Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Smashed out Jury Duty in a couple of days. Highly enjoyable. Not nearly as cruel as I thought it would be. The Office-esque stuff not concerning the Mark were also pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Just started the rehearsal and it's, well, it's something lol

Some of the interactions are so outrageous that they seem fake, but the internet consensus seems to be that it's not really staged in that subjects themselves are not actors.

It's just the little tidbits that make it incredible, like the dude talking about spending time with his grandpa and then just casually dropping in that they watched dragon Ball z together. Just amazing stuff like that. Proof that there are just some genuinely weird people in the world.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Stephen Spielberg's Amazing Stories (1985). Lots and lots of fun performances from guest stars, but wow a lot of the stories don't hold up well, and many of them are forgettable. "Amazing" seems to be a synonym for Boomer nostalgia with questionable themes. Like, become a hoarder even if it ruins your life because all that old crap will totally be valuable someday, and the world needs more hoarders, gently caress all the people who don't respect your "treasures". A lot of the plots are also very similar to plots in other anthology TV shows and movies, but I'm too lazy to look up which came first.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Buttchocks posted:

Stephen Spielberg's Amazing Stories (1985). Lots and lots of fun performances from guest stars, but wow a lot of the stories don't hold up well, and many of them are forgettable. "Amazing" seems to be a synonym for Boomer nostalgia with questionable themes. Like, become a hoarder even if it ruins your life because all that old crap will totally be valuable someday, and the world needs more hoarders, gently caress all the people who don't respect your "treasures". A lot of the plots are also very similar to plots in other anthology TV shows and movies, but I'm too lazy to look up which came first.

I think I've only seen it once since it originally aired, but I remember the Mummy Daddy episode being awesome

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Just started the rehearsal and it's, well, it's something lol

Some of the interactions are so outrageous that they seem fake, but the internet consensus seems to be that it's not really staged in that subjects themselves are not actors.

It's just the little tidbits that make it incredible, like the dude talking about spending time with his grandpa and then just casually dropping in that they watched dragon Ball z together. Just amazing stuff like that. Proof that there are just some genuinely weird people in the world.

If you're not familiar with Nathan Fielder giving people enough rope to hang themselves and reveal inherent weirdness is kind of his thing so I'd be shocked if it was fake. I highly recommend his previous project "Nathan For You" too. The Gas Station and Ghost Realtor episodes spring to mind as great ones and one of the very few times you see Nathan's mask start to slip after someone reveals something about themselves.

Also "How to with John Wilson" (which is produced by Fielder) is great and in a similar vein of spotlighting people's weirdness.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 6, 2023

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

isaboo posted:

I think I've only seen it once since it originally aired, but I remember the Mummy Daddy episode being awesome

Yeah, that one was a standout.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Nathan Fielder is also where the “all of my friends are just out of frame” meme comes from too.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

isaboo posted:

That and The Family Dog were the ones that stood out longest in my memory.

I watched Amazing Stories a while back and can concur that it was hit and miss, but that's the nature of anthology TV. Good news is, if you don't like some story or characters, they won't be back again.

Been watching Tales from the Darkside in a similar vein on and off, since as a kid I remembered the creepy commercial on all the time for its late night timeslot. Some good, some bad. One standout was the Christmas episode with parents telling their children a scary story about the Grither, a monster that lives at the North Pole not far from Santa, who can hear his name being spoken anywhere in the world and will come for you if you say it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Tea Bone posted:

If you're not familiar with Nathan Fielder giving people enough rope to hang themselves and reveal inherent weirdness is kind of his thing so I'd be shocked if it was fake.

There seem to be a lot of legal restraints preventing anyone from truly giving us the full scoop but the impression I'm getting from the few people who gave out some info (eg: Jasmine), is that it's not scripted and they don't know what to expect, but they're more primed for weirdness than we're led to believe--like (s3 finale) Jasmine wasn't some girl from OKCupid like the show claimed, she was actually auditioning for, and was told that it was, a dating show, together with several other girls. She and the other girls could all tell it was a mask and they were expecting a gimmick like it would turn out to be Tom Cruise or something.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Killer robot posted:

Been watching Tales from the Darkside in a similar vein on and off, since as a kid I remembered the creepy commercial on all the time for its late night timeslot. Some good, some bad. One standout was the Christmas episode with parents telling their children a scary story about the Grither, a monster that lives at the North Pole not far from Santa, who can hear his name being spoken anywhere in the world and will come for you if you say it.
Yes! I love that episode!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Killer robot posted:

That and The Family Dog were the ones that stood out longest in my memory.

Did somebody say The Family Dog?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Red Oktober posted:

Nathan Fielder is also where the “all of my friends are just out of frame” meme comes from too.

fffffffff I knew I recognized him from somewhere but having never seen any of his shows or videos I was stumped. LOL this is it, for sure.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did somebody say The Family Dog?

