Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Zotix posted:

Thinking of going mines this league. Haven't tried it in probably 3-4 years. I see a lot of people put detonate on left click which seems like it would make the play style somewhat like traps. Thinking pyroclast into hexblast. Also considering going explosive trap. Anyone played any of these recently and has any input?

Saw a guy post his Deadeye fireball miner on PoE builds that looked really promising. Said he’s league started it every league since Ritual. I’m gonna crib some ideas from it for my self cast plan and probably end up wishing I just went mines instead. I’ll dig up the link if you’re interested.

E: https://www.reddit.com/r/PathOfExil...nt=2&utm_term=1

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Hmm promise's +35 chaos resist effect doesn't seem to be working no matter what slot I put it in. Also 40div was all the money I had. I'm sure I can make more but I don't have any div to roll it atm

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Saw a guy post his Deadeye fireball miner on PoE builds that looked really promising. Said he’s league started it every league since Ritual. I’m gonna crib some ideas from it for my self cast plan and probably end up wishing I just went mines instead. I’ll dig up the link if you’re interested.

Well I was gonna do RF but this looks way more fun

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s a unique flask isn’t it

Atziris promise

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Frank Frank posted:

…now what? The guy who sold me the final card gave me a bunch of flasks to use with it I guess? Which slots are utility slots? All but the furthest to the left? Guess I should ditch my bottles faith and go back to Atziri’s promise? I’m gonna take a pretty sizable resist hit ditching my belt but I guess I can mitigate that with a resist flask?

Anything that's not a Life/Mana/Hybrid flask is a Utility flask.

GG strategy is to hit your flasks with the Enkindling Orb mod "Gains no Charges during Effect, (60-70)% increased effect" because you no longer care about getting charges for your flasks, so the downside is completely negated. Pairing that enchant with a Bismuth solves a lot of resistance problems.

Frank Frank posted:

Hmm promise's +35 chaos resist effect doesn't seem to be working no matter what slot I put it in. Also 40div was all the money I had. I'm sure I can make more but I don't have any div to roll it atm

As ^^^ pointed out, Atziri's Promise is a unique flask, Mageblood only works with magic flasks.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Frank Frank posted:

Ok this is gonna sound dumb but

…now what? The guy who sold me the final card gave me a bunch of flasks to use with it I guess? Which slots are utility slots? All but the furthest to the left? Guess I should ditch my bottles faith and go back to Atziri’s promise? I’m gonna take a pretty sizable resist hit ditching my belt but I guess I can mitigate that with a resist flask?

That mod just means that if you had 5 magic utility flasks equipped, then the mageblood would only work on the leftmost 3 of them. A utility flask means "not a health/mana/hybrid" flask, aka quicksilver, topaz, ruby, granite, etc. Mageblood does not work on unique flasks at all regardless of their type. Going by your screenshot, you've got 3 utility flasks, a life flask, and bottled faith. So regardless of how you order those flasks, mageblood will work with the 3 utility flasks. Note that the flask mod has a range from 2 to 4 on mageblood and can be divined to 4.

However your existing flasks are not going to be rolled correctly to go with mageblood. When you get a mageblood, you're gonna want to get new utility flasks. Specifically, you want to use enkindling orbs on them until you get "70% increased effect" as the enchantment. They're always on because of mageblood, so you don't care that they don't gain charges during the effect. Then you want the prefix to be any tier of the "increased effect but reduced duration" mod. So now you have always-on flasks with massively increased effect. The suffixes on your flask also benefit from these increased effect mods. What you put there will depend on your build and what you need. Could be armor, evasion, all resists, life regen, reduced mana cost of skills, etc. Mageblood is super flexible in terms of what benefits it can give your character. Big movespeed, big armor/evasion/resists, big reductions to elemental damage taken if you run ruby/topaz/sapphire flasks, and so on.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Frank Frank posted:

Ok this is gonna sound dumb but

You start saving up for mirror-tier gear, whatever that looks like on console.

Also don't forget to slap the "70% increased effect, no recharge when active" enchant on all relevant flasks.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

Well I was gonna do RF but this looks way more fun

Edited my post with the link. Fwiw it’s a Deadeye build so it’ll be squishy til you get to higher investment levels but should clear maps like a dream

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Coooool!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Hell yeah! Scrolls!

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

Zotix posted:

Thinking of going mines this league. Haven't tried it in probably 3-4 years. I see a lot of people put detonate on left click which seems like it would make the play style somewhat like traps. Thinking pyroclast into hexblast. Also considering going explosive trap. Anyone played any of these recently and has any input?

