Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Do POE people dislike Diablo 4 apart from the obvious criticisms? I feel like if you're into POE, you're into all the ARPGs by default. I've really only played Diablo games, but Titan Quest, Torchlight, Lost Ark seems popular in that crowd too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

harrygomm posted:

i didn’t know those were quotes from the video since i didn’t watch it. not trying to blame the guy who got probed but if i were to make a funny post like that, i wolf probably put all that poo poo in a quote block. or maybe just not post dumb reddit/youtube/battlenet comments cause if you wanna see that you can go there and read it

live by the syq, die by the syq

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Time posted:

Snow was mushy in valle nevado today which is funny because I think when I hit mammoth last week it was nicer. The Andes are wild tho and I’ll take skiing over not skiing no matter the conditions. A+ would rec doing laps with endless bowls of raw fish to power your turns

Edit: it appears this is the wrong thread sorry all

Don't worry, post was still on par for the thread.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Vic posted:

Do POE people dislike Diablo 4 apart from the obvious criticisms? I feel like if you're into POE, you're into all the ARPGs by default. I've really only played Diablo games, but Titan Quest, Torchlight, Lost Ark seems popular in that crowd too.

As a long time PoE player, I had excellent fun in D4 for about three weeks (and another week when S1 launched), but with the complete lack of any compelling end-game it just can't compete with PoE right now.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

coelomate posted:

Short barber has felt better on all 3 builds I've tried it on.

Long does more damage in theory to very tanky monsters like bosses that out level you... but I go out of my way to not play that content :v:

Yeah. Having end bosses that are just damage sponges isn't that much fun is it. I mean I'll be careful what I wish for here otherwise we'll get three phases where we have to dunk a rotten demon heart to remove the immunity barrier made of sacrificed souls that strangely appears each third of the health bar.

Maybe we can look to the book threads for discussions. No one gets to just pop in to say I'm bored, I want a refund, this is lame etc without having to actually develop their thoughts about what specifically and why, which makes for interesting conversation. When you get enough posts that are one line runbys announcing the game is bad it just kills conversations that are trying to take place between people throwing up links to sexual assaults for the twentieth time.

The complete right to criticise is being used to torpedo the thread and not generate discussion.

I know you don't have the game Hopper which must make it harder, but hopefully these one line non-sequiters and news links will stand out sufficiently.

Also posting blocks of comments without making it clear it was quotes is just lol. Like we're all a bunch of hugely disingenuous motherfuckers, don't expect a mod to have to do homework before deciding whether or not you need a probe.

ClydeFrog fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 14, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

ClydeFrog posted:

Maybe we can look to the book threads for discussions.

My barbarian yells at goatmen to hit him.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

If you want to say the game is bad you must follow the D&D subforum guidelines and submit a (minimum) 500 word properly formatted essay using APA or MLA referencing.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I can comfortably move up to WT4 at 65 now and start the ancestral gear farm. That's somethin'.

I wonder why they made two versions of the vampire magi guys. One you see almost everywhere and is reasonable, does that bastard bat swarm and blink away thing. The other regularly spams a 3 second stun that you can't see coming under every other graphic effect. Cool and fun.

I wonder how long I can avoid slotting the mandatory unstoppable in.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 14, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Vic posted:

I had fun on the initial campaign but am waiting for it to get some polish/balance passes in before I go back.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Doomykins posted:

I can comfortably move up to WT4 at 65 now and start the ancestral gear farm. That's somethin'.

I wonder why they made two versions of the vampire magi guys. One you see almost everywhere and is reasonable, does that bastard bat swarm and blink away thing. The other regularly spams a 3 second stun that you can't see coming under every other graphic effect. Cool and fun.

there are multiple versions of lots of enemies, poison spiders, regular spiders, frosty spiders, regular corpse bows, frosty corpse bows. you could even call the bashee/wraiths different flavors of ghost since they have basically the same theme. multiple kinds of shaman. the guys that rez, the blood moon ones that buff with the red line, the ones that buff dudes to melt into a poison pool on death. probably a bunch more i'm forgetting. its cool when you get an archer empowered by an elite wraith and the red line attack is 3 lines instead of one. all the elites are just regular monsters with more health and some kind of different effect added to their attacks.

i particularly like the volkodlak guys with their 3-hit combo move of cone, cone, big aoe. the hitbox on that 3rd part is pretty mean.

not actually sure which magus you're talking about has a hitscan whatever 3 second stun.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
there’s the melee vampires with a sword that do a stinger that stuns for a bit. i also kinda remember a vampire caster that does something like raise his staff above his head and does a beam that stuns? idk haven’t seen a lot of vampires recently in nmds

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Doomykins posted:

If you are soloing a lot it helps to have an item to consistently trigger unstoppable at high level.

