Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sounds legally defensible, yeah. What’s the GVWR vs Curb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hadlock posted:

If I rent a mini van or SUV that has 1600 lbs cargo capacity to haul 1400 lbs auto parts + me (just shy of 200 lbs) that's fine for a couple (6) hours on the highway right

For what it's worth, I hauled (conservatively) 1300-lbs of humans and at least 250-lbs of luggage in a '12 Ford Freestar from south Jersey to Savannah, Georgia, hooned around for a week, and came back. She wallowed a bit, but was fine.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hadlock posted:

If I rent a mini van or SUV that has 1600 lbs cargo capacity to haul 1400 lbs auto parts + me (just shy of 200 lbs) that's fine for a couple (6) hours on the highway right

It's a rental, don't worry about it.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

DildenAnders posted:

The unplesantness of that may be stronger than the desire for a cheap IS300. Thank you and dear god I'm sorry.

I had shield bugs in my car (either from a seat or in the engine bay sound dampener) and half an hour with an ozone generator killed them all.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Update to my trolling motor saga.

If any of you were questioning whether or not I'm a dumb poo poo, I am about to remove all doubt.

Turns out that I do not in fact have a charger that runs when the main engine is running. Only when plugged in to wall power. I welcome the ridicule, and deserve it.

What I need is an "onboard alternator" or some poo poo like that. Aside from not knowing what the gently caress this thing was supposed to do, I think what fooled me most was when the battery was dead, and I had the main engine running and saw the voltage going up on the (trolling motor) batteries , I believe that a small amount of voltage was going from the main battery through the wires to the charger and then it was kinda sorta being back fed to the trolling motor batteries. I have yet to confirm that this was actually the case, but it should be easy enough if I pull the fuses on the wires comibg from the charger.

I guess(?)it was like one of those things where a wire can acquire some voltage from an adjacent wire when they're in close contact. It's not intended to do so, but it just kinda does

So now I have to figure out how to charge these fuckin things without having to take them out of the boat, but I think I have an idea what big alternator doesn't want me to know. If I get a power inverter and hook it up to the main battery (which *does* have an alternator) and then just plug the AC outlet in to that poo poo.
Then I think if I just unhook the wires going to the main battery it will avoid problems of charging the main battery "twice".

Anyway, bring on the ridicule.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have a 50A main breaker right out on top of the engine of the Econoline because the battery is in a box under the seat - which is bolted down (god only knows what happens in a bad accident; EMTs will not be able to see / find the battery cables to cut them).

It provides a very convenient charging lug. I spent a day trying to charge it by attaching the (+) clamp to the, uh, starter solenoid side after popping the breaker. Which air-gapped it from the battery. :doh:

I'm about to go through this with the '82 Simplicity lawn tractor which quits after a couple minutes, likely because the year-old battery is flat. I thought it charged off of the magneto while it was running...

so

:cb:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This is what the fuel pump sounds like in my Saab 900, I can hear it inside the cabin when idling. I don't think its meant to be this loud? Time for a new one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr6LtY87zSc

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I moved to a place that doesn't have a garage or covered parking, and my black car went to being an oven when I step inside it.

I was thinking of getting it painted white or a reflective metallic color (maybe light green) and putting on window tint or reflective window tint. Does this make a big difference? Are there any special brands of paint that reflect the most sunlight, or should I just paint it white and call it good?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I moved to a place that doesn't have a garage or covered parking, and my black car went to being an oven when I step inside it.

I was thinking of getting it painted white or a reflective metallic color (maybe light green) and putting on window tint or reflective window tint. Does this make a big difference? Are there any special brands of paint that reflect the most sunlight, or should I just paint it white and call it good?

are you gonna paint it or wrap it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It’s probably not gonna make a huge difference. Better to tint and put a sunshade in the window

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Painting and wrapping are gonna cost thousands. Personally, I wouldn’t bother.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It’s probably not gonna make a huge difference. Better to tint and put a sunshade in the window

As a resident of THE hell state of the USA, tinting and a window shade (fully put into the window not just draped over the dashboard what the hell is that even) does an incredible amount of heavy lifting so yeah, tint of the keep solar out variety and a sunshade. Much cheaper too, especially if you just try the sunshade first.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KakerMix posted:

As a resident of THE hell state of the USA, tinting and a window shade (fully put into the window not just draped over the dashboard what the hell is that even) does an incredible amount of heavy lifting so yeah, tint of the keep solar out variety and a sunshade. Much cheaper too, especially if you just try the sunshade first.

