Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I'm trying to understand - I'm reading it like Asuka is saying she doesn't keep tabs on Joshi wrestling outside of a few but is glad that she's played some kind of a part in helping Japanese women get booked and seen as legitimate in America, though when she started she was savaged by the media? Something like that? Or am I just missing a bunch of context.

I think she's saying the joshi establishment was against her when she started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
She didn't like the type of Joshi promotions that existed when she was first starting out (Mostly ran by nearly retired stars putting themselves over the roster) or the general style at the time (more gymnastics-based) so eventually wrote a worked-shoot article called the Manifesto which made a bunch of people in Japan really mad, but skyrocketed her fandom in America.

She made a lot of enemies trashing on the old Joshi promotions/promotors/style so the worked shoot got turned around on her and she ended up doing mostly freelance or partnering with Tajiri's two promotions (SMASH and later Wrestling New Classic) all the way up until she got signed because she rubbed too many people the wrong way.

for all anyone knows she could be trying to work an angle with Iyo or Kairi in the future but it's funny that this all started because someone made fun of her for eating pineapple pizza

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
We should all be so lucky as to have someone like Charlotte Flair as a comrade in arms

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Even if Nanae Takahashi hated asuka the idea that the founders of stardom put money and time into training wrestlers just to specifically destroy asuka is ridiculous. It's just an utterly crazy thing to believe

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i believe that

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i believe that

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
She's shootin again:

https://twitter.com/WWEAsuka/status/1691213613707800580

Dave is also saying this is not a work, and that he has an article covering the situation coming out on Thursday.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I believe Asuka because I just think she's neat

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Stand Up for Asuka

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Asuka’s telling the truth

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Very relatable. Stardom was created to defeat me as well.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Kennel posted:

I've walked alone in the wilderness all my life, and here I have an oasis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6SOYlunc88

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I like Asuka more than I like whoever else is involved in whatever is going on here so I support her.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

She probably has a legit beef with the media and Rossy but throwing the modern Joshi scene probably isn't going to make her many friends especially if WWE goes talent hunting again. And also it's not like her vision for Joshi wasn't without issues as well

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

SatoshiMiwa posted:

She probably has a legit beef with the media and Rossy but throwing the modern Joshi scene probably isn't going to make her many friends especially if WWE goes talent hunting again. And also it's not like her vision for Joshi wasn't without issues as well
somewhere in her two day long rant she mentioned she doesn't know many/hardly any people in the modern Joshi scene so her beef is probably exclusively with people who are still around from when she was a rookie (Like Rossi for example)

Her ties to Japan right now are just Konami (The only person she trained), Syuri (Former friend/stablemate) and Mina Shirakawa (Who became a wrestler because of Asuka I think?) and all 3 wrestling in Stardom right now

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I thought Mina became a wrestler because of Liger.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Stall_19 posted:

I thought Mina became a wrestler because of Liger.
cant remember the exact wording but Liger was the reason she became a fan and Asuka was the reason she became a wrestler but I haven't slept well in three days so I might just be remembering this from a random twitter or reddit comment

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I do wonder what in particular set her off. It's kind of feels out of the blue, She's not been around in an awfully long time, 8 years now.

Side note, I hadn't realised one of her last matches in Japan was in a tag match where ASUKA/Veny was on the other side. I'd assumed ASUKA was too young to have faced Asuka

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

I do wonder what in particular set her off. It's kind of feels out of the blue, She's not been around in an awfully long time, 8 years now.

Side note, I hadn't realised one of her last matches in Japan was in a tag match where ASUKA/Veny was on the other side. I'd assumed ASUKA was too young to have faced Asuka

The inciting incident at least on twitter was someone saying, "People won't like it if you put pineapple on pizza" when she posted a photo of her eating a pineapple pizza

edit: or "your only flaw is liking pineapple on pizza"
https://twitter.com/WWEAsuka/status/1690911817621782528

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 15, 2023

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

It's probably just the straw that broke the camels back kinda thing and she's just sick to death of people telling her to go back to Japan (in a you will be valued kinda way) when she loses

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fez_machine posted:

The inciting incident at least on twitter was someone saying, "People won't like it if you put pineapple on pizza" when she posted a photo of her eating a pineapple pizza

I hate incessant pizza talk as much as the next sane person but I really don't think that can be enough to start that sort of rant.

Also I just reread her post and "I was the only one who could put on a big show regularly" stands out. The only times the KanaMania shows broke 1,200 in Korakuen they had Marufuji & MiSu on them. 2015 Stardom had a bigger big show and the average is about the same.

But all this is more a reflection of how cold the entire joshi ecosystem was at the time.

TBH Nanae vs Kana as 2 grumpy vets beating the poo poo out of each other would be pretty cool. Shame it won't happen but glad Asuka is happy where she is.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Also Suzu vs Syuri from 5☆GP night 1 loving ruled. I miss deathmatch nutter Suzu but it's good seeing her in an important position.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I suspect her issues in Stardom would more likely have been with Nanae (who she seems to have genuinely hated - apparently her and Mio Shirai legit didn’t talk to Io for a bit after Io left Triple Tails to work Stardom) and possibly Fuka (who is the definition of the sort of wrestler Kana railed against in the manifesto) rather than Rossy. Perhaps they did cross paths at some point but the period between Rossy selling the remains of ARSION to Yumiko Hotta (where it became AtoZ which is where Kana started: perhaps there was some cross over there) and Stardom starting in 2011 is probably the period where Rossy is at is least important: was not booking anywhere and seems to have basically worked as staff on shows for people he knew (like Nanae) until Fuka came calling to do Stardom.

