Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Also most people just use the Discord server now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

timp posted:

I’m happy to see Freddie Wong in the (figurative) geodesic dome

Speaking of this, they had a BtS of Dungeons and Dragons Queens that showed the actual layout of the dome and while I understood it wasn’t an actual dome it still baffled me how “The only thing that matters is what’s in the frame” the set is. Just free standing walls to give the appearance of a room.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm here for the greens just forcing their way into becoming regular dropout guests.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Speaking of this, they had a BtS of Dungeons and Dragons Queens that showed the actual layout of the dome and while I understood it wasn’t an actual dome it still baffled me how “The only thing that matters is what’s in the frame” the set is. Just free standing walls to give the appearance of a room.

The first version was much more of a structure and room, but that was really annoying and it all got stripped back to minimum on rebuild.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Bear cock!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Ok, no bit from last night was as memorable as the Evelyn Tucci but it was still funny

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

There’s something that I can’t put my finger on, but Anna’s donut order is one of my favorite bits ever.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I appreciate offering Grant a lesser punishment, and also Grant for not taking it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Apparently Dropout is back to production. They were being cautious as they weren't specifically on the list of non-struck contracts, but they got confirmation that they're good so they're starting back up, but are still supporting the strike and not forcing performers to promote if they feel uncomfortable about it.

https://twitter.com/samreich/status/1688955479765155840

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

New season of D20 looks sick, really excited for it :getin:

I’m happy to see Freddie Wong in the (figurative) geodesic dome and I really hope it eventually leads to an all Dungeons & Daddies season of D20. Anthony has been on Um, Actually (as has Freddie) so hopefully they’re on their way to making that happen someday sooner rather than later

The 6th player would probably be either Ashly Burch or Jimmy Wong, but I would die of happiness if they tagged in one of the Hey Riddle Riddle crew instead :swoon:

I wonder whether the Daddies brand of chaos would fit into a Brennan DMd campaign. I'm not sure it would?

(I stopped listening early in season 2 though, so maybe things are different?)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Hank Green recorded a vlog about his experience on Dimension 20, now that Dropout people can actually advertise their stuff again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWmEgUxfw5Q

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Watched a bit and huh, Hank may be another of the rare group of people that can completely break Brennan.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 10, 2023

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

someone's been playing psychonauts by the look of it

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
That first episode was great, loved the projections and lighting too.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Lots of great penis content from your favorite YouTube science guy.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Hank Green's Jimmy Stewart impression seems so affable that I missed that he's doing the noir trope of a heavy menacingly explaining something

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 12, 2023

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That was one of the best campaign starters.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Hemipenes

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Fully in love with this after the last side quest just didn't catch me. My current working theory is the big guy is working on some Manhattan Project-level military technology. Obviously this would be a great step forward career-wise, but his conscience is objecting. Ambition is powerful and morality is a small, quiet, easily-silenced voice.

Loved the little twist about A. Tension and Imelda Pulse being cousins, I'm sure that freezer key won't come back anywhere at all. I'm also weirdly pleased that snake dick is a runner now, Hank's menacing monologued was just plain outstanding. I think the casual way he's playing the character is a great turn from either the evil-loving sadist brute or the easily-manipulated stupid oaf archetypes.

I really loved the brief discussion about good impulses during the adventuring party, I agree with Brennan that those don't get enough representative in media.

I recently watched Brennan's Wanderhome episode with Alex and a bunch of other people I'd never heard of, and Alex was a standout for me - they had that quick-response rich characterization I like so much about D20. I think they're nailing it here. Freddie's voice needs work imo but I love the character, Danielle is a cinnamon roll as always, and Siobhan is my favorite all-around regular D20 cast member so she can do no wrong by me.

I feel like this is a concept/format they could reuse, if they wanted to - I think it's going to wind up going in a kind of Persona direction, and I already want more.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
We just started Crown of Candy and the first big battle in Episode 2 is a rough watch. The terrain is very visually striking and flavorful but it blocks seeing what's going on. Even the players note multiple times that they aren't sure where other characters are. Without spoiling any details, all the extra combatants really slow things down as well. Hopefully later battles go a little more smoothly.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

whydirt posted:

We just started Crown of Candy and the first big battle in Episode 2 is a rough watch. The terrain is very visually striking and flavorful but it blocks seeing what's going on. Even the players note multiple times that they aren't sure where other characters are. Without spoiling any details, all the extra combatants really slow things down as well. Hopefully later battles go a little more smoothly.