If your car sits for a long time popping a shade in the rear window can help a lot too. Not super hard to sew some suction cups onto the corners to help it stay up if necessary

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I wish power window shades was more common. We drive with them up on our rear windshield and rear passenger windows 99.9% of the time except on the rare occasion when it's unusually foggy or overcast and early morning/evening when you actually want that extra visibility. With daytime running lights being so common you don't need a lot of light transmission from the back of the car

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

It's a 10 year old hatchback prius, so I guess throwing a couple of grand at it to paint it is probably not worth it, but it sounds like windshield/side window tint might be worth it. Any particular kind? I've literally never modified a car before because I don't like throwing my money in a hole.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
You crack all the windows a bit, right?

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

You crack all the windows a bit, right?

Some days I forget, but sure.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

It's a 10 year old hatchback prius, so I guess throwing a couple of grand at it to paint it is probably not worth it, but it sounds like windshield/side window tint might be worth it. Any particular kind? I've literally never modified a car before because I don't like throwing my money in a hole.

you should definitely wrap it, such that it says PARTY PRIUS in giant letters down the side and maybe features a sassy looking manga girl who is the mascot/spiritual avatar of your car

Edit: those little ventilation fan thingees that go into a cracked window really help drop the temps like 20 degrees

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Usually there are two types of markets that, at least here in Florida, shops go towards. One is dark or visual tint, and the other is solar types. Both will darken the windows but some people want the dark style over the practical keep-solar-energy-out that doesn't have to be visually dark.

Practically speaking a sun shade you buy at Walmart or whatever for 10 bucks that you put up when you park your car might make enough difference before you go modifying your car in any way. I can not overstate how dramatic the temperature will be in your car sitting in full sun with a bit of fabric/cardboard/plastic in the windshield. I'd really just try that first and see how you get on. Can't beat the price performance ratio!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
In Vegas, the move is tinting and the sun shade. Black or white doesn't matter nearly as much.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Some days I forget, but sure.

you could consider window deflectors along with the cracking. this will prevent rain from getting it & make it less obvious your window is cracked along.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, sun shade is the easiest and cheapest starting point. The good race shop around here runs 400-450 to 3M ceramic tint a sedan, so that's a good step up, but still way cheaper than painting or wrapping in a different color.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

+1 for shade first then tint it. Check to see if there's an OEM shade. It'll fit very tight to the shape of the windshield but weigh that vs the increased price.

For the tint my only thought is that tint people seem to recommend the darkest of the dark. It really impacts your visibility at night, especially when trying to back up.

Legal tint shouldn't be an issue. Beyond that try to check out what it looks like from the inside at night before committing.

Also note that window tint (illegal, or any tint) opens up another excuse to get pulled over. On a Prius I doubt it'll come up but if you do get pulled over turning on the dome light and rolling down the windows will help make cops less twitchy. They want to be able to see inside the car as they approach.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
This thing is driving me nuts. Every time I mess with it, it’ll run smooth and strong for 5-10 minutes. Then it goes to idle surging, then stumbling, then dies. Then it won’t restart.
So far replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, TPS, and fuel pump relay. No change.
It has a pressure gauge port on the fuel rail. It starts strong then drops off. It’s EFI. It seems to ‘fix itself’ after sitting a bit.
I feel like it’s some command that changes after reaching closed loop causing it to lean out excessively. But I have no real data to support this

Video of the surging:
https://imgur.com/a/Bc0IpFX

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Window tint can make a massive difference plus a shade.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Here's an assuredly dumb question: How does one go about trying out older cars? If I'm semi-seriously looking into older enthusiast cars (C6, E46/e90, 996/987, etc.), is there a straightforward way of actually trying them out that doesn't involve lying to private sellers about my motives for meeting up for test drives? Turo seems like it'd be a good solution, but I've never been able to find anything older than about 10 years within a few hours of my area.

