Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've still gotta see Deep Blue Sea, I do enjoy Deep Rising. Also gotta see Deerskin.

Sympathy for the Devil is great, Renfield is not bad. Nic Cage renaissance continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Heavy Metal posted:

I've still gotta see Deep Blue Sea, I do enjoy Deep Rising. Also gotta see Deerskin.

Sympathy for the Devil is great, Renfield is not bad. Nic Cage renaissance continues.

Sympathy for the Devil didn't seem that interesting other than Cage being unhinged. I may check it out.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Sometimes all a movie needs to be solid is Cage being unhinged.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel on found footage so hard now that I'm just checking out all the random cheap ones on tubi thinking I'll find some hidden gem.
I never do, but my weird journey did result in me rewatching Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County on youtube (also watched the original version which id never seen), remains the stuff of childhood nightmares. Wish more found footage looked like a haunted home video, the contemporary cheap ones just look clean and ugly.
Speaking of, it all just makes me appreciate The Outwaters more and more the more I watch of the genre. It's so good! It's so rare for found footage in that it's visually striking, creative, and surreal in its horror...generally cheap found footage just looks like, I don't know, a history channel reality show where a guy shows up in an alien suit or you see a really bad cgi thing. It all just looks bad (and not in a good raw way) and lacks creativity. Makes sense but it's a shame.
It did lead me to watching the rest of Matt Johnson's stuff, not what id call found footage horror but it's fun. Liked The Dirties and Operation Avalanche was solid.
Watching Renny Harlin's Dylatov Pass (i told you this adventure through found footage has been getting sad) was amazing, it's terrible but it's really incredible in how bad the cheap found footage cgi monsters are. They're like, a PS2 version of Shadows of Mordor? Like glitching Gollum-headed orc things? It's hilarious.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Sometimes all a movie needs to be solid is Cage being unhinged.

Colour out of Space did a great job balancing his performance. On the one hand you got stuff like "You have to be really gentle with the... bewbs" but on the other when things go to poo poo his acting isn't TOO over the top and is actually quite effective.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I loved Nic Cages Trump impression in Color out of Space. Its the best part.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of found footage, the opening of Butterfly Kisses probably has one of my favorite opening lines of a found footage movie, but it never quite lives up to what it promises.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
There's a few found footage movies by Isaac Rodriguez on Tubi that are low-budget, just over 60 minutes but better than a lot of others.

Mister Creep has a really good scene interviewing an old lady and Deadware is a neat little story.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Origami Dali posted:

I need a good horror movie that primarily takes place at a carnival/fair or small amusement park that is not The Funhouse, Ghoulies 2, Freaks, or Haunt

The Lost Boys probably counts?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Red_Museum posted:

There's a few found footage movies by Isaac Rodriguez on Tubi that are low-budget, just over 60 minutes but better than a lot of others.

Mister Creep has a really good scene interviewing an old lady and Deadware is a neat little story.

the trailer for Deadware looks fun! Hypnospace Outlaw horror vibes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj3xCungdjc

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

I need a good horror movie that primarily takes place at a carnival/fair or small amusement park that is not The Funhouse, Ghoulies 2, Freaks, or Haunt

Vampire Circus

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

alf_pogs posted:

the trailer for Deadware looks fun! Hypnospace Outlaw horror vibes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj3xCungdjc

It was pretty good, but i'd argue that the ending was rather lackluster. It's not a bad way to spend an hour and 8 minutes.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel on found footage so hard now that I'm just checking out all the random cheap ones on tubi thinking I'll find some hidden gem.
Have you checked out The Fear Footage trilogy yet? Or anything directed by Isaac Rodriguez?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
What are some horror movie posters/box art you think are great, for whatever reason of appeal?

I dig a lot about this design.
Skeleton as a containment unit? Rad.
The extra-pulpy art look of the woman framed in an open coffin? Great.
The way the skeleton's lifting of its crimson robe makes it look like it has an amazing shoulder-pad suit from the '80s?

:discourse:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Origami Dali posted:

Something Wicked This Way Comes?

Killer Klowns from Outer Space sort of counts too

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
They had it locked in 37
https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/1690925496962252801

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyeLGnQZ-cE

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Origami Dali posted:

Hell Fest is alright as far as slasher movies played 100% straight go.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh wait I forgot the last act of Terrifier 2 takes place at an abandoned carnival and in the TERRIFER!!!!!!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Try 1932. That's exactly how they did Fredric March's Jekyll into Hyde transformation.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Darthemed posted:

What are some horror movie posters/box art you think are great, for whatever reason of appeal?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
It's not the focus of the movie, but Us uses that carnival house thing on the boardwalk to great effect.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Darthemed posted:

I dig a lot about this design.
Skeleton as a containment unit? Rad.
The extra-pulpy art look of the woman framed in an open coffin? Great.
The way the skeleton's lifting of its crimson robe makes it look like it has an amazing shoulder-pad suit from the '80s?

:discourse:

That’s a wonderful poster, never seen it before and now I am in love with that fancy skeleton magician.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Jedit posted:

Try 1932. That's exactly how they did Fredric March's Jekyll into Hyde transformation.

Its one of those effects that can only work in black and white but works so loving well its almost worth doing a movie in black and white now just to have the chance to use it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

flashy_mcflash posted:

Count me in for just being kinda 'eh' on Cobweb. It's mostly just twist upon twist with nothing really to say that I can discern, and isn't quite dumb enough to laugh at (though it's close). Caplan and Starr are real good though and it made me want to see them both together in a better movie.

