Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Get one of these bad boys powered by an AAA battery

But for real, there's like billion services that are viable alternatives to Spotify, if you hate Spotify. There's Deezer, Tidal, Qobuz...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

steinrokkan posted:

Deezer, Tidal, Qobuz...

lmao

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
there's hitlertunes, nothinbutskrewdriver, gregnoise, pissfest, the music subsection of hutjunction, buttfartingwavexchange, apple music, myass, literallyananus, polpot, and the cover of electriclarryland

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They do work, if you have a fundamental moral objection to the concept of streaming, then obviously you aren't going to be happy :shrug:

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

They do work, if you have a fundamental moral objection to the concept of streaming, then obviously you aren't going to be happy :shrug:

They’re expensive and probably have the same problem other places do. In rap that means the rights for a sample expire and oops you can’t stream that song or it has to be edited out in such a way that ruins the song

Mixtapes built on using other peoples instrumentals like Da Drought 3 are never gonna stay on streaming

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I can confim gregnoise premium is really good. noises from every greg under the sun and hardly any sneezing. would recommend

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Isentropy posted:

They’re expensive and probably have the same problem other places do. In rap that means the rights for a sample expire and oops you can’t stream that song or it has to be edited out in such a way that ruins the song

Mixtapes built on using other peoples instrumentals like Da Drought 3 are never gonna stay on streaming

Yes, no service is going to have a perfect catalogue containing 100% of all the sounds ever produced by every human throughout history, but op's complaint I was responding to was about the quirks of Spotify's over engineered UI.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Hitlertunes gets a bad rap but they technically re-christened the service so that it's named after Dr. Gay Hitler now, and they no longer have the partnership with Stormfront.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
My strategy / neurosis of Store Everything Locally keeps going out of fashion as the alternatives are so much better, but then keeps coming back into fashion when those alternatives get deliberately hosed up, so overall I feel like I come out ahead.

Pity about the literal drawer full of hard drives.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Get one of these bad boys powered by an AAA battery

But for real, there's like billion services that are viable alternatives to Spotify, if you hate Spotify. There's Deezer, Tidal, Qobuz...

I definitely had one of these at some point when they were new, and there was a different SanDisk mp3 player that had video support and decent storage, and you could mod it with some 3rd part firmware overhaul. It could play Tetris and Doom, which for early highschool was pretty cool, but it was hard to do much with how the physical buttons were laid out around a dial seek pad sort of input.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Hammerite posted:

I can confim gregnoise premium is really good. noises from every greg under the sun and hardly any sneezing. would recommend

it's worth the $5 a month just for the gregs gargling playlist. and the algorithm is amazing, i've discovered so much new greg noise i'm into

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Why don't TVs have picture-in-picture anymore? It seemed to be the big thing about 10 years ago but barely exists today. Was it squashed by the broadcasters because they didn't want you switching over when ads are on?

Also adding TVRs where you could skip the ads on playback, that disappeared pretty quick.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Buy a second hand drum kit and guitar and record your own music. Idiots.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
There's a lot that's gotten shittier with cell phones. Specifically, my phone, a Pixel 5, is now poo poo. A year ago it was fine and the battery was still pretty decent. Then, they keep pushing these updates and suddenly, within a few months, the battery is poo poo and I am lucky if it will boot. This phone was like $500. Why can't it just still work? It's just so hosed up to me. I don't even know if this is something they do intentionally, but I do seem to get the same mysterious phone affliction about 3 years into owning it. I hate everything. I'm going to switch to a Jitterbug. :rant::smithcloud:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
The only reason to update stuff is to maintain compatibility or for critical security issues.

I never understand why people keep on accepting that their stable, useful, familiar system can be turned upside down because some random dev decides that today is New UI Day.

Deactivate automatic updates by any means necessary.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

ryde posted:

The original sin was allowing browsers to become environments for hosting JavaScript applications instead of insisting that they remain a way of viewing linked documents and maybe sending a payload of data to a server via a button+post.

ehhhhhhhhhhhh using the browser as a hardware abstraction layer for poo poo like WebRTC instead of using ten disparate installed clients (each with their own need for support) is really cool and good

capitalism is obsessed with showing moving pictures on every shiny surface possible so most web browsers are wasted on dumb poo poo

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Streaming would actually be fine if it worked.

