Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

juries mostly convict everyone they see.

:chaostrump:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Does "puts" mean he is shorting the stock market? I know CSPAM is full of day traders, but help me out here.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Does "puts" mean he is shorting the stock market? I know CSPAM is full of day traders, but help me out here.

yeah

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

it means he is "putting" his money into stocks. time to buy!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

The Big Puts

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

PoundSand posted:

I wonder how common this is, what a wild read.

taking the plea seems like a lovely deal she got railroaded into by a bad lawyer cause criminal trial would require an actual jury to not just laugh it out of the court room right? Though I guess the entire jury could just be nextdoor psychopaths so maybe not.

It's been happening for a while.

This kept happening to a family where I live. They were at a playground two blocks from their house.

I remember a black mother being arrested when she had her kid play at a park while she worked at (I think?) McDonalds almost a decade ago.

Not sure those stories even merit reporting anymore because everyone just assumes there are satanic pedophiles everywhere snatching kids. Mostly just CPS it seems. Same thing.

Chad Sexington has issued a correction as of 20:04 on Aug 14, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PoundSand posted:

I wonder how common this is, what a wild read.

taking the plea seems like a lovely deal she got railroaded into by a bad lawyer cause criminal trial would require an actual jury to not just laugh it out of the court room right? Though I guess the entire jury could just be nextdoor psychopaths so maybe not.

Criminal defense is insanely expensive. It would cost a hell of a lot of money to fight it, and there's a moderate chance that the jury decides to destroy you.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

PoundSand posted:

it's literally because of the sex trafficking our kids paranoia, so you'd have to take a Texas jury and pray that you don't get any Qanon nutters who will refuse to acquit because of the Great Plot

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Dyson has this thread in mind

ROCK OUT WITH THE SMOG OUT!

quote:

Pricing starts at £749.99 for the standard version.

e: wrong thread but i'll keep it because it's pretty doomsday

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Azuth0667 posted:

Shrinkflation means you have to buy more if you wanted the same amount.

Yeah but I'm talking like, airlines making GBS threads the bed repeatedly and people just clamoring for more tickets at premium price points. Netflix putting their boot down on sharing and cancelling shows left and right and still getting more subscribers. Mcdonald's raising prices and shrinking portions even more and business is still booming.

Like, at what point is there any pushback or even just the line where people can't even afford it? In the grand scheme of things I'm fortunate to be able to afford stuff even after the gouging, but I still demure at doing so and do my best to avoid products that are stupid marked up, I can be the premium consumer, I just choose not out of pure spite.

Chad Sexington posted:

It's been happening for a while.

This kept happening to a family where I live. They were at a playground two blocks from their house.

I remember a black mother being arrested when she had her kid play at a park while she worked at (I think?) McDonalds almost a decade ago.

Not sure those stories even merit reporting anymore because everyone just assumes there are satanic pedophiles everywhere snatching kids. Mostly just CPS it seems. Same thing.

I like how people are afraid of kid snatchers they call armed men to come snatch the kid and take them to jail where bad things definitely don't happen.

There's eventually gonna be a story where someone incites a mob at a playground against the actual parent so they use it as a cover to kidnap the kid themselves.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Aug 14, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Americans are pay painpigs and get off on spending money/consuming no matter the price

profits only go up

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

unfortunately the plan is really really straightforward: they'll keep raising prices on all goods until people riot, at which time they'll demand the government start arresting/killing protesters, then continue raising prices. There's no consequence for any member of the business owning class to do this; they won't be arrested and they can just fly to another country at any time if they feel they are in danger.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

skooma512 posted:

Yeah but I'm talking like, airlines making GBS threads the bed repeatedly and people just clamoring for more tickets at premium price points. Netflix putting their boot down on sharing and cancelling shows left and right and still getting more subscribers. Mcdonald's raising prices and shrinking portions even more and business is still booming.

