Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funka
Jan 4, 2006

armpit_enjoyer posted:

CS6 still works on Windows 10, if you find a copy, unless you're on Mac in which case godspeed

I'm still using Photoshop 7. On Windows 11 (don't Windows 11).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Funka posted:

I'm still using Photoshop 7. On Windows 11 (don't Windows 11).

Yeah, newer photoshops have some nice features but nothing I regularly use isn't in 7.

gently caress as a service software.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I've lost all control over my computer since upgrading to the latest windows. I can't control when it turns out the screen or when it locks itself. I can't control the behavior of task bar icons (gently caress combine similar, spread that poo poo out!). I can't change the start menu. I can't tweak poo poo anymore because the user interface is always-online advert driven garbage. On my own computer! Fffffgggggggdduck!

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

anonumos posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I've lost all control over my computer since upgrading to the latest windows. I can't control when it turns out the screen or when it locks itself. I can't control the behavior of task bar icons (gently caress combine similar, spread that poo poo out!). I can't change the start menu. I can't tweak poo poo anymore because the user interface is always-online advert driven garbage. On my own computer! Fffffgggggggdduck!

A friend hooked me up with Windows 10 LTSC back in the day and I keep using it even though you're "not supposed" to use it as a daily driver OS for whatever reason. It's Windows 10 with all of the ads stripped out, alongisde things like the Microsoft Store and Cortana. Until 2021 it didn't even come with Edge. The only downside I've encountered thus far is that you can't install Whatsapp on it anymore, because that requires Microsoft Store.

I hope that by the time Windows 10 LTSC stops being a thing (this version will be supported until at least 2026), they'll either release a similarly stripped down version of Windows 11 or they somehow release Photoshop for Linux, because that and games are the big reason why I'm still on Windows (and Steam is making great strides wrt gaming on Windows)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Paint.net is the way to go. I have some students who prefer Photopea, but it’s way less intuitive imo

We should make a How to Less lovely recommendation thread or make lists up here

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Professor Shark posted:

Paint.net is the way to go. I have some students who prefer Photopea, but it’s way less intuitive imo

We should make a How to Less lovely recommendation thread or make lists up here

step 1. Turn off your computer

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Professor Shark posted:

The last couple years I’ve definitely noticed a conditioning of customers to not expect value for their money. It feels a lot like the old warnings and criticisms about Communism that Capitalism made

Capitalism loves projection, every accusation is an admission of guilt etc

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why would a computer turn off?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Hammerite posted:

Weird, normally people tell me to turn my monitor on when I start complaining about how terrible everything is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hammerite posted:

More and more becoming the correct answer

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Improbable Lobster posted:

Capitalism loves projection, every accusation is an admission of guilt etc

I'm reminded of the flood of tweets just post-quarantine with pics of empty store shelves and commentary like "life under communist Biden" when the cause was capitalism, and the President was Trump.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

I've got to go through a private company to get a copy of my loving birth certificate, it's expensive as hell, and I have to wait 6 months. This used to be a basic government service.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Actual Satan posted:

I've got to go through a private company to get a copy of my loving birth certificate, it's expensive as hell, and I have to wait 6 months. This used to be a basic government service.

Yeah but nobody made any money doing it the old way.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Actual Satan posted:

I just got a copy of mine from the City of Lowell, MA for 12 bucks and they sent it in a handwritten envelope scotch taped shut. Still doing it old school in the Commonwealth.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

dr_rat posted:

gently caress as a service software.

Seems like that should be hardware but sign me up regardless.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There's these hearing aids that are "powered by Bose" and you use an app to adjust them, and it's a monthly subscription. Kinda blew my mind that hearing aids have become a subscription service. What's next? Pay weekly for glasses?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

hearing aids got really really really really really really really really really really good over the last 30 years

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

dentistry, being a scam, has not

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I keep hearing that dentist chains like Sage are awful and constantly try to upsell you.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

love my immigrant coworkers explaining that dentistry in their home country costs like $15 and uses medically-standard painkillers that western medicine has pretty much outright banned because of the opioid crisis

and here it costs $1500 and still leaves you in pain

no idea where the truth is but gently caress dentists

naem
May 29, 2011

wash bucket posted:

I signed up for Linkedin recently and hoo boy is that a desperate app. Notifications for everything. Notifications for people looking at you.

