Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
It's another brilliant decision to continue milking the whales ruthlessly, so I suspect Chris wasn't involved.

The people that play are terminally online broken-brained CIG hardcore fans. They'll be the only people making videos of the new features. Since they know the tricks and are willing to be as disingenuous as possible to make CIG look good, all the "proof" of new features announced by CIG will be perfect marketing material.

This will also give them even more deniability about features that are in the game. "Oh, we tested it, but only in Evocati in 2024, now we're reworking it based on the PU test results". "You aren't able to see [promised great feature] because you're not in the priority waves.'

Finally, for the vast majority of Citizens, who only play the game on message boards or in their gamedad dreams, this changes nothing but gives them yet another excuse to throw around when people say the game is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
I'm guessing CIG gets three things with this change. First, they reinforce the message that, no, really, this is a real game in development, they're testing it and everything, you can't call it a scam or judge how good it is, it's alphaaaaaaa, etc., etc.. Adding more stages to their "testing" also means more and easier opportunities to delay patches and cut things from them ("we hoped to have ___ ready for everyone but we discovered in early testing that it needed more work").

But most importantly, this should make sure that fewer people are playing Star Citizen at any given time, so fewer people can talk about what the latest changes are like, which helps reduce the number of people who can authoritatively say "this completely loving blows." By the time the latest thing that completely loving blows finally goes out to a wider audience, all the avocados and whales can shut down complaints with a world-weary "it's been like this for over a year, which you'd know if you were paying attention, you are dismissed."

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/60HHc2C.gifv

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

There is a YouTube show with former fighter pilots who play DCS (a flight simulator) and they brought on the community manager (lower left guy in the picture below) for some Q&A. Check out this random fan who donated $10 to ask the question:

The hat is a nice touch

RuckusRouser fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 12, 2023

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

They changed the subject away from Star Citizen to talk about Jedi Survivor, Mass Effect -- making GBS threads on Andromeda a bit -- and then StarField before moving onto the next question

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Look at all them letterbox mouths.

They know.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
r/starcitizen

Gary Oldman spotted in a reflection in ISC. Hopefully this isn't the only Squadron 42 content we will see this year posted:

quote:

Have no fear. At CitCon they show you a bunch of stuff and set unreal expectations, once again.

quote:

To be fair: the last two CitCons they had mostly realistic expectations and didn't show much of anything.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
MassivelyOP has a Star Citizen article from 4 days ago and there's no Joe Blobers in the comments lol

If they lost the Blobers it's gotta be dark times at CIG

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Only Kindness posted:

Look at all them letterbox mouths.

They know.

top left: i refuse to be drawn
bottom left: oh no how do i answer
top right: OH SNAP
bottom right: poo poo-eating chortles barely suppressed

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Here's the thing. We are limited in what we can talk about on Spectrum. Those who want to spread FUD use that fact to mislead. Those who are mislead think they are doing 'the good work' they've been charged and 'ginned up' to do.

Those who are responsible for spreading the FUD absolutely KNOW very well that the impression they are trying to give is not true because they have had access to sources of information for years that we can't talk about. I KNOW because I have seen some of those sources, I got them from them.

Did they feature that information on their Youtube channel or Discord dedicated to giving out information to everyone - no they didn't - I wonder why?

When they pass on information to Youtubers willing to spread unauthorised information do they include it all? No they don't. I wonder why?

Do they use the lack of moderation on a weekend or Reddit to give out the information that disproves their FUD the way they use it to spread their FUD? No they don't. I wonder why.

If you don't know what I'm talking about I suggest you go back to those whispering into your ear and ask them, why do you curate what information you know, have known, for years? Why don't you just give it all and let everyone decide?

You've more chance to find out that way than noise posting on Spectrum... but don't bet on it.

This is what I now KNOW - Squadron 42 E1 is going to be much better than I was expecting it to be. So... thanks.

quote:

I'm not exactly alone am I?

Foolish? Hope? Don't the figures speak for themselves? As people keep reminding us, it's been years.. when's the precipitous fall off coming? We've had the doomsayers predicting it for years. It wasn't last year, or the year before, or the year before that and it doesn't look like it's going to be this year either despite a rocky core tech pillar insertion. Even if they don't take another penny from today (how likely is that?) this year they have out-performed every year prior to 2020, during one of the worst financial crises with inflation higher in most countries than we've seen in decades.

