Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

fun hater posted:

ai turned out to be significantly better at detecting cancers than people so i dont think its a good flat statement to demand scientific progress and advancements in human health come to a screeching halt over the hypothetical starving scientist holding "will sequence for food" signs

But like... The people that were manually doing that detection work before are now using the AI to help, right? We're not cutting back on oncologists because AI is good at spotting cancer? Where it's a tool to assist people and not news outlets using ChatGPT to write articles so they don't have to pay a journalist, I don't see an issue. The problem isn't the tech, the problem is corporations using the tech to speedrun as many people into poverty as possible to make a line go up, same as it was when the Luddites were smashing looms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

In healthcare AI tools are indeed mostly used to assist nurses and doctors and not replace human decision making. Typically the algorithms involved provide information for the healthcare workers to then review and act on as they deem appropriate. Nobody's getting replaced by AI in that field because it would open the hospitals up to a million lawsuits if they didn't have doctors signing off on patient care decisions.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the people being replaced arent the oncologists but their staff

Fil5000 posted:

The problem isn't the tech, the problem is corporations using the tech to speedrun as many people into poverty as possible to make a line go up, same as it was when the Luddites were smashing looms.

this is true but i think its only a matter of time before it creeps into other fields.

fun hater fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 13, 2023

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Unrelated to AI but I recently saw a news article where GPs were complaining that radiology labs were doing too much scanning for cancer tumors (more than the GPs asked for when sending referrals), finding tiny benign tumors, and telling the patient who then suffer from anxiety and worsened mental health issues because of it.

Resulting either in a tumor that doesn't get operated out because it's totally benign/somewhere you don't really want to operate unless absolutely necessary and the patient continuing to suffer with anxiety, or the patient getting an extraneous operation that costs money and increases the workload on an already strained healthcare system (this is not in the US so universal healthcare)

tl;dr finding more tumors might not be automatically a huge positive, really seems to depend on what kind of tumors are found. But I'm not a professional myself.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Wasn't there already a case where the AI seemingly had an amazing hit rate, only for it to turn out it was picking up on a recurring doctor's name in its dataset and made the much simpler connection that patients seeing an oncologist probably have cancer?

(Might not have been cancer/oncology specifically. And they did catch on and strip out doctors' names to try and fix the data.)

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 13, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

tl;dr finding more tumors might not be automatically a huge positive, really seems to depend on what kind of tumors are found. But I'm not a professional myself.

Finding the tumors is still positive. The failure is in the communication between healthcare professionals and the patient, helping them understand that tumor is not always synonymous with cancer and that surgery is a series of trade-offs with non-trivial risks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Wasn't there already a case where the AI seemingly had an amazing hit rate, only for it to turn out it was picking up on a recurring doctor's name in its dataset and made the much simpler connection that patients seeing an oncologist probably have cancer?

(Might not have been cancer/oncology specifically. And they did catch on and strip out doctors' names to try and fix the data.)

you may be thinking of this one: https://www.beckershospitalreview.c...esearchers.html

machine learning models picking up biases and erroneous correlations from the training set is always going to be an issue

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Finding the tumors is still positive. The failure is in the communication between healthcare professionals and the patient, helping them understand that tumor is not always synonymous with cancer and that surgery is a series of trade-offs with non-trivial risks.

Well usually that is communicated but people just associate tumor = bad and also 'know' that benign tumors could grow bad in 15 years or whatever and they are just as anxious. Obviously not EVERY patient but enough.

The alternative being healthcare professionals not always telling their patient about benign tumors, which gets into patient rights issues and the like.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, I experienced this myself in the last two years, not with cancer, but with my retina degenerating. After five surgeries, the last Oberarzt looking at my bad eye finally sat me down and explained that with my retina looking like it does now, no amount of surgery would ever repair the damage, I'd just be in the same situation every six months: Sitting in front of a doctor patiently explaining to me that the retina welded down last surgery was already coming down like old wallpaper again. Therefore, while mechanically, surgery could continue fixing this problem, it was also pointless unless my retina magically got healthy again.

