Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Arc Hammer posted:

Legion and chapter rivalries are nothing new but have there been any notable additions to the Big Rivalries list?
Thousand Sons vs Space Wolves
Iron Warriors vs Imperial Fists
Emperor's Children vs Iron Hands
Word Bearers vs Ultramarines
Dark Angels vs Space Wolves - Bromance Tier

I know there's plenty of one-sided hate boners among the traitor legions that tend to get directed against the Ultras but are there anymore of those that are mutual drop everything and throw punches hatreds?
Fallen Angels v Dark Angels, surely, before Lion showed up to be all "Hey. HEY. Knock it off."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CapnAndy posted:

Fallen Angels v Dark Angels, surely, before Lion showed up to be all "Hey. HEY. Knock it off."

Well Lion's method is more a case of cross referencing to weed out the "blacklisted by Asmodai for missing breakfast" Fallen from the "has tentacle birds nesting in his eye sockets" Fallen than it is a blanket forgiveness.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Legion and chapter rivalries are nothing new but have there been any notable additions to the Big Rivalries list?
Thousand Sons vs Space Wolves
Iron Warriors vs Imperial Fists
Emperor's Children vs Iron Hands
Word Bearers vs Ultramarines
Dark Angels vs Space Wolves - Bromance Tier

I know there's plenty of one-sided hate boners among the traitor legions that tend to get directed against the Ultras but are there anymore of those that are mutual drop everything and throw punches hatreds?

What is the EC v IH beef? Unrepressed homosexuality v repressed homosexuality?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

notaspy posted:

Your dad cut my dad's head off and that poo poo will not fly?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Arc Hammer posted:

Well Lion's method is more a case of cross referencing to weed out the "blacklisted by Asmodai for missing breakfast" Fallen from the "has tentacle birds nesting in his eye sockets" Fallen than it is a blanket forgiveness.
Well, yeah, but before that they were definitely a state of where as soon as they saw each other, all tactical objectives besides "throw hands" disappeared.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Minotaurs beef w/ The Lamenters
Space Sharks beef w/ Mantis Warriors
Marines Malevolent beef w/ Salamanders
Iron Hands beef w/ Hospitallers

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Minotaurs beef with everyone

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

notaspy posted:

Gay Mutants vs Gay Robots

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

Minotaurs beef w/ The Lamenters
Space Sharks beef w/ Mantis Warriors
Marines Malevolent beef w/ Salamanders
Iron Hands beef w/ Hospitallers

Iron Hands also have lesser beefs with the Raven Guard and Salamanders for not saving Ferrus and in the 41st millenium have also started beef with the Imperial Fists over archeotech.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Your dad cut my dad's head off and that poo poo will not fly?

Bad head, got ya

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
and that's First and Only finished. There were some hacky moments, but overall I really liked it. Some real good mil scifi

I'm surprised that this is the first book of the series - that decision surely came after release, right? It's so self-contained, with every single one of the usual sequel hooks (mysterious prophecy, tragic family backstory, potential traitor, the true big bad behind the scenes) all getting very neatly resolved. In fact the biggest source of future tension ironically came from the author forward where Abnett mysteriously spoiled that he kills off Bragg and that readers hate him for it lol

but I suppose there's no shortage of bad guys and corruption and wars to fight in 40k. onto Ghostmaker

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Abnett is a master genre writer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
First And Only as well as Ghostmaker were originally a series of short stories that were released individually as part of the old Inferno! magazine before getting repackaged into novels with a more solid framing device in each book. That's why they feel so self contained since they're a bunch of serialized vignettes that didn't really expand into the whole Sabbat-Verse 40K novels until Necropolis was written.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Lamenters have beef with existing.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
And they’re losing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nobody cares, except for Wib, who did a very nice oldhammer Lamenters army,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnlDjOPktHc

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Arc Hammer posted:

First And Only as well as Ghostmaker were originally a series of short stories that were released individually as part of the old Inferno! magazine before getting repackaged into novels with a more solid framing device in each book. That's why they feel so self contained since they're a bunch of serialized vignettes that didn't really expand into the whole Sabbat-Verse 40K novels until Necropolis was written.