Another fun thing: pretty sure that Amazing Stories episode was Brad Bird's first director credit. It was based on a test reel he made with some help from Tim Burton in college.

Really that's part of the fun of anthology shows in general: seeing what familiar faces and names turn up in contexts you never would have expected.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Argue posted:

There seem to be a lot of legal restraints preventing anyone from truly giving us the full scoop but the impression I'm getting from the few people who gave out some info (eg: Jasmine), is that it's not scripted and they don't know what to expect, but they're more primed for weirdness than we're led to believe--like (s3 finale) Jasmine wasn't some girl from OKCupid like the show claimed, she was actually auditioning for, and was told that it was, a dating show, together with several other girls. She and the other girls could all tell it was a mask and they were expecting a gimmick like it would turn out to be Tom Cruise or something.

I must admit I didn't know this but it doesn't worry me too much. I think there is a difference between making up the framing ( i.e auditioning for a dating show Vs being a random match from Hello Cupid ) and feeding them lines. Lying about where he's found people is sometimes necessary for a cohesive story to the episode.

I'd also say it matters who he's doing this with. Jasmine wasn't really the mark in that episode, most of the comedy doesn't come from her reactions she's just there as a reason to do the stunt, the mark is the guy who decided to go along with the scheme. For example I'd be more disappointed to hear that the people in the gas station episode thought they were auditioning for dinner an exploration/hiking show and not just people who decided it was worth climbing a mountain for a 2 dollar rebate

There are also a few times in the Rehearsal that hint the marks know something is up. Angela saying something to the effect of "I understand this is for a comedy show" when she wants to leave. which I guess is part and parcel of Nathan being in the public eye for a while now. I don't think it takes away from the insane things she would come out with on camera though or the fact she went along with it for so long.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Got to SVU season 22, the covid season, and it’s hilarious to see a) random characters masking/unmasking at just the strangest times, and b) the crazy blocking and shot selection to keep social distancing characters all in frame.

A doctor stopping to discuss the victim’s injuries with a detective outside the ICU? No one’s masked. Another detective arrives masked and the two walk away? The first detective masks up.

Scene to scene different characters are masked, sometimes they’re close together other times across the room.

Wild times.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

Got to SVU season 22, the covid season, and it’s hilarious to see a) random characters masking/unmasking at just the strangest times, and b) the crazy blocking and shot selection to keep social distancing characters all in frame.

A doctor stopping to discuss the victim’s injuries with a detective outside the ICU? No one’s masked. Another detective arrives masked and the two walk away? The first detective masks up.

Scene to scene different characters are masked, sometimes they’re close together other times across the room.

Wild times.
that's a much higher level of accuracy than I would expect from SVU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

mystes posted:

that's a much higher level of accuracy than I would expect from SVU

I'm ~1.5 episodes deep and the trouble is it doesn't appear there's logic to it.

the detectives always carry masks if they're not wearing them, but they go on and off, distancing or not, almost randomly.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Not so much a binging, but since I went to streaming only, I will have the Bob Barker-era The Price is Right on for background noise.

Besides him being a known sex monster, Bob is often a dick to the contestants. Also, it's annoying as hell watching people play the pricing games and constantly looking to the audience for help.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Fate Accomplice posted:

I'm ~1.5 episodes deep and the trouble is it doesn't appear there's logic to it.

the detectives always carry masks if they're not wearing them, but they go on and off, distancing or not, almost randomly.

They made a joke

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'd imagine a large majority of people watching SVU at this point are anti maskers so I'm surprised they wore masks/social distanced at all.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Reservation Dogs is solid gold. Taika waititi projects for TV are hit or miss for me. I sorta liked Our Flag Means Death but it kinda screwed itself once Blackbeard joined up. What We Do In The Shadows rules, so that's 2/3 thus far.

Res dogs has some great young kids for performers, some hilarious episodes and some Heartbreakers, and some of the best First People representation ever. They even blur out the eyes of owls in episode 3 because they're seen as a bad omen

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Waititi has very little to do with Rez Dogs, I think he basically just helped with the first episode so it had a name attached to it and was more likely to get picked up. It is a great show, though!

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Based upon the ads (and the good RT reviews).....I have been giving 'This Fool' a shot. Gets a little more 'blue' than I like at times....but overall it's really funny. It's stupid and kind of wacky and it works. The Austin Powers stuff from the fifth episode was hilarious.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 13, 2023

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Finally got around to watching Orange is the New Black. Midway through second season. Lots of good acting, and the storyline is pretty good so far. It does get really prisonspoitationy at times though. I like how the backstories of the characters are presented. With a cast of this size, it's easy for characters to just be checkboxes on a trope list, so it's nice that their characters get filled out. In contrast, the prison staff are written so cartoonishly that it really messes with the tone of the show. I have to think it was a deliberate choice, but I'm not sure what they were going for. I think it undercuts the abusiveness of the staff by making them all into comic buffoons. Also I would have preferred less Jason Biggs.