And so I can now move on with my life and my one remaining eye, instead of anxiously awaiting the next emergency surgery. Sure, that right eye now has a rather pointless artificial lens and will have to carry around a synthetic oil implant forever, but not having to dread having surgery for the same problem over and over feels a lot better

Trying to dig out every single tumor out of someone's body would probably go a lot like this, if the doctors don't take the time to explain why that's not a good option.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also for people that have breasts, you can get benign lumps at certain times of the month due to hormones. Doctors ask people to book mammograms during times when that doesn't happen. Bodies are weird.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

It's really cool that we're replacing people with things that are about as smart as chatbots. Absolutely no disasters heading down the road no siree.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

fun hater posted:

using a calculator is evil when you could be hiring someone to do your math for you

I think it would be VERY funny if corporations were required to pay people to do maths instead of being allowed to use Excel

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Fil5000 posted:

I think it would be VERY funny if corporations were required to pay people to do maths instead of being allowed to use Excel

im a single issue voter now

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

fun hater posted:

im a single issue voter now

Picture it - row after row of whiteboards, each with four people pushing each other out of the way to write in a cell on the grid. Observing from a platform above the Excel Guru points to one board bellows "fill DOWN!" and another hundred human calculators file into the room and take up station downwind of the pointed at board and start frantically copying what was on it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

So Jamie French was recommended earlier in the thread and I really dig her stuff. She did a great video on the mukbang phenomenon which does include the likes of the increasingly tragic Nikado Avacado. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avESdKyusDc

The "observing enjoyment" reason for mukbangs where people on dietary restrictions find it satisfying is an interesting point. Yikes at it also kind of looping around into enabling disordered eating by either repulsing people or triggering that satisfaction feeling in people who should be eating more though.

Also, just watched this Broey Deschanel video about her mixed feelings on the Barbie movie, particularly in relation to its place as a corporate nostalgia-mining franchise film in the midst of the writers and actors strikes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2vE-hFCpLc

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://youtu.be/Lde2xPARIos

Love me a good Twilight internet drama

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There's lots of situations where even generative and derivative AI are appropriate, specifically because they cannot replace any form of labor that has ever existed. There is no universe where the average human being can afford a full-time stenographer to meet their need for 24/7 speech-to-text, but the AI accelerator chip in my phone does an incredible job of letting me post with just my voice.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

DC Murderverse posted:

https://youtu.be/Lde2xPARIos

Love me a good Twilight internet drama

Why does she hold her mic like that? 20 seconds in and I don't wanna watch the rest because of the constant audio issues. "Snap, crackle, and pop" is for cereals, it's not an audio feel any creator should aspire to.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 13, 2023

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Fil5000 posted:

Picture it - row after row of whiteboards, each with four people pushing each other out of the way to write in a cell on the grid. Observing from a platform above the Excel Guru points to one board bellows "fill DOWN!" and another hundred human calculators file into the room and take up station downwind of the pointed at board and start frantically copying what was on it.

Isn't that basically the future imagined in Frank Herbert's Dune?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
FREAK FIIIIIIGHTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXCDrtHt1aA&hd=1

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
My podcast Flash In The Pan recently hit episode 100, and we celebrated by watching every single episode of the Ctrl+Alt+Del Animated Series. Both seasons! We also went deep into the background context and reception of the cartoon, and the comic itself.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Ok, I just finished Jenny’s second Evermore video.

Just watched this, and man, the place is even more dire than on her first visit. They even got rid of the actors, which was basically the only thing they had going.

