Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

My resource is https://www.limitedgrades.com/, but if I'm doing quick drafts for some reason (did a lot of MID and VOW because that was before I started on arena) I would go directly to 17lands and really go over the data because then I can draft around bot pick order.

Against real people you can try to favor certain decks still but you have to be much more flexible and actually try to move into what's open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
LR went all in on crypto and NFTs so I kinda stopped listening to them after that

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
They got an FTX sponsorship because LSV is (was?) buddies with SBF.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Rinkles posted:

They got an FTX sponsorship because LSV is (was?) buddies with SBF.

LSV also worked for StoryBook Brawl which got boring by FTX and then had to shut down when it went under.
Oh and he promoted that weird own a share of a black lotus company, I don't know if that one went under or not though.

neaden fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 13, 2023

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Last I listened to LR, which was in the lead up to MoM draft and poo poo, there wasn't a trace of crypto poo poo in their ads, which was nice, but I have no idea if it'll come back or not.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
New Rhystic Studies! Let's take a trip down memory lane to the summer of 2019.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I like lords of limited, the hosts have a good chemistry and seem like nice guys

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Elblanco posted:

Last I listened to LR, which was in the lead up to MoM draft and poo poo, there wasn't a trace of crypto poo poo in their ads, which was nice, but I have no idea if it'll come back or not.

I had not picked up on anything like this at all in the 4 or 5 podcasts I listened back to, only game talk.. I don't even really remember there being ads lol. I think the crypto zone is pretty dead now anyways, not many people are going to get into that poo poo now that haven't already I think.

but I swear this happens to me every time I start listening to a podcast and recommend it, it always turns out that the guys doing it were on Epstein's airplane or served 18 months in prison for stealing welfare cheques from senior citizens

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My issue with LR is that it is just the most phoned in superficial analysis. You can tell they barely play much any more and are just coasting on ingrained intuition. They devote so little of the show to actually dispensing useful stuff. If you want direct info and actionable advice to actually play your best it’s definitely limited Level-Ups and then lords of limited for that imo.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/_cancerculture_/status/1690796487456718849?s=20

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

lmao

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tiger Millionaire posted:

I like lords of limited, the hosts have a good chemistry and seem like nice guys

I stopped listening to them because the guy who is actually good sounds like kind of a dick. I remember him complaining about his students in training sessions asking questions and got grossed out and stopped

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The way draft is set up in arena, you really can't draft casually and expect it to not be a terrible experience. You need to be good at magic first, then you need to listen to podcasts and look up stats and also play a shitload of limited before you stop flushing money down the toilet.

But on the other hand, we need lots of new drafters to subsidize everyone else who goes all in on it. For someone to go infinite, we need people going 0-3. I think drafting got a lot harder since golden packs, since a lot of 0-3 people just quit drafting and bought packs with gold, and then people who were averaging 3-3 are now losing more than they win, so some of them also just gave up on it, and the ladder is a lot more hardcore now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like FNM paper drafts because it feels like the folks there are not the pros in bronze I seem to face in Arena drafts. Also because even when you get your rear end kicked the person is often helpful, my decks always get better after the person I lose to looks at my sideboard and is like "umm." I like to think of myself as not being 0-3 always, I feel like I can usually get 1, but more than once that 1 has been a Bye round for me which is kinda worse than winning if you gotta kill that hour.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Big problem in arena is that for Bo1 drafts the players with bad decks and/or bad gameplay likely crash out after 3 to 6 matches whereas the players with good decks and/or good gameplay will likely play 7 to 9 matches so just from pure numbers you're going to have to play a majority of matches against good decks. In arena Bo3 or in paper this feels more balanced with the additional bonus of playing in pod for paper. Arena Bo3 being unranked makes it wildly swingy though and the reward structure isn't great.

So in summary draft in paper is the best if it weren't for the fact it'd cost me 800 quid a year to draft once a week lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

A Moose posted:

The way draft is set up in arena, you really can't draft casually and expect it to not be a terrible experience. You need to be good at magic first, then you need to listen to podcasts and look up stats and also play a shitload of limited before you stop flushing money down the toilet.

But on the other hand, we need lots of new drafters to subsidize everyone else who goes all in on it. For someone to go infinite, we need people going 0-3. I think drafting got a lot harder since golden packs, since a lot of 0-3 people just quit drafting and bought packs with gold, and then people who were averaging 3-3 are now losing more than they win, so some of them also just gave up on it, and the ladder is a lot more hardcore now.
I cannot emphasize enough how good of a resource goons are. You can hop over to the Arena thread right now and discuss drafts, I started out doing that - posting screenshots of my deck and sideboard, asking for build opinions, discussing picks - and then I joined the Discord, started streaming my drafts and got so much good advice. Now I go positive almost every draft, it took me less than a year going from total newbie to excelling at it and being the advice-giver.

