Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That was a great episode and I didn't really groan too much on the multiverse thing cuz that's kinda been a DC thing for a very long time.

Is it wrong the fact they didn't even hesistate to shoot down Clark with Kryptonite. Like wow ,way to make yourself look like the heroes. That and how much they were like insulting her too, like wow back the gently caress off. Kinda glad Lois Lane ditched them. Her having the krypto though, I can't help but feel her dad or Waller is gonna get their hands on it. Also very much love Jimmy being the wingman once again. God I love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
At first I thought it was a bit odd that there were no Loises that we recognized, but that became a bit more self evident quickly enough

It's tempting to assume that they're just lovely, but if you think about it, anyone who has dealt with an evil Superman--especially if their first Superman was an evil one--would probably have a hair trigger when dealing with him in general. But the fact that there was only a handful of them in the entire multiverse probably speaks to the number of Loises who probably told them to piss off.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I’m assuming the League is made up of Loises whose Supermen all turned evil (though it was also implied that Fleischer Lois is their leader).

Also when Mxy eventually comes back I’ll be curious if they adapt the oddly specific “get him to say his name backwards” weakness or think of some other way to deal with him

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

drrockso20 posted:

The 1940's Fleischer/Famous Studios shorts are very much worth watching(mind you they were made in during the 40's so there is some racial content in several of them), they actually put out a rather good Blu-Ray set for all 17 of them a couple months ago that is rather reasonably priced

Will second this, I have the DVD and so much of it holds up fantastically (but, uh... not Jungle Drums. Hoo boy). Billion Dollar Limited has some fantastic Lois moments.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Assepoester posted:

Yeah in comparison WB made

Batman TAS/TNBA/Batman Beyond
The Batman
Batman Brave and the Bold
Beware The Batman
Batman Unlimited
Batman Caped Crusader (upcoming)

All within a 20-something year span

DC does seem to like to use Superman to headline their ensemble shows or as a guest character rather than to give him his own show - before Batman and Superman TAS they had him in Superfriends for nearly a decade and a half, after TAS they had him in Justice League/JLU, and had him guest star in The Batman and Brave and The Bold, and then Justice League Action before finally giving him his own show again - so maybe that's enough to sell Superman merch.

Batman also has a reoccurring role in Harley Quinn though he’s of course not the main focus. Conversely, Superman does have more live action shows than Batman does however

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Larryb posted:

Batman also has a reoccurring role in Harley Quinn though he’s of course not the main focus. Conversely, Superman does have more live action shows than Batman does however

It is super weird there hasn't been a live action Batman show since the Adam West one and there's a ton of Superman live action shows, and then not that many Superman cartoons but a lot of Batman ones when you would think making a live action Batman show would be easier than a Superman one since Batman doesn't have superpowers.

I genuinely think it's because Batman does better with children and Superman does better with adults, just in focus groups.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

It is super weird there hasn't been a live action Batman show since the Adam West one and there's a ton of Superman live action shows, and then not that many Superman cartoons but a lot of Batman ones when you would think making a live action Batman show would be easier than a Superman one since Batman doesn't have superpowers.

I genuinely think it's because Batman does better with children and Superman does better with adults, just in focus groups.

I guess you could count Gotham but I’m not sure if Bruce Wayne is even in that show (it’s more focused on Gordon and I think takes place pre-Batman).

But yeah, he’s had plenty of movies but aside from some serials from the 40’s and the Adam West show Batman’s never really had much in the way of live action series’ (like you said, it feels like he’d be a lot easier/less costly to do in that medium than Superman would and conversely Superman feels more suited to animation)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Larryb posted:

I guess you could count Gotham but I’m not sure if Bruce Wayne is even in that show (it’s more focused on Gordon and I think takes place pre-Batman).

But yeah, he’s had plenty of movies but aside from some serials from the 40’s and the Adam West show Batman’s never really had much in the way of live action series’ (like you said, it feels like he’d be a lot easier/less costly to do in that medium than Superman would and conversely Superman feels more suited to animation)

Bruce Wayne is a major character in Gotham, but he's not Batman in it, he's a teenager.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm pretty sure Batman in general has normally been more popular than Superman for DC. That's why it's named after his title.

