Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Ultimately I hope that Rheinmetall works with Ukraine to build maintenance capacity inside Ukraine to make the logistics a little simpler.

Well, there's this from back in July: Rheinmetall does plan to build and repair tanks inside Ukraine

Since Rheinmetall's CEO mentioned those future facilities will also be for "other armored vehicles", we can assume they're including IFVs and mobile artillery like the PzH 2000 under the vehicles they want to build/mantain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
More Perun, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rBlVnc_DEw

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Him & Anders Puck Nielsen having a fireside chat, sweet! :peanut:

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Pretty interesting write up a downed Shahed that looks to be produced domestically in Russia:

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/d3be20c31acd4112b0aecece5b2a283c

Looks like the Russians got the plant up and running fairly quickly, not a big surprise given the simple design.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bird food bathtub posted:

I must be a big dumb dumb. How is a series of smoke generators helpful for a miles long bridge? I can't see it being realistic to hope to conceal the entire thing and bridges are not what I would consider highly mobile.

Look, obviously Putin placed a gigantic array of smoke generators the entire miles-long length of the bridge

They are just only activating those generators in the precise areas Ukraine attacked with missiles to save smoke pellets as is only wise

Also they are wisely arresting anyone who might photograph the smoke generating areas because they need to ensure the enemy does not know their attacks failed

In conclusion, believing everything the Russian media states is very intelligent

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Look, obviously Putin placed a gigantic array of smoke generators the entire miles-long length of the bridge

They are just only activating those generators in the precise areas Ukraine attacked with missiles to save smoke pellets as is only wise

Also they are wisely arresting anyone who might photograph the smoke generating areas because they need to ensure the enemy does not know their attacks failed

The guy they arrested literally filmed the location of their air defence. Ukraine also asks people not to film air defence at work, and some still got in trouble for precisely that, it's an obvious security measure. As much as Russia usually tends to downplay any damage, in this case the bridge is already open for transit, and there is no evidence whatsoever that it was further damaged in the attack.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

Pretty interesting write up a downed Shahed that looks to be produced domestically in Russia:

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/d3be20c31acd4112b0aecece5b2a283c

Looks like the Russians got the plant up and running fairly quickly, not a big surprise given the simple design.

That the one that allegedly uses child slave labor?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

OddObserver posted:

That the one that allegedly uses child slave labor?

We don't know how many facilities that have or whether or not components are produced together under one roof

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/security/2023/08/northern-fleet-kicks-major-barents-sea-command-and-staff-exercise

quote:

Northern Fleet kicks off major Barents Sea command and staff exercise

20 warships, submarines, support ships, and airforce. More than 8,000 servicemen participate as Russia early Friday morning sent out its largest fleet to the Barents Sea for war games.

The exercise comes unsurprisingly. Earlier this week, the Barents Observer reported about Russia issuing NOTAM-warnings for two larger areas north and south of Norway’s Bear Island in the western Barents Sea. “Impact areas for missiles,” the warning to civilian air traffic said.

Norway, worried about consequences for its search- and rescue capabilities in the waters around Svalbard, can do nothing to hinder Russia from using the Norwegian Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) as an impact area for cruise missiles. This is international waters.

“The Law of the Seas gives states access to conduct military exercises in other states’ 200-mile zones,” says spokesperson with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Oslo, Ane Haavardsdatter Lunde to the Barents Observer.

“Russia can therefore carry out military training activities in Norwegian 200-mile zone,” she adds.

Lunde underlines that Norwegian authorities assume Russia’s military exercises are “carried out in a way that safeguards Norwegian rights under the Law of the Sea and international law in general.”

That also includes Norway’s fishing rights, Lunde says.

Fishing trawlers and other civilian vessels are warned by Russia’s Sea Port administration for the European Arctic to keep out of the two large training areas in the western Barents Sea. For a trawler captain, that could mean days without fishing and extra fuel costs by sailing away to safe distance.

The Russian warnings are operative from Friday morning to Monday evening.

