Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I would also recommend linking to monument hobbies. The pro-acryl paints are very nice for beginners and experts and come in dropper bottles. Also their branded brushes are surprisingly good, as they're likely just Windsor and Newton series7 with a different handle. I've been using their #4 sable brush as a daily driver for a while and it's on par with the #2 Raphael 8404 that it replaced. The #2 brush is good but I like the feel of the #1 Raphael more for extremely fine detail, so the monument brush has been relegated to the hazardous job of fine detail work with metallic paints. Idk how the synthetic brushes are but if you're buying synthetic then just get bulk brushes meant for a kindergarten classroom's watercolor day.

Yeah Monument Hobbies is awesome. Fast shipping but more importantly, a really great product that has become my default for a lot of colors. Love their Jade and Gold and White in particular. I also LOVE their primer; I almost exclusively use their Black airbrush primer these days and actually exclusively their white. It’s a little more expensive but it’s resulted in the least jams I’ve ever had with my airbrush and it looks great.

I also really like Huge Miniatures! I’ve gotten a lot of basing supplies from them and I really like what they make. I used their basing stuff for my chaos knights and I really like how it turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Cooked Auto posted:

As for the US? You've got Hoard 'O Bits and that's it outside of Ebay stores.

Probably worth mentioning eBay as a blanket option wherever you are in the world - if you're looking for a particular part it's probably the place most likely to have it, you just have to hope it isn't at some wildly absurd price.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

As a Scandinavian I've had remarkable success with french resellers. Not too insane shipping prices there. Unlike German stores.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Cooked Auto posted:

Another UK offer is BitsMonster.

For EU have Bitzarium (French), Bitzstore (French) and Bitsbay (Italian). Only shipped from the first one in the past so no idea about the second one.
There is also Megabitzshop, but they don't ship to the EU, despite being based in Germany, due to tax issues.

As for the US? You've got Hoard 'O Bits and that's it outside of Ebay stores.

Does HoardoBits actually sell anything GW anymore? Every time I went there for ages it was just lists of stuff out of stock.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

:shrug:
I feel the same can be said for other bits stores. Most of them tend to have really spotty resupply intervals.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Ashcans posted:

Does HoardoBits actually sell anything GW anymore? Every time I went there for ages it was just lists of stuff out of stock.

To be fair this same description also has applied to the Games Workshop website recently.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I've had good luck with buying some bits on Ebay recently. The key is to find someone that has a number of things you need/like, cart them all and request a retotal. Bits tend to be decently priced there, but shipping is what fucks you over. Of course some stuff on ebay is just absurdly priced.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I've had some luck with Facebook market groups, like the nid heads for the trophies I got via asking one of the warhammer groups I'm in. Even scored some Elysian accatran lasrifles a while back through the same channel.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Joining the eBay recommendations. window-box, now I guess called Blackdagger Games, has served me very reliably over the years: https://www.ebay.com/str/blackdaggergames

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

poo poo, that would have saved be a few bucks last month on bits.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Muir posted:

Joining the eBay recommendations. window-box, now I guess called Blackdagger Games, has served me very reliably over the years: https://www.ebay.com/str/blackdaggergames

Brutal, I can get bits from the UK to Canada with cheaper shipping than from the States.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Brutal, I can get bits from the UK to Canada with cheaper shipping than from the States.

Ouch, what does it cost to get it to Canada? In the US it's $4.45 regardless of how many bits I'm getting from them.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
That dark eldar codex situation is good design on GWs part though, because the DE are really into causing pain and suffering

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I pay $10.24 :canada: bucks when I order bits from the UK. So I try to order as much as I can when I do.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Troll Trader is pretty good if you don't want to trawl ebay. You won't get hot deals but they're reasonable enough and shipping from the UK to Canada is surprisingly not bad.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Muir posted:

Ouch, what does it cost to get it to Canada? In the US it's $4.45 regardless of how many bits I'm getting from them.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Oh, that's still reasonable then. Yes, if you're buying one single bit then you're going to pay a lot on shipping proportionally. But if you bought 30 different bits it should still just be the same price for the whole lot.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Yeah definitely get a few bits at that rate, Canada Post has just the worst costs. I do a ton of shipping for my art business, it is cheaper for me to send something to California (I'm on the east coast) than it is to send it to a city one province over. I cannot figure that out. I also end up getting a bunch of stuff from the UK because the rate is comparable to what I get domestically.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I used to be able to get bits from Australia to Canada cheaper than from the US. Bitzgalaxy remains my favorite ebay bits store, though I haven't bought from them for a while.