I honestly think that readers should start with Necropolis, you're not missing much information and you get dropped straight into a crazy Space Stalingrad

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And I disagree with that because Ghostmaker especially is fantastic for establishing the dynamics of several characters and First and Only is just fun.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Arc Hammer posted:

ah that makes a lot of sense. I bet those flashback chapters were pulled almost directly from the old short stories

I wonder if that'd also explain all the moments of "and then the bad guy points his gun at the character and pulls the trigger...!" -> next chapter -> "but then the bad guy missed and was immediately killed". that was an extremely common trope of magazines serials

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
First of all, I slept on the Keeble audio books far too long - started up the Seige books and he makes everything better.

Second, the Traitor Primarch meetings in Lost and the Damned are either unintentionally or intentionally hilarious. Perty being a huge jealous bitch, Angron and Fulgrim being ... themselves. Abbadon muting Angron. Also Mortarion's entrance too, and knocking half the room out with his stink.

The audiobooks make stuff I rolled my eyes at in text really entertaining!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Broken Record Talk posted:

Hell, they're arguably worse, since the World Eaters aren't running around eating the dead and slurping brains directly out of skulls. Pre-Sanguinius Blood Angels/Revenant Legion were scary nightmare creatures cosplaying as men.

yeah one of the scenes that got me is one of the old guard guys flash backing to some war where they were fighting stormtroopers or some sort of vaguely star warsy human mini empire. and like he finds a wounded soldier who is trying help a wounded enemie combatant and then when the medic resists, he just drops a rock on the wounded womans head and then like eats the brains poo poo and like getting addicted to memories.

that book had some hosed up momements.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

LegionAreI posted:

First of all, I slept on the Keeble audio books far too long - started up the Seige books and he makes everything better.

Second, the Traitor Primarch meetings in Lost and the Damned are either unintentionally or intentionally hilarious. Perty being a huge jealous bitch, Angron and Fulgrim being ... themselves. Abbadon muting Angron. Also Mortarion's entrance too, and knocking half the room out with his stink.

The audiobooks make stuff I rolled my eyes at in text really entertaining!

The audiobooks having excellent readings does a whole lot to make the more mediocre-to-bad books bearable.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Oh hey, the new Ciaphas Cain is available.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Warden posted:

Oh hey, the new Ciaphas Cain is available.

Two pages in and:

quote:

The trouble with having a reputation like mine is that people tend to believe it, with the unenviable result that every time a particularly foolhardy or suicidal assignment cropped up, my name was at the top of the list of gung-ho idiots to try and palm it off on.

*snort snort* Aww yisssss, that's the stuff :dance:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah it's great so far

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You want some books? Of course you do!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/13/sunday-preview-sneaky-space-marines-and-a-whole-season-of-kill-team/

Well okay, one book in this case. But it is also Warhawk by Chris Wraight that is finally coming out in paperback.

The Devastation of the Imperial Palace Interior Map also makes a return.

Who knows for long though, but probably not that long.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The Ravenor-Emperors Gift connection is such a nice, wonderful thing. Zael becoming a Grey Knight who breaks Angrons blade even!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

In those stories I can't read because they're in the stupid gamebooks, is Guilliman's conversation with the Emperor detailed at all? I'm reading Dark Imperium now and it seems to be haunting him quite a great deal.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

CapnAndy posted:

In those stories I can't read because they're in the stupid gamebooks, is Guilliman's conversation with the Emperor detailed at all? I'm reading Dark Imperium now and it seems to be haunting him quite a great deal.

lol nah

It does get elaborated on later in the series but not in any real depth.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, finished the new Ciaphas Cain book in two days (I'm on midnight shift and there's nothing to loving do). Honestly, I think I enjoyed it more than most, which is high praise as I really like the CC series. Anyways, thoughts in spoilers below

A. Jurgen seems alot more openly sarcastic this time, which is nice.
B. Oh poo poo, Mitchell did actually get newcrons in while preserving the dread and threat.
C. It was less repetitive than the past ones, even if Cain did get to end with banging Amberley
D. It really really feels like Mitchell wants to start writing for Warhammer Crime here (especially with the three questions short story)
E. It also feels longer than most? Were the other books this long?
F. Lol Non-Binary Tech Priest. (But, other than the joke about binary, I was excited to see an NB character like me. Even if they turned into a villain)
G: I honestly expected the Skiitari colonel to be in on the plot, so count me happily surprised
H: Oh god, the clear retirony that Mitchell winked and nodded to
I: Oh the sequel hook at the end. Can't wait to read that.