Like, at what point is there any pushback or even just the line where people can't even afford it? In the grand scheme of things I'm fortunate to be able to afford stuff even after the gouging, but I still demure at doing so and do my best to avoid products that are stupid marked up, I can be the premium consumer, I just choose not out of pure spite.

don't worry, that will all be fixed in october

Griz
May 21, 2001

went to the lovely grocery down the street and they want $2 for a single serving of greek yogurt

what the gently caress, I can go to walmart and get a 4 pack for $2.50

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Puts are a kind of options contract where, in exchange for paying a contract premium to someone, you get the right, but not the obligation, to sell a stock at the price set in the contract to that other party at a certain time. If you exercise the right, the other side has to buy it.

It is a gamble on both ends. The seller gets the contract premium and is betting the stock will stay at a certain price or even go up. You are paying the premium because you think you will make more by forcing the person to buy at a higher-than-market price.

Burry is anticipating that the market will go down. He intends to use those put contracts to force people to buy shares of the S&P 500 (or other positions) at a price that is higher than what those assets will be going for on the market.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Every time I read about all the different buying and selling options stock bastards deal in I'm reminded of the "they've played us for absolute fools" meme.

We live in the stupidest damned society. I just absolutely love living in a system where everything is based on gambling, grift, & theft

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Eric Cantonese posted:

Puts are a kind of options contract where, in exchange for paying a contract premium to someone, you get the right, but not the obligation, to sell a stock at the price set in the contract to that other party at a certain time. If you exercise the right, the other side has to buy it.

It is a gamble on both ends. The seller gets the contract premium and is betting the stock will stay at a certain price or even go up. You are paying the premium because you think you will make more by forcing the person to buy at a higher-than-market price.

Burry is anticipating that the market will go down. He intends to use those put contracts to force people to buy shares of the S&P 500 (or other positions) at a price that is higher than what those assets will be going for on the market.

If I was just a bit more of a gambler, I'd put puts on every single of these AI wankers if I thought I could time it, and have enough money to never work again, constantly put money in the goonfund and other gofundme type things and spam at promising crowdfunds.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

The Demilich posted:

Every time I read about all the different buying and selling options stock bastards deal in I'm reminded of the "they've played us for absolute fools" meme.

We live in the stupidest damned society. I just absolutely love living in a system where everything is based on gambling, grift, & theft

its helpful to think of it in terms of rich people having something and saying 'how can i turn this into even more money?'. why have 100 units of a stock just sitting accruing value, when you can offer them for people to gamble with and collect even more money for doing nothing.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

StratGoatCom posted:

If I was just a bit more of a gambler, I'd put puts on every single of these AI wankers if I thought I could time it, and have enough money to never work again, constantly put money in the goonfund and other gofundme type things and spam at promising crowdfunds.

the market can remain irrational longer than you can stay sol... blah blah blah

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

StratGoatCom posted:

Yeah. It's the timing that gets you.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

anonumos posted:

Now that I'm buying a house blocks from my kids' schools, I expect I might be host to my kids' friends a lot as they grow up. I'll be WFH the weeks I have them, and most of their friends' parents work late, so if their parents trust me, my house might become the after-after-school hangout spot, especially in HS.

We have had that situation a bit last year. It's fun to feel like the cool parent and popping off work to get in on a game of smash bros with the neighborhood hooligans is pretty sweet, but be sure to keep a good line of communication with your own kids.

I started noticing my son kind of acting out in ways that weren't usually his style and after a long chat turns out that he wished I would say "no" once in a while to the after school crowd. If he said no then there would be social consequences for him at school but after some school days all he wants is some peace and quiet to himself. We found a system of secret signals and check ins to be the ticket.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
priced in :downs:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Xaris posted:

priced in :downs:

Until tomorrow

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Eric Cantonese posted:

Until tomorrow

that’s also priced in :downs:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

meanolmrcloud posted:

its helpful to think of it in terms of rich people having something and saying 'how can i turn this into even more money?'. why have 100 units of a stock just sitting accruing value, when you can offer them for people to gamble with and collect even more money for doing nothing.

