Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Kira is a character I never really appreciated as a teen but as I've grown older she's become a favourite.

Same. I was never fond of her when I first watched the show, but I just completed a rewatch and she was just great. Both the character and the actor. Though I put an asterisk on the mirror universe episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Der Kyhe posted:

"What part of the 'do not become a god-like figure or messiah to the locals' did you not understand from the Prime Directive?"

Get him one of those "Do Not Worship" stickers that they slapped onto Landru.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I forget is there an episode where Sisko gets the book thrown at him for becoming a religious leader of an a less advanced civilization? The prime directive is kinda ill fitting for the bajorans since it’s whole thing is “don’t interact with people till they invent warp on their own.” But the bajorans didn’t, they got conquered by a race that did and kinda just became a space race through being the subjects of people that were.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

galagazombie posted:

I forget is there an episode where Sisko gets the book thrown at him for becoming a religious leader of an a less advanced civilization? The prime directive is kinda ill fitting for the bajorans since it’s whole thing is “don’t interact with people till they invent warp on their own.” But the bajorans didn’t, they got conquered by a race that did and kinda just became a space race through being the subjects of people that were.

The recurring Admiral character (Ross) does bring it up a few times.

Also, the Bajorans had space sails that somehow could go to other solar systems.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

It's a big plot point in Rapture when he stops Bajor from joining the Federation.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

It's a big plot point in Rapture when he stops Bajor from joining the Federation.

Yeah honestly after that, keeping Sisko in power as a Federation officer seems crazy. He's completely compromised by the wormhole aliens.

But the Feds recognize his God like influence on Bajor....

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

redshirt posted:

the benny gesserit and their ersatz haderach

naem
May 29, 2011

the Federation seems to understand the concept of a greater good than itself, as in their ideals go far beyond that of a political authority, and seem willing to embrace change if it is positive and a net good beyond their own current authority or power

it’s a rare depiction of such an organization, I can’t think of anything else quite like it off the top of my head

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

the Federation seems to understand the concept of a greater good than itself, as in their ideals go far beyond that of a political authority, and seem willing to embrace change if it is positive and a net good beyond their own current authority or power

it’s a rare depiction of such an organization, I can’t think of anything else quite like it off the top of my head

Sisko earned it several times too when the Feds came and challenged him.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

naem posted:

sucks to be una chin-riley i guess

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Think about it from Kira's perspective. She's a highly religious terrorist who is now working/serving the Jesus/Moses/Chosen One of the Bajoran people. What an honor!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

Get him one of those "Do Not Worship" stickers that they slapped onto Landru.

Mandatory DO NOT WORSHIP uniform shirts for away teams

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

QUARK: How could I possibly operate my establishment under Starfleet rules of conduct?
SISKO: This is still a Bajoran station. We're just here to administrate. You run honest games, you won't have any problems from me.

From Emmisary.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Did he though? Did Quark run honest games?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

Did anyone actually think Quarks Dabo wheel was fair?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

redshirt posted:

Did anyone actually think Quarks Dabo wheel was fair?

They are completely fair. You can even game them and start winning. But if you do they will press the cheat button underneath the table so you lose. Other than that they are fair and simple mathematics.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Outpost22 posted:

He wasn't able to stop Boimler's streak. Lucky he only wanted Quark Bucks

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

redshirt posted:

Yeah honestly after that, keeping Sisko in power as a Federation officer seems crazy. He's completely compromised by the wormhole aliens.

True, although he was right. The locusts would have conquered Bajor (i.e., The Dominion). Also I guess the mitigating circumstance was that he was posessed by psychedelic aliens and that usually gets a pass. He was medically diagnosed and treated for it.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Kesper North posted:

sucks to be una chin-riley i guess

I mean one of the reasons I hate that episode is because the Federation, as a utopian laid-back "fair" society has a reasonably strong argument that gene modifications would gently caress all of that up by introducing a new class strata between the modified / unmodified. It's the same reason u don't see cybernetic enhancements everywhere too. The point of Trek is to center the human, and present a view of society where technology aids us and we become better humans, but with a clean line that means we are not in service to our advancements.

And then you can layer on that gene modding is as much art as it is skill and that they tried gene modding in the 21XXes, with the result of not only Khan but also people dying in agony from bizzare deformities or whatever.

