Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Based on the numbers I could find, yeah:

US: 582,000 / 0,18%
Germany: 260,000 / 0,31% = 1,8x US homeless population per capita
France: 330,000 / 0,49% = 2,8x US homeless population per capita
UK: 271,000 / 0,40% = 2,3x US homeless population per capita

Obviously there is always the question of how interested the people reporting are in reporting correctly, or what definitions are used, but the US seems to have a major leg up compared to major European countries. Taking a look at some other European countries, you get:

Denmark: 6,400 / 0,11% = 0,6x US homeless population per capita
Sweden: 33,000 / 0,32% = 1,8x US homeless population per capita
Poland: 33,400 / 0,09% = 0,5x US homeless population per capita

The Denmark/Sweden numbers kinda makes me think it's some methodological difference, but I suppose it is also possible that we've found even further proof of the superiority of Danish civil society.

That said, the US also has a huge incarcerated population, which could be cutting down on their homeless numbers. If you add that population to the homeless population, as a sort of "Definitely not ideal living situation" number, you get:

US: 0,71%
Germany: 0,38%
France: 0,59%
UK: 0,52%
Denmark: 0,18%
Sweden: 0,39%
Poland: 0,30%

Which evens things out a bit. France still really isn't in a position to really brag though, even if it's better than the US.

When I was looking at the Homelessness stats myself the thing that really popped out to me was that the variance is insane, France and the UK have much higher homelessness stats per capita than America, but then other major European countries (that you wouldn't assume would fare well in this kind of thing) like Italy, Spain and Poland are a lot better than America.

I can't really ferret out a pattern here so I'm kind of curious if there are fundamental methodological differences when it comes to defining and counting what Homelessness even is between all these countries which might make the whole comparison a wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yeah I'm also interested in methodology. For example in Britain a person who say lives on their friends sofa is homeless, would that person be counted as homeless in another country or would they have to living on the street?

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah I'm also interested in methodology. For example in Britain a person who say lives on their friends sofa is homeless, would that person be counted as homeless in another country or would they have to living on the street?

Wikipedia mentions 1.5 million for the US as counted by some NGO but then goes on to say official US numbers don't count sheltered homeless. Then it gets more complicated with shelters that offer varying lengths of stay. Are you homeless if you get an apartment in a shelter for 3 months? 1 week? 1 night? What about women's shelters where people live temporarily before going back to their homes?

I'm pretty sure methodology varies considerably so comparing national statistics directly isn't useful. It would have to be a study that takes the differences into account.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I found another page that had the UK at around 90k homeless on a given night in 2018, while Germany was at 860k in 2016. I can't imagine those numbers come about through the same definition. At that point my anecdotal experience of Manchester vs. Berlin seems about as accurate.

That said, a definition of homelessness that goes beyond living on the streets could explain some differences between countries, even if their definitions are the same. A country with a significant foreign student population might be continuously topped off with new homeless people, as it is not always the easiest task finding a place to live before school starts. I also wonder if the EU has managed to import US-style "let's pay our homeless people to move away" homeless solutions, despite language barriers being a much bigger issue here.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I've found an EC document with some interesting charts

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...U5N1110KZjW8jKa

First, on page 24, there's a list of definitions of homelessness as formulated by surveyed officials from member countries. Just from that it's obvious that the scope of what's covered under that term is extremely variable, in some cases there is no real definition and only implicit understanding gleaned from particular provisions in social legislation. The chapter opens by lamenting the failure to introduce a standardized model of homelessness in EU census and research.

Then on page 27 are member states' policies broken up as they regard people in various life situations graded by severity. However the paper notes that just because a person under a certain category is considered to be homeless, doesn't mean there are means in place to provide statistical data regarding persons in that situation.

Further on the paper goes through each category and for each member provides the most recent available data and source - and it's once again obvious that the availability and quality of data fries wildly.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is honestly one of the things the EU has been great for, improving comparability of data between member states. This seems like a prime subject for the EU to tackle.

I can't really speak to the homelessness situation. There's a lot of visible homelessness in Berlin, but that seems to be a problem in other cities, too.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I found another page that had the UK at around 90k homeless on a given night in 2018, while Germany was at 860k in 2016. I can't imagine those numbers come about through the same definition. At that point my anecdotal experience of Manchester vs. Berlin seems about as accurate.

One of the more tragic explanations could also be that our homeless have a much higher mortality rate.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

One of the more tragic explanations could also be that our homeless have a much higher mortality rate.
Oh, right. That's certainly one way to keep the homeless population lower.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

khwarezm posted:

I've been reading this piece about Europe's tech industry woes and I've become increasingly concerned about Europe's endlessly grim seeming economic prospects, we don't really seem to lead on much these days and Europe's relative performance compared to America and China has been falling off sharply in the last couple of decades. If we can't make much headway in massive growth sectors like high technology, where does that leave us for the future? The Americans seem set to remain an economic colossus, but if Europe is falling off and becoming less and less relevant how can we maintain our quality of life?