Burn the House Down (Netflix). Midway through the series. Pretty good so far. The fact that the main character is trying to restore her mother's memory instead of trying to just get revenge or clear her own name saves the show from being an infuriating slog like this type of show usually is. The title of the show suggests the only logical resolution for the story, and I will be disappointed if that doesn't literally happen in the end.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Painkiller is ok but I feel like Dopesick already did everything it wanted to do in a more harrowing way. Michael Stuhlberg is also a much more menacing Richard Sackler than Matthew Broderick.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Reservation Dogs is solid gold. Taika waititi projects for TV are hit or miss for me. I sorta liked Our Flag Means Death but it kinda screwed itself once Blackbeard joined up. What We Do In The Shadows rules, so that's 2/3 thus far.

Res dogs has some great young kids for performers, some hilarious episodes and some Heartbreakers, and some of the best First People representation ever. They even blur out the eyes of owls in episode 3 because they're seen as a bad omen

Ep 2 and 3 of the new season are probably going to stick with me as memorably great episodes of TV. I love this show. I've had the first two seasons as #1 in my top 10 of those years and I'm guessing S3 is going to be right up there again.

We've been catching up with a couple of recent-ish shows. I think we're in S4 of Justified. Fun show, love pretty much all the characters. All the double-crossing and who's pulling strings among the different mob factions gets a little exhausting.

We're also been binging Bosch, we watched S1 a while ago and then put down for some reason. This show seems really underrated. Really enjoying the noir-ish feel and the interweaving of cases over the 10-ep seasons. Sometimes the middle episodes don't feel like there's much motion but pretty soon the plots are running downhill. The b-plots of family stuff, precinct politics, or power struggles with the DA or mayor's office work pretty well imo. It is kind of funny how high a body count the lead detective has when the writers are spending time on excessive force/crooked cop story lines.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Ep 2 and 3 of the new season are probably going to stick with me as memorably great episodes of TV. I love this show. I've had the first two seasons as #1 in my top 10 of those years and I'm guessing S3 is going to be right up there again.

We've been catching up with a couple of recent-ish shows. I think we're in S4 of Justified. Fun show, love pretty much all the characters. All the double-crossing and who's pulling strings among the different mob factions gets a little exhausting.

We're also been binging Bosch, we watched S1 a while ago and then put down for some reason. This show seems really underrated. Really enjoying the noir-ish feel and the interweaving of cases over the 10-ep seasons. Sometimes the middle episodes don't feel like there's much motion but pretty soon the plots are running downhill. The b-plots of family stuff, precinct politics, or power struggles with the DA or mayor's office work pretty well imo. It is kind of funny how high a body count the lead detective has when the writers are spending time on excessive force/crooked cop story lines.

I'm interested in Bosch, but one question. How much of the series is focused on kids who got killed? I read that in the synopsis somewhere, and I feel like so many shows do that, True Detective season 3 did it ok. But it's not quite as enjoyable as your good old fashioned older person murder.

I dunno how many scenes of distraught parents talking about their killed kids I need. The Big Sleep didn't have any kids get killed.

I've been meaning to get back to Justified forever. Elmore Leonard is one of my fav writers.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I think first and last season have kids getting hurt as main plot thread. I don't remember if it comes up in smaller cases.

Crate & Barrel ftw

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Maddie and Money Chandler have the best interactions with Harry :colbert:

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm interested in Bosch, but one question. How much of the series is focused on kids who got killed? I read that in the synopsis somewhere, and I feel like so many shows do that, True Detective season 3 did it ok. But it's not quite as enjoyable as your good old fashioned older person murder.

I dunno how many scenes of distraught parents talking about their killed kids I need. The Big Sleep didn't have any kids get killed.

I've been meaning to get back to Justified forever. Elmore Leonard is one of my fav writers.

I am putting this in spoiler tags because while it doesn't spoil the plot of any season or stuff like that per se, if someone wants to go in completely blind, well. Anyway :siren: MILD SPOILERS FOR BOSCH THE COP SHOW! :siren:

Two seasons' (the first and the seventh) a-plot revolve around a dead kid, and there's a couple of b-plots about it too, but as BetterLekNextTime wrote, the show is fundamentally different from a procedural cop show in that it takes a whole season to solve, or not, a couple of cases, as opposed to criminal-of-the-week procedurals. This means that the cop-to-parent conversations don't take up that much of the total air time, but I understand if that's a hard pass just because of dead kids :smith:

That said, the show gets pretty hard-core about really dark themes around crime in general in a few places, so it can be a rough ride depending on what specific things make you uncomfortable.

