Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

kliras posted:

artesian basically got bought by influencer org otk and turned into starforge; we all one day will become other influencers' content in the great circle of life

It might be a bit worse, as I seem to recall the computers that were part of the $10k Whale pass for LTX were Starforge supplied.

Kazinsal posted:

I am entirely unsurprised that the charismatic darling sales guy of shady defunct retailer NCIX is a scumbag.

It sounds like it'd be classified as "theft by conversion", which is basically theft via selling something you don't actually own. Like if you rented a Lamborghini for a week and sold it to a chop shop (a thing that some incredibly stupid people do).

There might be a bit of irony here to Linus. He mentioned that a prototype backpack (material/texture difference) they made a one-of, but decided to not go through with, so they gave it to an employee. It showed up at LTX, though it was not being used by said employee, just some random person, who said they got it at a local thrift store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Combat Pretzel posted:

Only read the first part because tl;dr, but "we didn't sell it, we auctioned it" lolwat. And if GN was in contact with Billet, they sure would have mentioned said claim of compensation from LTT?

Called it.

It’s a p decent example of “im sorry i got caught”

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

yeah

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

e: beat

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

if linus were smart he would have been like "we're not doing a wan show segment on this, any further comments or questions should be directed to the CEO" but he refuses to do that because he's an idiot

I mean you hired the guy, make him do work

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

if linus were smart he would have been like "we're not doing a wan show segment on this, any further comments or questions should be directed to the CEO" but he refuses to do that because he's an idiot

i'm sure he fired that thing off without even mentioning it to the ceo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

that's gonna put the ceo right where steve wants him for that follow up about connections with companies though

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

All you need to know is he said what everyone expected. Whining that Steve didn't come to him, despite multiple historical examples of Steve going to him and getting nowhere until doing a video on whatever the thing at the time was. Also refers to "Team Media" seeming to push the idea that all the media outlets should be on the same side which gently caress the hell off dude.

He also says the water block auction was due to a "miscommunication" which, loving how my dude? You said you'd send the block back in June and auctioned it off at an event in loving August.
Wait, is he seriously pushing some sort of notion that journalists should band together?
All the while whining about journalistic practices (which were the two words that caused me to stop reading, in the second paragraph)?

Linus seems to really love miscommunications, because they can be used to cover his rear end without having to apologize.
One wonders whether he doesn't buy into the notion in Canadia, that apologizing doesn't constitute admission of guilt?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Linus Tech Tips: It's About Ethics In PC Parts Journalism

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
there’s a sublime element to this considering gn steve called linus when his youtube got hijacked at like 4am (keep in mind the time zone differences, too)

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

And another couple of bangers from Linus.

quote:

Billet sent us a quote. I don't know or care how they arrived at the value. If they're good, I'm good. As for what steps we're taking, you're talking about an outlier issue that has happened once in 10+ years of operation. There won't be a new SOP to ensure we don't accidentally auction stuff. We just need to tighten up some documentation.

quote:

Getting all the details before publication is *NOT* the opposite of journalistic integrity. This isn't about being on a side... There's no war. You don't need to fight. You need to slow down and think....

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
"If only steve would have done the right thing and reached out to me" I lament while carelessly ignoring all attempts at outreach while pushing my staff to disregard everything else for higher numbers

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Jesus Christ that’s horrible

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

quote:

There won't be a new SOP to ensure we don't accidentally auction stuff.
The gently caress?

I have a new SOP, that might be worthwhile: Send it back the latest when you publish the video. Hell, put it in a box with a label as soon you're done with the filming.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
yeah you're not REQUIRED to get the target of a piece's response before you publish it, it's a nicety but it's not legally required or some poo poo. it's not like steve lied or made substantial falsehoods that linus could have responded to, it's just "no it was an auction and we're doing new things and he's being mean."

if linus had a stronger defense he'd show it

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I still don’t understand how people willingly watch the swill that is LTT

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

The gently caress?

I have a new SOP, that might be worthwhile: Send it back the latest when you publish the video. Hell, put it in a box with a label as soon you're done with the filming.

no, hold onto it for a week afterwards as policy in case something comes up and you need to retest. like, say, using it on the correct gpu.

but that should absolutely be enshrined in an SOP.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Icept posted:

"If only steve would have done the right thing and reached out to me" I lament while carelessly ignoring all attempts at outreach while pushing my staff to disregard everything else for higher numbers

GN specifically drew a line in the sand a while ago saying that they’re not going to do the “we’re all buddy buddy, we’re all youtubers here” song and dance with LTT/LMG

I wonder why :thunk:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Arivia posted:

yeah you're not REQUIRED to get the target of a piece's response before you publish it, it's a nicety but it's not legally required or some poo poo. it's not like steve lied or made substantial falsehoods that linus could have responded to, it's just "no it was an auction and we're doing new things and he's being mean."

if linus had a stronger defense he'd show it

Its generally considered good journalistic practice to give right of reply though, it's why games media posting about rumours always includes them posting the industry's favourite catchphrase "We do not comment on rumours and speculation" even though they know exactly what's going to come back when they send a request for comment.

