Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
every basketball jesus needs his basketball judas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I'm guessing Morey was hitting a wall on any decent trade offer, and got the okay from ownership to scuttle his trade value just to get him off the books to any taker

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Drunk Canuck posted:

I'm guessing Morey was hitting a wall on any decent trade offer, and got the okay from ownership to scuttle his trade value just to get him off the books to any taker

daryl morey doesnt lose trades, so no. he wants a high return or harden to play for the 76ers.

harden is out there annihilating his trade value with statements like above and holdout threats.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The next move is clear: fire Morey

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

it's pretty great that all this is happening all because Morey just had to sign PJ loving Tucker

Harden will hold out and still probably average as many shots a game as Tucker

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Death By The Blues posted:

lmao I have never ever seen a player straight up say it like that.

:xd: This prompted me to hunt down original haircut post from last fall, pro-click for anyone who missed it and/or needs a stack of laughs for their Monday morning

big boi posted:

No, not a bowl cut. I said gravy boat

rivetz fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 14, 2023

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Who could have seen this coming besides everyone who is not Daryl Morey apparently

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/sreekyshooter/status/1690795842880290817

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
can't wait for the embiid trade request to get granted before Harden's

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Took Wiggins 7 years to get over embiids bad vibes at Kansas

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Harden's offensive bag is only matched by his trade demand tactics bag

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Who gets traded first, Harden or Lillard?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

trusting a guy to take care of you with the next contract seems foolish, even if that guy has a portrait of you in his house

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Labor ever trusting management/ownership is the absolute stupidest thing they can ever do.

They 99% of the time do not give a poo poo about you.

the other 1% of the time is Marc Cuban and Chandler Parsons being BFFs

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

mistermojo posted:

trusting a guy to take care of you with the next contract seems foolish, even if that guy has a portrait of you in his house

I think both parties have pretty understandable positions here.

Morey originally intended to give Harden the contract but is now balking at the idea after Harden's repeated bed making GBS threads. If the Sixers won a championship, I don't think there would be any problem, but they didn't, they crashed the same way they have the last many years.

Harden doesn't want to work for a guy who promises him money then doesn't pay, regardless of whether or not that deal is worthwhile, a man is only as good as his word.

I don't know how you rectify that from either side.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
This reminded me of the brief time the 76ers for some insane reason hired Colangelo, then his burners got outed defending his collars. How could you look at the Raptors and see the turnaround after they handed the keys to Masai and thinking Colangelo should ever get another chance.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Spacebump posted:

Who gets traded first, Harden or Lillard?

Can they work out a deal? How does James feel about Portland’s strip clubs?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lowe talked a bunch about a Harden/Lillard three team deal and it always comes back to Portland wanting young guys, Maxey being only the real valuable young guy anyone would want on LAC/Philly, and how much better would Philly be if they swapped Harden and Maxey for Lillard and stuff

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Death By The Blues posted:

This reminded me of the brief time the 76ers for some insane reason hired Colangelo, then his burners got outed defending his collars. How could you look at the Raptors and see the turnaround after they handed the keys to Masai and thinking Colangelo should ever get another chance.

I mean, them hiring colangelo was incredibly sane.

The League essentially foisted him onto them lol.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I feel like getting Jerry was sane but letting him hire his son was not. (unless I'm mixing up how that went).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Basketball in the 90s was just tougher, and today's players wouldn't be able to hack it. Sorry not sorry, here's proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhMR3wvst4Y&t=130s

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/JHarden13/status/1691151583311187968

Morey start another international incident plz

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Just first ballot Hall of Fame level trade request things from James Edward Harden Jr.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

waiting for ACCK-SHOE-ALL-EEE twitter posters to zupruder Harden's trade request moves and how they are actually good and legal under the CBA

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

we have watched this man push away three elite, all world ball handlers in Jimmy Butler, James Harden, Ben Simmons, and it's about time the reckoning came for Jo el

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Shrug, the League could probably fine him for one reason or another but mostly he's just doing everyone's God given right to be an annoying employee and poo poo talk the boss and place you work.

May have some consequences,.may not.

But he is going to make it as annoying as possible to keep him around.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 14, 2023

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/KyrieIrving/status/1691147777634447360?t=gnSBZZiTDDKOoEA70RYtIA&s=19

Keeps getting funnier

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

This is a pivot for Kyrie to align with China

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

KD just gotta swoop in with a reply and we'll finally get to see the 2022 Brooklyn Nets working in unison

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

ISO GANG!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If Morey did tell him he'd get an extension or they'd happily trade him for neutral assets then yes, Morey is a dingus and Harden should go scorched earth.

I am guessing there's more to it though. If Harden thought he was getting an extension, why opt in instead of opting out and re-signing in FA? My guess is Morey said something akin to "We'll explore trades if you want to" and either the offers are REALLY bad (possible) or Morey-Broke-Brain refuses any trade that is not an objective, on-paper win (seems more possible) that Morey is saying there's nothing out there and Harden is pissed.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

Morey promised him a max for taking that paycut

If this is true (and I wouldn’t be surprised) all Harden would have to do to totally gently caress Morey and the Sixers is to say that publicly.

Of course, I have no idea what the consequences for the player would be in that situation

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Aye Doc posted:

KD just gotta swoop in with a reply and we'll finally get to see the 2022 Brooklyn Nets working in unison

KD is probably already half the replies in the twitter discourse on this topic from his accounts KDBurner121 through KDBurner349

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I think the more likely thing is Morey promised him a trade but is it valued brained to go through with it.

Which this is about what he should have expected to happen

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

it seems like the simplest explanation is morey told harden they'd trade him if he opted in, but they can't find a good trade because its easier said than done to find a way to trade a 35mil dollar contract to a contending team who is willing to give up something that matches that salary that philadelphia actually wants

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Sorry I've just started following basketball more closely recently. Is it normal to pick up your own option when you want to be traded instead of just going to free agency? The reporting seems to indicate Harden wants to go to the Clippers, why did he not just go to free agency and sign with the Clippers?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wezlar posted:

Sorry I've just started following basketball more closely recently. Is it normal to pick up your own option when you want to be traded instead of just going to free agency? The reporting seems to indicate Harden wants to go to the Clippers, why did he not just go to free agency and sign with the Clippers?

Clippers don't have enough (or any, really) space under the cap to sign him unless he's playing for the veteran minimum

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Wezlar posted:

Because he couldn't for anything other than the minimum or tax payer mle, because the Clippers and other contenders are over the cap or tax teams.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Wezlar posted:

Clippers don't have cap space to sign him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

pyrotek posted:

If this is true (and I wouldn’t be surprised) all Harden would have to do to totally gently caress Morey and the Sixers is to say that publicly.

Of course, I have no idea what the consequences for the player would be in that situation

there would be no consequences for either harden or the sixers. why would there be you can lie to a dude. people get on national tv and say michael jordan was good at basketball you can say whatever you want