Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Blind Pineapple posted:

This one definitely felt like CC episode. A couple decent jokes, but the plot was dated and too many contrived "remember this character" jokes. It wasn't on the level of the offensively bad CC episodes that have been listed, but definitely in that Season 6/7 instantly forgettable range.

I agree with that. Feel that it has been the worst of the three. Much closer to the standard CC episode. However.....they still managed to avoid a really bad.....eye rolling joke that was pretty standard of many of the CC episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just love the little stupid moments so much. Like when Leela is pissed off at Fry and Bender, and snaps at Zapp,"Tell it to Wingus and Dingus here!" so of course Zapp turns around and goes,"Wingus, Dingus...." :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 11, 2023

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also, the eye-phone episode is actually a good episode aside from the ultra-cringey Susan Boil joke, which is actually a very small part of the episode. Proposition Infinity is good too. I said what I said.

That ep's premise was pretty stale when it came out and, we'll, time makes fools of us all.

I do miss when shows had time to make topical jokes before the six-hour Twitter cycle exhausted everything though.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
The three episodes have been boring TV, but I’ll probably keep giving it a chance until there is an aggressively bad episode.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I definitely hear how Fry sounds a bit haggard, but Hermes sounds totally fine to me :confused:

I’m the opposite. Hermes sounds terrible, but I don’t hear the tired Fry that everyone else seems to.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

I do miss when shows had time to make topical jokes before the six-hour Twitter cycle exhausted everything though.

I was going to make a joke about how if there's a second Hulu season we'll probably get a very timely take on Musk and Twitter in like 2025, but then I remembered that since he just continually keeps doing new dumb poo poo waiting for a Musk episode is probably for the best.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

... if there's a second Hulu season ...

https://decider.com/2022/02/09/futurama-hulu-revival/

They've ordered 20 episodes right out of the gate.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I'm starting to wonder if they used AI writers to some degree.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

I definitely hear how Fry sounds a bit haggard, but Hermes sounds totally fine to me :confused:

Also, the eye-phone episode is actually a good episode aside from the ultra-cringey Susan Boil joke, which is actually a very small part of the episode. Proposition Infinity is good too. I said what I said.

I recall those episodes being fairly well-received, along with the CC era in general. The hate it's been getting the last few weeks is really surprising to me.

Halisnacks posted:

The three episodes have been boring TV, but I’ll probably keep giving it a chance until there is an aggressively bad episode.

At least an aggressively bad episode would make some kind of an impression, boring is the worst crime comedy can commit.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 12, 2023

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TheFattestPat posted:

I'm starting to wonder if they used AI writers to some degree.

I remember Pendleton Ward, the creator of Adventure Time, got really annoyed that everyone kept asking him what drugs he was on to come up with the stuff in that show. He took it as an insult, like he wasn’t creative unless he got drugs to help him write.

What I’m getting at is that people can probably just be sucky writers too without help.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

the ultra-cringey Susan Boil joke, which is actually a very small part of the episode.

Yeah, there's also the vomiting goat.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The CC era definitely met with very mixed reception at the time. The eyePhone / Susan Boil episode was one of the first in the run and people hated it. With the exception of Bender's Big Score, the movies also got a really mixed slate.

Rewatching some season one episodes recently, it's striking how much slower the pace is, how many scenes have no music, and how much of a focus there is early on on plot and character. I always remembered the heartfelt stuff being something that came in later, but actually it's more like the jokes-heavy episodes come in later and the heartfelt moments get siloed off to dedicated episodes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Android Blues posted:

The CC era definitely met with very mixed reception at the time. The eyePhone / Susan Boil episode was one of the first in the run and people hated it. With the exception of Bender's Big Score, the movies also got a really mixed slate.

Rewatching some season one episodes recently, it's striking how much slower the pace is, how many scenes have no music, and how much of a focus there is early on on plot and character. I always remembered the heartfelt stuff being something that came in later, but actually it's more like the jokes-heavy episodes come in later and the heartfelt moments get siloed off to dedicated episodes.

Early futurama is like early simpsons
Late futurama is like late simpsons

It kinda makes sense that it's happened but it's still what it feels like

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
4: Parasites Regained
After Nibbler falls ill, the crew shrinks down for a dangerous mission into a desert world contained within his litter box.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

4: Parasites Regained
After Nibbler falls ill, the crew shrinks down for a dangerous mission into a desert world contained within his litter box.

I really hope it’s not just drawered jokes from the first one.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
That doesn't sound awful compared to at least the first ep of the season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It sucked. No good jokes

Steiv
Oct 16, 2005

Sweet Jesus it's the fabled Mardi Gras Cat-bird!
It was… fine? I guess? I called the Dune reference way early, which I was pleased about (my wife was less impressed). But, like, it just kinda wasn’t funny. I think I chuckled a couple times, but it was otherwise a very meh episode.

Still better than that loving cat one.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

thebardyspoon posted:

Hmm, I'd say my favourite episodes of the classic run weren't really ambitious, they were usually more low key. When I think ambitious and Futurama I think of the movies where they had all the minor characters showing up, a plot stretched over 4 episodes but kinda not really justifying it and then some quite well animated but pretty frivolous action scenes (mainly thinking of the space battle at the end of the first one there, the others don't have anything like that but it has been 10+ years since I watched them).

My favorite episodes are like, Godfellas and The Sting and the Late Philip J Fry, which are among the most ambitious visually and thematically, and deal with themes on a fitting cosmic scale. By "low-key" I mean the characters just being a certain location/genre/situation and just riffing on that.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Another aggressively mid as hell episode. Surprised to see Kyle MacLachlan in the credits - who did he play?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I haven't really noticed the other voice changing much, but Nibbler's voice was way off.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Making a Dune parody, but somehow forgetting to make it funny or put any jokes into it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah that was just a bunch of references that weren't really funny on their own.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah that was just a bunch of references that weren't really funny on their own.