“During the exercise, under the leadership of the commander of the fleet, Admiral Aleksander Moiseev, various options for managing the forces and troops of the fleet will be tested in the performance of tasks to protect the sovereignty of the Russian Federation in the waters of the Northern Sea Route,” the press service of the Northern Fleet in Severomorsk writes.

Fighter jets took to the skies Friday morning north of the Kola Peninsula to protect the 20 warships now sailing out. A few nuclear-powered submarines are also involved, as well as coastal missile systems and special military formations.

Within a few days, several of the warships will be deployed for the Northern Fleet’s annual Arctic Expeditionary Vessel Group, aimed to protect the Northern Sea Route. Such forces normally sail to the Kara- and Lapte Seas, for landing training at the Taimyr Peninsula and New Siberian Islands. However, in 2021, the large anti-submarine warship “Severomorsk” together with support vessels suddenly turned west in the northern Barents Sea and sailed to the west coast of Svalbard.

Thereafter, the navy group continued east to its predicted route north of Siberia.

Norwegian fishers have told Russians to gently caress off, however. And they have the right to do so, but I would be worried myself that my fishing trawler was recognized as a Ukrainian torpedo boat...

It's also an obviously Russia threatening NATO by having the exercise in Norwegian waters. The invasion of Ukraine was also preceded by Russia declaring all of Ukraine's Black Sea areas as prohibited due to military exercises. NATO is presumably going to have a heightened presence in the area to watch what the Russians are doing and to interfere if they really start sinking fishers.

In conclusion, Bear Island is the new Snake Island and thus

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You do not gently caress with Norwegian fishermen :black101:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Nenonen posted:

20 warships, submarines, support ships, and airforce.

yeah but no aircraft carriers LOL

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

LifeSunDeath posted:

yeah but no aircraft carriers LOL

They will tow a barge filled with truck tires to the sea and set it alight to simulate the presence of Kuznetsov.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

The Russians have a history of provocative exercises in the Barents sea. To us in Norway, this is like North Korea rattling their sabers to remind South Korea they're there.

Norway has important assets in that area that's bound to have accompanying military support. Like there's a couple of oil platforms, which have had a coast guard presence since Russia hosed with that oil pipe near Denmark. And the tags at bottom left of the map is Andøya where we develop satellites and other rocket science poo poo, some of which gets sold to America. There's likely US/NATO subs in the area at any given time.

So while this exercise is scary, there's comfort in it being normal and that they couldn't just walk over us if they were up to something.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 13, 2023

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

fuctifino posted:

On the subject of yesterday's attack, this popped up on my radar regarding one of the videos

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1690407041674747904

This reminds me (sadly) of that joke about the FBI, the CIA and the KGB competing to see who is best at finding and capturing targets.

They designate a wooded area. A neutral third party operative releases a rabbit into the woods and each agency is given a chance to capture the rabbit.

The FBI goes in with helicopters and hundreds of agents beating the woods in search lines. After several hours they conclude that the rabbit has gone to ground and issue a warrant to be followed up by law enforcement at a later date.

Next up is the CIA. They send in a small number of field agents with local language capabilities and contacts. After 24 hours of searching they are able to report conclusively that a rabbit or rabbits were active in the woods and that threat warning levels should be elevated for a period not less than three months.

Finally the KGB goes in with two agents. The sound of cracking branches and snarling briefly rings out, and fifteen minutes later the two agents return, leading a bear between them. The bear looks back and forth at the two agents, then turns to the adjudicator and says “I am a rabbit. My parents are rabbits…”

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Artificial Kid posted:

This reminds me (sadly) of that joke about the FBI, the CIA and the KGB competing to see who is best at finding and capturing targets.

They designate a wooded area. A neutral third party operative releases a rabbit into the woods and each agency is given a chance to capture the rabbit.

The FBI goes in with helicopters and hundreds of agents beating the woods in search lines. After several hours they conclude that the rabbit has gone to ground and issue a warrant to be followed up by law enforcement at a later date.