(Whereas if you are grouping, the strategy is shock and awe).

For my part I am now level 72 fire sorcerer in season and have been riding a max affix-rolled razorplate and the effect that makes your thorns damage go AOE really hard. For a while it was 80% of my damage while I figured out other slots. Basically, thorns goes off, one or more monsters dies from 9,700 damage, and then fireball enchant goes off. It's pretty gnarly and synergizes well in group play.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 14, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

kaxman posted:

not actually sure which magus you're talking about has a hitscan whatever 3 second stun.

harrygomm posted:

there’s the melee vampires with a sword that do a stinger that stuns for a bit. i also kinda remember a vampire caster that does something like raise his staff above his head and does a beam that stuns? idk haven’t seen a lot of vampires recently in nmds

Definitely the caster, not the revenant(sword knight vamp with stinger.) I think the NMD was Stockades, you can tell the vamp caster will be a prick if he has red lightning effects. He does have a subtle wind up and a ground graphic but it has the same problem Horror does of blending in.

Name Change posted:

If you are soloing a lot it helps to have an item to consistently trigger unstoppable at high level.

I can swap Leap for Charge or imprint the "Unstoppable when Injured" aspect, which syncs well with my 50% DR on injured from items. I like Leap more and also have been trying a contrarian build so far, not using shouts or mandatory unstoppable. Mostly being durable as hell. My experience gain spikes nicely with the swap to +10s in WT4 instead of +10s in WT3, so I'll gain power through paragon at least.

I can see myself getting bored by the time I'm pushing +20s or +30s, ancestrals willing, and uber lilith is likely off the table, but game cromulent. I'll have enough juice in me to commit to Druid in S2, Necro in S3 and so on. I like nice long term on-and-off again 100%ing games.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 14, 2023

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Time posted:

Snow was mushy in valle nevado today which is funny because I think when I hit mammoth last week it was nicer. The Andes are wild tho and I’ll take skiing over not skiing no matter the conditions. A+ would rec doing laps with endless bowls of raw fish to power your turns

Edit: it appears this is the wrong thread sorry all

Hra Mormo posted:

Don't worry, post was still on par for the thread.

I thought this was how the kids talk about Fractured Peaks now and it made me feel really old.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

lmao smdftb
the next time you come in to blindly probe someone, might I suggest reading at least the previous page you loving clown?

Reported for mod sass.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Did the recent balance changes meaningfully change sorc (particularly the lightning changes), or is it more of a "sorc does slightly more damage and is slightly less squishy"?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Verviticus posted:

the barber is so good on its own that i dont think it needs steel grasp. unless the level of mob that you're killing is so much higher than you that you have to group them up like that, in which they'll just splatter you

It doesn't need it, no. But it's more fun.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I didn't try chain lightning but I'd say it's good now. Honestly the barber masks all damage weaknesses so you can stack a few Dr aspects and it feels fine into 70+ nm. I've been using meteor + blizz with only two defensives and it's pretty easy to clear wherever besides corpse bows and that bullshit.

The zoom is still your real final boss for playing at range.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Reported for mod sass.

To be fair I *am* blind so

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

HopperUK posted:

To be fair I *am* blind so

Man getting all this via a screen reader must be a wild ride.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

KazigluBey posted:

If you want to say the game is bad you must follow the D&D subforum guidelines and submit a (minimum) 500 word properly formatted essay using APA or MLA referencing.

I'd like to think this thread could make its way to the middle ground. I actually believe you about D&D tho.

Vic posted:

You standing outside a cave screaming URLs until the elites notice.

ClydeFrog fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 14, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’d like early game druid and barbarian to be more powerful/fun but that’s really my only complaint so far. It’s night and day playing those two classes early game vs the other classes. The other classes feel more fun and and also kill way faster.

I haven’t made it to the endgame yet though.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Vic posted:

I've given them all a go except titan quest & torchlight 3, and while the early game in this game is pretty good, that's not the part of any arpg that interests me, so the game falls a bit flat in the current state. the torchlight series doesn't quite feel as good at diablo does maybe, but it's also $20 so my expectations from what I get out of it is tempered. Poe, greatest arpg by a country mile, is free to play, and while there's some inventory issues at the $0 level, $20-$30 lifetime will cover pretty much anybody who isn't a massive hoarder who played 500 hours a league. even Lost Ark was free* but had a great pvp system (except the fact they took way too long to release a ranked mode and I lost interest by then) that circumvented their free* gameplay loop. yes, their monetary system is disgusting, yet who took all the worst parts of it and put it into their next title?