The problem doesn't seem to be Canada Post; all these UK and Australian stores hand off to Canada Post for the last leg of the journey the same way the US stores do. It's something to do with the US/Canada postage interface. Maybe the Commonwealth has some sort of price deal for mail transfers?

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 13, 2023

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Stephenls posted:

I used to be able to get bits from Australia to Canada cheaper than from the US. Bitzgalaxy remains my favorite ebay bits store, though I haven't bought from them for a while.

The problem doesn't seem to be Canada Post; all these UK and Australian stores hand off to Canada Post for the last leg of the journey the same way the US stores do. It's something to do with the US/Canada postage interface. Maybe the Commonwealth has some sort of price deal for mail transfers?

drat, good looking out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Stephenls posted:

I work for canada post and, IIRC, the trump admin ended several agreements between canada and us postal services and made shipping across the border much more expensive both ways.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Improbable Lobster posted:

I work for canada post and, IIRC, the trump admin ended several agreements between canada and us postal services and made shipping across the border much more expensive both ways.

Yeah, that scans.

gently caress.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Stephenls posted:

Yeah, that scans.

gently caress.

US shipping to ROW has always been stupidly expensive- $20 for the cheapest, smallest, slowest and untracked parcel.

For better or worse it stopped me buying metal Battletech models since I would pay more in shipping than product most of the time.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
What the hell kind of stupid rear end government makes postage between the united states and canada, two very intertwined economies, expensive?! that's insane!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Al-Saqr posted:

What the hell kind of stupid rear end government makes postage between the united states and canada, two very intertwined economies, expensive?! that's insane!

I mean you've answered your own question: a stupid rear end one

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Al-Saqr posted:

Stupid and insane is a pretty good summary of the administration, yes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Z the IVth posted:

US shipping to ROW has always been stupidly expensive- $20 for the cheapest, smallest, slowest and untracked parcel.

For better or worse it stopped me buying metal Battletech models since I would pay more in shipping than product most of the time.

It was never cheap to get stuff sent across borders but it's definitely gotten significantly worse over the last 5 ir 6 years

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yo, that ongoing monthly subscription that slowly gives you a Space Marine and Necron army, is that still playing out? I'm wondering if we'll get one for 10th.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/13/sunday-preview-sneaky-space-marines-and-a-whole-season-of-kill-team

Some odd pre-orders this week.

First there's the have Space Marines Vanguard Task Force. Which is just the Shadowspear units.
Then the Indomitus Captain and Lieutenant get their own standalone release at last.

The fact that the Master of Possession is also getting a stand alone release is going to make someone happy.

I think they actually took the time to redo the sprues for this, or somehow managed to separate them. Which is interesting.

The big news on the other hand is that a bunch of Kill Team will finally be available.
The Felgor Ravagers, the Hand of Archon and Hearthkyn Salvagers to be precise.

And most importantly, the Inquisitorial Retinue.

Then there's the Gallowfall terrain as well, and the KT annual 2023.

Oh, and another 30k Marine. But whatever.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/13/sunday-preview-sneaky-space-marines-and-a-whole-season-of-kill-team

Some odd pre-orders this week.

First there's the have Space Marines Vanguard Task Force. Which is just the Shadowspear units.
Then the Indomitus Captain and Lieutenant get their own standalone release at last.

The fact that the Master of Possession is also getting a stand alone release is going to make someone happy.

I think they actually took the time to redo the sprues for this, or somehow managed to separate them. Which is interesting.

Nope.

Shadowspear was new monopose Phobos marines vs. new monopose CSM. The Space Marine side of things were everything in that new Vanguard Task Force kit on one inseparable set of sprues plus the Captain in Phobos Armor on a separate sprue, while the CSM side of things was a Venomcrawler, two Greater Possessed (just regular monopose Possessed now, really), two Obliterators, and ten monopose CSM all on one set of inseparable sprues plus a separate Master of Possession. So what we're seeing today is just the monopose Space Marine side of Shadowspear plus the already-separated Master of Possession getting their own releases. I think the Master of Possession was available separately for a bit with the CSM side of Shadowspear as Start Collecting: Chaos Space Marines, but now that's been discontinued it makes sense they'd sell the Master of Possession separately.

So now the only thing not available from Shadowspear is the CSM monopose sprues.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Cooked Auto posted:

Then there's the Gallowfall terrain as well, and the KT annual 2023.

The sad thing is, the info in the KT annual book is already out of date due to the balance dataslate. It would've been cool if they made this themed more like the "GallowDark Compendium," but I guess if they're also throwing in Ashes of Faith stuff...

Desfore fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 13, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Stephenls posted:

So now the only thing not available from Shadowspear is the CSM monopose sprues.