This all could be completely wrong but it feels like her issues where were with others: although she might still not like Stardom. I think it’s interesting that she never really mentions Konami (her only trainee); and from interviews Konami has basically said that she owes Syuri for where she ended up so perhaps that is intentional; I don’t know.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

forkboy84 posted:

Also Suzu vs Syuri from 5☆GP night 1 loving ruled. I miss deathmatch nutter Suzu but it's good seeing her in an important position.

All of Suzu's matches have been great so far. If you want to see a real heater, though, wait til you get to Natsupoi vs Syuri

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kana had a big problem with the rest of the joshi scene telling her things like "don't dress up like a Nazi" and "intentionally kicking people in the head hard enough to concuss them is bad"

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

https://twitter.com/Peps_Wrestling/status/1691428173085327361

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

We love to see it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

You have to give it to Bushiroad, Stardom is the only company in Japan bigger now than it was at the start of 2020.

Shame for all that they still couldn't pay KAIRI

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Natsupoi is so loving good

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Uh-oh.
https://twitter.com/mizupyon3/status/1691808231721431320

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

IceAgeComing posted:

I suspect her issues in Stardom would more likely have been with Nanae (who she seems to have genuinely hated - apparently her and Mio Shirai legit didn’t talk to Io for a bit after Io left Triple Tails to work Stardom) and possibly Fuka (who is the definition of the sort of wrestler Kana railed against in the manifesto) rather than Rossy. Perhaps they did cross paths at some point but the period between Rossy selling the remains of ARSION to Yumiko Hotta (where it became AtoZ which is where Kana started: perhaps there was some cross over there) and Stardom starting in 2011 is probably the period where Rossy is at is least important: was not booking anywhere and seems to have basically worked as staff on shows for people he knew (like Nanae) until Fuka came calling to do Stardom.

This all could be completely wrong but it feels like her issues where were with others: although she might still not like Stardom. I think it’s interesting that she never really mentions Konami (her only trainee); and from interviews Konami has basically said that she owes Syuri for where she ended up so perhaps that is intentional; I don’t know.
Konami doesn't seem to like Asuka at all. There have been a few instances where Konami has openly taken shots at her, claiming that Asuka abandoned her in Japan.

In the case of Mio, she is pretty much estranged from a lot of the joshi scene now because she fell down the far right rabbit hole.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I thought Mio was still with Ice Ribbon and OZ?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Numero6 posted:

I thought Mio was still with Ice Ribbon and OZ?

Yeah, she's still a ref for Ice Ribbon the last I checked. Can't comment on Oz but would assume so.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

So far behind on the 5 star. Had to say natsupoi v syuri was excellent and natsupoi is having a great tournament

Bye poi

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

So far behind on the 5 star. Had to say natsupoi v syuri was excellent and natsupoi is having a great tournament

Bye poi

I'm miraculously all caught up and hoping the Korakuen show from the 15th is posted tomorrow since I'm having post-G1 wrestling withdrawal.

Natsupoi is probably my MVP so far too but Suzu is right up there. And Syuri. And Saori. And Mayu. It's been a great tournament is what I'm saying.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Bye poi

I've still only watched the 1st 2 shows, and half the G1. It's too drat much

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, she's still a ref for Ice Ribbon the last I checked. Can't comment on Oz but would assume so.

Believe she's doing bits and pieces for them - not on every show but that may well be because she's got several young children now, rather than just the one. She still is involved in management in Ice Ribbon - played a role in the reality show they're doing about the new rookies they have as the trainer figure. There's certainly no evidence of her being 'estranged' from any of the places that she was working post-retirement: basically was just Ice Ribbon and OZ Academy. Outside of the liking Putin thing her views aren't even that out there for Japan: and I suspect there are probably lots of other people within Japanese wrestling with similar views (Shingo apparently used to share very boomer-style conservative/nationalist facebook memes as an example).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

Believe she's doing bits and pieces for them - not on every show but that may well be because she's got several young children now, rather than just the one. She still is involved in management in Ice Ribbon - played a role in the reality show they're doing about the new rookies they have as the trainer figure. There's certainly no evidence of her being 'estranged' from any of the places that she was working post-retirement: basically was just Ice Ribbon and OZ Academy. Outside of the liking Putin thing her views aren't even that out there for Japan: and I suspect there are probably lots of other people within Japanese wrestling with similar views (Shingo apparently used to share very boomer-style conservative/nationalist facebook memes as an example).

Yeah, it's one of those things where I'm very glad I don't speak the language because I'd probably just get depressed by most people's views, just like with western wrestlers. Shingo's free time seems to be spent eating beef, training in gyms and going to various shrines around Japan, of course he's going to be a Japanese nationalist with all the baggage associated.

At least we've got Dick Togo, member of the JCP.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am excited to watch mizuki fight a ghost tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Inspiration time. Let's get weird with it.