Although DC also has an issue with having a pretty steep drop off in popularity after Batman and Superman, so when you look at the animated DC catalogue, there's not all that many outside of the shows that feature either the two of them or teams with a bunch of different characters.
  • Aquaman 1968
  • The Plastic Man Comedy/Adventure Show 1979
  • The Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam! 1981
  • Swamp Thing 1990 (didn't even get a full season out before getting cancelled)
  • Teen Titans 2003
  • Young Justice 2010
  • Green Lantern: The Animated Series 2011
  • DC Super Hero Girls 2019
  • Aquaman: King of Atlantis 2020
And even with those, a lot of them lean pretty heavily on the worlds of Batman and Superman. Somehow Aquaman is the only other character who managed to carry more than one show, 50 years apart.

Compare with Marvel, which while it has turned out less acclaimed shows overall, has ended up pretty mixed around. I think Spider-Man got the most shows, followed either by X-Men or the Avengers (the rise of the MCU kinda killing off the X-presence in pop culture and kindling a new interest in the Avengers), but aside from that there have been multiple shows for the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, and Iron Man, and still room for weird shows about other characters.

drrockso20 posted:

The 1940's Fleischer/Famous Studios shorts are very much worth watching(mind you they were made in during the 40's so there is some racial content in several of them), they actually put out a rather good Blu-Ray set for all 17 of them a couple months ago that is rather reasonably priced

I've been seeing a number of them on Youtube as well as part of my looking into the history of animation.

I like how the story of how they got made was the Fleischers not wanting to do it, so they said it'd cost ten times more than a normal short, and it got greenlit so they had no choice but to spare no expense and put all their knowhow and techniques into making them the most bespoke and elaborately made cartoon they'd ever put out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, whoever was asking about the Fleischer Superman cartoons, they are really, really good and a huge influence on BTAS and thus a huge influence on all of the Timm/Dini cartoons, and cartoons in general. But they did come out during World War 2 so there's a couple super loving racist episodes. Not so much in the writing, but in the way they draw Japanese people. And in the writing, there's an episode titled "Japateurs"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Larryb posted:

You know that's a good point, Lois and Clark, Smallville, and the new CW Superman series really even it between them, even if they're not cartoons. There's a clear preference there.

Air Skwirl posted:

I wonder if WB are afraid of comparisons to Adam West Batman in that they are self conscious about how campy it is, or if they realize how great it is and know another live action Batman could never measure up.

Air Skwirl posted:

Bruce Wayne is a major character in Gotham, but he's not Batman in it, he's a teenager.
Yeah Gotham is even less of a Batman show than Smallville was a Superman show (where he didn't wear a suit but did superman heroics from the get go), it's all about the cops and supervillains.

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, whoever was asking about the Fleischer Superman cartoons, they are really, really good and a huge influence on BTAS and thus a huge influence on all of the Timm/Dini cartoons, and cartoons in general. But they did come out during World War 2 so there's a couple super loving racist episodes. Not so much in the writing, but in the way they draw Japanese people. And in the writing, there's an episode titled "Japateurs"
It's like looking at the Dr Suess political cartoons and half are absolutely dead on about America First being Nazis and the other half are the most racist Japanese caricatures you've ever seen

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Air Skwirl posted:

It’s me. I’m da baby. Idgaf about Superman.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How was the 80’s Superman cartoon out of curiosity?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm pretty sure Batman in general has normally been more popular than Superman for DC. That's why it's named after his title.

Although DC also has an issue with having a pretty steep drop off in popularity after Batman and Superman, so when you look at the animated DC catalogue, there's not all that many outside of the shows that feature either the two of them or teams with a bunch of different characters.
  • Aquaman 1968
  • The Plastic Man Comedy/Adventure Show 1979
  • The Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam! 1981
  • Swamp Thing 1990 (didn't even get a full season out before getting cancelled)
  • Teen Titans 2003
  • Young Justice 2010
  • Green Lantern: The Animated Series 2011
  • DC Super Hero Girls 2019
  • Aquaman: King of Atlantis 2020
And even with those, a lot of them lean pretty heavily on the worlds of Batman and Superman. Somehow Aquaman is the only other character who managed to carry more than one show, 50 years apart.

