Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Feeling quite smug I cut the grass early this morning (9am. Would never cut the grass earlier than that, especially during school holidays. I remember being 16 and getting woken up at 7am by bastards with lawnmowers in the hols) because it has gotten loving hot in the sun this afternoon. It says it's 20°c but it feels 5°c warmer out of the shade. Barely even a breeze, what's the point of living on the coast if there's no summers breeze to make summer days more pleasant?

Anyway, cracking headline on the Guardian website today, "Have you ever wondered how much your hands weigh? I have – to the point of obsession"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
is that a chiles piece by any chance

e: i checked and it's not. glad to see he's inspiring others though

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nuclear Spoon posted:

is that a chiles piece by any chance

Has to be

E: drat. The Chiles Legacy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guardian in danger of reaching Chilesque Saturation

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

'how pubs work' (and licensing laws as an aside) is something the general public all seem to be experts on because they drink in them

'it doesn't affect the bar staff' is such rubbish, constantly running out of pint glasses on a busy shift is the worst

Goons: I can't believe beer prices are so high and the only pubs left are spoons

Also Goons: yeah just loving steal poo poo from them it's praxis

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Microplastics posted:

It's a PUBLIC house that means I own a bit of it, so I'm taking that bit home

One of my most treasured heirlooms is a pint glass my dad nicked from the NAAFI back in the 1960s.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

forkboy84 posted:

Anyway, cracking headline on the Guardian website today, "Have you ever wondered how much your hands weigh? I have – to the point of obsession"

The author takes the step of weighing them using kitchen scales but surely it's quite difficult to do so accurately without detaching them from your arms.

Maybe that's why the article ends there.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

The author takes the step of weighing them using kitchen scales but surely it's quite difficult to do so accurately without detaching them from your arms.

loving hell, she didn't? That's deranged.

And yes, it is very Chiles-esque. Adrian Chiles has almost singlehandedly changed my opinion of Comment Is Free. More of this, less neoliberal dipshittery from Toynbee & Rafael "Jeremy Corbyn is so antisemitic he made me have a heart attack just by existing" Behr

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I miss pub ashtrays and matches. Now they were always a good steal

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

It's still owned by the Wilkinson family, not that it makes a difference.

e: But apparently that was only like 20% of the losses, so they probably just wanted to get some money out while they could.
Thinking on it I'm sure Jim Wilkinson had similar problematic aspects to any businessman, but one of his central philosophies was "when people come into a hardware store they know what they want, so instead of having 50 different brands of washing soda that all come out of the same nozzle at the factory, just have a cardboard box with 'washing soda' printed on it and save some money." It was when it moved more to the family that it just became 'every other discount store'.

So one of the big ironies of the modern English condition is that the same people saying "ooh remember when you could just buy simple stuff at wilkos instead of these super markets with their foreign washing powder with the jazzy graphics, you don't know what's in it" are the same people voting for politicians who are saying "lol let's sell the water off to a multinational who'll give it a fancy logo and then put poo in it lmao"

sebzilla posted:

New Scientist did an article on it last month and there's a few trade and industry articles about it from last week.

Maybe they all got high together during the summer when it was tipping down with rain.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Seems like a trend that should have grew up during lockdown really, people going mad in isolation and suddenly becoming obsessed with the weight of their hand

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Skarsnik posted:

'how pubs work' (and licensing laws as an aside) is something the general public all seem to be experts on because they drink in them

'it doesn't affect the bar staff' is such rubbish, constantly running out of pint glasses on a busy shift is the worst

Goons: I can't believe beer prices are so high and the only pubs left are spoons

Also Goons: yeah just loving steal poo poo from them it's praxis
I understand why you find this frustrating but its kinda like someone in the cat herding business complaining about getting scratched, like wow your business where you sell a lot of alcohol to people has customers who act like bellends? Who could have predicted such a thing?

The more notices you put up about how whoever's stolen the cue ball has ruined it for everyone else the funnier the sloshed rear end in a top hat with the cueball in his pocket thinks he is.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Heavy are the hands that type the op-eds

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or at rugby pubs the sloshed pocket with the cueball in his rear end in a top hat

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If you enjoy drinking somewhere, just don't be a oval office :shrug:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Or at rugby pubs the sloshed pocket with the cueball in his rear end in a top hat

Used to love drinking at The Sloshed Pocket

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The only time I've ever been aware of or conceerned about the weight of my hands was when I did a power of mushies.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skarsnik posted:

well now i am doing it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Following Guardian columnists around saying "you are now aware of your tongue" "you are now breathing manually" "you can hear your heart beating" until Rafael Behr dies again.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

While I agree with your point, drinking beer from a freshly dishwashed boiling glass has its own demerits.

Over a decade later and I still remember the agony of doing a shot of whisky and only realising long after my muscles had committed to the act that the shot glass was painfully hot to the touch.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

I understand why you find this frustrating but its kinda like someone in the cat herding business complaining about getting scratched, like wow your business where you sell a lot of alcohol to people has customers who act like bellends? Who could have predicted such a thing?

The more notices you put up about how whoever's stolen the cue ball has ruined it for everyone else the funnier the sloshed rear end in a top hat with the cueball in his pocket thinks he is.

