Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, I remember thinking something like "bloody hell, is there at least one marine that has their poo poo together?"

Still not as annoying as "Otay-go."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I really wanted some marines with robotic limbs but it’s way too risky to try and get a couple dismembered - they’d probably just die instead.

There should be an option to ask for volunteers to get an amputation or two.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Red Rox posted:

I really wanted some marines with robotic limbs but it’s way too risky to try and get a couple dismembered - they’d probably just die instead.

There should be an option to ask for volunteers to get an amputation or two.

:stare:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Am enjoying Dark Descent. Currently my medic has developed a fear of blood, another marine has paranoia and becomes stressed when deployed with other marines (i.e. every mission) and my sergeant becomes very upset when he sees aliens. I also chuckled on the very first mission when I saw the negative traits my marines started with, including cowardice, bad luck and being clumsy. Clearly the marine corps is not sending their best.

I remember seeing a reviewer remark that these Marines must've been tricked into joining by a recruiter in a high school cafeteria somewhere.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 14, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

William Bear posted:

I remember seeing a reviewer remark that these Marines must've been tricked into joining by a recruiter in a high school cafeteria somewhere.

Despite being in the future, some things never change :v:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oh dammit am I gonna have to buy this

Sentinel Red posted:

Saw Alien on the big screen tonight, a 35mm print of the Director’s Cut. Was great to finally do so, and with a full house too, which I wasn’t expecting at all. A woman sitting behind me must have been seeing it for the first time as she let out a hushed ”..oh. gently caress.” at the Special Order 937 reveal, followed by panicky yelping to Milky Boi a few minutes later.

Lol this owns

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Am enjoying Dark Descent. Currently my medic has developed a fear of blood, another marine has paranoia and becomes stressed when deployed with other marines (i.e. every mission) and my sergeant becomes very upset when he sees aliens. I also chuckled on the very first mission when I saw the negative traits my marines started with, including cowardice, bad luck and being clumsy. Clearly the marine corps is not sending their best.

To be fair, I think most of us would become very upset if we saw aliens.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mad Hamish posted:

To be fair, I think most of us would become very upset if we saw aliens.

The one I find amusing is the one where the stress level rises regularly whenever there's more than three marines in your squad, like how did they even make to the point where they're being deployed lol

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I have bad news for you about the real Marine Corps.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

The one I find amusing is the one where the stress level rises regularly whenever there's more than three marines in your squad, like how did they even make to the point where they're being deployed lol

He REALLY likes the cornbread

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Neo Rasa posted:

Given how mentally messed up all these Marines are even before they start fighting nightmares from Hell, the guy who’s leery of standing next to the rest of these people while they’re packing heavy weaponry is probably the one sane person of the bunch.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mild spoilers for "The Expanse"

In the big attack scene at the end of Season 6, there's a screen that shows the people involved and it's a ton of names from Aliens

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
All the talk about RICO today got me thinking of Starship Troopers.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

redshirt posted:

Mild spoilers for "The Expanse"

In the big attack scene at the end of Season 6, there's a screen that shows the people involved and it's a ton of names from Aliens

It's not just character names from Aliens, it's a whole bunch of sci-fi references.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

All the talk about RICO today got me thinking of Starship Troopers.

You ordered a bunch of shirts from Redbubble a while back. What did you think of the quality? I ordered a Fury 161 shirt and was eyeing off a Nostromo design.

I was trying to find inexpensive screen printed/non-transfer printed shirts but didn't have much luck. I think someone might have bought some recently on Amazon Merch?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I remember getting my WY and Nostromo shirt and the quality is just fine. Standard I suppose?

edit: I just found the email from 2 years ago and both redbubble pages for the shirts no longer exist :(

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

It's not just character names from Aliens, it's a whole bunch of sci-fi references.

Great link, thank you. I just wish there was a Weirzbowski.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hey, they did a J. Rico in that list!

Speak of the devil.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I just watched Alien Resurrection for the first time in 20 years or so as part of a marathon with my wife, and I was wondering beforehand if it had gotten better with age.

It has not. If anything it’s gotten worse. It is a rotten abomination of a film and feels like the whole thing was written by a teenage edgelord.

Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to let Joss Whedon anywhere near the Alien franchise.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I just watched Alien Resurrection for the first time in 20 years or so as part of a marathon with my wife, and I was wondering beforehand if it had gotten better with age.

It has not. If anything it’s gotten worse. It is a rotten abomination of a film and feels like the whole thing was written by a teenage edgelord.

Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to let Joss Whedon anywhere near the Alien franchise.

Brad Dourif is pretty good in A:R, in a stupid, over-the-top way. I kinda liked Leland Orser as Purvis, too.

It has a bunch of actors that I like, just put together into a weird stinker of a movie.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah it's bizarre. The cast is pretty good.

Brad Dourif is great in anything he's in and gives it his all so yeah that's easy. Ron Perlman, Sigourney Weaver, Winona Ryder.... :swoon:

It was just a straight up bad movie. imo The weird director had some strange shots that I absolutely did not like. It made it off-putting. And the writing was trash.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 17, 2023

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah it's bizarre. The cast is pretty good.