I played hexblast mines in sanctum league and it was amazing. Made more currency than I ever did before just running sanctum and then even got my first 2 uber eater kills with it. Would have got uber maven as well if I wasn't so bad at the final phase.
+2 wand and amulet craft are really easy to do as well, well the amulet took a few thousand alteration orbs to get +1 to all spells but then after that it was easy.

I just last weekend levelled with pyroclast mines and it was pretty smooth sailing through the campaign and into t16 maps. Swapped over to hexblast mines after that and even without sandstorm visage and being crit capped it still does plenty of damage.
The only real issue I had was mana sustain/reserve but that's on me as I went straight for a +1 chaos amulet instead of impressence with flammability as an aura reserves no mana which makes it way better until you are high enough level and geared you no longer need it

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Thought I had a good handle on what the game was about after playing until level 40ish, but after reading the last page and a half and not understanding any of those words....

Can't wait for Friday

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

You’ve made a huge mistake equipping a MB this close to the next league start. You’re not gonna know how to live without it lol

In the interest of enjoying the highlights of PoE itemization, I’d recommend selling the MB after you play with it a bit to buy a Headhunter to see how that feels also. Two incredibly fun items that are perpetually locked behind a huge paywall (for good reason ofc)

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

LifeLynx posted:

Thought I had a good handle on what the game was about after playing until level 40ish, but after reading the last page and a half and not understanding any of those words....

Can't wait for Friday

1) Upcoming league chat re: builds
2) I got an incredibly silly item that I have no idea how to use and people are telling me what to do to make use of it.

Are there Mageblood MTXs? I feel like I should get one to commemorate the occasion but I can't find them in the store anymore. Could have sworn I saw a couple.

E: Haha holy poo poo I just ran a map or two with this thing. This is absurd. The resist flask that guy gave me also has perma-onslaught on it so that's something. No idea if that actually affects me since I'm not dealing melee damage.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 14, 2023

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

Can't wait for Friday

For most of the folks in this thread, the game doesn’t even start until 70 or so once you hit maps. Several builds don’t even really come online until near there.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

Are there Mageblood MTXs? I feel like I should get one to commemorate the occasion but I can't find them in the store anymore. Could have sworn I saw a couple.

You might have seen the one from the Sentinel league Kirac's Vault Pass.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The one I saw was "intravenous" but I don't remember where I saw it. I thought it was in the shop. Not important anyway.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LifeLynx posted:

Can't wait for Friday

Oh you sweet summer child. You haven't completed the tutorial yet. Get ready for the real dopamine hits in maps.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Frank Frank posted:

The one I saw was "intravenous" but I don't remember where I saw it. I thought it was in the shop. Not important anyway.

yes, from that linked pass

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Oh my god I can just grant myself permanent huge damage resists to certain damage types plus immunity to status effects at-will by just swapping flasks around.

Magus42 posted:

yes, from that linked pass

I wasn't around for Sentinel League though.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Frank Frank posted:

Oh my god I can just grant myself permanent huge damage resists to certain damage types plus immunity to status effects at-will by just swapping flasks around.

Small text to would be Frank Frank's: past performance does not indicate future results

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Okay, serious video just was posted about top 100 tips from beginning to advanced. I watched it all the way though and there are things in there that I learned by have seen people ask in this thread all the time.

https://youtu.be/COh0g7C_zs0

Especially now when people are flocking from whatever that game D4 became.

The tips mentioned

quote:

1) Follow a Build Guide
2) Start on Softcore League
3) Left-Click to Move-Only
4) Important Game Settings
5) Ignore Tooltip DPS
6) Get More Scrolls of Wisdom
7) Stacking Attributes Is Not That Good
8) Colour Affinity on Items
9) Weapon damage
10) Using Crafting Bench Early
11) Weapon Swapping for Gem Experience
12) Balancing Your Defenses/Offenses
13) Capping Resistances
14) Essences Are OP Early
15) Important Quests
16) Vendors Restock
17) Check Your Accuracy
18) Which Labyrinth Trials Are Left?
19) Quality & Rarity on Items
20) Get Lilly in Your Hideout
21) Attack Without Moving
22) Resetting a Zone
23) Max Number of Sockets (note:and how crafting can ignore it)
24) Quality Affects Links/Sockets
25) Rares Are Better Than Uniques (Mostly) 26) Dump Quest Items
27) Increased/More Difference
28) Hide Gem Level Up
29) Linking Items in Chat
30) Entering Rogue Harbour
31) Minimap Positioning
32) How to Start Trading?
33) Stash Tabs Sale
34) Vendor Recipe
35) Don't Get Banned (make sure to post Eyes of Zeal)
36) Utility Flasks Don't Stack
37) Fast-Clicking Vendors
38) Sockets on Corrupted Items
39) Sockets For Colourblind
40) Lockstep vs Predictive
41) Avoid Reflect in your maps
42) Changing Ascendancy
43) Alternative to Chaos Orb
44) Use Orbs of Binding
45) Kirac Missions = Free Maps
46) Second Ability Bar
47) Mass Favourite Maps
48) Where To Get A Loot Filter?
49) Gem Recipe (20 Quality)
50) Gem Recipe (Delevel)
51) Do You Have All Passive Points?
52) Don't Hoard Your Currency
53) Bulk Search on Trade
54) Undo/Change Your Bandits (Recipe)
55) Stash Tab Affinities
56) Path of Building
57) Check Divination Cards Before Buying
58) If You Get Spammed For Item, Reprice
59) Which Oils Do I Need?
60) Anoint Only Notables
61) Automating Flasks
62) Crafting Flasks With Bestiary
63) How to Sell Your Beasts?
64) Left Click Abilities
65) Be Less Specific While Searching
66) Block People from Entering Your Map
67) "Free" Quantity for Your Maps
68) Spam Your Orbs of Fusing, You're Good
69) Alternative 6-Link Sources
70) Affinity for Other Stashes
71) Resist Swap With Harvest
72) Bulk Selling Items
73) Did You Compete the Map?
74) Get a 5-Slot Map Device
75) Heist Trinkets for Incubators
76) Heist Trinkets for Mapping
77) Horizon Orb Tech
78) You're Secretly a Zookeeper
79) 3rd-Party Tools
80) Trading Etiquette Basics
81) Cheap Mystery Box
82) "Free" Aura
83) Panteon Bosses Location
84) Splitting Big Stacks
85) Where Is My Map on The Atlas?
86) Searching for Elder/Conqueror Maps
87) Searching for Veiled Items
88) Blocking Modifiers for Unveil (this vid showed me how and I never really got)
89) Removing Shrine Buffs (mainly how to not echo)
90) Importing Items to PoB
91) Approximate Search
92) Life Flask Boss Tech
93) Regex Tools
94) Colouring with Jewellers
95) Searching by "Recently Listed"
96) Divining Resistances with Harvest
97) Regrading Lenses Can Save You Currency
98) Buying Sets Easier
99) Tujen Haggle QoL
100) Beastcrafting Respects Levels
101) Poe.Ninja for Build Ideas
102) Fix Loot Displacement
103) Timeless Jewel Tool
Bolded is things new players won't immediately get and underlined are either very important and/or I learned something

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 14, 2023

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I have not had a chance to watch it, but Balor Mage has his updated 3.22 SRS video out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASf98VLyXTo

His poison SRS was super strong in sanctum league, and I had a blast playing it.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

35) Don't Get Banned (make sure to post Eyes of Zeal)

You forgot to include un-ID'd Facebreakers, but Eyes of Zeal is super important to link in guild chat.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Saw this sign during my lunch break...

Hmmmmmmm

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I'm still pretty new to PoE and I wanted to run this boneshatter build that was linked in the thread a few weeks ago. Build video was put together during Crucible, but I assume it's still viable for new league coming up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_f66PPqkyA

anything I should know about trying this? My last character was a witch and I had fun with it for a bit but it felt like too fragile of a glass canon and I'd rather go for tanky style for new league.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I don't think newbs should ignore tooltip dps, during the campaign it's a fine way to quickly check if a something is an upgrade or not

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

HKR posted:

I'm still pretty new to PoE and I wanted to run this boneshatter build that was linked in the thread a few weeks ago. Build video was put together during Crucible, but I assume it's still viable for new league coming up?

Nothing in the patch notes affected Boneshatter, feel free to enter the Bone Zone in Ancestors.

Papercut posted:

I don't think newbs should ignore tooltip dps, during the campaign it's a fine way to quickly check if a something is an upgrade or not

It can still be quite the trap. Like if I'm using Molten Strike and slot in Ancestral Call, my tooltip DPS will go down because AC has a damage penalty but my effective DPS should go up since I'm spawning a lot more projectiles to hit monsters with, which is is where the bulk of the damage of the skill comes from.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Papercut posted:

I would agree mostly but it's a good thing to know that there is a chance dps will just outright lie especially with DoTs.

External Organs posted:

Saw this sign during my lunch break...

