Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Eric the Mauve posted:

we all said, for the third straight offseason

he can actually do it next year though by threatening to take his qualifying offer and walk to ufa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

The Canucks have zero faith in Aman or Raty as NHL centres. This isn't really a surprise. They still need to get rid of Myers and/or a winger.

Hopefully that rumoured trade sending Myers to the Sharks is real.

Lol Mike Grier played with Myers

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Maybe he expects that giraffes will do better in warmer weather

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Canucks signed Pius Suter at $1.6m x 2 for some reason. Do they really need another mediocre left shot centre?

Yes, mediocre is a decent improvement on bad. Last season the bottom 6 after Horvat was traded was Dries, Aman and Raty. Those guys should be 13th forwards at best.

Not saying Suter (or Blueger) are going to be a revelation, but if one of them can centre a bottom 6 line that doesn’t get horribly caved in that’s one more than last season.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I think he was the Pope during the Holocaust?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The 05-06 Sens have to be the best team post-lockout to never win a Cup, right? Like, Emery was fine, but losing Hasek was such a huge blow. At 41, he was playing like a Vezina contender.

You also had arguably the most dominant line in hockey that season (it feels like the most dominant I have ever seen, mostly because I got to watch them destroy the Leafs 8 times that season), a still good Redden, and they still had Chara and Havlat. Also, a surprisingly good secondary cast.

I realize they went to the Finals the next season, but 05-06 really felt like the year. I just looked, and while they lost 4-1 to the Sabres in the semi-finals, they were all 1-goal games. That would have sucked.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you mean the best single season team to not win the Cup, definitely the 15-16 or 16-17 Capitals IMO. But I mean, those record setting Lightning and Bruins teams that bombed out of the first round were also pretty drat loaded.

If you're talking best team over a period of years to not win the Cup, gotta be the Sedin Canucks or Thornton/Pavelski Sharks. The current Maple Leafs should be right up there but aren't, because they have no blue line or goalie or coach, and never have. They haven't actually underachieved by much. They've pretty consistently been a second round level team.

e: wow that was a lot of hot takes for one short post, even for me

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 12, 2023

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I guess it's a hard question to answer because I didn't clarify. I meant more a team that was great over a period of years that never won a Cup, but specifying their best year on paper.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
That Sens fan that was around a lot here until the early 2010s (JungleMan, I think) said that 04/05 would have been the Sens year.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Probably gotta go with 10-11 Canucks then. Those Sens teams were drat good for a couple years though and the lockout also cost them a very good shot at the Cup probably

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's probably the Panthers of right now, the Canucks of the early 10s, or the Sharks of the late 2000s. The Preds of the mid 10s also quietly had some good seasons. All of those teams made the finals but couldn't get over the hump. Every other dominant regular season core managed to win a cup even if not necessarily the same year as their absolute best.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I was gonna say the Sharks too. They were consistently excellent for a while.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I feel like Carolina is quickly getting to that point too. They won their division 3 straight years and have generally disappointed in the playoffs. I don’t think any single year has been incredibly dominant but they’ve been a top 5 team and look to be one again this year.

The Rangers never really reached the highest heights of teams like the Sharks but they’ve been pretty good for 15 years with not much to show for it.

Washington and Boston both avoid being on this list by winning their Cup but arguably both could/should have won at least 2 in the past 15 years or so. They’ve been the cream of the crop for several of those years but I guess that’s just hockey baby.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Cup is just a coin toss between the healthiest team and the hottest goalie.

The real prize is the Presidents Trophy. Why else would they call it that? You don't see a Prime Ministers trophy.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mr. Kite posted:

The Cup is just a coin toss between the healthiest team and the hottest goalie.

The real prize is the Presidents Trophy. Why else would they call it that? You don't see a Prime Ministers trophy.

Because it’s the President’s trophy, the trophy awarded to the team with the most points by the President of the National Hockey League. They just never renamed it like they did with the job turning into the Commissioner. It was the President from 1909 to 1993.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mr. Kite posted:

Wrong again!!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

eXXon posted:

Wrong again!!

It's now the Ted Lindsay Award which makes more sense given he wanted to start the union that gives the trophy.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Island Nation posted:

It's now the Ted Lindsay Award which makes more sense given he wanted to start the union that gives the trophy.

We've already got the Rocket Richard Trophy, it should be called the Terrible Ted Award.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jhet posted:

Because it’s the President’s trophy, the trophy awarded to the team with the most points by the President of the National Hockey League. They just never renamed it like they did with the job turning into the Commissioner. It was the President from 1909 to 1993.

I can't wait until the BOG votes to rename it the Gary Bettman Trophy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Gary Aiding and Abetting trophy

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I agree with mindtaker that it’s great that the caps were stopped and only won a single cup with perhaps the greatest generational talent since Gretzky.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
ive never understood why the hart has more prestige that the pearson/lindsay
who gives a gently caress what a bunch of sportswriters think, the players voting you the best is more prestigious imo.

the vezina is also ridiculous, oh lets talk to 32 of the crustiest old hockey men we can to decide the best goalie.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

clean ayers act posted:

who gives a gently caress what a bunch of sportswriters think, the players voting you the best is more prestigious imo.

the vezina is also ridiculous, oh lets talk to 32 of the crustiest old hockey men we can to decide the best goalie.