Brad Dourif is great in anything he's in and gives it his all so yeah that's easy. Ron Perlman, Sigourney Weaver, Winona Ryder.... :swoon:

It was just a straight up bad movie. imo The weird director had some strange shots that I absolutely did not like. It made it off-putting. And the writing was trash.

Bizarre. That's a really good word for it!

I think confused is another.

The humor wants to make the movie something it's not, but it works by itself. The "edginess" (maybe?) is what the movie wants to be, and falls flat. Like, just go all out if you want to. Make The Fifth Element with xenos.

Pennywise, are you familiar with The Incal series of comics? If not, I think you might like it. Story by Alejandro Jodorowsky (El Topo, The Holy Mountain) and art by famed bandes dessinnées comics artist Moebius (loving... a lot of poo poo, including Alien, Tron, The Fifth Element, The Abyss). It's a loving trip. It touches on corruption of the soul in a more philosophical way than the all-consuming xeno plague and how their very being feeds into our existing problems, but the themes are roughly similar. Fifth Element, if you enjoy that, borrows heavily from The Incal.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Maybe I've asked that before?

Fuckin' guys sitting at the bar, telling each other the same stories back and forth. Deja-poo.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Ever wonder what they used to make the APC in aliens?

The APC M577 (Armored Personnel Carrier) from Alien (1986) was built over an actual vehicle, the airplane towing tractor Hunslet ATT77.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The Last Call posted:

The APC M577 (Armored Personnel Carrier) from Alien (1986) was built over an actual vehicle, the airplane towing tractor Hunslet ATT77.

The Soviets UPP used a... modified mining truck thing-a-ma-jig:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

madeintaipei posted:

Brad Dourif is pretty good in A:R, in a stupid, over-the-top way. I kinda liked Leland Orser as Purvis, too
Orser is a joy any time he shows up to play "guy in over his head and just absolutely not holding it together".

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Slugworth posted:

Orser is a joy any time he shows up to play "guy in over his head and just absolutely not holding it together".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1xtiuqWFCc

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Last Call posted:

The airplane towing tractor in Grand Theft Auto 5 is named the “Ripley” for this exact reason.

The APC in ‘Aliens’ is also bigger on the inside than it is on the outside - when the Marines line up to get in it, they have to duck their heads to get inside, but once they’re in they can stand at full height.
This is because the airplane towing tractor has no interior aside from a small cockpit (it’s all drive motor so it can, you know, tow airplanes) so James Cameron had to fake it and then use a separate “APC interior” set for the actors.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Last Call posted:

So the pilot’s name in Dark Descent was Hunslet, that’s a nice little nod towards the base vehicle :unsmith:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lord Ludikrous posted:

And that tosser blamed everyone but specifically Joss Whedon for why that movie sucked such a gently caress. No, your script had a lot to do with why it was poo poo, Joss, you loving boy.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Resurrection gets a lot better* once you realize it's an edgy 90s Dark Horse Comic book put in motion. Some of the weird camera angles mentioned would work just fine as still pictures or drawings on a page.

*Well, not "better", but more enjoyable at least.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

evobatman posted:

Resurrection gets a lot better* once you realize it's an edgy 90s Dark Horse Comic book put in motion. Some of the weird camera angles mentioned would work just fine as still pictures or drawings on a page.

*Well, not "better", but more enjoyable at least.

Was there even a comic they were drawing inspiration from? Or was it all Whedon’s twisted fever dream that we all watched by accident?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The most charitable thing I can say is it wouldn't have been an easy movie for anyone to write, assuming "Sigourney's back" is non-negotiable. Once you kill off Ripley you've kind of written yourself into a corner. Of course you don't need to make that corner an open-air toilet and compound the issue.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

Was there even a comic they were drawing inspiration from? Or was it all Whedon’s twisted fever dream that we all watched by accident?

Not that I am aware of, it's just the style it resembles the most, after reading many Aliens vs [Blank] crossovers in my earlier years.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've said it before ITT but Resurrection was almost complete dogshit except for the aforementioned Brad Dourif and Leland Orser, AND the body horror scene with all the failed Ripley clones is one of the most unsettling moments in the series.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I thought the scene where the xenos have a swim was cool :3:

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Rappaport posted:

I thought the scene where the xenos have a swim was cool :3:

Yeah that part was cool and something new. Underwater scenes are always tense for me cause I end up holding my breath the whole time haha.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Aquatic xenomorphs? Cool!
Call, as the sole survivor of the android artificial person rebellion? Cool! There’s got to be a story behind that somewhere that could’ve been fun.
The Newborn getting history’s worst hickey ever? :stonklol:
As stated earlier, the body horror of Ripley’s failed clones? :gonk:

And despite all these things that sound cool, Whedon managed to gently caress it all up by being himself at the script (and probably the cast too).

e: seriously, the aliens realizing that their blood will destroy the cage they’re held in could’ve been a cool moment too, to show the creatures are capable of visual learning and as a callback to the Queen using the elevator in Aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/dannytrs/status/1692207155628191890?s=61