Like this image below shows just how large a gap exists between relative income in America compared to major European economies.

The times of huge growth are pretty much over for Europe as decarbonization and climate mitigation is ramping up and demographic collapse is taking hold.

I'm not sure if it really makes sense to complain about "number not go up!" from a leftist perspective. The actually important metrics should not be GDP but HDI, life expectancy, social stability, education, etc. and how we are doing compared to other regions with similar nightmare demographics.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Obviously there is always the question of how interested the people reporting are in reporting correctly, or what definitions are used, but the US seems to have a major leg up compared to major European countries. Taking a look at some other European countries, you get:

The Denmark/Sweden numbers kinda makes me think it's some methodological difference, but I suppose it is also possible that we've found even further proof of the superiority of Danish civil society.

That said, the US also has a huge incarcerated population, which could be cutting down on their homeless numbers. If you add that population to the homeless population, as a sort of "Definitely not ideal living situation" number, you get:

Which evens things out a bit. France still really isn't in a position to really brag though, even if it's better than the US.

The number for Germany is "wohnungslose" (literally "apartmentless") and is just the number of people who would like an apartment of their own but don't have one. This includes everything from people who still live with their parents and would like to move out, to someone who moved to a different city for a job and are staying with friends or in a hotel while apartment hunting, to people literally sleeping on the street.

The number of people who actually live on the street and sleep outside or in shelters is estimated to be around 40k.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.politico.eu/article/poland-mateusz-morawiecki-float-migration-referendum-video-election/

quote:

Morawiecki's video paints a grim scenario in case more migrants were allowed into Poland, showing images of burning cars, street violence and a black man licking a knife.

The full question Morawiecki said Poles should answer in the proposed referendum is: "Do you support the admission of thousands of illegal immigrants from the Middle East and Africa under the forced relocation mechanism imposed by the European bureaucracy?”

cool

edit there's also another ballot question about privatization of state assets which PiS is against and the center-left opposition is for

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 13, 2023

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

khwarezm posted:

I've been reading this piece about Europe's tech industry woes and I've become increasingly concerned about Europe's endlessly grim seeming economic prospects, we don't really seem to lead on much these days and Europe's relative performance compared to America and China has been falling off sharply in the last couple of decades. If we can't make much headway in massive growth sectors like high technology, where does that leave us for the future? The Americans seem set to remain an economic colossus, but if Europe is falling off and becoming less and less relevant how can we maintain our quality of life?

Like this image below shows just how large a gap exists between relative income in America compared to major European economies.

We work hundreds of hours less per year on average than Americans, and live years longer than them on top of that. Europe's doing OK not prioritizing GDP growth and "economic prospects" above all else I'd say.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There were 262 600 people who were "wohnungslos" in Germany in 2022, but of those 38 500 were living on the street. (My source is the last report of the ministry for labour and social matters: https://www.bmas.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/DE/Soziale-Sicherung/wohnungslosenbericht-2022.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=4)

quote:

Based on the statistics presented here and the empirical survey, the following orders of magnitude result at the end of January/beginning of February 2022: Around 178,100 persons are accommodated in the emergency housing assistance system, another 49,300 are accommodated with friends or acquaintances (concealed homeless persons) and around 37,400 live on the street or in makeshift accommodation. Taking into account about 8,800 double registrations as well as about 6,600 minors who were not interviewed in the empirical study, but who live together with their parents on the street or in concealed homelessness (cf. chapter 5.1.1), the sum of these three groups amounts to about 262,600 homeless persons. Of these, almost two thirds (63 %) are male, a good third (35 %) are female and two percent are diverse or no information is available.

[...]

Homeless people without accommodation, for example, are by far the oldest, with an average age of 44 years; the housed (32 years) and concealed homeless persons (35 years) are significantly younger. The proportion of homeless persons who are minors also varies considerably. Among housed homeless persons, a quarter (26%) are younger than 18 years, among homeless people without accommodation it is 3% and in the group of concealed homeless persons it is 10%. Correspondingly, almost half (46 %) of the housed homeless persons belong to a household with children (single parent, couple household with children). This is only true for 4 % of homeless people without accommodation and those living homeless without a roof over their heads. In contrast, three quarters of them are single and a further 11 % are in a partnership without children (housed homeless people: 41 % and 3 % respectively).

As noted above, the definition in Germany for homeless people is broader than in the USA (it includes refugees who want their own place to live but can't find any and are forced to still live in refugee accommodation). But people living on the street are more numerous per capita in the USA. (And we are comparing pre-pandemic numbers for the USA with post-pandemic numbers in Germany)

Trying to compare statistics on this kind of societal failure is quite difficult, of course, because quite a few governments are very invested in not allowing any transparency in the matter. But Americans seem to constantly complain about homeless people on public transit or homeless camps.