Without delivering? What's all this stuff media pundits keep talking about? Something's giving them cause to make video after video after video jabbering on about it all. Something is bringing players back again and again, according to Chris in ever growing numbers. What do we need guides for if it's only a few old timer deluded moneybags throwing dosh at the screen, why decide to do the new player experience thing now if we're all tired old hands? You think all those with dupe accounts booked flights out to South East Asia just to have their BarCitizen meet ups and fan conventions over there? You think CIG moved to larger premises, paid for remodelling and furnishing so the existing staff could have more leg room and a pool table? What on Earth are these complaints about overpopulated servers and new peeps spoiling the experience for old timer players during events about... Interest dying off?

Seriously, do you examine your arguments sometimes? smh.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Does Agent have a new doggo yet? That's what I want to know!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

I'm unsubscribing posted:

It's been a good journey guys. I've been subbed for over 10 years I think. I built my first PC in 2013 to play this game (and for VR). Now 10 years later, I would have thought the game would be out by now.

All I see are posts about ships and more ships. Endless reworks (how many times has the UI been refactored or replaced?). We still only have 1 system. Exploration jumps are nowhere in sight.

I'll still follow Star Citizen casually, if the game ever releases or there are big updates I'll probably see on YouTube, but I didn't sign up for a 10 year journey on this game.

quote:

I signed my then-teenaged son and I up for a 2 year journey in 2014 when the release date "was 2015 or 2016". He's now 25yo and his 2nd child should be born in the next couple of weeks. CIG still hasn't released their 2nd solar system.

quote:

I was 21 with a 2yo daughter, when I signed up with the KS.

I now am in my 30s, have 4 kids, a house, own a business with several employees. Its been a journey to say the least.

I'm not even angry anymore. But I still enjoy reading the subreddit and following the drama. I don't care what people say about Chris and his past games, or the current staff etc.. this has been one of the most mismanaged games I've ever seen.

And unless Chris is literally making every last decision, then I put a lot of blame on the employees also. The starmap that came out 7 years ago wouldn't have passed even the lowest bar of play testing.

The fact that they can't get EXTREMELY basic features in, like hot swapping from one inventory to the other, meanwhile there are small indie teams of 2 or 3 guys that have added in those features to their alpha survival game in a matter of a month. Its laughable.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

It's time to yet again multiply the yearly death rate curve with the expected star Citizen age distribution to figure out how many citizens have died waiting for their game

Perhaps that might clue us in where some.of the thread legends have gone

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

monocle posted:

Foolish? Hope? Don't the figures speak for themselves? As people keep reminding us, it's been years.. when's the precipitous fall off coming? We've had the doomsayers predicting it for years. It wasn't last year, or the year before, or the year before that and it doesn't look like it's going to be this year either despite a rocky core tech pillar insertion. Even if they don't take another penny from today (how likely is that?) this year they have out-performed every year prior to 2020, during one of the worst financial crises with inflation higher in most countries than we've seen in decades.

God loving drat, what an indictment of humanity. As long as the money keeps flowing in it’s not a scam? Check. People wasting money on a scam when the world is in a financial crisis? Check. The hat trick would have been to compare the amount of income CIG makes to a “third world” country. Real missed opportunity there on pisscat’s part.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Her: Babe wake up new pisscat content dropped

Me: *reads it*

Me: :barf:

Corporate dickriding is degenerate behaviour at the best of times, never mind for a company that 1. takes in money and 2. has no products.

At some point is going to get a rocky core tech pillar insertion of his own, sooner rather than later, one would hope.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Blue On Blue posted:

So hold on let me get this straight

They’ve always sold the packages as your free access to the test server etc. and the subscriber perks same deal

And now they’re changing it to be the more you pay or play ( ha ha ha ) the faster you get access to the test server

First off no one will be playing enough to gain access aside from the terminally stimpirical citizens

Second aside from being business magnates no one is buying the big money packages just to get to test out the latest patch early

And funny enough they even said they know people log in once to check out their new ships or whatever and then log out until it’s in the live server

Maybe this should cause cig to become introspective on the entire situation but I guess it won’t , they will double down on their choices

TBH of all the things SC has done, this one doesn't even register a lol to me. It's actually pretty sensible on their end, testers who don't test aren't really testers or useful.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
They've always separated it in several versions, that's why the PTU is called public test universe, while the whales played in some even jankier test realm.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
This "test" thing is utterly useless anyway, surely. Unless the shitizens are actually doing things that fully test features systemically and also report them in a structured way, which I am fairly certain they do not.