Compare with Marvel, which while it has turned out less acclaimed shows overall, has ended up pretty mixed around. I think Spider-Man got the most shows, followed either by X-Men or the Avengers (the rise of the MCU kinda killing off the X-presence in pop culture and kindling a new interest in the Avengers), but aside from that there have been multiple shows for the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, and Iron Man, and still room for weird shows about other characters.

I've been seeing a number of them on Youtube as well as part of my looking into the history of animation.

I like how the story of how they got made was the Fleischers not wanting to do it, so they said it'd cost ten times more than a normal short, and it got greenlit so they had no choice but to spare no expense and put all their knowhow and techniques into making them the most bespoke and elaborately made cartoon they'd ever put out.

Unless I’m forgetting something X-Men only got a small handful of cartoons as well (the 90’s show, Evolution, and an Japanese miniseries or two)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Toshimo posted:

Superman (1941–1943)
The New Adventures of Superman (1966–1970)
Superman (1988)
Superman: The Animated Series (1996–2000)
My Adventures with Superman (2023)

going by these numbers, the Superman cartoon of 2048 will be just okay, but after that 2070 will be popping

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Larryb posted:

How was the 80’s Superman cartoon out of curiosity?

Unless I’m forgetting something X-Men only got a small handful of cartoons as well (the 90’s show, Evolution, and an Japanese miniseries or two)

How could you forget Wolverine and the X-Men?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

How could you forget Wolverine and the X-Men?

Oh yeah, that too (there was also a one shot called Pryde of the X-Men)

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I do love Australian Wolverine. Really needs to come back.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

PicklePants posted:

I do love Australian Wolverine. Really needs to come back.

Good news. He's in Deadpool 3

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The X-Men cartoons also had a habit of being cancelled prematurely for some reason (only the 90’s show got something even close to an ending)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's because nobody at the executive level really cared about kids cartoons and just wanted to get in, make some money and then get out to make the next thing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That look at the future of seasons we never got at the end of Evolution was painful :(

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

That's because nobody at the executive level really cared about kids cartoons and just wanted to get in, make some money and then get out to make the next thing.

A pity because Evolution and Wolverine were pretty good in my opinion

Off the subject, I checked out a few of the Fleischer Superman shorts for the first time. Not only does the animation still hold up really well but surprisingly for the time they actually let Lois be kind of badass occasionally (like shooting at robbers with a loving machine gun)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 14, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Larryb posted:

A pity because Evolution and Wolverine were pretty good in my opinion

Off the subject, I checked out a few of the Fleischer Superman shorts for the first time. Not only does the animation still hold up really well but surprisingly for the time they actually let Lois be kind of badass occasionally (like shooting at robbers with a loving machine gun)

It was WW2, we even let women play baseball back then.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Larryb posted:

The X-Men cartoons also had a habit of being cancelled prematurely for some reason (only the 90’s show got something even close to an ending)

Yes and it's also coming back now because Disney runs off nostalgia.

I wish they would bring back loving Gargoyles already. No having Goliath in ducktales doesn't count

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

It was WW2, we even let women play baseball back then.

True, and to be fair though she often got in over her head I think even in the original comics Lois was typically portrayed as fairly competent/smarter than Clark (a trend that continues to this day in most Superman media though nowadays her and Clark are more like equal partners rather than damsel and hero)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yes and it's also coming back now because Disney runs off nostalgia.

X-Men Evolution deserves a continuation of some sort by an order magnitude than the '92 series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Larryb posted:

True, and to be fair though she often got in over her head I think even in the original comics Lois was typically portrayed as fairly competent/smarter than Clark (a trend that continues to this day in most Superman media though nowadays her and Clark are more like equal partners rather than damsel and hero)

Lois Lane as the main character from "His Girl Friday" is basically how I've always thought of her.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I love how Flescher Superman couldn't fly (least if I remember right) dude just JUMPED REALLY goddamn loving high.