By 'worked', I mean I want to a feature rich client that doesn't suck (this doesn't exist) and a library with absolute permanence (this doesn't exist).

Streaming makes acquisition as easy as it can be, but it has traded literally everything else for that.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Atopian posted:

The only reason to update stuff is to maintain compatibility or for critical security issues.

I never understand why people keep on accepting that their stable, useful, familiar system can be turned upside down because some random dev decides that today is New UI Day.

Deactivate automatic updates by any means necessary.

I mean, the update for today purported to be for some kind of critical security crap and now my phone is that much shittier, so

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I mean, the update for today purported to be for some kind of critical security crap and now my phone is that much shittier, so

It's ensuring the critical security of the phone manufacturer's finances when they sell you a new phone as a replacement, op

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Streaming would actually be fine if it worked.

By 'worked', I mean I want to a feature rich client that doesn't suck (this doesn't exist) and a library with absolute permanence (this doesn't exist).

Streaming makes acquisition as easy as it can be, but it has traded literally everything else for that.

Yeah, gently caress all that. I'm gonna keep using my time-tested luddite strategy of looking up a band I like on Encyclopedia Metallum, visiting the "similar artists" tag, buying their poo poo on Bandcamp, and sticking it all on an SD card that I can pop into whatever device I'm using wherever I am. Following labels on Bandcamp is also an awesome way to stay on top of new releases and artists. Spotify is morally, aesthetically, and functionally bullshit.

Edit: YouTube Music Revanced is pretty decent for scoping out new stuff compared to Spotify. Better algorithm, better interface, way less social media crap, and they never, ever ask you if you want to listen to a goddamn podcast

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 13, 2023

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
A lot of that is simple software bloat. Even 3 years down the road, Facebook, youtube, et al. want to do more. With newer, more powerful phones hitting the market all the time, most development, including the OS, will be aimed at the most powerful, most common hardware. That means your phone is steadily falling behind with every release of the next thing. The software simply cannot dumb itself down to fit your hardware...not cost efficiently, at least.

It's a mix of the hardware aging (battery capacity), dev laziness (program for the latest), and planned obsolescence (by design or "happy" accident).

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

anonumos posted:

A lot of that is simple software bloat. Even 3 years down the road, Facebook, youtube, et al. want to do more. With newer, more powerful phones hitting the market all the time, most development, including the OS, will be aimed at the most powerful, most common hardware. That means your phone is steadily falling behind with every release of the next thing. The software simply cannot dumb itself down to fit your hardware...not cost efficiently, at least.

It's a mix of the hardware aging (battery capacity), dev laziness (program for the latest), and planned obsolescence (by design or "happy" accident).

This is not really the thread to get into how to solve these kinds or problems, or what decisions could be made different but this is all crap. You could *trivially* do an order of magnitude of work on the same hardware if the software was built differently - if Youtube actually gave the tiniest poo poo about the consumer experience, they could make their phone app and web site so much better. But they don't - and they don't need and frequently they don't *want* to. The consumer is the product and the vast majority of their cooperate give-a-poo poo is working on backend and ad delivery. The decisions they make on the consumer side are informed by goals on ad delivery, not on 'good UX'.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 13, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

This is not really the thread to get into how to solve these kinds or problems, or what decisions could be made different but this is all crap. You could *trivially* do an order of magnitude of work on the same hardware if the software was built differently - if Youtube actually gave the tiniest poo poo about the consumer experience, they could make their phone app and web site so much better. But they don't - and they don't need and frequently they don't *want* to. The consumer is the product and the vast majority of their cooperate give-a-poo poo is working on backend and ad delivery. The decisions they make on the consumer side are informed by goals on ad delivery, not on 'good UX'.

In some cases devs simply can't understand that poo poo performance is a problem. Looking at you, Nintendo eShop

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Tidal is pretty much Spotify but they pay artists marginally better and you don't get a wrapped at the end of the year (I enjoy Spotify wrapped season a lot).