The hart/pearson split is great because hart trophy voting can get pretty stupid sometimes and the pearson often makes it obvious how off the writers were as the players tend to correctly pick the player who should have also gotten the hart

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

The players put 0 thought or effort into voting and have probably made worse choices on the whole than the Hart.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Post lockout times the Pearson/Lindsay and Hart have disagreed

2018: Hart - Hall, Lindsay - Connor
2013: Hart - Ovie, Lindsay - Sid
2011: Hart - Perry, Lindsay - D. Sedin
2010: Hart - H. Sedin, Lindsay - Ovie
2006: Hart - Thornton, Lindsay - Jagr

Hall over Connor was dumb, not bothering to argue Ovie/Sid, Perry/Sedin was Richard vs. Ross, Henrik/Ovie was Ross vs. 50 goals (Ovie didn't even win the Rocket), Thornton/Jagr was a 2 point gap with Joe taking the Ross and Jagr getting the Goals.

So 1 dumbass Hart pick and 4 close enough.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

You are severely underestimating how dogshit that Devils team was

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

ThinkTank posted:

I can't wait until the BOG votes to rename it the Gary Bettman Trophy.

Given the NBA title is named for a then recently retired Commisioner, that's exactly what they'll do if/when he voluntarily leaves. They probably would've done it for the Stanley Cup if the league actually owned it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

pseudodragon posted:

Post lockout times the Pearson/Lindsay and Hart have disagreed

2018: Hart - Hall, Lindsay - Connor
2013: Hart - Ovie, Lindsay - Sid
2011: Hart - Perry, Lindsay - D. Sedin
2010: Hart - H. Sedin, Lindsay - Ovie
2006: Hart - Thornton, Lindsay - Jagr

Hall over Connor was dumb, not bothering to argue Ovie/Sid, Perry/Sedin was Richard vs. Ross, Henrik/Ovie was Ross vs. 50 goals (Ovie didn't even win the Rocket), Thornton/Jagr was a 2 point gap with Joe taking the Ross and Jagr getting the Goals.

So 1 dumbass Hart pick and 4 close enough.

The players were right on all of these except Ovi over Sedin

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The bitch about that 2006 hart is that Jagr set a new rangers points and goals record and brought life and respectability back to the franchise and absolutely was the driving force behind that team (basically him making Straka and Nylander first liners and then a bunch of depth stuff and Lundqvist being good) and Thornton didn’t even play the whole season for San Jose

Jagr was absolutely the best MVP candidate even though Thornton nipped him in points

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Why would it matter that Thornton was traded midseason?

Edit: as a negative I mean. Thornton won because of narrative in saving the Sharks season in addition to points.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 14, 2023

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

Carrying a dogshit team is not an argument to make when the compariaon is Connor McDavid in every single NHL season.

Thornton also made Cheechoo a Richard winner.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

Even if you're solely talking carrying a team, Nathan MacKinnon carried a significantly worse Colorado Avalanche team into the playoffs and did so with the same number of goals and more points than Taylor Hall. It should've been McDavid but if they wanted to throw an award to a player for single-handedly carrying a bad team into the playoffs, it still shouldn't have been Hall.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

fermun posted:

Even if you're solely talking carrying a team, Nathan MacKinnon carried a significantly worse Colorado Avalanche team into the playoffs

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Yes, he carried his team on his back and elevated his team. Look at both teams performances the season prior.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

When you have a supporting cast of 3 exceptionally good players who outscore the next closest Devil, you are by definition not carrying the team more than Tay Tay.

Colorado had a +20 goal diff that year, and was making the playoffs again the next year. This was the first devils playoffs appearance as a wildcard since losing to the Kings in the SCF as well.
The reason Colorado got better was because they shitcanned Roy.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 14, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The problem with the Hart trophy is that it's the defacto league MVP award and generally treated as such, but every 5-10 years some media guys start a galaxy brain campaign where they point out the wording is "the player judged most valuable to their team" and vote for a guy who had a good season on a bad team that made the playoffs. Taylor Hall was 6th in league scoring the year he won the Hart. It's moronic and besides we already have an award for "the team that most exceeded preseason expectations" it's called the Jack Adams.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 14, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Also Krejci formally retired

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Krejci officially retired but that wasn't a surprise since Bergeron did. Maybe one of the most underrated Bruins ever IMO. Top 10 in franchise history in quite a few categories and played his whole NHL career with Boston. I hope he gets his number retired too but I'm not betting on it.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

ThinkTank posted:

where they point out the wording is "the player judged most valuable to their team"

Didn't realise that actually reading something and comprehending it is galaxy brained, but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

Didn't realise that actually reading something and comprehending it is galaxy brained, but here we are.

It was not and considered anything other than a league MVP trophy until about 2000 when the letter of the award mindset crept in. Even in the 30s it was understood to be a league MVP trophy so they kept giving it to Eddie Shore despite the Bruins being the star studded class of the league at the time.