Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

zer0spunk posted:

and dont feel like you need to buy EVERYTHING, you'll go insane

What if it's a good deal? Then you're required to buy it, I think. It'd be irresponsible not to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

I watched that cereal at midnight guy complain about burnout recently and that dude gets 95% of stuff comped to review. He likened himself to the time at last twilight zone guy..like my dude, if you're spending more time making videos about releases than watching them maybe get some more people involved or something.

i'm not even 40 yet and i'm starting to realize between books and films there's no way i'm going to get through it all anyway and I should be more choosy, if anything i need a purge soon.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Purging is for quitters. A real collector dies when their massive collection collapses on top of them, trapping them and allowing no one to hear their screams.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

FrumpleOrz posted:

Purging is for quitters. A real collector dies when their massive collection collapses on top of them, trapping them and allowing no one to hear their screams.

Do you want me to become a binder person?? This is how you get binder people.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm not entirely sure how I would approach getting into blu rays today because the landscape was so much different 10-12 years ago when I first started with it. Back then, my mentality was just trying to build up as broad a library of my favorite films as possible and as cheaply as possible. And that seemed very feasible to do because even though blu ray was far and away the best format available, it was pretty easy to find cheap blu rays. I'd say to myself "I need to look into buying Blade Runner", and then look it up and find out that a Blade Runner blu ray was $10 or $12. At those prices there were a lot of easy no-brainer decisions and I built up a big collection pretty fast that way.

Today though, I'd be torn on a lot of those decisions because maybe there's a bargain bin blu ray that's 10 years old, but do I want to settle for a lesser blu ray transfer when there's a nice 4k version that a small boutique label put out for like $30 or $40? Is Movie X important enough to me that I want to spend twice as much to own the super special collectors edition UHD when there's a regular blu available for $8? These are tough decisions that just didn't exist back when I started.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I feel for horror fanatics. Y'all got the short end of the stick until blu-ray basically, and then it was open season on cheap-to-license stuff packaged in fancy cardboard at premiums..and those sell like hotcakes. Real monkeys paw stuff.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah, the most important thing for me that I had to remember is that I wanted:

1. Copies of things that I knew I would watch multiple times

2. Cool or interesting releases, such as critically-acclaimed transfers or cool special features or even a unique packaging that sparks joy.

The fun of crawling through thrift stores and used video stores has been thrilling - I was giddy when I found the director's cut of But I'm A Cheerleader in the wild - but when things like the American Graffiti 4K or the thing that started it all for me with that Nightbreed multidisc release from Shout Factory pop up that's a thrill in its own way.

Ultimately I think the fun, for me, of physically collecting has been looking at shelves in my living room and thinking "these are movies that mean something to me, that I can watch at any time as long as I have a player and a TV, that say something about me or have a story behind them". So try to remember to have fun over everything. You're in a good area for local shops so enjoy the treasure hunt!

Oh, and lastly...let yourself be surprised. If you see something at a store you've never seen and it sparks some joy, pick it up and give it a shot. Collecting is cool but actually watching your collection and being surprised by blind buys is its own special delight.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Today though, I'd be torn on a lot of those decisions because maybe there's a bargain bin blu ray that's 10 years old, but do I want to settle for a lesser blu ray transfer when there's a nice 4k version that a small boutique label put out for like $30 or $40? Is Movie X important enough to me that I want to spend twice as much to own the super special collectors edition UHD when there's a regular blu available for $8? These are tough decisions that just didn't exist back when I started.

For me, this kind of stuff seems really important before I start watching a movie but then I stop caring within five minutes of starting the movie (unless it's a really bad transfer like Prizzi's Honor). I learned a long time ago that all of that fancy collections edition stuff doesn't make me happy either so I'll stick with regular editions. Makes it a lot easier.

zer0spunk posted:

Do you want me to become a binder person?? This is how you get binder people.

Binder people belong in the trash. Absolutely disgusting! If it's a consolation, I have a ton of piles that'll trap me some day. I'm a sucker for 50 cent thrift store blu-rays.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Oh, and lastly...let yourself be surprised. If you see something at a store you've never seen and it sparks some joy, pick it up and give it a shot. Collecting is cool but actually watching your collection and being surprised by blind buys is its own special delight.