Also, jfc: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_children#United_States

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

Trying to compare statistics on this kind of societal failure is quite difficult, of course, because quite a few governments are very invested in not allowing any transparency in the matter. But Americans seem to constantly complain about homeless people on public transit or homeless camps.
In fairness, the homeless are deliberately funneled into major metropolitan areas from across the US, which makes the issue far more acute in the areas that have a pop culture presence/public transit.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Amazing looking at this considering the respective stereotypes for Mexicans and Germans.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

khwarezm posted:

Amazing looking at this considering the respective stereotypes for Mexicans and Germans.

Mexicans would probably have managed to complete Berlin Brandenburg airport in less than 14 years.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

khwarezm posted:

Or the greeks vs ze germans

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much every underclass who works themselves to the bone is stereotyped as lazy by the overclass who see them having any sort of leisure time whatsoever.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Would a non-lazy person hang out in my giant garden all day? Or literally live in vacation countries?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blut posted:

Mexicans would probably have managed to complete Berlin Brandenburg airport in less than 14 years.

Hell, the American mafia could've done it faster and probably cheaper.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You just haven't understood the objective behind the BER. It successfully funnelled lots of public money into private hands over many years before they were forced to finish it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

khwarezm posted:

Obviously Germans are more efficient and therefore require less work time for equal or greater value

:jerkbag:

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm not sure if it really makes sense to complain about "number not go up!" from a leftist perspective. The actually important metrics should not be GDP but HDI, life expectancy, social stability, education, etc. and how we are doing compared to other regions with similar nightmare demographics.
These literally are numbers that we want to go up.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Sereri posted:

Obviously Germans are more efficient and therefore require less work time for equal or greater value
Again, this literally is what increased industrial and agricultural automation does, something Germany does pretty well compared to Mexico.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

I wonder what the 2019 or even 2021 figures looked like. 2022 had multiple economic shocks in Europe and the UK which trashed EUR and GBP relative to USD and the recovery has been slow, so even with PPP adjustment there must be some effect on the figures. Obviously currency strength reflects various things also reflected in GDP but it does make me question how much this is EUROPE IN DECLINE versus Europe recently dealt with the economic shocks of the Ukraine invasion and Liz Truss.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Herman Merman posted:

Again, this literally is what increased industrial and agricultural automation does, something Germany does pretty well compared to Mexico.

A German who doesn't get humour?

:thejoke:

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Blut posted:

A German
how dare you

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah, an Austrian?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blut posted:

Well, probably, but on the other hand:

i fly airplanes posted:

AMLO, who seems unable to keep away from Mexican aviation, is now ready to set another $230 million on fire https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-08-10/amlo-s-airline-to-take-off-with-4-billion-and-10-boeing-jets and that's USD, not Peso.

He's previously forced all cargo flights to move to his pet project airport, Santa Lucia which has been a disaster because of how cargo/passenger planes co-mingle with customs facilities and how MEX is used as a cargo hub.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/mexican-president-defends-bid-move-cargo-longstanding-hub-new-airport-2023-01-19/

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Well, probably, but on the other hand:

Those are rookie numbers. BER went €7.5bn over budget, on an initial budget of €2.8bn. Just a casual 350%+ cost overrun.

(and that extra funding wasn't to make the construction process more efficient either - it took 14 years in the end, instead of the initial 5)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Owling Howl posted:

Wikipedia mentions 1.5 million for the US as counted by some NGO but then goes on to say official US numbers don't count sheltered homeless. Then it gets more complicated with shelters that offer varying lengths of stay. Are you homeless if you get an apartment in a shelter for 3 months? 1 week? 1 night? What about women's shelters where people live temporarily before going back to their homes?

I'm pretty sure methodology varies considerably so comparing national statistics directly isn't useful. It would have to be a study that takes the differences into account.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That said, a definition of homelessness that goes beyond living on the streets could explain some differences between countries, even if their definitions are the same. A country with a significant foreign student population might be continuously topped off with new homeless people, as it is not always the easiest task finding a place to live before school starts. I also wonder if the EU has managed to import US-style "let's pay our homeless people to move away" homeless solutions, despite language barriers being a much bigger issue here.

From memory, so take this with a grain of salt, but Germany defines homeless as all adults who don't have a registered home address. So if you e.g. are too slow to immediately get your government ID when you turn 18 and register your parent's home as your home address, welp if the government does a census before you rock up and get your ID-card, your dumb rear end will also be counted as homeless.