The difference of quality between all of those games, and the diablo franchise after d2, is pretty simple imo. none of those games come from publicly traded companies, short of Lost Ark being "published" by AGS and them turning the p2progress dial up to 9 (11 is reserved for immortal) before being shamed into reducing the p2progress significantly. I left last epoch out of that list because it's the closest to d4 monetarily (it's $35). it's in early access, but it was labeled that from the start & even in that state, released with an actual endgame. it also shipped with a built in lootfilter, and just about every ability is viable for the endgame.

I'm not saying that d4 is bad, it's just clearly unfinished & was released because the marketing team told them they had to release whatever they had. the finished part of the game is good imo, & like others have said, I believe the game still has a good shot at being good in a year or so. however, if they sell the endgame with the next expansion like the last real entry in the series, I'm not gonna find out first hand lmao. these companies are not going to stop releasing unfinished products without that label until the decision makers actually get punished for it, which isn't ever going to happen. look at what those people have been saying about bg3 lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’d like early game druid and barbarian to be more powerful/fun but that’s really my only complaint so far. It’s night and day playing those two classes early game vs the other classes. The other classes feel more fun and and also kill way faster.

I haven’t made it to the endgame yet though.

Endgame druid has a few builds that are different but wreck screens of demons.

Barbarian endgame is lots of yelling and lots of blood spraying all which way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They should have kept the rune system they had early on.

But keep the current inventory system :sickos:

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Tonetta posted:

I've given them all a go except titan quest & torchlight 3, and while the early game in this game is pretty good, that's not the part of any arpg that interests me, so the game falls a bit flat in the current state. the torchlight series doesn't quite feel as good at diablo does maybe, but it's also $20 so my expectations from what I get out of it is tempered. Poe, greatest arpg by a country mile, is free to play, and while there's some inventory issues at the $0 level, $20-$30 lifetime will cover pretty much anybody who isn't a massive hoarder who played 500 hours a league. even Lost Ark was free* but had a great pvp system (except the fact they took way too long to release a ranked mode and I lost interest by then) that circumvented their free* gameplay loop. yes, their monetary system is disgusting, yet who took all the worst parts of it and put it into their next title?

The difference of quality between all of those games, and the diablo franchise after d2, is pretty simple imo. none of those games come from publicly traded companies, short of Lost Ark being "published" by AGS and them turning the p2progress dial up to 9 (11 is reserved for immortal) before being shamed into reducing the p2progress significantly. I left last epoch out of that list because it's the closest to d4 monetarily (it's $35). it's in early access, but it was labeled that from the start & even in that state, released with an actual endgame. it also shipped with a built in lootfilter, and just about every ability is viable for the endgame.

I'm not saying that d4 is bad, it's just clearly unfinished & was released because the marketing team told them they had to release whatever they had. the finished part of the game is good imo, & like others have said, I believe the game still has a good shot at being good in a year or so. however, if they sell the endgame with the next expansion like the last real entry in the series, I'm not gonna find out first hand lmao. these companies are not going to stop releasing unfinished products without that label until the decision makers actually get punished for it, which isn't ever going to happen. look at what those people have been saying about bg3 lol

Solid, well written post anyone can agree with. What I don't get is the "we need to do our best to make this not-D3 in all aspects" thing and then D4 is released without an endgame. :ughh:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Vic posted:

Man getting all this via a screen reader must be a wild ride.

Haha thankfully not as blind as that yet but it's gonna be a trip someday

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I miss being able to rain poison toads on poo poo and spit infinite fire bats

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Tonetta posted:

I'm not saying that d4 is bad, it's just clearly unfinished & was released because the marketing team told them they had to release whatever they had. the finished part of the game is good imo, & like others have said, I believe the game still has a good shot at being good in a year or so. however, if they sell the endgame with the next expansion like the last real entry in the series, I'm not gonna find out first hand lmao. these companies are not going to stop releasing unfinished products without that label until the decision makers actually get punished for it, which isn't ever going to happen.

Agreed. I was kinda peer pressured and FOMO'd into buying D4 because of my friend group going in on launch and I've ended up playing the most out of the group (alone, owned). And all the reviews were kinda reviewing the campaign experience which was ok. But yeah nuff said.
If they actually made a different game from D3 and had that in an unfinished state I guess I would understand it not being finished more. But they just disassembled D3ROS and reassembled it wrong with like 15 extra screws left over.