CoC has some of the best individual combats in the series, without spoilers I would say it improves from there.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
CoC has some bumps for sure and is probably my favorite low fantasy campaign I’ve listened to, and among my favorite d20

E: just remembered i actually listened to the first 3 or 4 episodes as a podcast instead of watching lol

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hoshi posted:

CoC has some bumps for sure and is probably my favorite low fantasy campaign I’ve listened to, and among my favorite d20

E: just remembered i actually listened to the first 3 or 4 episodes as a podcast instead of watching lol

I listened to all of fantasy high s1 not realizing there was video. I had to rewatch it and everything made so much more sense.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

CK07 posted:

My current working theory is the big guy is working on some Manhattan Project-level military technology. Obviously this would be a great step forward career-wise, but his conscience is objecting. Ambition is powerful and morality is a small, quiet, easily-silenced voice.

Agreed. I was thinking along similar lines. Guessing the switchboard was probably smashed so that someone like Imelda couldn't take back the package. Too bad they acted too late, and she already used her key. Maybe the Mayor is the ultimate bad guy (driven to deliver this package and do everything he can to get it done, up to and including having the Conscience bumped off), or maybe it's a red herring for something worse that the mayor is trying to prevent.

No clue yet what the mental highways falling apart mean, yet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Some of it may just be systemic failures happening because of the great depression as essential maintenance doesn't happen.

(It took me embarrassingly long to realise the great depression setting was the big guy having depression)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 14, 2023

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The players didn't really comment on The Big Guy getting a big shot of adrenaline served to all the drink establishments in town midway through the session. I wonder if that's him panicking about having taken the package back or...?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The highest of praise? Karaoke Night is back!

https://twitter.com/samreich/status/1691135105824362496

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

quote:

Wayne Brady

I'm sorry what

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
My wife and I thought that The Big Guy is in the process of having a stroke or something like that but we were also pretty stoned while watching so we probably missed some important clues.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

MikeJF posted:

Some of it may just be systemic failures happening because of the great depression as essential maintenance doesn't happen.

(It took me embarrassingly long to realise the great depression setting was the big guy having depression)

Bobulus posted:

The players didn't really comment on The Big Guy getting a big shot of adrenaline served to all the drink establishments in town midway through the session. I wonder if that's him panicking about having taken the package back or...?

Further Mentopolis plot/setting speculation: Yeah, I think Brennan making the point that time is on a different scale inside Mentopolis suggests to me that the adrenaline and the collapses are the big guy's immediate reaction to having followed the impulse to grab the parcel - he's just now (likely at the mayor's behest, who likely represents rational thinking or executive function) starting to think about the consequences of stealing this super-important info, and getting flop-sweats - remember the sweaty buttcrack? The highway collapsing signifies, to me, the flight-freeze-or-fight reaction which can shut down higher cognitive functions.

The fact that it takes a full print-news cycle, so maybe 12-24 hours in Mentopolis, to communicate a physical sensation that IRL moves at a nearly instantaneous speed via electrical pulses through the nervous system, suggests to me that the entire six-ep series is going to occur over, at absolute most, like five minutes of real time. Unless there are time-skips, of course. I imagine Imelda would have noticed she was being followed within just a couple of Mentopolis days, though I can't remember if she mentioned a timeline of newspaper->executing impulse->tailing->Curio's office.

I love this poo poo.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I generally don't watch the D&D stuff, but a big fan of Game Changers. Was debating canceling my subscription for a few months while I wait, but the Wayne Brady episode just dropped.

110% worth it. Dear lord, I am crying with laughter.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
That is one I'm definitely going to rewatch sometime. I loved that last song, so catchy and fully delivered on the prompt. Dropout continues to be the most worth it subscription I have.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Holy crap, there are some real bangers in that episode. Slip n slide is legit catchy.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That might just be my new favorite Bob Marley song.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Yeah the Beastie Boys song had me smiling the whole way through.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

drat, I've never been big on Brady but when you get that kind of praise from someone that made a national name from improv, of all things, that has to be a high point.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

drat, I've never been big on Brady but when you get that kind of praise from someone that made a national name from improv, of all things, that has to be a high point.

I mean, who else is even doing taped improv? Wild n Out? (which I've definitely seen Wayne Brady guest on?)

Not trying to undersell the compliment because it truly is high praise, but the fact that there's very few shops in that town sorta undercuts it in my opinion. Like was that meant to also be a jab at someone else who isn't doing it right?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

timp posted:

I mean, who else is even doing taped improv? Wild n Out? (which I've definitely seen Wayne Brady guest on?)

Not trying to undersell the compliment because it truly is high praise, but the fact that there's very few shops in that town sorta undercuts it in my opinion. Like was that meant to also be a jab at someone else who isn't doing it right?

Is this a cut bit from Um, Actually?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Holy poo poo, this episode of D20 was incredible.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

There's now a D20 Kids on Bikes tradition of players saying poo poo so terrifying the GM breaks character

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Xand_Man posted:

There's now a D20 Kids on Bikes tradition of players saying poo poo so terrifying the GM breaks character
Stacey Fakename

Also my eyes went wide and I audibly gasped at the end of this episode. Love it when a show pulls a swerve in the last 20 seconds of an episode.