8/10

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah one of the scenes that got me is one of the old guard guys flash backing to some war where they were fighting stormtroopers or some sort of vaguely star warsy human mini empire. and like he finds a wounded soldier who is trying help a wounded enemie combatant and then when the medic resists, he just drops a rock on the wounded womans head and then like eats the brains poo poo and like getting addicted to memories.

I think that might be Dempski Bowden. The guy ADORES the whole "Eating brains to gain intel" schtick and uses it to always dehumanize his Marines.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

CapnAndy posted:

It's detailed in Dark Imperium: Godblight but don't get your hopes up because is more like a hundred tortured psychic entities simultaneously yelling at Roboute to do poo poo rather than an actual conversation

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Calax posted:

I think that might be Dempski Bowden. The guy ADORES the whole "Eating brains to gain intel" schtick and uses it to always dehumanize his Marines.

He's not wrong. The audience needs reminding that Marines are nightmarish posthuman living weapons with extremely good PR

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Dapper_Swindler posted:

What book is this?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Pron on VHS posted:

What book is this?

Echoes of Eternity. Features both some background on the Revenant Legion, and also Sanguinius's first meeting with his sons.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I wonder if this little line in Valdor will ever be used for anything

quote:

There was a…sickness. We could all taste it. I have encountered similar sensations since, when fighting other enemies of allied origin, but then it was new to me. It generated little but disgust in me and my brothers. For the Thunder Warriors under Ushotan, it seemed to have a different effect. They thrived on it, at least for a time. They had, I surmised, the capacity to magnify whatever foulness they faced. That ferocity was useful, but it had its weaknesses.

- Valdor: Birth of the Imperium

Interesting since the Emperor is described as being able to handle and amplify raw warp juice.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Maybe thunder warriors got a boost when around a blank?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

WarpDogs posted:

ah that makes a lot of sense. I bet those flashback chapters were pulled almost directly from the old short stories

I wonder if that'd also explain all the moments of "and then the bad guy points his gun at the character and pulls the trigger...!" -> next chapter -> "but then the bad guy missed and was immediately killed". that was an extremely common trope of magazines serials

Nah he does that all the time even in stuff that only ever existed as a novel. There's almost always someone just to the side waiting for the most dramatic moment to shoot the bad guy and save the current POV character

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Azubah posted:

Maybe thunder warriors got a boost when around a blank?

I interpreted it as being around chaos juices the Thunder Warrior's up, a different design path than the Marine/Custode/Sisters path of either being immune or turned off or repulsed by chaos, the Thunder Warriors get high on that poo poo and go super sayien..... given how some of their background paints them as very violent and unreliable. I think there's some lines about them murking some warlord with Big E and interrupting a chaos ritual and a bunch of them just loosing it and being put down after the fact.

Big E also gets described as like "touching the warp" and being able to directly manipulate it so maybe his first go round of genetic superfreaks was down the same path he walked until he was like...ehhhh maybe they dont have the same resolve I do so lets make the next batch repulsed by it? That word magnify in that context has been used similarly to describe big E

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

He's not wrong. The audience needs reminding that Marines are nightmarish posthuman living weapons with extremely good PR

This is something that the Space Shark books get right. They're the "good" guys, but they're black eyed, pale skinned, sharp toothed monsters who abduct entire planets for slaves while chowing down on some brains to get a tactical updates and terrify the human plot device. Yeah, they're marginally better than the Night Lords, but only because we know what happens when Curze's boys run a tithe.