Mr Lanternfly posted:

Did the thread already cover how every single thing is now a subscription service?

LinkedIn has added a paywall to job listings, it used to be post a job or apply to a job as a reason to use Linkedin at all. Like, hey use our platform

Now, there is a tiered subscription and I think you can only post three openings, for like $10k? and then another $10k a year to “promote” the listing aka they limit who can see if you don’t pay, and then there is an additional search bar thing that is like another $10k it’s nuts

they are counting on their userbase remaining large and they trying to monetize, not sure what happens when less people use for $$ reasons

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

is pepsi ok posted:

I keep hearing that dentist chains like Sage are awful and constantly try to upsell you.

I wrote a mini tirade about this before, but yes - Most dentists are more concerned about upselling you crap then they are anything medical.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

is pepsi ok posted:

My dentist predates them becoming sage, so he’s not into upselling me. He has changed Sage offices twice. They never notified me and scheduled me for a new dr each time who immediately had a list of expensive bullshit to sell me. I have followed my dr to the new locations and everything is fine. gently caress sage they are greedy assholes exploiting our lack of expertise

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ugh, you're all reminding me I need to go to the dentist, I haven't been in almost two years. My company was bought out, and our dental insurance changed and it's not accepted at my old dentist; who I actually liked. As far as I could tell, no big upsells on anything.

It's a local dentist, not any big chain like Aspen or Sage (wait...why are they all plant/tree named? Even my old dentist was called Timberlane...curious) but now I have to either just go and pay for things out of pocket, or try to find one in the area that does accept my insurance. I guess cleanings without insurance aren't usually TOO pricey, right? At least not if I don't get X-rays?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

PhazonLink posted:

somewhat related to the letter thing.

you still have to input your country. even though you already inputed your address. my dude you have a city, state and zip. and youre still asking for country and you put it in the depths of the 'U's?

lol at 2023 and input forms are arguably more janky than the 90s.

100% on everything. input forms are like 3 fields to a page where you used to fit 12 perfectly fine. also it does network requests for drop-down autocomplete etc so the input fields are slow and laggy because of that too, and sometimes display spinners.

e: gently caress workday

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 14, 2023

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

GolfHole posted:

dentistry, being a scam, has not

When I was living in podunk Thailand I went to the local dentist because I hadn't had a checkup in a while. He poked around, checked for cavities, told me my hygiene was good and then invited me to leave. When I asked him how much it cost he laughed and said "I didn't do anything, come back if you have any big issues" and sent me on my way. This was the same city where I spent 36 hours in in the emergency department and my bill was less than $4 US. Our entire medical system is hosed, my dudes.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

GolfHole posted:

love my immigrant coworkers explaining that dentistry in their home country costs like $15 and uses medically-standard painkillers that western medicine has pretty much outright banned because of the opioid crisis

and here it costs $1500 and still leaves you in pain

no idea where the truth is but gently caress dentists

Dentists here in Norway are so loving insanely expensive, it's way cheaper to just fly to Poland to get your chompers fixed. For some reason dentistry isn't classed as healthcare here so dentists just go hog wild and will bankrupt you. A lil taste of America

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Biplane posted:

Dentists here in Norway are so loving insanely expensive, it's way cheaper to just fly to Poland to get your chompers fixed. For some reason dentistry isn't classed as healthcare here so dentists just go hog wild and will bankrupt you.

It's the same in Canada and no one can really explain why. Half your benefits are insurance coverage for dental care. The government just announced some quasi nationalized dental care plan that will see low income families get a portion of it covered if they don't already have insurance, but the opposition will likely instantly scrap that when they're inevitably elected in a couple years.

On the positive side, I don't feel like dentists constantly upsell me here so that's nice.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Biplane posted:

Dentists here in Norway are so loving insanely expensive, it's way cheaper to just fly to Poland to get your chompers fixed. For some reason dentistry isn't classed as healthcare here so dentists just go hog wild and will bankrupt you. A lil taste of America

It's so crazy dental care is often not considered medical care. People die from tooth infections. It's not all teeth whitening strips.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Same in Sweden for the most part. I had to white lie and say I was prescribed from a doctor a weak muscle relaxer for my TMJ and I managed to get a prescription from a doctor, otherwise it would be 1000kr+ for a dentist.