Edit: loved the part where one of the "Quests" was to decode a message that turns out to be an add for some influencer's cookbook. It's not often you see a real-life Drink Your Ovaltine moment.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 14, 2023

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Gertrude Perkins posted:

My podcast Flash In The Pan recently hit episode 100, and we celebrated by watching every single episode of the Ctrl+Alt+Del Animated Series. Both seasons! We also went deep into the background context and reception of the cartoon, and the comic itself.

MODS, MODS?? This is clearly self harm

Also definitely added to my Spotify to listen playlist.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I finally got this watched last night, and I think it's a great video.
Mind you, I haven't seen the show - but I love the notion of alternative readings of any kind of fiction, especially when they've got some form of backing in the media itself.

Now you'll have to excuse me while I go watch the rest of your videos.

You have no idea how glad I am to find out that it's even remotely approachable without having watched the show beforehand. :v:

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 14, 2023

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Gertrude Perkins posted:

why would you do this to yourself

more importantly, why would you do this to me, as I am nearly caught up with Shrieking Shack and have been looking for something new to listen to at work

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
The answer to "Why????" is because we had a critical mass of listener requests for it, and we wanted to do something special for the big hundo. Also because covering the Looking For Group music video last year left us with some leftover behind-the-scenes info on Blind Ferret Productions and the CAD connection just made sense!

Hope you enjoy if you do listen!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Day[9] talks about the importance of Bear Sex.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

You are sick and depraved.

I'm listening to them as soon as I can.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
jacob and jo play Spy Party, which is a game that apparently came out 5 years ago but felt like it was in development for like a century. it's a good time. those poor twins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs_yLb-D_Ug&hd=1

they mention refunding the game in the video, I really hope they're joking, because it seems super lovely for a big name content creator like alpharad to make a video about a game and then because it was under 2 hours to make the video, refunding it. like, if it's so bad they don't even want to bother uploading the video because it's that bad, that's one thing, but a multi-million-follower youtuber refunding an indie game made by two people that they upload a video publicly for is kinda hosed.

or at least, if you're gonna do it, don't publicly declare you're gonna do it

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Do an episode where you discuss CAD and PA without ever naming either one explicitly after the introduction. Switch between them but avoid giving away that you are doing so. Should be a fascinating experience.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Remember when CAD tried to be "serious"? And I'm not talking about the miscarriage. The comic got full-on rebooted and had an art style shift and lore and all that jazz.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Remember when CAD tried to be "serious"? And I'm not talking about the miscarriage. The comic got full-on rebooted and had an art style shift and lore and all that jazz.

CAD is having its 20th anniversary if you want to feel old. Apparently it's doing a bit with Ethan and... Funny Sidekick That's Not a Girl as the superheroes 'Analog and D-Pad.' Funny Sidekick That Is a Girl is their Lois Lane. Two decades and you've still got it, Buckley!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I remember when people tried to say CAD had vastly improved because it had progressive politics. I didn't believe those people but I checked it out of curiosity and it was just as terrible as before, but the xbox robot was talking about pronouns.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

the xbox robot was talking about pronouns.

lmfao the internet is beautiful

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

everyone talks about loss but no one talks about the time the xbox robot murdered ethan's wife right in front of him

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

everyone talks about loss but no one talks about the time the xbox robot murdered ethan's wife right in front of him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60JlM6ZXHc

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
How can CAD be bad if it has inspired things like strangle.mp4?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I'd forgotten that Bobvids made that.

Meanwhile, have a 50 % positive Sterling video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vo9z7MTE2E

I guess I gotta get me this game.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Exactly the video I was hoping it was.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Dawgstar posted:

CAD is having its 20th anniversary if you want to feel old. Apparently it's doing a bit with Ethan and... Funny Sidekick That's Not a Girl as the superheroes 'Analog and D-Pad.' Funny Sidekick That Is a Girl is their Lois Lane. Two decades and you've still got it, Buckley!

Oh no, what happened to...Lilah? Was that her name? Can't be assed to check. Is it a new Gamer Girl character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
buckley is living his dream and making money drawing unfunny comics... jealous?