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

I was going to mention that most of the bloat is on surveillance and influencing behavior, but it seemed too obvious to bring up again. My comments really don't specify user experience as the culprit. It's the terabytes of data unrelated to content that they push back and forth on your phone that pushes the limits of older hardware. Because they don't care. This quarter needs the ad revenue to go up.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I replied a Facebook post in a group and it’s sent me 4 emails in a day to tell me I got a reply.

Please engage with this website please please please.

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe

edit: I'm in the wrong drat thread. oopsies

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023

Wilkins Micawber posted:

There's a lot that's gotten shittier with cell phones. Specifically, my phone, a Pixel 5, is now poo poo. A year ago it was fine and the battery was still pretty decent. Then, they keep pushing these updates and suddenly, within a few months, the battery is poo poo and I am lucky if it will boot. This phone was like $500. Why can't it just still work? It's just so hosed up to me. I don't even know if this is something they do intentionally, but I do seem to get the same mysterious phone affliction about 3 years into owning it. I hate everything. I'm going to switch to a Jitterbug. :rant::smithcloud:

I recently bought a Pixel 6a out of necessity after breaking my OnePlus 6. Saying that, I would never recommend a Pixel to anyone, nor would I recommend any of the new 1+ phones. The updates are necessary for security but they don't bother to optimize them for anything not current. It sucks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

skooma512 posted:

I replied a Facebook post in a group and it’s sent me 4 emails in a day to tell me I got a reply.

Facebook had a big sign for me yesterday saying that "Stories are now in Feed!".

Seems to me yet another case of "How dare you not interact with the thing we're trying to push!"

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

skooma512 posted:

I signed up for Linkedin recently and hoo boy is that a desperate app. Notifications for everything. Notifications for people looking at you.

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
Did the thread already cover how every single thing is now a subscription service?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Mr Lanternfly posted:

Did the thread already cover how every single thing is now a subscription service?

Oh yeah, gently caress Adobe for making Photoshop et al. subscription only, and also gently caress my computer for being too new to run CS5 Suite which I used most of frequently until my old computer poo poo the bed and I had to upgrade.

I haven’t ‘shopped in years and GIMP sucks poo poo :(

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

You Are A Elf posted:

Oh yeah, gently caress Adobe for making Photoshop et al. subscription only, and also gently caress my computer for being too new to run CS5 Suite which I used most of frequently until my old computer poo poo the bed and I had to upgrade.

I picked up the Affinity suite to avoid Adobe’s subscription model and it works pretty well, worth checking out the demo if you haven’t already come across it, https://affinity.serif.com

e: it goes on sale every once in a while, I know I've seen sales on Black Friday and around the holidays, not sure if there are other times during the year.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 14, 2023

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

digitalist posted:

I picked up the Affinity suite to avoid Adobe’s subscription model and it works pretty well, worth checking out the demo if you haven’t already come across it, https://affinity.serif.com

e: it goes on sale every once in a while, I know I've seen sales on Black Friday and around the holidays, not sure if there are other times during the year.

Heard good things about this and then promptly forgot what it was called. Thanks for reminding me!

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Photopea seems like a good online image editor. Ive been using it for a bit and no complaints for something basic.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
+1ing Affinity. I've full-switched to their stuff and have been very happy. gently caress Adobe right up the rear end!

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

You Are A Elf posted:

Heard good things about this and then promptly forgot what it was called. Thanks for reminding me!

:cheers:

I'll throw out Capture One as a replacement for Lightroom in case anyone was looking. However, they do release new versions every year and the monthly Adobe subscription cost equals the cost to buy Capture One outright, but if you keep it more than a year you end up paying less. It is a bit frustrating because they have decent yearly updates but I suppose the new features aren't deal breaking. Lightroom is probably still better mind you, anyway, there's a free demo for those interested in trying it out and it usually goes on sale before the release the new yearly update and black friday/holidays if memory serves.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

You Are A Elf posted:

CS6 still works on Windows 10, if you find a copy, unless you're on Mac in which case godspeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The last couple years I’ve definitely noticed a conditioning of customers to not expect value for their money. It feels a lot like the old warnings and criticisms about Communism that Capitalism made