Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
to be fair to grimes, I can't imagine she's ever participated in a conversation where someone has underestimated her understanding of a given subject, so how would she know the difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Is Rogue a roguelike?

If I'm The Wicked ZOGA, am I like The Wicked ZOGA?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Context would help.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Rogue is not like Rogue, because while likeness requires similarity, that similarity must be under 100%. At 100% similarity, likeness simply becomes isness. Rogue is not a roguelike, but a rogueis

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Samovar posted:

Context would help.

Roguelike is a genre of games, usually defined by procedurally generated levels and randomly distributed enemies/items. Nethack, Hades, The Binding Of Isaac, stuff like that. It's named after Rogue, a game from 1980, that pioneered a lot of the base gameplay ideas. It's kinda like how for a while, first person shooters were 'Doom clones'; the genre's named after their relation to a common father.

This person is reviewing that Rogue, the one he's reviewing.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I'm gonna be real with you man, I feel like you could've figured that out

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Samovar posted:

Context would help.

Rogue is a forty‐year‐old computer game.

The game world is communicated to the player as lines of descriptive text and as a map drawn by glyphs of text.

Rogue is the inspiration of a genre of games known as “roguelikes”. Wikipedia’s description here is decent.

quote:

Roguelike (or rogue-like) is a subgenre of role-playing computer games traditionally characterized by a dungeon crawl through procedurally generated levels, turn-based gameplay, grid-based movement, and permanent death of the player character. Most roguelikes are based on a high fantasy narrative, reflecting their influence from tabletop role playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons.

There facets are all present in Rogue, but like every genre, there’s been a lot of creativity and drift over the decades, and today’s gamers may find Rogue to be unlike other games they have played in its eponymous genre.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Is there an artist like Grimes? I'm asking because she's actually done some songs that I've really connected with, like Oblivion.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, thanks for the context. I genuinely had no idea the genre was originally pioneered by Rogue. Now I get it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

grittyreboot posted:

Is there an artist like Grimes? I'm asking because she's actually done some songs that I've really connected with, like Oblivion.

I still propose that we attribute all of her music to Frank Grimes. He'd appreciate the attention.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

grittyreboot posted:

A grimeslike

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

grittyreboot posted:

You can like art made by dipshits

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
"FPS" is a failed genre name, let's go back to calling them DOOMlikes.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

grittyreboot posted:

I don't know what Grimes sounds like and am not about to learn but gnoosic has done me right sometimes when trying to find new bands that sound like bands I like and it threw Pearly Drops and HANA at me so hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57tym90S-UY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJXW42t6ExE

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

Bogus Adventure posted:

Oh man...

I think I just realized what Musk wanted to do for Twitter when he bought it: Make it to Generation X what Facebook has become for Boomers.

Nah, musk just bought the domain x.com in the early days of the internet and has been chomping at the bit to use it because it's a very short URL and that matters, because his brain is stuck in the .com bubble where you could get tons of money in VC for owning the domain pets.com, except x.com isn't anything, it's just a 1 letter url

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Bushmaori posted:

You can like art made by dipshits

This. Visions is one of my favorite albums despite her being as dumb as sack of bricks. It's ok

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Grimes' brain:
- Bangers
- Dryer lint
- Designer drugs
- Your Ad Here

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

- Spaghetti

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Vib Rib posted:

"FPS" is a failed genre name, let's go back to calling them DOOMlikes.

"doom clone" was the nom de guerre in the 90s for anything approaching an FPS style iirc

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Fishstick posted:

"doom clone" was the nom de guerre in the 90s for anything approaching an FPS style iirc

Yes, but what do you think about the difference between DoomLikes and CODlikes and DoomLites and CODlites? :v:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Wolfenstein 3Dlike :eng101:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Quakelikes

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ponglikes.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's all Pong-adjacents anyway.

E: drat you

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Pong is a Tennisfortwolike.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Fishstick posted:

I came across a shareware CD-ROM I owned a couple years ago. From the early era of Windows 95, probably cost like ten bucks back then. It's fun seeing all a list on the back of the case with all the genres it has. All of them in my native tongue, but then all of a sudden there is "DOOM". Just "DOOM." I'm pretty sure they didn't include the shareware version of DOOM itself, those assholes.

(It did have Rise of the Triad, I played the shareware version of that for hours.)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Grimes' brain:
- Bangers
- Dryer lint
- Designer drugs
- Your Ad Here

I guess she and I are not so different after all

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kenning posted:

Rogue is not like Rogue, because while likeness requires similarity, that similarity must be under 100%. At 100% similarity, likeness simply becomes isness. Rogue is not a roguelike, but a rogueis

is isness not a subset of likeness?

to what degree is isness like likeness?

isness is obviously a likelike even if it isn't likeness

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Grimes' brain:
- Bangers
- Dryer lint
- Designer drugs
- Your Ad Here

And don't get me started on Britney Spears!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

OwlFancier posted:

Bill Clinton posted:

It depends on what your definition of "is" is.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think "isness" is the correct form of the verb to be. I think it'd be more correct to say "be-ness."

:DDDDDDDDDDDD

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Wait, when did we start talking about Zelda?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Do you like Zelda or do you likelike Zelda?

Dodongos!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Human pet guy.

https://x.com/i_am_cybersmith/status/1690889323397136384?s=46&t=LuWlVigXSHv3TXi-WVRPYA

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hey, maybe you couldn't train yourself to survive having your entire body compressed to the size of a bowling ball before violently exploding in all directions, but I think I could probably manage it. Never tried but I think, if it came down to it, I'd probably handle it ok. Seems doable.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think "isness" is the correct form of the verb to be. I think it'd be more correct to say "be-ness."

:​DDDDDDDDDDDD

:​DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Grimes' brain:
- Bangers
- Dryer lint
- Designer drugs
- Your Ad Here

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Grimes' bangers are 100% cracker

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tiggum posted:

Hey, maybe you couldn't train yourself to survive having your entire body compressed to the size of a bowling ball before violently exploding in all directions, but I think I could probably manage it. Never tried but I think, if it came down to it, I'd probably handle it ok. Seems doable.

We need that state of mind in potential Mars colonists too. Low oxygen? Just practice deep breathing. High UV? Free tan! No water? Let them drink Coke! Elon needs to give these people the opportunity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bangers and Mush: The Grimes Story