The process is obviously a lot easier for new cars or common older cars, where I could just go to a dealership and schedule a test drive, but I'd imagine any dealership selling older enthusiast cars (especially ones that don't normally deal in those cars and just have one they took in on trade) would be particularly leary about "joyriders" just like a lot of private sellers seem to be. Or maybe this just varies a lot by geographic location?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You're overthinking it a bit, or possibly in some really remote area. Checking the Phoenix area there are an assload of C6s and E90s in the used lot at regular main-line new car dealerships and those places are extremely unlikely to give much pushback on a test drive. E46s and 996/987s do appear to be a bit more limited in scope but they're still showing up at used dealers that deal in higher-end used cars, and in my limited experience with those, they also hand out test drives quite readily.

Now if you're going for something particularly unique like a C6 ZR1 or an E46 M3 with super-low miles, then I could see dealers being stingier with a test drive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mr.belowaverage posted:

This thing is driving me nuts. Every time I mess with it, it’ll run smooth and strong for 5-10 minutes. Then it goes to idle surging, then stumbling, then dies. Then it won’t restart.
So far replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, TPS, and fuel pump relay. No change.
It has a pressure gauge port on the fuel rail. It starts strong then drops off. It’s EFI. It seems to ‘fix itself’ after sitting a bit.
I feel like it’s some command that changes after reaching closed loop causing it to lean out excessively. But I have no real data to support this

Video of the surging:
https://imgur.com/a/Bc0IpFX

Just as something to look into, that does sound like the behaviour of a stick idle air control valve.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Powershift posted:

Just as something to look into, that does sound like the behaviour of a stick idle air control valve.

Genuine question: If it’s stuck, wouldn’t it act up from first start up? How does it affect it only after 5-10 minutes idling?

Edit: a little research indicates if it’s stuck, it may not move when commanded. So maybe it’s stuck where it needs to be for cold idle, but not hot. I’ll check it out!

mr.belowaverage fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 15, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m sure someone here can identify this car at a local abandoned house.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

Jaaaaaaag

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Jag xjs(?) coupe

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Side marker light in the bumper means it's a 92 or so.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

smackfu posted:

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Jag xjs(?) coupe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XJS?wprov=sfla1

Yep.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Most importantly, some fraction of those came in a V12 variant, which would be pretty cool. It's a ~1970s design they carried forward into the 90s for some reason so drives ok but not amazing

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
So my 2023 Honda Accord 1.5T EX BD just started telling me that there is a system update available and that I should check the owner's manual for details. Checked the owner's manual and there is nothing in there about system updates. Later on, I Googled the issue and found out that I need the HondaLink app on my phone to push the update to the car. First of all, I'm not how this makes sense given that the car recognizes that there is an update available so why would I need an app on phone if the car knows there is an update. It knowing there is an update tells me it is connected to the internet which common sense would dictate that the car should then be able to download the update itself. The only problem is that Honda took the ability to update out of the infotainment system to apparently push their stupid app on people. That is aggravating enough, but it gets worse. I have tried two days in a row to get the app to push the update to the car (because, apparently once it fails the car will refuse to acknowledge there is an update available again for an entire day) and it has failed both times. I'm kind a hoping someone here knows what the hell is going on with my car. Specifically, there error says "Failed to request update to vehicle. Please wait for available update and ensure the vehicle ignition is off while update is in progress." And, before you ask, yes the car is turned off when I try to update.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hadlock posted:

Most importantly, some fraction of those came in a V12 variant, which would be pretty cool. It's a ~1970s design they carried forward into the 90s for some reason so drives ok but not amazing

They still have the 1970s reliability too.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

They still have the 1970s reliability too.

They didn't have 70s reliability in the 70s, either.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anybody know what the name / purpose of this can attached to the side of the air box is?

It’s on a 73-79 Ford 460, and it’s sealed, but looks kinda like an oil filter. I’ve never had a really great answer when folks ask what it is, but maybe you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's a resonator to reduce certain annoying sound frequencies.

modern engines do it with chambers moulded into the intake.