I rented the Criterion of Deep Cover the other week, it was phenomenal and exactly this sort of experience. I'll keep this advice in mind!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FrumpleOrz posted:

For me, this kind of stuff seems really important before I start watching a movie but then I stop caring within five minutes of starting the movie (unless it's a really bad transfer like Prizzi's Honor). I learned a long time ago that all of that fancy collections edition stuff doesn't make me happy either so I'll stick with regular editions. Makes it a lot easier.

These days though there's that extra factor of all the nice new 4k transfers coming out. So sometimes you're paying more for a boutique label release with nicer packaging, but it's also a new 4k transfer where you're unquestionably getting a better viewing experience too.

In terms of packaging though I do enjoy having nice packaging on my favorite films, the ones that I go back to again and again. I'm a big rewatcher, there are a ton of films that I rewatch every year or maybe every other year. So when that time of year rolls around and it's time to watch Ghostbusters, there's no doubt that I get a nice feeling of satisfaction when I pull that steelbook off the shelf and it's got the Ghostbusters logo on there and it's hefty and it looks and feels great. I do get a kick out of that, I have to admit.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

These days though there's that extra factor of all the nice new 4k transfers coming out. So sometimes you're paying more for a boutique label release with nicer packaging, but it's also a new 4k transfer where you're unquestionably getting a better viewing experience too.

In terms of packaging though I do enjoy having nice packaging on my favorite films, the ones that I go back to again and again. I'm a big rewatcher, there are a ton of films that I rewatch every year or maybe every other year. So when that time of year rolls around and it's time to watch Ghostbusters, there's no doubt that I get a nice feeling of satisfaction when I pull that steelbook off the shelf and it's got the Ghostbusters logo on there and it's hefty and it looks and feels great. I do get a kick out of that, I have to admit.

Absolutely, the process of rewatching a movie you love with cool packaging, taking it out and putting it in your player, settling down on the couch, that little spark of joy is so important. The other day I rewatched The Shape Of Water for the first time since 2017 and even though it was just the standard Blu-Ray there was something so fun about popping that disc in and immediately remembering how much I enjoyed that film. I have an awesome Tucker & Dale vs. Evil steelbook that just makes me smile every time I see it on the shelf and I'm giddily awaiting the Arrow release of Elvira: Mistress of the Dark.

I feel like physical media is a great way to intentionally engage with movies you love by figuring out what you prioritize with each movie's watching experience. There's a sort of thoughtfulness to it all.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ALRIGHT

I did it, I made an offer for a blu-ray copy of Jade on ebay and the seller accepted it. This is definitely the most I've spent on a oop blu-ray, but I dont regret it.

You're welcome for the upcoming UHD release in a month.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Oh and what the hell does everyone do to store an ever-growing number of movies?? I've been eyeing IKEA Billy shelves but I don't know where I'd put them in my place...

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Not a great solution for the very hardcore but I have both a coffee table and tv stand with built-in storage where I keep my discs.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Big Mac posted:

Oh and what the hell does everyone do to store an ever-growing number of movies?? I've been eyeing IKEA Billy shelves but I don't know where I'd put them in my place...

I can vouch for Billy bookcases being a great place for me to store the 4K Blu rays that I buy so I can watch them whenever I want, but then never actually watch because it means standing up from my couch and walking 2m.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I checked to see if there are any Half Price Bookses in Oregon, and there aren't, but apparetly there's like 7 in Washington all in a line on one highway.

wicked duck
Sep 2, 2004

Big Mac posted:

I only have a couple hundred, but keep coming back to this issue. Beyond the usual amazon/wayfair/IKEA options are there high-quality media shelves out there that I’m missing?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Big Mac posted:

I have two of these. They're a little tough to assemble but I love 'em. https://a.co/d/deT9Spk

They even have room on top to display, for example, a signed VHS tape or a little ceramic pumpkin. :3:

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Big Mac posted:

Cheap shelves that are attached to rails drilled into my wall.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I got lucky and the house I moved into a couple of years ago has quite a bit of built in shelf space next to the tv. I have movies on one side and books on the other, but I think the movies are about to start eating into the book space.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I built a bookshelf last weekend out of some birch plywood I had laying around, specifically for my movies, get it into my office and start putting my movies on the shelf and… I ran out of room before I got all of my movies on it :bang:

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I've got two wide and one narrow Billy shelves, bolted together for extra stability - I do keep having to move other things like books off them to fit more Blu-rays on though. Also regarding getting started, after I got my first (4K) Blu-ray player in 2020, I went and ordered 6 4K films to get me started (still haven't watched They Live though). Now I tend to buy in person at HMV stores because I enjoy the physical browsing experience there and the minor thrill of finding a movie I've not seen but heard about (I think the vast majority are films I've never seen before), or one that has a nice cover, or is on sale.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I really want to get some sort of spinner tower but all the amazon ones look like total rear end

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
My biggest change in collecting is that I don't buy blu-ray anymore, only 4K. I bought too much stuff that I ended up upgrading in a short period of time.