This is pretty much exactly how I felt. The story was nothing special and nothing I hadn't seen before. I do appreciate that they did the fakeout of making you think it was a ghost in the beginning, likely the little girl that disappeared that was mentioned.

I also appreciate that they were trying to do the twist of "The parents aren't actually evil, they're just protecting people from their monstrous child", except they failed at that by making the parents actually legitimately bad people. The ending would have hit a lot harder if after the reveal of feral girl you realized they were doing everything they could to protect their son.

It was okay, but glad I watched it at home while cleaning the living room.

Edit -

Also the ending was king "why the gently caress didn't you call the cops". They have the girl trapped, call the cops to get her and imprison/commit her. I'm trying to figure out what was expected to go down there, there's dead bodies everywhere, how is that going to be explained?

Instead they just let her monologue that he'll be looking over his shoulder the rest of his life because she's alive. Which I suppose could happen if she was imprisoned too, but I didn't get that impression

Medullah fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 14, 2023

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I never do, but my weird journey did result in me rewatching Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County on youtube (also watched the original version which id never seen), remains the stuff of childhood nightmares. Wish more found footage looked like a haunted home video, the contemporary cheap ones just look clean and ugly.
Speaking of, it all just makes me appreciate The Outwaters more and more the more I watch of the genre. It's so good! It's so rare for found footage in that it's visually striking, creative, and surreal in its horror...generally cheap found footage just looks like, I don't know, a history channel reality show where a guy shows up in an alien suit or you see a really bad cgi thing. It all just looks bad (and not in a good raw way) and lacks creativity. Makes sense but it's a shame.
It did lead me to watching the rest of Matt Johnson's stuff, not what id call found footage horror but it's fun. Liked The Dirties and Operation Avalanche was solid.
Watching Renny Harlin's Dylatov Pass (i told you this adventure through found footage has been getting sad) was amazing, it's terrible but it's really incredible in how bad the cheap found footage cgi monsters are. They're like, a PS2 version of Shadows of Mordor? Like glitching Gollum-headed orc things? It's hilarious.

One of my criteria for enjoying found footage is getting away with stuff mainstream films never could, and for the Outwaters it's that over half the film is like playing a Kenji Eno game, the visuals are restricted almost entirely a to what's lit by a baseball sized flashlight. It's pretty much the only opportunity you ever get to watch experimental film with a bunch of people who would ordinarily never, ever watch such films under any circumstance.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Darthemed posted:

I'll try not to hog the posts.

There's a few reasons I like this one. Corbin art to start, also this was one of the few poster/coverboxes that promised what the film delivered.

Considering the studio had no idea how to market this one so they flung ideas at the wall to see what stuck, I liked the rock version more than the horror or generic ones. It has that vibrancy that was so 70s that I kinda miss in poster art.

The art style takes me back to the 80s coverboxes and the old Leisure/Zebra publishing horror paperbacks.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Flying Zamboni posted:

Dead & Buried is great for this as is Messiah of Evil.

Those are excellent yea

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

The art style takes me back to the 80s coverboxes and the old Leisure/Zebra publishing horror paperbacks.

It's literally the hand from the poster for House (the good one with William Katt).

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I love this Scream of Fear poster, I actually have an original framed in my den/TV room

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

I love this Scream of Fear poster, I actually have an original framed in my den/TV room

that's an underrated movie too, I love the Hammer-does-Hitchcock style thrillers like that and Paranoiac

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
And The Snorkel, which has some fantastic performances.

Such a shame that the studio wouldn't let them use the originally-intended ending.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I forget who posted M. Linehan's art here but I bought a couple of his prints and they look great!

E: please excuse my filthy rug

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Haha those are very cool

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Darthemed posted:

And The Snorkel, which has some fantastic performances.

Such a shame that the studio wouldn't let them use the originally-intended ending.

Strangled to death underwater. If you're the coroner, I guess that's what you put

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Love this one for It Follows. The retro style is appropriate for the movie, and it's an evocative way to capture the shifting/intangible monster and the sense of paranoia it brings.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I really enjoyed Cobweb, it's hard not to like Antony Starr and Lizzy Caplan as psycho parents, but I feel like it went on too long, even though it's under the 90 minute mark.

I appreciate a good "you fool, I was holding them back" type of story, but it really should've ended once Peter realized his sister was a monster kept locked away for good reason. The extended scene of her taking out the very persistent bullies felt overlong, I feel the contortionist with long hair has reeeaaally been overdone for horror movies, the reveal that she had a jack-o-lantern face made me laugh, and the whole thing with Miss Devine coming back to save him felt very much like this movie tried for a more mean-spirited Roald Dahl.

Speaking of which, it made me laugh pretty hard that the old teacher was called Miss Bitler, and she was being replaced by Miss Devine (boioioing).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Let’s talk about horror movie music.
It's kinda surprising how little gothic rock is actually featured in horror movies. The real standouts are Return of the Living Dead (prominently featuring 45 Grave, plus other goodies on the soundtrack) and Bauhaus popping up in The Hunger. Doomsday's use of Siouxsie's "Spellbound" is another memorable one.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

Last page, but the third act of Child's Play 3 takes place at a fair, and it's probably the series' best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

It's kinda surprising how little gothic rock is actually featured in horror movies. The real standouts are Return of the Living Dead (prominently featuring 45 Grave, plus other goodies on the soundtrack) and Bauhaus popping up in The Hunger. Doomsday's use of Siouxsie's "Spellbound" is another memorable one.

Another iconic use of Bauhaus in Night of the Demons

https://youtu.be/Qjua87z9OW0 (prolly NSFW)