Not sure why we’re loving doing this

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Evergreen meme

Although my mom currently has no teeth on the upper right side of her mouth, she had to pull them due to complications with her osteoporosis and it literally would cost north of 200k NOK to get it fixed. She does have a house at least.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Biplane posted:

Evergreen meme

Although my mom currently has no teeth on the upper right side of her mouth, she had to pull them due to complications with her osteoporosis and it literally would cost north of 200k NOK to get it fixed. She does have a house at least.

Tell her to fly to Turkey. PS if you have any hair loss it can come along and get both taken care of for probably well under 200 kilonoks (> $19K) all included

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My teeth may be in danger of imploding at any moment, but I have fuckin fantastic hair

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Medicare for All was gonna include dental and vision for everyone in the country.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Actual Satan posted:

I bet a lot of people would view getting something important with distrust because of Capitalism-poisoning and could not imagine a government service that made life better

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

For optometry, per-patient insurance payments have not nearly kept up with inflation. Owning your own practice is really expensive (as is optometry school), so a lot of optometrists have effectively had to see way more patients, meaning they spend less time with each patient. They also are incentivized to sell / upsell glasses to cover the gap. An optometrist who doesn't do the above has taken a pretty big paycut in the last couple decades, and doesn't make very good money anymore, especially given their level of education. And of course, this effective pay cut comes suspiciously right as optometry has become much less white and male.

So, as always, the issue is largely not with the doctors (who would mostly love to spend more time per patient and to focus more on helping people), but instead is with the parasites at the insurance companies (and in corporate optometry like LensCrafters, but that's a whole 'nother post). Also systemic racism and sexism.

Anyways, I kind of suspect something similar is happening with dentists.

Source: talking to my wife and her family, the majority of whom are optometrists.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

Source: talking to my wife and her family, the majority of whom are optometrists.

Yeah, the same is true for pharmacy (at least in Canada). The billable amounts for dispensing drugs has plummeted over the past couple decades and dispensing fees have been capped. That means that pharmaceutical chains are incentivized to push other services like home Healthcare products or (most significantly) medschecks. Medschecks are often beneficial to a patient if they're given enough time but chains like Shopper's Drug Mart and Rexall have super high quotas so pharmacists have to rush through them. So that means that tons of services are billed to the province or insurance companies for half completed medical reviews that are frequently wholly unnecessary.

Sadly, the solution so far hasn't been "this is silly and clearly gaming the public system for profit" it's been "public Healthcare, even the limited pharmaceutical coverage in Canada, is expensive. Let's give up and privatize wherever we can."

That's definitely things getting shittier for no reason (except for making Galen Weston and Daryl Katz a lot richer).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Application titlebars are friggin huge these days, even on phones, and the bottom of apps like Gmail are taken up with a half inch of buttons I don't want and can't get rid of.

Then, there's orienting your screen horizontally and those screen elements don't resize or disaappear to accomodate the very clear lack of vertical space.

Then the keyboard slides up when you need to type, and it includes a gutter with a single button on it for hiding the keyboard, yes, taking up vertical space.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 14, 2023

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

It's the same in Canada and no one can really explain why. Half your benefits are insurance coverage for dental care. The government just announced some quasi nationalized dental care plan that will see low income families get a portion of it covered if they don't already have insurance, but the opposition will likely instantly scrap that when they're inevitably elected in a couple years.

On the positive side, I don't feel like dentists constantly upsell me here so that's nice.

No lie, Liberals propped up by an NDP alliance is really awesome and it’s good to see things like Dental and Daycare becoming real issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

No lie, Liberals propped up by an NDP alliance is really awesome and it’s good to see things like Dental and Daycare becoming real issues

Absolutely, I have no idea why universal pharmacare and dentalcare aren't already a thing and more popular than they are. It makes no sense that I have to have private insurance pretty much only to go to the dentist. The move to privatize sections of our healthcare system should be causing far more outrage than it has. Sadly, short of a miracle reversal in trends the conservatives under Pollievre are going to sweep to power and undo all the gains of the most recent government by calling it freeing hardworking Canadians from the yoke of Trudeau/Singh tyranny.