Like, it's a direct counterpoint to their argument, too.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 14, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also it was just a dumbass plotline for them to do given that they're hampered by Bashir in DS9. Everything interesting they could do (like acceptance of Una's species specifically or acceptance of gene modification after the fact or w/e) is hampered by the fact that they have to keep to canon.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah I really wish that when that plot thread got tackled it had been in the Picard era, in a better show than Picard

That said, what they show is more true to the experience of people who are oppressed right now, today. We haven't fixed racism. We haven't fixed sexism. All that poo poo looks set to continue well into the 22nd century. It's not wrong for Star Trek to try to give voice to that experience, even if we aren't happy with the resolution of the episode. Arguably... that's the point of the exercise. Struggle is perpetual, and we can't give up, now or ever.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Feel free to spoil me: Do they reference DS9 in Picard at all?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

redshirt posted:

Feel free to spoil me: Do they reference DS9 in Picard at all?

Changelings are a big part of season 3, otherwise not really.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

alexandriao posted:

And then you can layer on that gene modding is as much art as it is skill and that they tried gene modding in the 21XXes, with the result of not only Khan but also people dying in agony from bizzare deformities or whatever.
or like that one time when picard himself was evacuating a research station where they had genetically engineered children whose immune systems were so powerful they trapped people in an m night shyamalan movie.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Endless Trash posted:

Changelings are a big part of season 3, otherwise not really.

Well that's super interesting, but how is it "Not Reallly"?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

redshirt posted:

Worf obliquely references Odo and they talk about the Dominion War a bit because the Changelings are the holding pattern villain before the Borg show up for the last two episodes, but that's it. Nobody working on Picard at any level aside from Michael Dorn even knows what Deep Space Nine is.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm sorry I am saying if you have a Changeling on your Star Trek show, you are referencing DS9.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Worf obliquely references Odo and they talk about the Dominion War a bit because the Changelings are the holding pattern villain before the Borg show up for the last two episodes, but that's it. Nobody working on Picard at any level aside from Michael Dorn even knows what Deep Space Nine is.

Well that is not optomistic.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

redshirt posted:

otherwise not really

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

redshirt posted:

Well that is not optomistic.

Actually watching it is an exercise in self-harm. I wouldn't even do that to a redshirt.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Actually watching it is an exercise in self-harm. I wouldn't even do that to a redshirt.

Just here to do my job Sir.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

redshirt posted:

Just here to do my job Sir.

You're not Captain Pike! You can still save yourself! The future is unwritten! Libera te tutemet ex inferis! *plucks out own eyes*

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Kesper North posted:

You're not Captain Pike! You can still save yourself! The future is unwritten! Libera te tutemet ex inferis! *plucks out own eyes*

I know what I signed up for.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
"Feel free to stay as many days as you like a week if necessary"

Goddamn Kai Win just stone cold mother fucker.

I think that's my favorite exchange of hers in DS9.

I am now rewatching DS9.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I had a friend who, whenever we happened to watch King of the Hill and Peggy was on, this friend would inevitably say "God, I hate Peggy Hill" even as she laughed at whatever Peggy was doing.

That's how I feel about Kai Winn.

I hate her so much. And she's great.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

I had a friend who, whenever we happened to watch King of the Hill and Peggy was on, this friend would inevitably say "God, I hate Peggy Hill" even as she laughed at whatever Peggy was doing.

That's how I feel about Kai Winn.

I hate her so much. And she's great.

No offense, but I'd never compare Peggy and Kai Winn. You may not like Peggy, she may annoy you, but she's just a Mom. That explains everything.

Kai Winn on the other hand.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, give dukat time

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

redshirt posted:

No offense, but I'd never compare Peggy and Kai Winn. You may not like Peggy, she may annoy you, but she's just a Mom. That explains everything.

Peggy Hill is a well-meaning but profoundly ignorant person. Winn Adami is an actively malicious agent of discord. There's like no real comparison between them.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

redshirt posted:

It's not really fair to compare them since Peggy was the primary antagonist of her show and Kai Winn was at best a secondary antagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, there's never any doubt that Winn knows exactly what strings she's pulling