I forgot which short is when he grabs lois and this mad scientist and he just jumps and the next shot is the globe spinning etc as he's about to land.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Shindragon posted:

I love how Flescher Superman couldn't fly (least if I remember right) dude just JUMPED REALLY goddamn loving high.

I forgot which short is when he grabs lois and this mad scientist and he just jumps and the next shot is the globe spinning etc as he's about to land.

It's where he started to fly, since it was easier to animate, but he really lept into it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I noticed in the intro they mention that Clark was found by someone and placed in an orphanage after landing on Earth, were the Kents a later addition to the mythos or something?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

Also I noticed in the intro they mention that Clark was found by someone and placed in an orphanage after landing on Earth, were the Kents a later addition to the mythos or something?

In the very first origin story he was just dropped off at the orphanage. Then when they revisited his origin in... Superman #1 I think the Kents do drop him off at the orphanage, but then decide to go back and adopt him (and baby Clark is wrecking the orphanage of course).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

I wish they would bring back loving Gargoyles already. No having Goliath in ducktales doesn't count

I don't think the Disney corporation as a whole likes the things that come out of the Disney TV division. Spending money on nurturing one of their old properties into a larger franchise isn't very attractive to the execs, especially if it would risk competing with the old and proven IPs they paid big money for.

Larryb posted:

It's less that they were a late addition and more that the Fleischer shorts were really loving early. The character debuted in 1938, the shorts started in 1941. If the Fleischers wanted to put more plot into the shorts, they really could've strongly guided the direction of the character in the future.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think the Disney corporation as a whole likes the things that come out of the Disney TV division. Spending money on nurturing one of their old properties into a larger franchise isn't very attractive to the execs, especially if it would risk competing with the old and proven IPs they paid big money for.

While it's certainly not a guarantee that Weisman would work on a new Gargoyles thing at Disney, Young Justice's later seasons would make me wary about him being on a relaunch. That said I doubt anybody at Disney has any interest unless they get super desperate for content.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, is the Gargoyles comic any good?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Anyone interested in what he would do with new Gargoyles episodes should look at the 20 years of fan Q&A archives on his site. He imagined a lot of content, including five spin-offs and an epic franchise conclusion set 100 years in the future where Xanatos’s grandson and the collective forces of humanity lead a desperate war against the Space Spawn, who have invaded Earth. I guess the gargoyles would also be involved?

The dude’s got a big imagination and is probably way too into lore and story bibles vs keeping a story manageable, but I guess he did pull off a pretty impressive and successful story starting with “New York has gargoyles who fight crime.”

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Relevant to discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDMQ3tXNKgM

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, is the Gargoyles comic any good?

It's okay. I mean, if you're a fan it's enjoyable but nothing to blow your doors off if not. Eliza's still a cop, which is kind of unfortunate but we don't have too many mixed-race Black/Native characters running around and like somebody said she would absolutely be seen as pandering to the wokes if she came out today.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I AM GRANDO posted:

The dude’s got a big imagination and is probably way too into lore and story bibles vs keeping a story manageable, but I guess he did pull off a pretty impressive and successful story starting with “New York has gargoyles who fight crime.”

I think a lot people forget Gargoyles fell off a cliff at the end there with the move to ABC. Though, I don't remember if Weissman was actually involved with The Goliath Chronicles.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 14, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I think a lot people forget Gargoyles fell off a cliff at the end there with the move to ABC. Though, I don't remember if Weissman was actually involved with The Goliath Chronicles.

As I understand it, he wrote the first episode of TGC and then Disney fired him (he’s involved with the comics though which apparently are closer to his original vision of the third season but I’m not sure if those were ever finished/are still going or not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

As I understand it, he wrote the first episode of TGC and then Disney fired him (he’s involved with the comics though which apparently are closer to his original vision of the third season but I’m not sure if those were ever finished/are still going or not)

Yeah, he's writing the ongoing which is basically a continuation of the series.