Add to that you pay to become an unpaid tester...

...which is the point, I suppose. No wonder this piece of poo poo will never be released.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

take a wild loving guess on who was saying this in November 2021 posted:

I personally think after studying the Roadmap closely that there will be an internal beta of Squadron 42 Episode One in either Q1 or Q2 of next year and they seem to be aiming for a commercial release perhaps by end of Q4 (the 10th anniversary of the project) of Squadron 42 Episode One. I realise there will be those who howl in derision at this idea but they bring nothing but attitude, no facts beyond their negativity. Of course nothing is set in stone, we all know that, but all the signs are pointing to a crunch time for Squadron 42 right now.

Just a reminder that for all their bluster and assurances of being "in the know", anyone talking about Star Citizen is basically reading the future in tea leaves.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Only Kindness posted:

This "test" thing is utterly useless anyway, surely. Unless the shitizens are actually doing things that fully test features systemically and also report them in a structured way, which I am fairly certain they do not.

Even if they did, nobody at CIG is paying any attention to bug reports from them. The Issue Council might as well be a trashcan, or another cardboard box shoved into the closet with the "Arena Commander Features Team" post-it-note stuck to the door.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Tane

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Anyone here looking forward to Starfield? I really dig most Bethesda games, janky as they are, but it looks really bland and grey like Star Citizen.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Shazback posted:

Just a reminder that for all their bluster and assurances of being "in the know", anyone talking about Star Citizen is basically reading the future in tea leaves.

Yeah, that one is an absolute classic... the unknowable, the alleged, the unproven, the obviously fake and made-up, "think" and "seems" elevated from one sentence to the next to the level of indisputable fact, and then he starts railing against people who disbelieve his nonsense, claiming that they "bring no facts"!

Well here's a fact: it's not out!

Lord Stimperor posted:

Anyone here looking forward to Starfield? I really dig most Bethesda games, janky as they are, but it looks really bland and grey like Star Citizen.

Never heard of it. What's it about?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Lord Stimperor posted:

Only insofar as it's the only new FP space game in town.

It's going to look terrible because Bethesda's engine looks even daffier than CryEngine, everything looks like a tilt-shift diorama in it, human faces are firmly locked in the uncanny valley. No EVA. Bethesda writing and characterization are offensively bland. The flight model will be vestigial, and horrendous.

But it'll still be better than Star Citizen.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Lord Stimperor posted:

As a base for mods, definitely. As a story, not so much, looks fairly generic.

Hopefully lessons learnt etc. With what modders have done with Skyrim V and FO4 is pretty nice, give me hope.

Also it looks like Todd actually wants this to work. It's a massive base to build on for DLC.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I' put my Starfield money into BG3 and so far no regrets.

However I don't think Starfield will be as bland as Star Citizen. While 'Cowboy Planet' and 'Punk Planet' isn't exactly an innovative way of doing things, its still better than 'IBM Planet' and 'Apple Planet'.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Oh, as an aside, since if you're in this thread you are most surely a keen observer of the vibeo gaem industry, it's been enjoyable (i.e. not enjoyable at all) to see the frothing reaction to Baldur's Gate The Third, assuring us that no, this was an aberration and sets no precedent, and that on-disc day-one DLC, FOMO preorder crap, microtransactions, nickel-and-diming, five layers of DRM and unnecessarily-always-online-single-player-only is the norm and will continue, have no fear of that! Stop getting "ideas"!

A slightly more intense version of the industry insisting that's not how you design missions! where's the quest log? when Elden Ring came out.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Experimental Skin posted:

With what modders have done with Skyrim V

PESCat is that you? :aaa:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Have there been any recent Kayak pics? That's the only good thing in a SC thread.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Only Kindness posted:

Oh, as an aside, since if you're in this thread you are most surely a keen observer of the vibeo gaem industry, it's been enjoyable (i.e. not enjoyable at all) to see the frothing reaction to Baldur's Gate The Third, assuring us that no, this was an aberration and sets no precedent, and that on-disc day-one DLC, FOMO preorder crap, microtransactions, nickel-and-diming, five layers of DRM and unnecessarily-always-online-single-player-only is the norm and will continue, have no fear of that! Stop getting "ideas"!

A slightly more intense version of the industry insisting that's not how you design missions! where's the quest log? when Elden Ring came out.

