Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

OldSenileGuy posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a travel laptop backpack that has a dedicated padded sleeve for a laptop AND another one for a tablet? I’ve seen a bunch that are pretty big, but I’m looking for something smaller and minimalist.

Currently I’m leaning towards the Able Carry Daily Plus, but I’m open to other suggestions!

I've been using this one for years

https://www.timbuk2.com/collections/all-backpacks/products/1859-division-laptop-backpack-deluxe

It has a pouch in the inside for a tablet/small laptop and a separate zippered pouch in the rear for a larger laptop/device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I've also been using that Timbuk2 backpack for about 6 or so years now and have loved it. Not only does it provide all the function but it doesn't have any silly styling going on and doesn't try to be a statement piece.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a travel laptop backpack that has a dedicated padded sleeve for a laptop AND another one for a tablet? I’ve seen a bunch that are pretty big, but I’m looking for something smaller and minimalist.

Currently I’m leaning towards the Able Carry Daily Plus, but I’m open to other suggestions!

I have the 21L Wandrd Prvke. It’s got two padded sleeves, and I can even fit the tablet in between the sleeves and the main compartment if I need to. It’s not a large backpack at all but I can fit a 13” MacBook Air, 13” HP Elitebook and 11” iPad Pro at the same time. I like the expandable top compartment as well.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

The Dave posted:

I've also been using that Timbuk2 backpack for about 6 or so years now and have loved it. Not only does it provide all the function but it doesn't have any silly styling going on and doesn't try to be a statement piece.

I also use a Timbuk2. Laptop goes in the designated area and my iPad goes into a pocket area inside the main compartment. Only thing I vaguely don’t like is there is only a water bottle holder on one side for some reason.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’ve been using a Goruck of some kind for 8 years, and it’s got a padded laptop zip pocket and sleeve one on the other size.

Apparently insufferable people use these backpacks for some kind of outdoor thing, but I’ve only had to talk to two of those in the 8 years of having this.

I’m basically a gorilla to my equipment, though, so if you’re not especially hard on your stuff it may not be worth the price of admission both monetarily and psychically.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The Dave posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IECU48

This is actually my favorite one. For a long time it was loving perfect for going to/from work. It only has a velcro flap so it's not the most secure. Also not sure how it would handle a laptop and an iPad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

I’ve been using a Goruck of some kind for 8 years, and it’s got a padded laptop zip pocket and sleeve one on the other size.

Apparently insufferable people use these backpacks for some kind of outdoor thing, but I’ve only had to talk to two of those in the 8 years of having this.

I’m basically a gorilla to my equipment, though, so if you’re not especially hard on your stuff it may not be worth the price of admission both monetarily and psychically.

i have a like 30L osprey camping bag which has pole/tent straps and area for a camelbak and poo poo and it still has a padded sleeve for a laptop/tablet lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Gen 9 iPads are $250 at Costco and Amazon atm. With Gen 11 around the corner, would you expect a similar discount for Gen 10 when that comes out?

Just wondering if it's worth waiting till then. This would be for my mom, and her requirements aren't very high. No interest in Apple pencils, for instance.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

OldSenileGuy posted:

A lot of the other recommendations you’ve gotten so far look like they fit your needs more, but for inexpensive options, I’ve been real happy with this one off Amazon:

MATEIN Travel Laptop Backpack, Business Anti Theft Slim Durable Laptop Backpack with USB Charging Port, Water Resistant College Bag Computer Bag Gifts for Men & Women Fits 15.6 Inch Notebook, Grey https://a.co/d/5exyLkD

I use this to transport my work laptop and iPad and although I’m not super tough on my stuff, this has done the job for me and is surprisingly roomy for the size.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rinkles posted:

Gen 9 iPads are $250 at Costco and Amazon atm. With Gen 11 around the corner, would you expect a similar discount for Gen 10 when that comes out?

Just wondering if it's worth waiting till then. This would be for my mom, and her requirements aren't very high. No interest in Apple pencils, for instance.