Next up is the CIA. They send in a small number of field agents with local language capabilities and contacts. After 24 hours of searching they are able to report conclusively that a rabbit or rabbits were active in the woods and that threat warning levels should be elevated for a period not less than three months.

Finally the KGB goes in with two agents. The sound of cracking branches and snarling briefly rings out, and fifteen minutes later the two agents return, leading a bear between them. The bear looks back and forth at the two agents, then turns to the adjudicator and says “I am a rabbit. My parents are rabbits…”

I think I saw that joke verbatim but about Israeli Shin Bet in one of Joe Sacco journalistic comics

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1690867960825470976

ISW claims Russian milblogger says that the Kupiansk region requires reserves that they don't have to break through. I google translated the footnoted source and it seems to not say what ISW says. Can any Russian speaking goons take a crack?

https://t.me/voenkorKotenok/49795 Heading 4 specifically.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

fatherboxx posted:

I think I saw that joke verbatim but about Israeli Shin Bet in one of Joe Sacco journalistic comics

Either Mossad or Shin Bet is a common third security service in the Israeli version of this joke. (Usually goes CIA, KGB, Mossad/Shin Bet). The foreign services are usually shown as being successful (the KGB comes back with a dead rabbit, but they still got it). I the variations I'm familiar with have the Israeli service's agents not coming back for days, so the agents of the other two go look for them, only to find them torturing a bear to make it admit it's a rabbit.

In short, I bet Sacco heard it from an Israeli when doing his research for Palestine.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And here I though the entire stock of Soviet Trabants had been mulched and/or sold to credulous Westerners by now

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

And here I though the entire stock of Soviet Trabants had been mulched and/or sold to credulous Westerners by now

Maybe the Trabants, but the Bukhankas are still rolling around...
https://twitter.com/UnseenOps/status/1690764555675119618?s=20

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Artificial Kid posted:

In comic form:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MikeC posted:

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1690867960825470976

ISW claims Russian milblogger says that the Kupiansk region requires reserves that they don't have to break through. I google translated the footnoted source and it seems to not say what ISW says. Can any Russian speaking goons take a crack?

https://t.me/voenkorKotenok/49795 Heading 4 specifically.

It's this part that talks about needed reserves and it's a bit indirect about not having them:

quote:

При хорошей ситуации в прорыв нужно вводить немалый резерв, есть возможность пойти. В районе Купянска зреет окружение одного из танковых подразделений ВСУ. Но… Вопрос в резервах, в людском ресурсе…

Machine translation by Deepl (usually better than Google):

quote:

In a good situation in the breakthrough need to enter a considerable reserve, there is an opportunity to go. One of the tank units of the AFU is being encircled near Kupyansk. But... The question is in the reserves, in human resources....

Probably ISW is basing their statement of RU not having the reserves not only on this telegram post but also on other information they have. But that's guessing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wouldn't the FBI grab their own completely seperate rabbit that they've been supplying with alfalfa and fake explosives for the last six months?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The FSB would come up with a bear with rabbit tattoos sharpied on and three copies of the sims

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Wibla posted:

I hope they're collaborating about improvements to the design to make it more maintainable over time.
Most of the maintenance is replacing barrels.

Peace-time barrel life is 1000 rounds. Ukraine is apparently often shooting hundreds of rounds per day per Pzh2000. The barrels have supposedly still been usable after shooting up to 10k rounds.

This problem is inherent to artillery, and probably why Russian artillery pieces are rapidly disappearing out of depots. Shooting tens of thousands rounds per day means using up dozens of barrels per day.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 14, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DTurtle posted:

Shooting tens of thousands rounds per day means using up dozens of barrels per day.

Only if you care about accuracy.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Rugz posted:

Which could just as easily be hammering the Democrats by saying that Biden is just a continuation of Obama's weak foreign policy, rather than that Biden is wasting American money on the losing side.

He sold this country a bill of goods and now the chickens are coming home to roost

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Only if you care about accuracy.