I seem to re-watch Bosch once a year now, so I'd say it's a good show if gritty cop drama feels interesting to anybody. The show has bad cops as well, but it doesn't subscribe to ACAB since the protagonist is portrayed as a good guy, so everyone's mileage will vary.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Nearly finished season 1 of House of Cards and I was genuinely surprised to see how casually Frank Underwood was while seemingly spur-of-the-moment planning and ultimately murdering Peter Russo with carbon monoxide poisoning. You could see the gears in his head turning as the scene was progressing during the whole conversation in the car, so it didn't completely come out of nowhere but still one heck of a step up compared to everything else so far.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

other people have answered already and I haven’t gotten to s7 yet. If it’s the parental reactions you are concerned about, I’d say beyond the first season, there are several other seasons where adult children are killed. I don’t think it wallows in the grief since there are so many other things going on but it’s there. I’d say give it a try, and know the first season has one of the more hosed up families.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks for the takes, I'll give the show a go sometime. Also my fav comic writer John Wagner (Judge Dredd guy) is a big fan of Michael Connelly, so I'm curious to see some of his stuff. He also did that Lincoln Lawyer character, I have a book where he meets Bosch.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Lotus Aura posted:

Nearly finished season 1 of House of Cards and I was genuinely surprised to see how casually Frank Underwood was while seemingly spur-of-the-moment planning and ultimately murdering Peter Russo with carbon monoxide poisoning. You could see the gears in his head turning as the scene was progressing during the whole conversation in the car, so it didn't completely come out of nowhere but still one heck of a step up compared to everything else so far.

That was foreshadowed in an earlier scene where Frank tells Peter how to commit suicide, subtly encouraging him to do it

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Bosch is filmed on location much like The Bear with Chicago and if you've spent any significant time in LA you'll be doing a lot of double takes. Has that going for it.

Justified is an all time favorite of mine right up there with Hannibal and The Expanse. I can rewatch it forever. Leans on the campy at times and you'll find yourself wondering how the gently caress this protagonist still has a job for all shenanigans he's pulled, but I love the cast too much to get hung up on the occasionally iffy writing

Legion and The Americans (don't really have a lot in common other than the network) from similar release timeframes were also excellent FX shows.

Watch The Americans after Justified S2 if Margo Martindale blew you away and you want to see more of her.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 14, 2023

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
There's some truly absolutely terrible shows with big name actors and budgets lately. Just watched Hijack, and while fun, the writing is just awful. Like holy poo poo, who the gently caress wrote this awful.

But then I watched Special Ops: Lioness and oh my god, it's even worse.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Skins UK is pretty drat good and it's beyond strange to see Baby Nick Hoult, Baby Dev Patel and Baby Daniel Kaluuya (along with some Baby GoTers) as kids before they became serious Oscar candidate talents. Show is 15 years old but feels more fresh than that.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Constellation I posted:

There's some truly absolutely terrible shows with big name actors and budgets lately. Just watched Hijack, and while fun, the writing is just awful. Like holy poo poo, who the gently caress wrote this awful.

But then I watched Special Ops: Lioness and oh my god, it's even worse.

I just binged that last night. The first episode is truly absolute jingoistic boomer bait and I would not have kept watching except I was high and drunk. The next episodes are still not good, but strangely compelling. Gampora’s husband is a pretty likable character, at least.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Started watching China's Three Body Problem and it's good and true to the book, but it's super slow. I will probably finish it but it's wearing on me when nothing really develops from an episode.

The later part of the book gets crazy so I'd like to see how they do it.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I got invited to see Joe Pera do standup this weekend so I decided to finally watch Joe Pera Talks with You to prep for it. Holy hell what an incredible show. I watched the entire first season last night and would tear up at the most innocuous moments. The time it happened was this delivery:

"Watching liquids flow from a large container, to a small container, is a delight."

I now understand why people like ASMR. Just an incredibly wholesome and calming show that still has me busting out laughing several times at ep. Pera has found the perfect combination of Young Child + Old Man in a millennial's body. Like Doctor Who's introverted cousin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

MokBa posted:

I got invited to see Joe Pera do standup this weekend so I decided to finally watch Joe Pera Talks with You to prep for it. Holy hell what an incredible show. I watched the entire first season last night and would tear up at the most innocuous moments. The time it happened was this delivery:

"Watching liquids flow from a large container, to a small container, is a delight."

I now understand why people like ASMR. Just an incredibly wholesome and calming show that still has me busting out laughing several times at ep. Pera has found the perfect combination of Young Child + Old Man in a millennial's body. Like Doctor Who's introverted cousin.

Very enjoyable show. Hopefully we haven't seen the last of it.