And sometimes the system can get screwy, I remember a scandal from the past where this marvelous system of counting managed to put two big dogs down as citizens with a registered home address, and kept sending their owners tax paperwork because the dogs hadn't declared any income. To be on the safe side, I suggest halving every government-issued count of homeless people in Germany.

Edit:

Foreign students in Germany would have a Aufenthaltsgenehmigung, and so wouldn't be counted as homeless, until they actually live on the streets and a government official goes around making a headcount, which :lol: nope

As far as the German government is concerned, foreign students already have a home: It's just not in Germany

Libluini fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 19, 2023

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

The Economist had a good article (a few, actually) on Germany last week that had a choice quote relating to German bureaucracy:

quote:

"Even optimists are losing hope. “Artificial intelligence is often irrelevant for us, because there is no ai for a fax machine yet,” sighs Ann Cathrin Riedel, who runs next, an advocacy group that seeks to digitise public bureaucracies.

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2023/08/17/the-german-economy-from-european-leader-to-laggard

It always sounds impressively awfully luddite there. I don't know how people deal with it, in most of the rest of wealthy/Northern Europe public services are pretty rapidly evolving with technology these days.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Blut posted:

It always sounds impressively awfully luddite there. I don't know how people deal with it, in most of the rest of wealthy/Northern Europe public services are pretty rapidly evolving with technology these days.

When today's decision-makers in Germany were in their 30s, the country was at the forefront of global technology. Now, as they're over 60, many resist change, often saying, "Things have always worked this way; why change them now?"

A similar phenomenon is happening in Japan for the same reasons.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And yet where is Germany's answer to the Playstation 5, I shout angrily at my Amazon Alexa.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Blut posted:

The Economist had a good article (a few, actually) on Germany last week that had a choice quote relating to German bureaucracy:

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2023/08/17/the-german-economy-from-european-leader-to-laggard

I wonder if fes level in eidas (checkbox) has been a german idea if that's article is accurate. I have to digitize every process at work at gunpoint and those fuckers still run comms over faxes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Honj Steak posted:

When today's decision-makers in Germany were in their 30s, the country was at the forefront of global technology. Now, as they're over 60, many resist change, often saying, "Things have always worked this way; why change them now?"

A similar phenomenon is happening in Japan for the same reasons.

Plus of course the old neoliberal "the state doing anything that costs money is bad" maxim getting in the way. Just a few weeks ago the ministry of the interior released a budget where the amount of money for the overall digitization of the bureaucracy was cut from some 370 million down to 3.3 million, with a half-hearted promise that they'll probably find the remaining money from some unused expenses. Similar digitization projects also saw substantial cuts of up to 50%. All this on the behest of the ministry of finance, currently held by the supposedly liberal party FDP. The same guys who are constantly crowing about how important technology and digitization are, but of course in practice literally the only things they actually do are austerity and corruption.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
A lot of german suppliers asked to partecipate in pnrr projects in our field and then honestly we felt like talking to martians when asked "Why are you asking us for digital signatures sent over REM? We don't even know what a REM is" or "why doesn't a standard paper invoice do? What even is a digital invoice?". We need them so we had to hold their hand but it's unnerving.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Aug 22, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I hate to hand it to the FDP, and I want to be absolutely clear that I am absolutely not doing that, but just spending money on digitising won't do poo poo. That budget is better viewed as an FDP slush fund to funnel public money into FDP beneficiaries pockets.

All the problems I have at work boil down to old people sitting in leadership roles purely by seniority, the pay scale in public sector being extremely insane and unappealing (lmao at offering 45k p.a. for a programmer with 10 years of experience because they haven't studied, and 50k if they have), and the pay grades being extremely inflexible. The result of all that is a public sector run by olds who can't fill IT positions with competent people, and the few competent people they can get who genuinely want to work in the public sector get burned out immediately. So they have to contract out (if they can), but can't at all determine just how much the contractors are loving them over. And it's all for nothing anyway, because without organisational buy-in IT can't change poo poo about processes.

The problem is entirely structural and primarily at the state level, not federal.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Antigravitas posted:

The problem is entirely structural and primarily at the state level, not federal.

Digitizing public sector is something that need to be pushed from the top, otherwise it's going to be a hodgepodge of non-intercommunicating systems purchased from the state rather fed friends. Like medical cms that doesn't talk from a county to the other requiring patients to get a printout to deliver to the other county medic.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Most of those matters are state matters though. You won't see the federal state telling the states what to do in that area without the states' consent.

As an side: The medical thing is changing slowly. You no longer need to get a paper sick note from your doctor, hand one version to your employer and send the other to your health insurer for example. That's now digitised and automatic (thank gently caress), and the electronic patient records are slowly being rolled out as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

Most of those matters are state matters though. You won't see the federal state telling the states what to do in that area without the states' consent.
Getting consent involves broaching the subject in the first place.