I've been avoiding all BG3 stuff to avoid spoilers for when I pick it up for my winter RPG fix. What's the sketch?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Basically some devs have come out and said that BG3 says an unrealistic standard for games and that they had years of development using an engine that already exists and were funded by the license. Of course they self funded (you don't get paid by companies to use their license lol) and combined that with early access for funding. They used an engine that they had, sure, but still undoubtedly added more to it. And with this they cranked out a polished experience that is hitting the top of metacritic and the top of steam reviews and is in the top ten concurrent games played on Steam. And it's not even out on PS5 yet.

Meanwhile SC is also self funded, more staffed, has had either 4 or 6 years more development time, also uses an existing engine, and their backers get excited by "finally they are fixing it so NPCs don't stand on benches"

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Unrealistic in that it's good? Huh?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Unrealistic in that it's very high quality and has had a frankly ridiculous (in this day and age) amount of time to polish and work on everything because Larian does not have whip-cracking shareholder masters pushing everything to make Number Go Up in the short-term, while still having the resources of a sizable, established company. So they're in a pretty golden spot for BG3's quality to be realistic for them, that a lot of others are not. But people don't think in those terms, be it consumers or shareholders, so a lot of devs outside of Larian are not unreasonably worried about it setting even more unattainable standards that tend to lead to even more burnout and rushed failures.

CIG doesn't have a loving excuse to say anything either way, though. I'm talking about actual game devs and not whatever the hell these guys even are anymore.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

I really don't think Blizzard cares. No matter what they poo poo, their crowd will rage but lap it up after paying for the privilege. Same with CIG in fact.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

FishMcCool posted:

I really don't think Blizzard cares. No matter what they poo poo, their crowd will rage but lap it up after paying for the privilege. Same with CIG in fact.

True. But either way they (both the company, and their dickriders) have a vested interest in the general consumer not getting any funny ideas about "quality" or "completeness" or "ownership" or "preservation".

Also it's just a joke image, not an academic treatise.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Only Kindness posted:

True. But either way they (both the company, and their dickriders) have a vested interest in the general consumer not getting any funny ideas about "quality" or "completeness" or "ownership" or "preservation".

Also it's just a joke image, not an academic treatise.

I'm in academia and I have suffered through reading worse papers than this image.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

FishMcCool posted:

I'm in academia and I have suffered through reading worse papers than this image.

:hellyeah:

Just sums up the whole situation pretty succinctly.

And even more so when it comes to CInG who, unlike those other well-established companies, don't even have a working product.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

disposablewords posted:

Unrealistic in that it's very high quality and has had a frankly ridiculous (in this day and age) amount of time to polish and work on everything because Larian does not have whip-cracking shareholder masters pushing everything to make Number Go Up in the short-term, while still having the resources of a sizable, established company. So they're in a pretty golden spot for BG3's quality to be realistic for them, that a lot of others are not. But people don't think in those terms, be it consumers or shareholders, so a lot of devs outside of Larian are not unreasonably worried about it setting even more unattainable standards that tend to lead to even more burnout and rushed failures.

CIG doesn't have a loving excuse to say anything either way, though. I'm talking about actual game devs and not whatever the hell these guys even are anymore.

Also unrealistic in its choice of scope and in what's “important”.
It doesn't go for super-high-end-4090-only-scrubs-go-home graphics quality, instead opting for a large quantity of better-than-average, making it manageable to QA and polish.
It doesn't go for insane levels of (visual) customisation, instead opting for a controllable number of choices that still offer a huge amount of combinations, and the rest is tied to the actual underlying game system and the inherent game-mechanical choices this represents.
It doesn't try to cram [FotM mechanic] — you know, procedural-generation survival crafting run-based-legacy metrodvania roguelike real-time soulslike bullet hell — in there, but rather settles for being a turn-based RPG with an actual story behind it. Kind of like what D&D is.

It knows exactly what it is and what it wants to be, and is tightly designed to be precisely that. This, of course, is also highly unrealistic.

The one thing where the complaint actually has something that could be construed as a point is that they have the entire Forgotten Realms setting and lore for free. But that conveniently forgets that there are plenty of those kinds of IPs out there if you want them, and that FR in particular is a bit of a mess with how it has been developed over the last… oh… 40 years. So even there, any implementation has to actually make choices of their own as to how the world works (and what parts of it to include). If they had picked Greyhawk or something, there might have been some weight and value to that part, but they didn't.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
So you're just going to gloss over the lack of fidelitious toilet gameplay?