That's what I meant, it's the Marine half of shadowspear. :|
Hell, it's even a reissue of the old Start Collecting Space Marines box if you want to be really petty about it.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

X-posting from painting thread

I'm pretty pleased with this so far. I need to clean up some of the excessive chipping in a couple spots, but overall I'm happy. I also need to paint the crew, but after 2 weeks of this model I need a break from it for a little. This is also the first tank I've painted since the Land Raider Crusader was released. I did have to start over once, but it was pretty early on. I'll get some lightbox photos once the crew is done.

Edit: I also need to blacken the muzzle

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Cooked Auto posted:

That's what I meant, it's the Marine half of shadowspear. :|
Hell, it's even a reissue of the old Start Collecting Space Marines box if you want to be really petty about it.

What I meant is, you said it looked like they redid or separated the sprues. But they didn't; those sprues were always separate. Shadowspear shipped with five sets of sprues, all designed as potentially separate kits:

1) Ten monopose Infiltrators (including one Helix Adept), three monopose Suppressors, three monopose Eliminators, and one Lieutenant in Phobos Armor.

2) One Captain in Phobos Armor.

3) One Phobos Librarian (I almost forgot this guy!)

4) Ten monopose Chaos Space Marines ("Legionaries" now, including one aspiring champion with chainaxe and plasma pistol, one legionary with a plasma gun, one legionary with an autocannon, four legionaries with chainswords, and three legionaries with bolters), two monopose Greater Possessed (just Possessed now), two monopose Obliterators, and a Venomcrawler.

5) One Master of Possession.

Any of these kits can be sold separately but kits 1 and 4 must each be sold together in their entirety. So, for a while, 1 was Start Collecting! Vanguard Space Marines while 4+5 were the second version of Start Collecting! Chaos Space Marines, and 2 and 3 were sold separately. Then, later on, 1 + an Impulsor was Combat Patrol Space Marines. Now 1 is the Vanguard Task Force while 2, 3, and 5 are sold separately and 4 is unavailable. But they still haven't redone or separated anything.

Sorry, I'm only splitting hairs here because you're right, it would be interesting if they'd separated the sprues or re-did the CAD files and made new moulds or something like that. False alarm, though; they did not.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 13, 2023

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Stephenls posted:

What I meant is, you said it looked like they redid or separated the sprues. But they didn't; those sprues were always separate. Shadowspear shipped with five sets of sprues, all designed as potentially separate kits:

4) Ten monopose Chaos Space Marines ("Legionaries" now, including one aspiring champion with chainaxe and plasma pistol, one legionary with a plasma gun, one legionary with an autocannon, four legionaries with chainswords, and three legionaries with bolters), two monopose Greater Possessed (just Possessed now), two monopose Obliterators, and a Venomcrawler.

5) One Master of Possession.

Any of these kits can be sold separately but kits 1 and 4 must each be sold together in their entirety. So, for a while, 1 was Start Collecting! Vanguard Space Marines while 4+5 were the second version of Start Collecting! Chaos Space Marines, and 2 and 3 were sold separately. Then, later on, 1 + an Impulsor was Combat Patrol Space Marines. Now 1 is the Vanguard Task Force while 2, 3, and 5 are sold separately and 4 is unavailable. But they still haven't redone or separated anything.

Sorry, I'm only splitting hairs here because you're right, it would be interesting if they'd separated the sprues or re-did the CAD files and made new moulds or something like that. False alarm, though; they did not.

To nitpick your nitpick, from 4), a sprue with two monopose Obliterators and a Venomcrawler mixed together is available separately. It's just the 10 marines and 2 (Greater) Possessed that are mixed together and currently unavailable.

Your point about the series of reboxes with zero sprue redesign is well taken, however.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Stephenls posted:

I was wondering if they had changed the Master of Possession and Indomitus Sprues. Not the Shadowspear ones.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
IIRC dark imperium was the one that was a mess of mixed sprues.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Could've sworn that Indomitus had a lot of the same units on a single sprue as well. At least grouped together from what I can recall.

But it looks like the MoP was separate in this case.
Same with the Captain and Lieutenant. Weird though that they are getting bundled together.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Could've sworn that Indomitus had a lot of the same units on a single sprue as well. At least grouped together from what I can recall.

But it looks like the MoP was separate in this case.
Same with the Captain and Lieutenant. Weird though that they are getting bundled together.

the big marine indomitus sprue was the Chaplain, Ancient, Justicar, Bladeguard and Eradicators. The lieutenant and Captain sprues were "connected" to the necron equivalents but with a very easy split to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Forgefiend, he is a handsome boy