I would still skip the gen10, even at gen9 prices. The pencil 1 bullshit makes it too cumbersome.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I have the Peak Designs Everyday Backpack. It has separate tablet and laptop sleeves. It’s ludicrously expensive for a backpack, but honestly I’d rebuy it in an instant.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rinkles posted:

This is the first time Apple has kept around the older iPad model and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was either related to Covid supply shortages or needing to keep the old model around to placate business and education.

When the Gen 11 drops I anticipate the Gen 10 disappears completely (the Gen 9 may or may not stick around)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FCKGW posted:

This is the first time Apple has kept around the older iPad model and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was either related to Covid supply shortages or needing to keep the old model around to placate business and education.

When the Gen 11 drops I anticipate the Gen 10 disappears completely (the Gen 9 may or may not stick around)

Apple has still one year before the mandatory usb-c deadline, I would expect them to ride the lightning train to squeeze those last year of possible sales.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Not exactly. They kept the 2 around for the 3 and 4 and Air 1 (which was more or less the continuation of the base iPad line for awhile), and the 4 was brought back during the Air 1's lifetime after the 2 was finally discontinued. The Air 1 continued after the Air 2 launched. They also kept the iPad Pro 10.5 for a bit after the Pro 11 was launched.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SlowBloke posted:

Apple has still one year before the mandatory usb-c deadline, I would expect them to ride the lightning train to squeeze those last year of possible sales.

This upcoming crop of iPhones is supposed to have USB-C, so we shall see

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah it’s almost certain they’re going to usb c in the next iPhone and will probably release stuff like airpods cases with usb c within the next year as well

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lexicon posted:

I have the Peak Designs Everyday Backpack. It has separate tablet and laptop sleeves. It’s ludicrously expensive for a backpack, but honestly I’d rebuy it in an instant.

The smaller zip ones are a great laptop bag but they are absolutely terrible camera bags (which is the main market they target).

The non-zip ones with the flap and side zips suck.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Bottom Liner posted:

The smaller zip ones are a great laptop bag but they are absolutely terrible camera bags (which is the main market they target).

The non-zip ones with the flap and side zips suck.

I’ve got the big 30L flap one. Love it - it’s perfect for my use cases.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ok Comboomer posted:

This upcoming crop of iPhones is supposed to have USB-C, so we shall see

I was pointing more at gen9 ipads outselling gen10 at the same price point due to corpo customers not wanting to rewrite all their pos and crash carts. iPhones are usually leased via telcos rather than purchased so corporate customers have less interest in long term maintenance on those.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked to see Apple keep the 9th Gen around and discontinue the 10th Gen when the 11th Gen comes out since they like to keep older form factors around for awhile.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Thanks for all the bag recommendations! I have decided to ignore all of you and went with the Aer Flight Pack 3. Will update on how I like it!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked to see Apple keep the 9th Gen around and discontinue the 10th Gen when the 11th Gen comes out since they like to keep older form factors around for awhile.

This , plus Apple needs a $300 price point iPad for education and business markets.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

On the other hand, they are trying to move away from lightning, so imho it’s more likely they discontinue the 9th gen iPad next since 10th has usb-c

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Last Chance posted:

On the other hand, they are trying to move away from lightning, so imho it’s more likely they discontinue the 9th gen iPad next since 10th has usb-c

Education market hates the gen10 with a passion due the the mk1 pencil and the adaptors(which tends to be lost and are not terribly cheap to replace). The only viable way i imagine to keep the edu market happy is a gen11 with mk2 pencil and bulk purchasing discounts on both.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Duckman2008 posted:

This, plus Apple needs a $3000 price point iPad

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Release the 15” Pro Tim

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

hatty posted:

Release the 15” Pro Tim

Widescreen only please

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I would kill for a 16:9 iPad pro

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I would kill for a 16:9 iPad pro

Yeah, i want that s8/9 ultra, but, you know... Anroid and Sarnsung lol

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Random question - Apple's gonna be getting roughly $2k from me this fall, since I'm gonna be looking to pick up both a new MacBook and a new iPad Pro. I live close enough that I could easily pick these up from the Apple Store Delaware to save on sales tax.

