Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yiggy posted:

My idiot's, non-lawyerly read is that the Florida case seems the most straight forward on the facts and the charge but the judge is dubious and so trust in outcome is low. Its contraband, it should be simple. And yet.

The DC case seems the most serious, with lots of evidence but it feels like there is more wiggle room on intent and that a jury is more spinnable in ways you'd hope against but know deep in your heart that people would disappoint. Also its a federal case. Both those federal cases feel vulnerable to the whole Trump winning the election thing. People quoting low probability to me is cold comfort, I gotta admit, but maybe thats the PTSD talking.

The Georgia case feels more serious in that they have audio recordings, and its less vulnerable to pardon because they're state charges. But I worry about the state legislature trying to gently caress with the DA somehow.

If I'm spreading out my hopes, I feel like the DC case might be the one with teeth but if Fani Willis avoids any sort of state legislature fuckery, her case might be the real one.

Pres can’t pardon state crimes but governors can and if you think Kemp is above such things heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

Oracle posted:

Pres can’t pardon state crimes but governors can and if you think Kemp is above such things heh.

In GA the governor doesnt have that power.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Yiggy posted:

My idiot's, non-lawyerly read is that the Florida case seems the most straight forward on the facts and the charge but the judge is dubious and so trust in outcome is low. Its contraband, it should be simple. And yet.

The DC case seems the most serious, with lots of evidence but it feels like there is more wiggle room on intent and that a jury is more spinnable in ways you'd hope against but know deep in your heart that people would disappoint. Also its a federal case. Both those federal cases feel vulnerable to the whole Trump winning the election thing. People quoting low probability to me is cold comfort, I gotta admit, but maybe thats the PTSD talking.

The Georgia case feels more serious in that they have audio recordings, and its less vulnerable to pardon because they're state charges. But I worry about the state legislature trying to gently caress with the DA somehow.

If I'm spreading out my hopes, I feel like the DC case might be the one with teeth but if Fani Willis avoids any sort of state legislature fuckery, her case might be the real one.

It's good, you want to diversify your indictment portfolio to manage the risk of exoneration

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

gregday posted:

In GA the governor doesnt have that power.

Well that's fascinating.

quote:

In Georgia, the power to pardon is vested under the state constitution to a Board of Pardons and Paroles, which requires that a sentence be completed at least five years prior to applying for a pardon.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Oracle posted:

Well that's fascinating.

And it's the state with weird extra-RICO.

Georgia was kind of the wrong state to do this in and Trump, perhaps, should've done fewer crimes.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i think if the georgia legislature or governor had any plans to interfere, they would've done it by now, as there's no going back and any possible action against willis looks 1000000x worse than it would've a month or a year ago (and it's not like they haven't had the power to gently caress with her for that entire time)

the lieutenant governor is down there testifying against trump tomorrow. they're just actually mad at him!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/bluestein/status/1691150377909891083

maybe today then?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
E: oops, I thought this was the GBS thread, please disregard

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

eke out posted:

i think if the georgia legislature or governor had any plans to interfere, they would've done it by now, as there's no going back and any possible action against willis looks 1000000x worse than it would've a month or a year ago (and it's not like they haven't had the power to gently caress with her for that entire time)

the lieutenant governor is down there testifying against trump tomorrow. they're just actually mad at him!

Trump hosed over the state gop on two separate senate elections; favoring Loeffler over Collins, then pushing Walker on them.

They’re legit loving mad at him.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

Trump hosed over the state gop on two separate senate elections; favoring Loeffler over Collins, then pushing Walker on them.

yeah i know it's always tempting to try to figure out how the state party will help ol' donny wriggle out of this one, but georgia is the prime example of "these fuckers hate him because he has actively cost them power"

then of course he spent several years calling them democrats or whatever for not stealing the election for him

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eke out posted:

yeah i know it's always tempting to try to figure out how the state party will help ol' donny wriggle out of this one, but georgia is the prime example of "these fuckers hate him because he has actively cost them power"

then of course he spent several years calling them democrats or whatever for not stealing the election for him

yeah, i think if anything fucks him its georgia and or DC. the doccuments case while funny and probably strong, i feel like the judge will kid glove that one. plus florida.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

eke out posted:

After the past 7 years my brain is so broken that I cannot convince myself that this will affect their willingness to interfere for him, although in my heart I'm not expecting them to. I guess I wouldn't be surprised.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i think if anything fucks him its georgia and or DC. the doccuments case while funny and probably strong, i feel like the judge will kid glove that one. plus florida.

Enh I’d categorize the Florida case as an experiment on what happens when a very biased judge meets a pretty airtight case.

Can Cannon thread the needle? She needs to basically win the case for Trump but without doing anything to get the 11th Circuit to yoink it away from her. Which is probably something a competent and skulldugerous judge could do, but Cannon isn’t really either. Her schemes have been pretty blatant so far.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Enh I’d categorize the Florida case as an experiment on what happens when a very biased judge meets a pretty airtight case.

Can Cannon thread the needle? She needs to basically win the case for Trump but without doing anything to get the 11th Circuit to yoink it away from her. Which is probably something a competent and skulldugerous judge could do, but Cannon isn’t really either. Her schemes have been pretty blatant so far.