Phone posted:

GN specifically drew a line in the sand a while ago saying that they’re not going to do the “we’re all buddy buddy, we’re all youtubers here” song and dance with LTT/LMG

I wonder why :thunk:

Specifically it was because LMG was now producing its own branded products (like those Noctua collabs), so as far as GN was concerned now they should be treated like any other company and not just a fellow media outlet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Arivia posted:

no, hold onto it for a week afterwards as policy in case something comes up and you need to retest. like, say, using it on the correct gpu.
Yeah but...

:20bux: :20bux: :20bux: :20bux: :20bux:

:thunkgun:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Looks like the first led to a second. :stare:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
turns out no, but still - lol

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Kazinsal posted:

Linus Tech Tips: It's About Ethics In PC Parts Journalism

new thread title?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

goddamn I hate linus

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
wait, hold up, this was over a kid buying something at an auction ltt didn't think he wasn't allowed to bid on?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

SourKraut posted:

I'd been considering it edutainment until now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
To me looking to Linus/LTT for legit hardware reviews would be like looking to the top gear bozos for legit car reviews

They're basically clowns capering for our amusement

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kliras posted:

wait, hold up, this was over a kid buying something at an auction ltt didn't think he wasn't allowed to bid on?

it was the ncix liquidation auction. the item in question was the youtube play button for the ncix channel linus (according to him) singlehandedly started and built up before going off solo and doing ltt. linus apparently didn't have whatever variant of play button that was himself, and felt he was entitled to the ncix one since it was for his work.

regardless of the outcome, i can't really blame linus for wanting basically the big sign of him being a good employee.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SourKraut posted:

to be fair, hard R linus was extremely funny earlier this year

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

priznat posted:

To me looking to Linus/LTT for legit hardware reviews would be like looking to the top gear bozos for legit car reviews

They're basically clowns capering for our amusement

Yeah I just use Scotty Kilmer

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
he just can't let it go

Our intention wasn't to hurt anyone. We wanted no one to buy it (because it's an egregious waste of money no matter what temps it runs at)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Phone posted:

to be fair, hard R linus was extremely funny earlier this year

The look on Luke's face when he heard that and realized he needed to put together a new resume was loving incredible.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
why is he posting through it on the official forums. i mean, i get why it's not surprising, but surely luke is somewhere pulling his hair out

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Among the many things wrong with Linus's reply to the whole Billet Labs fiasco is his focus on "it costs $800 dollars" and therefor isn't worth it regardless of the results it may or many not have.

The FIRST one will cost that much, but if by chance they get to where it is ordered in the 10's of thousands at a time, like say Corsair offers to partner and make a case to work with it, which is something I could see Corsair doing, then the cost would be substantially lower per unit. Even over time, as they discover easier/better way to machine them one at a time (like I suspect they are, or possibly were, doing now), the cost would go down.

Linus had complained about how much the first screwdriver and backpack were, but yet he completely ignores the flow of manufacturing something from scratch when it goes against his narrative.

Just more of his brainworms eating away as it has been.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

kliras posted:

why is he posting through it on the official forums. i mean, i get why it's not surprising, but surely luke is somewhere pulling his hair out

I'd say one has to wonder why Luke has continued to put up with Linus and his bullshit all these years, but it's pretty obvious that the money is more important to him than setting any kind of standard of integrity.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Branch Nvidian posted:

I'd say one has to wonder why Luke has continued to put up with Linus and his bullshit all these years, but it's pretty obvious that the money is more important to him than setting any kind of standard of integrity.

Tech wages in Vancouver are poo poo and being the cover-up guy for Linus is probably pretty lucrative.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kliras posted:

Linus should consider hiring an independent CEO for LMG. You know, so there'd be a responsible adult in the room to tell him that no, he is not allowed to post a cringeworthy, blame-shifting, "ethics in journalism" response post in the forums.

Oh, they did?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

They need a second CEO who just follows Linus around with a cattle prod in anticipation of him saying stupid poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

how do we know that Luke is not also bad