So Family Guy?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
They didn't do cutaway gags so it was still more coherent.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The opening credits tag (or whatever you call that) was "look for the hidden story", more like look for the hidden comedy :owned:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oof.

At this point I'm just holding out for the odd funny joke that makes it way through. I dug "Approximately 6", "There's a trick to winning, always be X.... I'll be O!" and:

"If you're done interrupting, we're finished."
"Thank y-"
"I WASN'T FINISHED! :mad:"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Before I watched the latest episode, I saw someone say that Nibbler's voice was off.

I wasn't expecting it to be that far off. I had to check to see if it wasn't Frank Welker doing the voice.

"I didn't like the giant head." "That was the best part of the movie!" "No, the one blocking my view"

Jesus loving Christ that's a bad joke.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 14, 2023

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The beginning of this episode had some of the most incoherent pacing I've seen in a long time.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
My brainwaves must be off kilter from the rest of the people here because I thought this was the best Hulu episode so far.

Granted, the exact Dune references are alien to me since I haven't read it but cultural osmosis got me the general idea.

It's a simple story, what would you do for a pet you love? Granted, my pooch can't understand 3D crosswords or films in any language but wanting to stop a BFFs pain seems pretty universal to me. Some of the jokes were actually funny too but if you had to deal with the mental torture of watching dance competitions & recitals then Bender going all Fred Astaire for no logical reason drew laughter from me.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Island Nation posted:

My brainwaves must be off kilter from the rest of the people here because I thought this was the best Hulu episode so far.

Granted, the exact Dune references are alien to me since I haven't read it but cultural osmosis got me the general idea.

It's a simple story, what would you do for a pet you love? Granted, my pooch can't understand 3D crosswords or films in any language but wanting to stop a BFFs pain seems pretty universal to me. Some of the jokes were actually funny too but if you had to deal with the mental torture of watching dance competitions & recitals then Bender going all Fred Astaire for no logical reason drew laughter from me.

I'm actually rewatching some of it right now and it's not as bad as I thought last night. Some of the editing seemed off still, but it doesn't feel that dissimilar from a lesser original run episode. Which is fine, whatever. At some level, I'm just happy to watch the show for 22 minutes.

Also, it is a pretty sincere pet love story, without being saccharine like numerous other episodes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I don't think it was any worse than the last two episodes. A few small jokes got at least forceful exhale through the nose if not an actual "ha".

Not gonna go tell any friends to watch the new season, but definitely not worse than what we've seen so far.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’ll admit I laughed when they said Quiznos Cadillac

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"I didn't like the giant head." "That was the best part of the movie!" "No, the one blocking my view"

Jesus loving Christ that's a bad joke.

Particularly egregious because it was the only joke of the scene, unless you count Nibbler and Leela doing an impression of the annoying sounds in the movie as a joke.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

This whole season has been pretty lethargic, pacing is much closer to season 1 of show, but with less jokes.
It's not bad it's just bland, hoping they'll get back in the groove because all these episodes have a lot of potential but kinda flub it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Got to say watching these episodes makes me really appreciate Mike Judge still having the craft after so many years. Arguably the same with Animaniacs, even though they weren't able to get the supporting cast of characters back it seems.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Betty Cockroach got a sensible chuckle from me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Just absolute dogshit. It feels like scenes get cut too - the professor says don't get out of the tank. The tank sinks. They're out of the tank.
I thought they might say something about it but nope. Just carries on.

Nibbler turning up really small after his huge shadow comes over the tray, just nothing connecting the scenes.

I still don't really understand why they couldn't swap the litter tray. I know it was hard to get soil but that would have been interesting I guess.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I thought it was fairly okay, definitely a step up from last week. Thoughts:

- It's kinda weird that Nibbler kills a guy in a dog park at the start of this one.
- The 3D crossword cube is slightly funny (mostly in Katy Sagal's delivery when she asks for Nibbler's help with it) but it's also a cute sci-fi concept that would be at home in the early seasons.
- It's nice to see Fry and Leela just being a couple without it being a big deal, and it's also nice to see a more focused adventure that doesn't have the full cast tagging along to come and do the thing.
- I didn't have a problem with the Dune references, it's not really a direct parody to the point where it grates, but the litterbox jokes had like a 10% hit rate. Not great stuff. The "spice makes the beetles high, get it?" bits felt hacky in the same way.
- "He's our second best guide. Do most of what he says."
- Nibbler's long what-I-learned wrapup being met with "good" and the Nibblonians signing off made me genuinely laugh. It works as a quick punchline, but also as a joke about how hokey his reasons for being on Earth actually are.

All in all, not one I'd really wanna watch twice, but a totally serviceable episode. I liked that it had a solid emotional core and they did the sentimental beats in the final act - it can feel schmaltzy to do that stuff, but it's worth it and it elevates the rest of the episode a bit.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Android Blues posted:

- The 3D crossword cube is slightly funny (mostly in Katy Sagal's delivery when she asks for Nibbler's help with it) but it's also a cute sci-fi concept that would be at home in the early seasons.

It's funny, because I do agree that the 3D Crossword was funny but then she was playing Wordle in another scene (the same scene?) and that felt a bit more jarring to me [as someone who plays the first thing I do when I wake up most mornings, for the last 535 days].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

It's funny, because I do agree that the 3D Crossword was funny but then she was playing Wordle in another scene (the same scene?) and that felt a bit more jarring to me [as someone who plays the first thing I do when I wake up most mornings, for the last 535 days].

I think it was 3d wordle