Does that trick work if I order online for in-store pickup? Or does the ordering online mean the sale is actually happening where I live in PA and therefore subject to sales tax?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I believe it should be wherever the pick up is. But you can check that by going through the purchase process but stopping right before you actually complete it. You should be able to see the total there.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

I believe it should be wherever the pick up is. But you can check that by going through the purchase process but stopping right before you actually complete it. You should be able to see the total there.

Duh, I should have thought of that! I just tried it, and it did indeed show up as no tax, but there was a little disclaimer that the tax was an estimate and the final tax will be calculated on the invoice. I'm guessing it just always says that and it's good, but maybe I'll try it with a cheaper purchase before I make the big purchases.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Duh, I should have thought of that! I just tried it, and it did indeed show up as no tax, but there was a little disclaimer that the tax was an estimate and the final tax will be calculated on the invoice. I'm guessing it just always says that and it's good, but maybe I'll try it with a cheaper purchase before I make the big purchases.

In general, sales tax in the US is charged at basically wherever the end point you are receiving it is. If you are at your house in Pennsylvania and make an order for pickup at a store in Delaware, the point where you are receiving it (the real transaction point) is the store in Delaware.

If you ship to your house, then the point is Pennsylvania.

This goes for local taxes too. If you live in Downingtown PA, and do a pickup for a store in Philadelphia, taxes are gonna be a bit higher because Philly local tax. If you ship to your theoretical house in Downingtown, you’re paying local Downingtown tax which is less than Philly.

(I used to live in that area).

I haven’t bothered recently, but one year I bought 2 iPhones, mailed them to my friend in Delaware, and had him mail them over to me, $20 shipping but I saved like, $200 in taxes. Obviously a very trusted friend, but it was still just a bit too much of a hassle.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

- a ton of useful information -

Best poster on these forums, right here. Aside from being a Flyers fan, but nobody’s perfect.

Thanks for the info!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have some cbr comic books in Calibre that I sync/read with Chunky.

I also have some other cbr comic books on a network drive that I want to read, but don't want to intermix with my main Chunky library.

What's the best option here? Get a second app for reading (which)? Some clever way of viewing them through a browser? Something else?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I use Komga as a server and Panels as an app on the iPad for reading comics and it works really nicely, worth looking into. I was going to use Chunky as I saw lots of people saying good things, but then I read development slowed and Panels was winning people over. I ended up paying for the years sub for the Komga access.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Best poster on these forums, right here. Aside from being a Flyers fan, but nobody’s perfect.

Thanks for the info!

Let’s not st things we can’t take back, but thank you I try.

And bring a Flyers fan is absolutely my curse :negative:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think I may have (somewhat) cooked my Pro :[

It’s not dead or anything, but it was very warm when I unplugged it, which was the first time I touched it in a week. I watched some YouTube, and the battery was at 100% for a good while, but started falling off quicker than usual. I didn’t time it, but I’m pretty confident it hit 90% significantly faster. Usually that took hours.

Where my (potential) fault lies is this: My USB C / USB C cable stopped working, so I used a USB A / USB C cable and inserted a USB C / USB A adapter into the charger instead, thinking it wouldn’t be a problem. I did actually Google if it was okay, and didn’t find any warnings, but maybe I didn’t look into it thoroughly enough.

I hope I didn’t gently caress it up too bad. At least the battery level barely budged in the last few hours of it sitting idle (unplugged). I wanted to check the battery health, but that apparently isn’t an option in IPadOs.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That shouldn’t be a problem — if the USB-C cable can’t make a higher power connection handshake, then it defaults to 5V at 2.5A maximum.

Might be worth taking it in if you have a store or micro center nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I know you said you hadn't touched it in a while but there's still the possibility a process was hanging. I'd give it a hard reset first and see if that clears it up.