Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1690788430505017345

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Good lord.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

It's some loving WWI/WWII poo poo when infantry get caught in the open and obliterated by artillery.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Can't wait for some shitlib Pro-Russia Tankie to say that this is a warcrime just like the Highway of Death.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought all the shitlibs liked Ukraine in this war, but I'm not sure which ones are shitlibs at this point. I assume the ones I don't like

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Nessus posted:

I thought all the shitlibs liked Ukraine in this war, but I'm not sure which ones are shitlibs at this point. I assume the ones I don't like

I believe that is the current in-use definition of both 'shitlib' and 'tankie', yes. It saves a lot of time when you're winding yourself up by prophesying wrongs committed by people you don't like, who are imaginary.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Nessus posted:

There's some maligned leftist shitheels that call for peace and take any opportunity to point out any perceived "escalation of violence" Ukraine does, completely ignorant or dissonant of the abhorrent poo poo Russias been doing since day 1.

Then of course there's the typical tankies and contrarians.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Apparently they JDAMed a bunch of targets in the area as well.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I believe that is the current in-use definition of both 'shitlib' and 'tankie', yes. It saves a lot of time when you're winding yourself up by prophesying wrongs committed by people you don't like, who are imaginary.
Look, the people I imagine to be angry about are far more emotionally engaging than the actual ones, and Twitter X is large enough that I can find an approximation.

I did think 'tankie' was still people who were unironically and uncritically stanning for the USSR/Russia, with vaguely leftist reasons. I would exempt someone whose focus was on US matters but who did say 'nothing Russia is doing is good, and they started it, however most of what I can actually say involves US policy, because that is what I know.' However, that's a lot of letters, and anything past the first eight words might as well be lorem ipsum.

psydude posted:

I guess they've moving on down, where the heck is this. Are they gonna reach the sea any time soon?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

this is good for bitcoin

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Nessus posted:

I guess they've moving on down, where the heck is this. Are they gonna reach the sea any time soon?

I think this is still that river valley set of villages sort of following the T0518 highway. Urozhaine is across the river from Staromaiorske as a sort of twinned village. It's not near the sea, but the highway goes towards Mariupol as opposed to the Robotyne->Tokmak->Melitopol axis that is also slowly grinding forward.
See a map

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
What was the name of that famous German retreat, in the weeks after D-Day at Normandy, where they tried to withdraw while partially encircled and got badly chewed up? Probably a better comparison than the highway of death.

EDIT: that's right, the Falaise Pocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2YCdGC5ePw

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 14, 2023

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Action-Bastard posted:

There's some maligned leftist shitheels that call for peace and take any opportunity to point out any perceived "escalation of violence" Ukraine does, completely ignorant or dissonant of the abhorrent poo poo Russias been doing since day 1.

Then of course there's the typical tankies and contrarians.

Before day one. How many peace treaties with Ukraine has the Russian Federation broken, like 6 or 7, right?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

psydude posted:

yeah this isn't a bunch of fleeing deserters loading down loot into captured civilian vehicles. They're active combatants resetting to new defensive positions.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mzuri posted:

It's a Kerch-22, really.

Very good.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Reading this has me thinking drone buzzing is going to be a big PTSD trigger for vets when this is over.

https://twitter.com/sambendett/status/1690692642357587969?t=Mb7bgjWfgQopzgG8ErXqtg&s=19

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dandywalken posted:

Reading this has me thinking drone buzzing is going to be a big PTSD trigger for vets when this is over.

https://twitter.com/sambendett/status/1690692642357587969?t=Mb7bgjWfgQopzgG8ErXqtg&s=19

What does FPV stand for? Can't find in it in a casual search.