I think less than 100 drafts in a year is not quite "a shitload"?

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Mate, spread out over a year that's doing it almost twice a week on average, doing that in Paper at my local would cost me over 2 grand(AUD) for the year and I'd have a pile of over 4000 cards by the end of it just from doing that, that's a metric poo poo ton of drafting

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Other posted:

Mate, spread out over a year that's doing it almost twice a week on average, doing that in Paper at my local would cost me over 2 grand(AUD) for the year and I'd have a pile of over 4000 cards by the end of it just from doing that, that's a metric poo poo ton of drafting
I guess! There's a lot of goons who draft until set completion, like four drafts a day lol I can't swing that. I have no paper comparison because I don't play paper. I would draft more but I do stuff in my free time besides Arena - it really is fun, though.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

elbkaida posted:

Big problem in arena is that for Bo1 drafts the players with bad decks and/or bad gameplay likely crash out after 3 to 6 matches whereas the players with good decks and/or good gameplay will likely play 7 to 9 matches so just from pure numbers you're going to have to play a majority of matches against good decks. In arena Bo3 or in paper this feels more balanced with the additional bonus of playing in pod for paper. Arena Bo3 being unranked makes it wildly swingy though and the reward structure isn't great.

So in summary draft in paper is the best if it weren't for the fact it'd cost me 800 quid a year to draft once a week lol

Stay in gold otherwise at platinum 4 you may get paired against top 50 mythic players like I have multiple times.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Whooping Crabs posted:

Stay in gold otherwise at platinum 4 you may get paired against top 50 mythic players like I have multiple times.

That’s fun tho

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Time posted:

That’s fun tho

TBF it rules when you crush #20 mythic in a draft at lowly plat 4 but usually I get rolled

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

I’m now hoping the dumb bonus sheet for draft in this set is Planeswalker Reprints with a special Wanted Dead or Alive Poster frame.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Would they be so bold as to have the Western set forgo Flying creatures entirely for Horsemanship? Taking bets now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Would they be so bold as to have the Western set forgo Flying creatures entirely for Horsemanship? Taking bets now.

all the horses on thunder junction will have wings

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I hope there's vehicles but they can only be crewed by horses somehow.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

If the Riders of Rohan didn't have horsemanship in a non-Standard set, there's 0% chance they ever do this.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I think it would really keep the limited experience glued together

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Toshimo posted:

If the Riders of Rohan didn't have horsemanship in a non-Standard set, there's 0% chance they ever do this.

Which was bizarre because they printed a new Horsemanship card in colour in the previous set's commander decks

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Which was bizarre because they printed a new Horsemanship card in colour in the previous set's commander decks

That was just a cheeky way of saying "unblockable", which you can get away with in commander decks. Having them in a set would mean they would need to be tuned to be neigh-unblockable in kitchen table / commander but also as normal flyers in draft, which probably just isn't possible. Plus you probably don't want newer players exposed to 'these two mechanics are identical but don't interact in any way'.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Is there a reach equivalent for horsemanship?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

pikesmanship

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

That was just a cheeky way of saying "unblockable", which you can get away with in commander decks. Having them in a set would mean they would need to be tuned to be neigh-unblockable in kitchen table / commander but also as normal flyers in draft, which probably just isn't possible. Plus you probably don't want newer players exposed to 'these two mechanics are identical but don't interact in any way'.

There are commander exclusive LotR cards and one of the decks is called Riders of Rohan. Herald of Hoofbeats would have been perfect for it (and I assume a lot of people pick it up to upgrade it)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

tuned to be neigh-unblockable

booooooooooooooooo

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

https://scryfall.com/card/vis/126/army-ants

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

idgi

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Horses are notoriously terrified of all sorts of poo poo, including ants, so much so that sometimes they'll fall over dead of fright.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Poor Freckles

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

"Poor Freckles, thought of ants and died" is a well-known forums quote about the physical constitution of horses (they die easy)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

A Moose posted:

I got back into the game with Arena. I've never paid for Arena. The way I worked out the math back then is if you're knocking out the daily quests, maybe refreshing 500's to get 750's, it works out to a free draft every week or so. Maybe every 10 days. Quests aren't hard, logging in every 3 days to play for 30 minutes or 5 games should cover most of them. Like, yeah if you want to draft every day (and are bad at it, and don't know the set, and are incapable of learning) it might be expensive? But I don't think I understand the complaint.

Seconding Simon's recommendations for the Arena thread and the Discord channel, both great resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

OneDeadman posted:

I’m now hoping the dumb bonus sheet for draft in this set is Planeswalker Reprints with a special Wanted Dead or Alive Poster frame.

I want the Thundergun Express UB tie-in to be Trigun now, thanks