Don't you also eventually get the risk of the shell exploding inside the barrel/your artillery system?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Griefor posted:

Don't you also eventually get the risk of the shell exploding inside the barrel/your artillery system?

We've seen a bunch of Elmer Fudd-ed barrels, yes

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

DTurtle posted:

Most of the maintenance is replacing barrels.

Peace-time barrel life is 1000 rounds. Ukraine is apparently often shooting hundreds of rounds per day per Pzh2000. The barrels have supposedly still been usable after shooting up to 10k rounds.

This problem is inherent to artillery, and probably why Russian artillery pieces are rapidly disappearing out of depots. Shooting tens of thousands rounds per day means using up dozens of barrels per day.

Bolding mine. It probably contributes to Ukraine having limited artillery superiority in tube artillery in the south, even while not having rocket superiority.

Griefor posted:

Yes. There are pictures online of howitzers split open like a flower. It's not really the shell's payload exploding so much as the propellant's explosion finally breaking the barrel catastrophically. I suppose such an event could also end up detonating the payload, but I don't know how much of a difference it would make. We're already talking about several kg of explosives ripping apart chunks of steel and throwing them around.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Wizard Master posted:

He sold this country a bill of goods and now the chickens are coming home to roost

I'm normally annoyed when someone quotes a post from a dozen pages ago but I'll make an exception for in-depth analysis like this.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

Yes. There are pictures online of howitzers split open like a flower. It's not really the shell's payload exploding so much as the propellant's explosion finally breaking the barrel catastrophically. I suppose such an event could also end up detonating the payload, but I don't know how much of a difference it would make. We're already talking about several kg of explosives ripping apart chunks of steel and throwing them around.

Having the HE filler in the shell go off would be worse, but HE tends to be varying degrees of insensitive, and the fuses are designed to be safe until they're fired.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Having the HE filler in the shell go off would be worse, but HE tends to be varying degrees of insensitive, and the fuses are designed to be safe until they're fired.

*offer not valid for 50-year-old cold war surplus

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08
https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1690788730397667329

Are there solutions to super dense minefields that could be provided? No idea what is possible.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

saratoga posted:

Are there solutions to super dense minefields that could be provided? No idea what is possible.

Nuclear air burst? Flooding the plain and boating over? I mean the whole point of them is to be a dangerous pain in the rear end to remove.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 15, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

saratoga posted:

Large amounts of explosives is the quickest way but it's got lots of very obvious downsides.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

If they are that close together it seems like chain reactions would be likely and you could maybe clear them that way? Like those Bangalore type things?

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Early on there were purpose build mine clearing tanks which shot out lines of detcord to clear large areas but I haven't seen those mentioned for a long time now. One of the big problems with those was that they were big priority targets that were easy to takeout if used close to the front lines.

One idea is to do much that same thing by using multiple drones to carry the detcord but that would take a new design and testing phase before it could be rolled out in reliable numbers. One off examples could be kludged together but a purpose build aerial drone mine clearer is probably a long time off.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

E. Revenant posted:

Early on there were purpose build mine clearing tanks which shot out lines of detcord to clear large areas but I haven't seen those mentioned for a long time now. One of the big problems with those was that they were big priority targets that were easy to takeout if used close to the front lines.

They only have a handful of those is another problem.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

E. Revenant posted:

One idea is to do much that same thing by using multiple drones to carry the detcord but that would take a new design and testing phase before it could be rolled out in reliable numbers. One off examples could be kludged together but a purpose build aerial drone mine clearer is probably a long time off.

On the plus side Ukraine has been able to get things like their drone boats from concept to implementation fairly quickly so while drone mine clearers also have a bunch of hurdles they can probably be addressed with significant momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I read an article where western trainers were telling Ukrainians that mine fields are usually only several hundred meters wide and a few meters deep so it’s best to just maneuver around them. The Ukrainians laughed and said they were encountering minefields that were several kilometers wide and several hundred meters deep.