Ok but you personally could make an effort to not be a prick about it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

My frustration doesnt come from drunken bellends, that comes with the territory

My frustration comes from the fact everyone here has apparently decided its absolutely fine with no consequences, despite people who actually work in the industry telling you otherwise

Act like a loving comrade to your local barman for a change

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The weight of my hand is only noticeable when I've woken up after several hours of lying on it and it has become an inert, floppy appendage devoid of sensation and of no use to anyone

Makes my penis feel better about itself though

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Skarsnik posted:

Im not saying people should be cunts, just that in the business of selling the juice that lowers peoples inhibitions at a certain point you basically have to treat many of your customers as if they were toddlers. Part of the bouncers job is to thwart drunk people nicking glasses right?

You're right its not good to tell each other how 'okay' it is to steal certain stuff based on half truths and vibes, but like these are like post glass nicking justifications for actions people took when they were drunk. Maybe they'll think better if it next time or maybe they'll just think its funny and do it anyway because they're drunk.

Idk i'm tee total because i really don't like the person i become when im drunk lol, i might have a specifically skewed view of things.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tesseraction posted:

While I agree with your point, drinking beer from a freshly dishwashed boiling glass has its own demerits.

If there were enough glasses on the shelves to begin with you wouldn't have to! :ughh:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The only thing you should take for free from from pubs and bars are dog treats and only from the designated treat jar.

If the bar doesn't have a jar then bully the manager.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

If there were enough glasses on the shelves to begin with you wouldn't have to! :ughh:

Yeah, I was just making a joke on "the worst"

Obviously it's the worst for the bar staff, I was just rolling the topic to my worst nightmare: hot glasses, because I could.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i think i am going to listen to the barstaff who tells me it makes their lives harder instead of finding a way to justify my actions

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

The only thing you should take for free from from pubs and bars are dog treats and only from the designated treat jar.

If the bar doesn't have a jar then bully the manager.

Please tell me you have a dog

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Please tell me you have a dog

Well, he died last week but yes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Well, he died last week but yes.

Ah poo poo.

Sorry mate 😔

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cheers, there's one more yorkie in heaven.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
People wondering how much their hands weigh have clearly never read that Murderous Maths book which explains how to measure the volume of your foot

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But then you'd need to know how dense you were. And if you knew that you wouldn't be writing op eds for the Guardian :dadjoke:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Good luck convincing the British public of that.

Anyway, I'm not the problem, I have stolen 0 glasses from pubs. In fact I haven't even been to a pub since 2019!

Which I accept is a separate problem for publicans but hey, one think at a time

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to guess that how much breweries care about replacing branded glasses is a factor of how well the general economy is doing, much like with spillage.

So I'm not going to be stealing any glasses in plague Brexit austerity sewage hell island 2023, but 20 years ago it was my mate managing a pub who was the one saying "oops spilled another pint into this glass lol" and "oh you're moving, here's a box of glasses so we can drink round yours there's tons"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

His Divine Shadow posted:

I agree it doesn't seem likely no. There is a lack of societal trust and I don't know how to go about building that. But allowing parents to select which schools to put their kids in = segregation and will have large societal consequences. Of course for the UK this has been the norm for ages so it's probably business as usual for you guys.

The downfall of swedish schools and it's current issues with segregation in schools however can be pretty clearly traced to the 90s liberalization of their school system that allowed parents to choose where to put their kids, which has led to good schools and bad schools (for immigrants and the poor), and how it has also negatively affected the rest of their society. Finland did not do this and has fared a lot better. Sweden has lost this social trust as well, parents lament the segregation of the school system and the state it is in. But most of them would not want to part with "free school choice" either. Best to simply never introduce it, at least for us. It's pretty hard to get back.

One of the issues with 'providing choice' in welfare circumstances is people love to segregate, to hang out and live with people like themselves. It's understandable--you might not want your kids' school to be a daily reminder of their relative place within a painfully unequal society, particularly if they're somewhat alone in their racial, economic or social status niche. Or you might just hate them poors/forrins i dunno

Anyway parents suck and we shouldn't trust them with where to school their kids.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Tesseraction posted:

Over a decade later and I still remember the agony of doing a shot of whisky and only realising long after my muscles had committed to the act that the shot glass was painfully hot to the touch.

"doing a shot of whisky" well you deserve whatever you get then!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lord of the Llamas posted:

"doing a shot of whisky" well you deserve whatever you get then!

Not my choice! I was off to Taste of Chaos and the only other person going was a friend of a friend so we met up that night for the first time and he bought it for me! We were getting drinks at a cheaper venue and I kept saying we should hurry we don't want to be late and he was assuring me it was fine; we arrived just as the only band he cared about seeing had just left the stage. So instead he just got absolutely cunted while I was enjoying the other bands, then he dragged me to a nightclub afterwards and every time I turned around he had two new pints for me to drink. I ended up having to keep going to the toilet and pouring half of them away because I literally didn't have the hands for four pints in plastic cups, on a dancefloor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One time I got asked to deliver a crate of freebie promo glasses to a shop that was changing owner the next week so wasn't really doing any proper promos.

So I just gave them the box anyway cos I dunno, what else am I going to do with 20 beer glasses? I suggested the staff just give them to people they like.