I understand the logic behind this stupidity. I simply hate them for the world they created and the wild poo poo they continue to do.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Re: bus chat, In my area the city busses take the kids who don't walk or bike. It's not even that urban of an area. The yellow bluebird busses are only for field trips and maybe there's a few rural routes. There are school shuttle companies but they are private and only take a few kids usually also to after school care.

The idea of having two completely separate bus systems for school kids and the rest of the public sounds crazy.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

StratGoatCom posted:

burry, who is way smarter than you on "investing", correctly believed tsla was way overvalued and massively shorted it

he then proceeded to get owned by tsla meteorically spiking to a market cap more than the next top 5 automakers combined lmao

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

skooma512 posted:

Like, at what point is there any pushback or even just the line where people can't even afford it?

"Well I'll just put it on the credit card."

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the AI mania has the potential to be abysmally shockingly stupid in terms of stonks similar to the dotcom boom or tsla

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
I love how fast the scam went from metaverse to AI. As metaverse was collapsing grifters didn’t even skip a beat.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Griz posted:

went to the lovely grocery down the street and they want $2 for a single serving of greek yogurt

what the gently caress, I can go to walmart and get a 4 pack for $2.50

Grocery stores are out of their minds these days. $3 for a bell pepper? $11.99/lb for the saddest looking little slab of old, grisly meat? Get the gently caress outta here

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Re: bus chat, In my area the city busses take the kids who don't walk or bike. It's not even that urban of an area. The yellow bluebird busses are only for field trips and maybe there's a few rural routes. There are school shuttle companies but they are private and only take a few kids usually also to after school care.

The idea of having two completely separate bus systems for school kids and the rest of the public sounds crazy.

school buses in the us are part of the framework which lets parents work, mass transit in the us is a check-the-box-we-have-it thing which is deliberately starved of funds and functionality

the rot has set in for a lot of poo poo but to keep parents at work the government forced them to send their children back to school in a plague, that level of services is still grudgingly seen as important for the grift

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Fortunately, my parents and grandparents lived across the street from each other.

When I got dropped off from school by the school bus. I would just stay with my grandparents at their house until my parents finished work and came to pick me up.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The only reason anybody trashes a grocery store in the US is when a beer company makes a one-off novelty can design for a trans person that wasn't never intended for commercial distribution.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

OhFunny posted:

Fortunately, my parents and grandparents lived across the street from each other.

When I got dropped off from school by the school bus. I would just stay with my grandparents at their house until my parents finished work and came to pick me up.

the push for a highly mobile nuclear family unit is the root for a lot of societal problems in the us imho

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The metaverse is too obviously lovely and way to narrow in scope to really scam the big bucks. AI bullshit, though, is nebulous enough to work for quite a while

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

AI is an easy sell because anyone can see that its core fantasy is “destroy and replace labor”

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

StratGoatCom posted:

you can't trade a lot of these actual AI companies such as OpenAI because they're private ventures. and betting against the big names hyping AI like Alphabet, Nvidia, Meta, or Microsoft means you're betting against megacorp dominance. they will pivot to the latest Big Thing and cash in again in 6-18 months, plus they're still reaping enormous profits on their core business models in the meantime

best not to get involved. it feels like betting against Tesla based on the actual market conditions a few years back but all that would have happened if you'd done that is you'd lose your money as the bazingas keep buying it up, up, up

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

euphronius posted:

AI is an easy sell because anyone can see that its core fantasy is “destroy and replace labor”

The platonic ideal of tech company is one founder and one (intern) AI wrangler and nobody else to get between the investors and all the revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Delta-Wye posted:

the push for a highly mobile nuclear family unit is the root for a lot of societal problems in the us imho

Yeah, my brother moved far away and sadly has no familial or social support network to help him with these same things.