Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
victory is impossible for both sides and the game is a useless waste of time

a:matters:c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Someone needs to invent this game and we need to popularize it so this tired old cliché can die with honor.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I mean, just bolt the two games together, call it “One Is”. The checkers player is playing checkers, he loses if all his pieces are removed. The chess player is playing chess, he loses if his king is captured. The checkers player does not have to announce check or checkmate.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Triskelli posted:

I mean, just bolt the two games together, call it “One Is”. The checkers player is playing checkers, he loses if all his pieces are removed. The chess player is playing chess, he loses if his king is captured. The checkers player does not have to announce check or checkmate.

Not sure about you but I would hate to play a game where I could never win for as long as the king is on a white space the checker player could never touch it.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
im not a chess player, but one of the bishops about to be really useless unjumpable

edit: focused on wrong characteristic, changing tier ranking

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you can only take a checker by jumping over it I think all except the knights are going to be a bit useless.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i would imagine you could still take pieces playing chess side by their rules

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I dunno if you lot remember but back when this thread was in LF there was a cartoonist who had a "checkers v. chess" cartoon he kept re-using for various political spats

edit: lmao i found a couple, though I'm sure there were more

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hunt11 posted:

Not sure about you but I would hate to play a game where I could never win for as long as the king is on a white space the checker player could never touch it.

Yeah on second thought the checkers player would need to tighten up their field and get 16 pieces, 8 on black and 8 on white

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

quote:

RINO EXCUSES
Cartoon published 08/14/2023

As the Bolshevik Democrats destroy the American Republic directly in front of our eyes, the RINOs simply sit on their hands while making wimpy excuses about why they shouldn’t impeach an obvious criminal currently residing in the White House—Joe Biden.

When Pelosi was Speaker of the House, she had no problem impeaching President Trump not once, but twice on completely ridiculous charges. Now the Republican Speaker of The House, Kevin McCarthy, can’t find the backbone to impeach Biden—even though he is armed with ample and overwhelming evidence of Joe’s treasonous crimes.

You are invited to join me on SubscribeStar- a Pateron alternative, for exclusive cartoons and behind the scenes look at GrrrGraphics, Click to Join!

McCarthy is a RINO. (Republican In Name Only). He’s a Uni-Party Republican, who will never bring any Democrat criminal to justice. Adam Schiff blatantly lies about Trump for years? He’ll get rewarded with a Senate seat. Many from the FBI and CIA committed perjury before Congress? They get applauded for ‘their service’ and are awarded huge pensions as well as speaking slots on the Democrat controlled shadow media. The Deep State Swamp always shows loyalty toward their own.

Representative Greg Steube, a Republican from Florida, has introduced articles of impeachment against Joe Biden. Watch it go nowhere, thanks to the RINOs.

Merrick Garland’s Department of Justice has a job they consider to be of utmost importance: Protecting the Bidens—no matter how overwhelming and damning the evidence against them may be. At the same time, Garland is bent on destroying Joe’s political rival, Donald Trump even with no evidence to support the charges. Garland and the FBI are not pursuing justice. Instead they’re actively covering up the crimes of Joe Biden. These is quintessential banana republic tactics on display for all to see.

Let’s stay in touch! Sign Up for Our GrrrNewsletter today!

Too many Republicans enjoy flashing their anger while chewing out Deep State Swamp operatives before Congress, but they never do anything. Will Fauci face prison for his blatant lies? Not likely. Too many Republicans play the ‘go along to get along’ game. They seem to be afraid of real change even though they might tell us they desire such change.

Perhaps they are afraid to drain the swamp, because they might be drained along with it.

— The GrrrTeam
Yawn. Although it is kind of funny that apparently the soyboy meme is still a thing. Hadn't seen that unironically in a while.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"ample and overwhelming evidence of Joe’s treasonous crimes"

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

VKing posted:

Kellies Nomination: Most opposite of reality.
Seconded, this has been bugging the poo poo out of me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=define+banana+republic

Wikipedia result: what the country already is if you go by the second paragraph, "a country with an economy of state capitalism, whereby the country is operated as a private commercial enterprise for the exclusive profit of the ruling class", and Trump is on the side that wants to make it worse at every possible opportunity.
The New Yorker definition: "any country that has a ruthless, corrupt, or just plain loopy leader who relies on the military and destroys state institutions in an egomaniacal quest for prolonged power". Jack's punishing the country's former Head of State, for being corrupt, and for trying to destroy state institutions in an egomanical quest for prolonged power.
Dictionary.com definition: "a small, poor country, often reliant on a single export or limited resource, governed by an authoritarian regime and characterized by corruption and economic exploitation by foreign corporations conspiring with local government officials". What little of that applies to us, again, on the Trump side.

There is just no rational way to construe Branco's take as anything but the opposite of reality.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm so loving sick of all the "banana republics are when politicians are held accountable for crimes" takes.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

InsertPotPun posted:

yeah if there's one person getting a ton of subpoenas lately it sure is hillary.

It's impossible to tell because the art style is so simplified, but that's the other bunny, which is a stand in for Trump and the "bad" republicans, not to be confused with the skunk, who is also a standin for trump.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought the other bunny was Clinton/Obama/bad dems who are not Hillary.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Guavanaut posted:

I thought the other bunny was Clinton/Obama/bad dems who are not Hillary.

Yeah I think the one in that cartoon's the bunny of the apocalypse or something, distinct from the Hillary stand-in bunny (who is also evil).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
According to wiki:

Kevin, the Lost Bunny of the Apocalypse. Depending on the needs of the strip, he's alternately meant to evoke Barack Obama and Bill Clinton. He reports on signs of the "end times". In 2010, he was elected to the U.S. Senate under the banner of Winslow's "Lefty Tea Party".
Hunny, Kevin's wife (also a bunny) and a prominent politician. Her character is a thinly veiled satire of Hillary Clinton.