Tonetta posted:

look at what those people have been saying about bg3 lol

lol who was saying what about BG3?

Vic fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 14, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Mustached Demon posted:

Endgame druid has a few builds that are different but wreck screens of demons.

Barbarian endgame is lots of yelling and lots of blood spraying all which way.

Yah but it sucks leveling to get to end game.

Druid is my fave style (design and gameplay) so it was especially a bummer.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What endgame stuff is D4 lacking?

What endgame stuff does PoE or D3 have that you’d want to see in D4?

In my limited understanding I don’t see a big difference between PoE maps and D4 nightmare dungeons.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

What endgame stuff is D4 lacking?

What endgame stuff does PoE or D3 have that you’d want to see in D4?

In my limited understanding I don’t see a big difference between PoE maps and D4 nightmare dungeons.

tons of past league content, actual bosses, a trade economy to make currency in if that's your bag. delve and heist are basically their own separate games with as much stuff to do on their own as endgame D4

and there are 100+ maps in PoE, not just like a dozen or whatever like NMDs

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Vic posted:

if the forums ban me for hollering at the goatmen, I will face god and walk backwards into hell

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Trying to sort out exactly what aspects I want for my endgame gear. I played around with the one that makes Earthen Might apply to storm skills, but it just doesn't feel like it procs often enough to be worth the aspect slot. I was running out of spirit constantly compared to the umbral that it replaced, and my build focuses on doing a billion small attacks per second to get special procs. Wish it were slightly buffed because the concept of making a build with 100% crit granted by skills where you could completely neglect it on gear in favor of crit damage would be kind of interesting.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

hawowanlawow posted:

tons of past league content, actual bosses, a trade economy to make currency in if that's your bag. delve and heist are basically their own separate games with as much stuff to do on their own as endgame D4

and there are 100+ maps in PoE, not just like a dozen or whatever like NMDs

Could you speak more as to how Heists et all are basically separate games with as much to do? Heists seem exactly like D4 dungeons - go through and activate things, grab objectives, leave, kill mobs as necessary.

What are the “actual bosses”? That sounds fun.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Could you speak more as to how Heists et all are basically separate games with as much to do? Heists seem exactly like D4 dungeons - go through and activate things, grab objectives, leave, kill mobs as necessary.

heist has its own currency type, NPC mercs to level up and equip with gear, several unique bosses with their own mechanics, it's own town hub, base types and skill variants that can only be found there

delve is an endless dungeon with it's own darkness and exploration system, it's own crafting system, several unique bosses with their own mechanics, and scales to the point that people make delve-only builds that are poo poo for everything else to push the depth leaderboards

they can and have had mini-leagues where you only do delve or heist and they have been well received

actual bosses meaning bosses that are actually challenging, basically all the final endgame bosses from the history of the game which at the time they were made were designed to be the pinnacle boss so they're totally unique. also you can Uber charge them which opens unique drops and makes them insanely hard to the point you gotta be a grognard with a dedicated character to farm them basically

also the simulacrum which is basically a boss event with waves of enemies that get progressively harder

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yah but it sucks leveling to get to end game.

Druid is my fave style (design and gameplay) so it was especially a bummer.

Yeah pretty much. Fury and spirit generation could use more front loading instead of being locked away in the paragon.

D4 needs a better rendition of the rift.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

D4 needs a better rendition of the rift.

loved blasting rifts all day with my wife, we both miss them a lot. NM dungeons and the malignant tunnels are.. sorta.. the same but lack the same vibe somehow.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

I've only dipped my toes into PoE so I'm probably missing a lot here, but my understanding is that the league mechanics and stuff are basically integrated into the mapping endgame to provide a little more variety. So to relate it back to Diablo 4, it would be like if you were doing a nightmare dungeon but partway through you get an additional objective to do one of like 7 different mechanics that pop in randomly, and each of those mechanics provide a different reward you can shoot for, or ignore entirely if you're not interested in what they have to offer. There's also some sort of additional skill tree that just affects the endgame content, so you'll get skill points that'll make it so one of those mechanics has a higher chance of popping up, or this mechanic will give you more rewards, etc.

Seems pretty cool overall, and I'd be fine with the D4 devs being completely shameless and just copying parts of it and slapping it into their game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

loved blasting rifts all day with my wife, we both miss them a lot. NM dungeons and the malignant tunnels are.. sorta.. the same but lack the same vibe somehow.

The main thing is the low monster density, busywork and backtracking. D4 is also like 1/3 the D3 movement speed.

And NM dungeons add more stupid poo poo like that simon says stop glyph.