I think doing enough procedural things to delay resolution of the case until after the election will be a win for her and him.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Zwabu posted:

I think doing enough procedural things to delay resolution of the case until after the election will be a win for her and him.

only in a world without other cases just as likely to send him to jail

she's very nice to have when she's in charge of the only case you're worried about. it's a bit of a different story when her delays just signal other judges 'oh hey your calendar is still open for trial in 2024, nice'

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Except that’s not easy to do if you are 1) in a state that legally really wants trials to go ahead and 2) an utter incompetent.

And even then it’s contingent on winning the election. Even if it gets delayed to December 2024 (or whatever), he could be just as hosed. And there are still the other cases.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Georgia indictments coming this evening. Prepare your bodies.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it sucks because that's the worst one in terms of real-world effect

the coup attempt and the fake electors and the obstruction of justice and the incitement of J6, etc

nothing compared to those documents. none of us have any idea how much he flat-out sold, and they couldn't find it. charging a couple dozen documents out of scores of boxes.....

we might not ever know how bad a breach of national security that was. they may never tell us.

Caros
May 14, 2008

mdemone posted:

Georgia indictments coming this evening. Prepare your bodies.

For context, they didn't close at 5 as scheduled, and all the witnesses scheduled to appear are already there. Chances are they just want to bang out the last hour or two.

Also fun fact, to get bail in Georgia you have to prove there is no risk of witness intimidation or obstruction. Which
, given trump did a witness intimidation on twitter should be a hard sell.

In a sensible world, anyway.

Caros fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 14, 2023

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1691196949939032066

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Maybe they shouldn't have called Phillip I. Buster to the stand, then :rolleyes:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Caros posted:

For context, they didn't close at 5 as scheduled, and all the witnesses scheduled to appear are already there. Chances are they just want to bang out the last hour or two.

Also fun fact, to get bail in Georgia you have to prove there is no risk of witness intimidation or obstruction. Which
, given trump did a witness intimidation on twitter should be a hard sell.

In a sensible world, anyway.

Does Georgia hate defendants? They seem to have a lot of things not in defendants' favor. IANAL.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Turns out witness #5 is Mitch McConnell, and they keep asking him questions and he keeps just staring off into the distance

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

Does Georgia hate defendants? They seem to have a lot of things not in defendants' favor. IANAL.

Yes. A lot of their laws are set up to screw young black defendants. RICO is broad so they can use it against low-level drug dealers and gang foot soldiers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ynglaur posted:

They call it the new Jim Crow for a reason

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Cool that the strongest case gives ammo to the chuds by having a document leak on the court page early.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Zotix posted:

Cool that the strongest case gives ammo to the chuds by having a document leak on the court page early.

Yeah that is fairly cringe. Doubly so since I'm sure they will come up with some lie about how they already indicted him before the grand jury signed off, even though the leak was just a list of what they were after.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Caros posted:

Yeah that is fairly cringe. Doubly so since I'm sure they will come up with some lie about how they already indicted him before the grand jury signed off, even though the leak was just a list of what they were after.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The dumb thing is of course the DA would have a filing ready to go pending outcome of the grand jury. That just seems like good expedient use of the courts time, not some deep state nonsense.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It was probably a chud who leaked it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Like clockwork.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think the big deal with the Cannon case is gonna happen when headlines read, "Case enters 25th year! Register with the Theocratic AntiJMFTPAWS Party to get your free quarter century cupcakes in a non biodegradable cup!"

eke out posted:

her delays just signal other judges 'oh hey your calendar is still open for trial in 2024, nice'
Interesting point. She could schedule the case to start 1/1 then just keep it active but slow for two years? Doughnut break, lunch break, the jury saw a Troof and needs to be replaced! Oh I forgot to write down what happened yesterday, we have to do it all over again. :downs:

I hate reading history, but does anyway have a great/funny example of a very lengthy case?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Follow Justin gray for updates.

Buddy of mine, moved back to Atlanta after working in DC.

https://twitter.com/justingraywsb/status/1691220511756365825?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

FizFashizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/bluestein/status/1691219740847411201

“As Republicans we need to take our medicine and realize the election wasn’t rigged, Donald Trump was the worst candidate ever, in the history of our party … and now we are going to have to pivot from there.”

God drat.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

XboxPants posted:

“As Republicans we need to take our medicine and realize the election wasn’t rigged, Donald Trump was the worst candidate ever, in the history of our party … and now we are going to have to pivot from there.”

God drat.

Welp, I know what he's going to rage tweet about for the next month straight.

Caros
May 14, 2008

XboxPants posted:

God drat.

I hope the dude hired bodyguards. Goddamn.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So if Republicans are now saying Trump was a bad choice, I'm guessing that means they know he's as good as done and are trying to start their redemption arc now rather than later?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Ga Lt Gov - "Donald Trump was the worst candidate ever, in the history of our party, even worse than Herschel Walker."

That last part was important and should have been in the tweet.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
ron howard: they did not, in fact, pivot
gop: WE'RE DOUBLING DOWN! *pennies explode into the air*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.648653/gov.uscourts.flsd.648653.120.0_1.pdf

DOJ response to the defendant's request for special SCIF etc at MAL: No , they're confused.