E: "First Person View" I'm assuming.
E2: vvv Ha. Thanks all. vvv

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 14, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

RoyKeen posted:

First Person View, drones piloted with displays mounted on the pilot eyes in goggles usually.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

RoyKeen posted:

First Person View: camera on the drone trasmits to some goggles you're wearing, like a dork. You steer the drone, loaded with HE/HEAT, into the nearest target. It's a loitering munition minus the $100k price.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

RoyKeen posted:

Edit is correct. The pilot flies the drone from a first person view instead of on a map or similar. Used mostly for kamikaze drones

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

RoyKeen posted:

First person view. Drones piloted by wearing goggles.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dandywalken posted:

There's been numerous accounts from civilians in the Middle East that hearing drones is absolutely a PTSD trigger. Knowing it means there's a robot in the sky that might decide to kill you or might not, all according to the unknowable whims of people miles away who you'll never meet, see, or even learn their names, pushing buttons for reasons you do not understand beyond their all too lethal consequences if they fire.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dandywalken posted:

Tinatus from bad hearing protection will cancel it out.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
In the DIY FPV drone space we're seeing ones that can hit a 300kph sprint for a mile or two in a terminal phase following a 7-10 mile slower cruise. The radio systems can be made high reliability spectrum hopping ones with off the shelf components. The hurdle to the last 10% of range performance is actually the lack of test data in COTS battery and motor test-to-failure. Since when used as ordinance they'll be on a one way trip, if you can use a lighter motor and battery with the expectation that they'd be unusable after that 10-20 second terminal phase you extend the cruise range. But since most of it is cheap QC there is no way to reliably know ahead of time if a system can do double its rated C for 1s or 10s or 20s. There is a very sharp knee in which thermal effects take over. In some well qualified Samsung stuff you'll be pretty confident where that knee is in your curve, but when you buy stuff off alibaba you have a lot of unknowns.

So when BAE starts selling them for $10k a pop you know they're going to be terrors, but also will have missed the whole point.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 14, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

M_Gargantua posted:

So when BAE starts selling them for $10k a pop you know they're going to be terrors, but also will have missed the whole point.

It all depends on how it's implemented. One of the quiet tricks that the US has up its sleeve is to drive up the cost of effective weaponry for everyone, because they can afford it. If an expensive drone can somehow make the cheap ones functionally obsolete, then everyone has to shell out big time or get stomped on. That's actually one of the biggest issues for NATO right now - drones threaten their financial advantage.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

$10k for a commercial-grade version of whatever Ukraine is hobbyshopping together with volunteers seems like a bargain. Consider how much a javelin costs.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

e: wrong thread

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Kaal posted:

That's actually one of the biggest issues for NATO right now - drones threaten their financial advantage.

I’m curious if this will be offset by volume. IE, Everyone has drones but NATO has 10 or 100 times as many and can carpet bomb with disposable drones.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Yeah 10k is pocket change in terms of dod spending

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
ECM is another area I imagine NATO has an edge in, so who knows. The drones may turn right around and blow up the operator.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

No one wants to make military-grade FPV suicide drones, at least the way Ukraine is using them. You need extremely skilled pilots who are close enough to relay low-latency commands, putting them in danger

That’s why defense companies are trying to crank out varying bling levels of AI loitering munitions

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
AI-powered loitering munitions feels like an excellent way to shirk the blame for when one accidentally bombs a wedding.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Victis posted:

No one wants to make military-grade FPV suicide drones, at least the way Ukraine is using them. You need extremely skilled pilots who are close enough to relay low-latency commands, putting them in danger

That’s why defense companies are trying to crank out varying bling levels of AI loitering munitions

This is one of those situations where driving the costs way down has a ton of advantages. You can train people up faster AND if you lose a few to poor piloting the main cost is the strain on your logistics.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Kazinsal posted:

AI-powered loitering munitions feels like an excellent way to shirk the blame for when one accidentally bombs a wedding.

Whats the difference between a training camp and a wedding?

Don't ask me, I'm just the programmer.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I wonder what the rate of PTSD symptoms are between 'regular' drone operators and FPV operators.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You could send a squadron of drones under automated control with a single operator who takes control one-at-a-time to make the final attack run with each.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

You could send a squadron of drones under automated control with a single operator who takes control one-at-a-time to make the final attack run with each.

That seems more like a legitimate usecase for AI. The meatsuit operator directs the swarm to a target area, selects targets and authorizes the attack, and then the AI prioritizes targets and prosecutes the attacks simultaneously.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Lone Badger posted:

This is too much like EvE multiboxing

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

If you wait for the gender reveal, the chances are pretty good they'll bomb themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The Lone Badger posted:

I think this is not unlike how drone strikes currently work.