrade of like 15atk~ pts over the previous free weapon you obtain.

Started up Xenoblade 3: Future Redeemed DLC and the first 10minutes is so much more engaging.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I actually started playing the Tales of Destiny DC english fan translation and it's showing its age but I'm having more fun playing it than ff16

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Shame it didn't bite for you guys, but them's the breaks for an FF I guess.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
for modern FF

FF13-2 > FF13 > FF16 > FF13-3 > FF15

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I liked it enough, but it was a warm 8/10. The peaks were super fun and I enjoyed the story, but the lows were vast (I didn't do any of the final sidequests because I'd rather finish the game and see more of the MONEY) and the story has some rough problems

I'd be very interested in something that refines everything here, has a more high fantasy setting and let's Platinum inject even more The Wonderful 101 segments in.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

I liked it enough, but it was a warm 8/10. The peaks were super fun and I enjoyed the story, but the lows were vast (I didn't do any of the final sidequests because I'd rather finish the game and see more of the MONEY) and the story has some rough problems

I'd be very interested in something that refines everything here, has a more high fantasy setting and let's Platinum inject even more The Wonderful 101 segments in.

This was essentially me but I didn't mind the lows too much and I did all the sidequests. There's good character work in there but I can understand why people just skipped over them.

My personal gripes with the game are mostly that Jill is a bit too sidelined in the main story and that I wish that eikon basic movesets were a bit more varied, like variation in the effects of the basic spells. Please fix all of this in XVI-2 ty in advance yoship.

Ultimately it's still a top 3 GOTY game for me alongside Octopath 2 and Ghost Trick remaster, order still yet undecided (also Armored Core 6 coming soon might shake things up). It's also probably my favourite single player FF at this point, but there's a lot I still haven't played so who knows.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Clive's mortal blow animations should have had different animations for each element instead of just fireblast no matter what

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

FFXVI is story first gameplay second by design. Unfortunately they locked all the difficulty options behind NG+ so most people have already stopped playing by then.

In Arcade Mode items are almost nonexistent and on harder modes you need to clear the entire stage without dying. There's also a scoring system but its not very intuitive.

It's more an action game than an RPG but the action part is locked behind the story.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

WaltherFeng posted:

FFXVI is story first gameplay second by design. Unfortunately they locked all the difficulty options behind NG+ so most people have already stopped playing by then.

In Arcade Mode items are almost nonexistent and on harder modes you need to clear the entire stage without dying. There's also a scoring system but its not very intuitive.

It's more an action game than an RPG but the action part is locked behind the story.

Hmm, locking the most engaging gameplay sections behind completion of the main story is one thing they probably shouldn't have imported from 14.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

FF16 doesn't have it as bad as FF12 but it does suffer a little from having all those "Meanwhile, in the Empire" scenes of people doing various scheming.

It's a single player story driven game. Let me do the scheming! Or at least let Clive do the scheming but make me feel like I did it!

If you want to do the big political maneuvering plots then you should make the player an active participant in the plotting!

For a modern example of a game actually doing this, see Persona 5 (for all the other flaws in its writing) actually having a really important part being the Phantom Thieves tricking their enemy by playing real dumb about something (and it almost going wrong, injecting some stakes).

edit:
"How do you want there to be a gameplay that isn't being a Paradox Interactive map-painter in the continent politics game"
If DanganRonpa3 can make me drive a virtual taxi in my character's brain in order to pick up virtual girls representing the clues in the case then FF16 can do the equivalent with Clive deciding his next move. Let me do a DR3 scrum debate where I tell Goetz is argument on where to send supplies is wrong.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 15, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Game coulda used a good scheme.

From like, anyone.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Game coulda used a good scheme.

From like, anyone.

Barnabas deciding to send Benedikta's head to Hugo in a box in order to get him mad at the Hideaway and Cid was pretty funny. Just deciding going full se7en is the best way out of all possible option, sure.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

bewilderment posted:

FF16 doesn't have it as bad as FF12 but it does suffer a little from having all those "Meanwhile, in the Empire" scenes of people doing various scheming.

It's a single player story driven game. Let me do the scheming! Or at least let Clive do the scheming but make me feel like I did it!

If you want to do the big political maneuvering plots then you should make the player an active participant in the plotting!

For a modern example of a game actually doing this, see Persona 5 (for all the other flaws in its writing) actually having a really important part being the Phantom Thieves tricking their enemy by playing real dumb about something (and it almost going wrong, injecting some stakes).

edit:
"How do you want there to be a gameplay that isn't being a Paradox Interactive map-painter in the continent politics game"
If DanganRonpa3 can make me drive a virtual taxi in my character's brain in order to pick up virtual girls representing the clues in the case then FF16 can do the equivalent with Clive deciding his next move. Let me do a DR3 scrum debate where I tell Goetz is argument on where to send supplies is wrong.

This is what Triangle Strategy did well; between missions you get bits where your party will hold meetings at whatever base camp they're using (like the Hideout bits in 16) but you actually have to mediate the debates, try and convince the party members to support your course of action and find evidence to support whatever plan you have.

It's a really nicely designed mechanic.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lol this fuckin game doesn't even have statuses? I was hoping that would get introduced by a boss at some point but I'm guessing that's a no. :reject:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's the one enemy that casts Doom on you but I don't remember anything other than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

You get access to freeze eventually. Impulse is also pretty much a bind.