I now know more about Prickly City than Scott Stantis.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Look if we aren’t drilling, mining, or otherwise exploiting every goddamn inch of this planet then what good is it?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Microplastics posted:

I dunno if you lot remember but back when this thread was in LF there was a cartoonist who had a "checkers v. chess" cartoon he kept re-using for various political spats
It’s Daryl Cagle who owns the website for collecting cartoons and charging licensing fees to use them in papers. Seems to be waning as newspapers continue to die and fewer people take up the profession to replace the boomer dinosaurs who occupied the position for 40+ years.

He’s notorious for recycling ideas, such as “person as knight vanquishes person as dragon.” or “two politicians farting climbing up a cliff. Not sure if it’s just being too busy running Cagle.com, laziness, or both. But he did gives us a butt being force-fed through a feeding tube, so that has to be worth something.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on a challenging week for Rishi Sunak’s stop the boats policy – During the government’s ‘small boats week’ of policy initiatives, at least six people died in the Channel and estimated total crossings passed 100,000"

Telegraph:

UK borrowing costs surge to mini-Budget levels after GDP leap

Times:

Evening Standard:

Health Secretary defends action over Legionella-hit asylum seeker barge

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Y'know, I'm completely OK with all these Gorrell quality old white guys losing their jobs to AI.
Can we hasten the process somehow, maybe teach an AI how to "Prez bad'?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Pants Donkey posted:

But he did gives us a butt being force-fed through a feeding tube, so that has to be worth something.

Does anyone have this? It sounds amazing.

Looking for it i did find these. He really is channeling Gorrell here.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Guavanaut posted:

In 2010, he was elected to the U.S. Senate under the banner of Winslow's "Lefty Tea Party".
Hey you guys know that embarrassing and horrible thing we did? Well what if... you guys did it?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I dont know posted:

Does anyone have this? It sounds amazing.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I did not expect to see anything like that today.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

This image has a lot more of a Dr. Seuss art-style than I expected.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Vib Rib posted:

Hey you guys know that embarrassing and horrible thing we did? Well what if... you guys did it?

I feel like this is a lot of Prickley City. Carmen constantly making excuses and "No True Scotsmaning" whatever embarrassing or just plain evil things the GOP happens to be doing that particular day.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

This image has a lot more of a Dr. Seuss art-style than I expected.
We’ll give you such food!
We’ll give you the lot!
Vitamin Zs for your knees
And grapplegum for your tum
We care not for your tude
We won’t let you rot.
Vitamin Gs through your pees
And snappleplum through your bum
We’ll give you such food!
Whether you like it or not.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
SOY
Extra Wimpy

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Rowe:

Mark Latham dumped as One Nation’s NSW leader after intervention from Pauline Hanson (Guardian). Latham was once Federal Labor leader; he was alleged to have broken a taxi drivers arm and there is a famous photo where he shook John Howard's hand hyper-aggressively the day before the 2004 election which Labor lost.

Golding (x4):

Le Lievre:

Mackenzie Arnold, goalkeeper for the Matildas.

Knight:

Wilcox:

Lethbridge:

Spooner:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Skios posted:

Bob Gorrell

That's a Biden victory.

Like I get what you're going for, but you didn't put anything up in the air, that's a Biden victory that you depicted, using the images you decided to include in your own cartoon, this isn't up for debate, this is a Biden victory.

Also "Biden's son might be corrupt" and "Donald Trump personally oversaw an effort to overthrow the federal government" is not bothsides-ism-worthy, granting literally everything that Bob Gorrell even thought worthy of mentioning in the cartoon.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

That's a Biden victory.

Like I get what you're going for, but you didn't put anything up in the air, that's a Biden victory that you depicted, using the images you decided to include in your own cartoon, this isn't up for debate, this is a Biden victory.

Also "Biden's son might be corrupt" and "Donald Trump personally oversaw an effort to overthrow the federal government" is not bothsides-ism-worthy, granting literally everything that Bob Gorrell even thought worthy of mentioning in the cartoon.

Which year did Gorrell copy-paste this map from anyway. Not 2020 since GA and WI are red. Shouldn't NE be striped as well? I'm pretty sure Biden won the district including Omaha.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Absolute fuckwit, 'how good is X' is a Scotty from Marketing phrase.

Dogcunt even made it the name of his totally not Liberal propaganda psuedo-biography

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Randall Enos - Colloquial Chit Chat

Dave Whamond

Adam Zyglis

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Hunt11 posted:

This. The chess player either wins or forces a draw. And the checkers player is unable to block pieces because the chess player has twice as much space to move on. And sure, one bishop is completely useless (and only serves to block their own pieces), but that's the only disadvantage the chess pieces have.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Randall Enos - Colloquial Chit Chat

Wow brutal own on cats there

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They know what they did.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

US plundering global wealth by Li Min

A recession is coming by Cai Meng

I sort of hope they keep the theme 'running away from something' going for the whole week.

Charlie Hebdo

Overtourism at Etrétat
A coastal village in Normandy with famous cliffs. It's worth a visit but maybe not in the summer.

Fire at a hostel in Alsace: The challenge worsens

Don't know if this case involves storks but they're a protected species.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I sort of hope they keep the theme 'running away from something' going for the whole week.
They all look a bit like they could be a really antisemitic GrrrTeam cartoon just with the cultural cues changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Chip Bok

Chris Britt

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Michael Ramirez