Hmmmmmmm
I did not get it. Wander-lust?

I more like the fact it looks like you are sneaking the camera around a corner so no one sees a spec of you.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 14, 2023

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
As a mageblood enjoyer (aka noob who can't play without a crutch), there's a few ways to really leverage mageblood.

There's two things you want to consider: base type and suffix.

Of the utility flasks, there are typically a few you would consider using:

Jade/granite
Amethyst if you really need the chaos res (it's a lot of chaos res..)
Silver, now that onslaught scales with flask effect
Quicksilver for zoomzoom
Diamond if you're a crit build but I personally wouldn't unless you really need it, but if you already have a mageblood then you probably don't.
Quartz for suppression (19% max) but also permanent phasing. I almost always run one of these.
Gold if you're feeling really strong already
Bismuth if you really need the resists, which you could on certain builds that utilize a lot of uniques, etc

Suffixes:
Armour/evasion
Movement speed
Stun avoid (I almost always use this one; you only need a reasonable T2 roll, I think 52% is the breakpoint? to hit 100% with increased effects)
Curse effect - a nice QoL but not necessary at this point, probably
Poison/bleed immunity but I think these are low value ones considering the opportunity cost

Crafted from cinderswallow reveals:
3% life regen
25% reduced mana cost (this is a big one for certain builds)
Rarity if you're already strong

One of the big things with mageblood is that, with the increased flask effects, just a single jade/granite with a T1 suffix and determination/grace gives you over 20k and that's a lot. Enough to actually make it feel good. So one thing I usually try to do is, if I'm only using single grace or determination, to add the other. This can involve significant shuffling around of points and gem slots, including throwing in a level 4 Enlighten, and possibly a new shield (reservation reduction) or helm/helm implicit (possibly enchant but probably not). This will make you way tankier than you already are. If you're already using det/grace then enjoy being even tankier without the extra effort.

I typically use something like:
Quartz / Jade / Granite / Silver. Depending on the build, I may flex one of the jade/granite/silver for something like bismuth/gold/amethyst.
Suffixes, I almost always run stun immunity, along with armour+evasion if I use them and a movespeed, or if I'm already fast then curse immunity, regen, or preferably rarity if I can.

Mageblood either fills in holes in your build (like recovery with the life regen or mana cost), enables you to swap out equipment (you could use the mana cost to drop some elreon -mana cost crafts, an amethyst to swap out chaos res gear, etc) or enables you to switch up your character a lot (adding armour or evasion, adding spell suppression, etc)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What forbidden flames did juff bone shatter usually take ?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
level 100 and a mageblood in their first league, two things I still haven't done with almost 6k hours in poe

frank frank, you are a genetic freak

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

whypick1 posted:

It can still be quite the trap. Like if I'm using Molten Strike and slot in Ancestral Call, my tooltip DPS will go down because AC has a damage penalty but my effective DPS should go up since I'm spawning a lot more projectiles to hit monsters with, which is is where the bulk of the damage of the skill comes from.

Yeah I think new players should know it can be deceptive so it's not the only number they chase, but outright ignoring it I think can make comparing items feel even more impenetrable than it already is. Depends on the skill you're playing of course and I only use it during the campaign when I'm not gonna take the time to pob things out.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

EVIL Gibson posted:

Okay, serious video just was posted about top 100 tips from beginning to advanced. I watched it all the way though and there are things in there that I learned by have seen people ask in this thread all the time.

The tips mentioned

Bolded is things new players won't immediately get and underlined are either very important and/or I learned something

This is incredibly useful, thanks!

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1691185515008266241?s=20

flask duration is insane

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

External Organs posted:

Small text to would be Frank Frank's: past performance does not indicate future results

Haha I had a post typed out that said something like "new intrusive thought for the next 3 months: Frank Frank got a Mageblood" and then thought better of it, but since you brought it up...

EVIL Gibson posted:

The tips mentioned

Super useful, thank you!

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
lol those are not equal at all, 6% flask duration is crazy good for sacrificing a small dex

i can see a lot of bottom right side parts of the tree converging on reaching 100% flask uptime

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Took me 15 fuckin' divine orbs but I finally hit 4 flasks. Thank god some dude came along and bought a 10d WE from me while I was sitting there with a 2 mod on it. I am now flat broke lol

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Flat broke at the very end of a season league is just efficient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

FZeroRacer posted:

lol those are not equal at all, 6% flask duration is crazy good for sacrificing a small dex

i can see a lot of bottom right side parts of the tree converging on reaching 100% flask uptime

That seems like something GGG is going to nerf just before launch.