That and purging the collection of stuff once a year.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I ran out of space, so I upgraded my Monty Python's Flying Circus set from the 16-DVD set to the slim Blu-ray set and I STILL didn't have enough space for all my stuff.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I use my grandparent’s old sideboard loaded with fabric bins from Lowe’s. They’re the perfect size to fit two rows of Blu Rays.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

As someone who already owns the Blu-ray version, is the 4K lord of the rings set worth it? Do I still have to switch disc halfway through each movie?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

ThinkTank posted:

As someone who already owns the Blu-ray version, is the 4K lord of the rings set worth it? Do I still have to switch disc halfway through each movie?

The 2020 releases are vanilla, so I'd wait until we get an edition with all the bonus stuff.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

dorium posted:

ALRIGHT

I did it, I made an offer for a blu-ray copy of Jade on ebay and the seller accepted it. This is definitely the most I've spent on a oop blu-ray, but I dont regret it.

You're welcome for the upcoming UHD release in a month.

However much you paid, it's nothing compared to how much I paid for my Blu-rays for Lucas and The Velvet Vampire. Also, nice pickup. Jade is super underrated and definitely worth having in your collection, as it "rewards" multiple viewings. The disc only the theatrical cut, but it will do until hopefully another label (this would fit nicely with Kino or Arrow) does a proper edition.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Wakanda Forever Steelbooks are cheap on BestBuy.com. Got the Tolakan version for $23+fees. Also GOTG 3 Steelbook keeps showing up.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

I feel for horror fanatics. Y'all got the short end of the stick until blu-ray basically, and then it was open season on cheap-to-license stuff packaged in fancy cardboard at premiums..and those sell like hotcakes. Real monkeys paw stuff.

I can't stop buying them!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Where is my standalone region 1 Jason X boutique release. I don't want to buy the entire Friday the 13th series for $90 just for my favorite one when I already own a DVD set of the others. :negative:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Where is my standalone region 1 Jason X boutique release. I don't want to buy the entire Friday the 13th series for $90 just for my favorite one when I already own a DVD set of the others. :negative:

probably years off if the Friday the 13th 4K was just last year and not a peep has been heard about 2-onward since then.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Wasn't it a bit of a miracle we got the bluray boxset? Those films are in rights hell or some poo poo still?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MacheteZombie posted:

Wasn't it a bit of a miracle we got the bluray boxset? Those films are in rights hell or some poo poo still?

I believe the way things are split now it makes the possibility of a new movie (or this new origin show that is now in limbo due to the strike) easier since both parties will see a fair share of profit. This was as of last year, but both parties still need to agree to all terms since the franchise is fractured in differing ways (the likeness of jason in the hockey mask is dissociated from the Friday the 13th property for instance)

https://www.joblo.com/friday-the-13th-lawsuit-update-sean-s-cunningham-victor-miller/

quote:

Cunningham is prepared to take Miller back to court if he tries to make anything Friday the 13th without his permission, and also believes that Miller is headed for failure if he tried to make something involving “an adult Jason without a hockey mask”. Cunningham believes the international rights to the franchise are still in his hands. So Zerner said,

it's tense? Who knows. I think that Bryan Fuller origin series being greenlit and he getting the rights to the whole enchilada was a miracle so maybe we might luck out.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, I know we have all kinds of rights issues, I was mostly being rhetorical. But I can dream!!!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Big Mac posted:

Boxes

:(

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

ThinkTank posted:

pwn posted:

Personally, I rather dislike the colour grade fuckery, and the complete erasure of film grain, and considering the source is in HD resolution, the whole thing is an unnecessary upscale. The only real plus is HDR, but to my mind, what good is high dynamic range of a bad picture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Z58uiwcME

Like I realise we've been conditioned to continually upgrade, always searching for a better transfer, but this series topped out with Blu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The UHD versions on Max streaming are a horrible smeary mess. I was hoping the discs would be better and saw decent reviews online, but maybe not? :sigh: