Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Pierzak posted:

Some really interesting stuff I got there. Thanks guys!

Also, I've seen that term "immersive sim" thrown around a few times, what does it even mean?

It's another name for a 451-like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pierzak posted:

Thief 1,2 - I got filtered by the pacifist requirement and the zombie level, but I did ghost Dishonored so I might revisit it. Out of curiosity, is there something wrong about the conspicuously missing 3?

Deadly Shadows' biggest flaw is being on the Deus Ex: Invisible War engine, so areas can be pretty tiny. It's still decent though.

They aren't first-person but the new Hitman games have a lot of Deus Shock-style open-ended problem solving.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Pierzak posted:

Also, I've seen that term "immersive sim" thrown around a few times, what does it even mean?
it doesn't actually mean anything (and trying to define it has generally ended in tears) but it has sort of stuck as the arbitrary genre title for deus-ex-likes.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Pierzak posted:

Thief 1,2 - I got filtered by the pacifist requirement and the zombie level, but I did ghost Dishonored so I might revisit it. Out of curiosity, is there something wrong about the conspicuously missing 3?

Thief 3 was designed for consoles, so there are plenty of compromises coming from 1/2 (smaller areas, loading screens, no rope arrow...) which will be more or less annoying depending on your personal preferences. It was considered the black sheep of the series until Thi4f came out, and is now retroactively considered a good game in hindsight. It also has a notoriously creepy stage. If you love 1/2 and want more, it's worth giving it a shot. Fan mods for Thief 2 are another alternative.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah there are a million great Thief 2 campaigns so just play those. Thief 3 isn't bad but it's very clearly a 2004 Xbox game with that telling look where it seems like someone has smeared everything in margarine.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

It's another name for a 451-like
What the literal gently caress does that mean :psyduck:

quote:

Thief 3 stuff
That'd explain some stuff. So it's more of a "play if you've beaten the others and still want more' territory than a classic I guess, thanks.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah there are a million great Thief 2 campaigns so just play those.
As in, fanmade, mods, or what? Where does one find them?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pierzak posted:

What the literal gently caress does that mean :psyduck:

basically what you were asking for: FPS games like System Shock and Deus Ex with open levels, inventories, maybe skill trees

the Looking Glass Studios office door code was 0-4-5-1 and it has become Le Epic Meme in many videogames

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm so loving tired of this discussion but no that's not what an immersive sim is, and yes the name for the genre is terrible and doesn't actually have anything to do with the definition of the genre.
Refer to the second sentence on the wikipedia page for the actual definition.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Immersive Sim is how you say Deus-Ex-like without getting mobbed by System Shock fans.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

basically what you were asking for: FPS games like System Shock and Deus Ex with open levels, inventories, maybe skill trees

the Looking Glass Studios office door code was 0-4-5-1 and it has become Le Epic Meme in many videogames

That's what I thought, I did get the 451 reference, but holy hell is the name dumb.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The idea is that since the games just are simulating everything, then you can use the skills it makes available to you in a variety of ways to solve the problems the game throws at you in elaborate different ways that can have cascading consequences making separate playthroughs interesting in different ways. Although in practice the games will have their limits and they will also lay out traps for players who don't know what's coming. Don't invest points into swimming.

You could also take that perspective and include things like Metal Gear Solid V, but that is definitely not taking any real inspiration from the Deus Ex/System Shock school of games that people who like to use the term "immersive sim" mean. Maybe they're also first person obsessives. They really like RPG mechanics as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Baldur’s Gate 3 is an immersive sim.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
An immersive sim is a game where passwords are on sticky notes, fictional one page books are laying around, and you can either shoot all the mans or sneak around them via perfectly placed air ducts.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

nachos posted:

An immersive sim is a game where passwords are on sticky notes

Perfectly immersive. (don't tell my boss)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

If this conversation continues I'm going to make actionable threats

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Are there any games about picking flowers or mushrooms or that kind of thing? I think my favourite part of RDR2 was wandering around after the game to pick flowers and hunt and turn the bits into clothes. I would love a game that was just those bits.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tuyop posted:

Are there any games about picking flowers or mushrooms or that kind of thing? I think my favourite part of RDR2 was wandering around after the game to pick flowers and hunt and turn the bits into clothes. I would love a game that was just those bits.

it's not out yet but keep an eye on Mushroom Collector Simulator

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

tuyop posted:

There's Morels: The Hunt for mushrooms.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

tuyop posted:

Strange Horticulture.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Sway Grunt posted:

There's Morels: The Hunt for mushrooms.

My partner has that actually and it’s just janky as hell. But it is a game about picking mushroom’s and flowers and collecting insects I think.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tuyop posted:

Miasmata is uh kind of this there's just sometimes an irritating local bothering you for picking the flowers

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hwurmp posted:

They aren't first-person but the new Hitman games have a lot of Deus Shock-style open-ended problem solving.
Yeah, the new Hitman games have got the "play your way" part of immsims done perfectly.

I'd also toss in Weird West - it's not without issues, mostly caused by it being made on tiny budget, but if you don't mind some repetitiveness, there's a decently mechanical system and a very cool setting.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Immersive Sims are puzzle games where you don't necessarily have to solve puzzles by shooting everybody with rockets, but it's fine if you do.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Ah so Fallout New Vegas

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Ah so Sid Meier's Civilization

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Shine posted:

Immersive Sims are puzzle games where you don't necessarily have to solve puzzles by shooting everybody with rockets, but it's fine if you do.

Sleeping dogs has grenade launchers, I reckon that counts

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Hwurmp posted:

Morrowind is an immersive sim?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Morrowind does not have vents, and is therefore a puzzle platformer

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I recommend playing sleeping dogs.

You, goon who is reading this. Specifically you.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ilmucche posted:

I recommend playing sleeping dogs.

You, goon who is reading this. Specifically you.

Slurpy Dongs.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Already have F123 and GT7, any good racing games for PS4 where you can heavily tweak/modify your car? Like getting new parts for it and such. Only interested in the sim side, not arcade.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I've been on my "return to gaming and actually enjoying it" tear lately

Kicked off with Diablo 4 which was a very fun time, but not into seasonal stuff.
Remnant 2 has been GREAT; and I'm more or less hanging in there with the difficulty (the first 10 hours was a shitshow though).
Baldurs Gate 3 is awesome, but not entirely my jam - playing a campaign with a group and that's probably good enough for me there.

This has me wanting something next. I'm finding I'm enjoying:
- Some degree of RPG elements, though I'm seemingly flexible on to what extent
- Interesting gameplay, unique builds, some depth to gameplay (be it in terms of combat mechanics and/or RPG elements.
- Prefer a single player focus (have enough coop I'm running currently)

I'm intrigued by exploring more in this area. True, proper hard soulslikes probably are outside my grasp but I could be wrong about this.

Basically, I'm looking for something else with a similar feel to Remnant 2, but maybe a little easier single-player. Ideally something with the ability to freely save and/or with tight mission loops (and not a huge open world where you can die at any moment and lose your progress)

Any suggestions? Might be a niche request here

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
RPG elements, singleplayer focus, tight gameplay loop? Sounds like you should look into roguelikes/lites. For classic roguelikes, I recommend checking out Caves of Qud, Dungeonmans, and Tangledeep.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Walked posted:

Kicked off with Diablo 4 which was a very fun time, but not into seasonal stuff.
Remnant 2 has been GREAT; and I'm more or less hanging in there with the difficulty (the first 10 hours was a shitshow though).
Baldurs Gate 3 is awesome, but not entirely my jam - playing a campaign with a group and that's probably good enough for me there.

- Interesting gameplay, unique builds, some depth to gameplay (be it in terms of combat mechanics and/or RPG elements.

I'm intrigued by exploring more in this area. True, proper hard soulslikes probably are outside my grasp but I could be wrong about this.

Basically, I'm looking for something else with a similar feel to Remnant 2, but maybe a little easier single-player. Ideally something with the ability to freely save and/or with tight mission loops (and not a huge open world where you can die at any moment and lose your progress)

Hades

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Walked posted:

You'll probably love Crystal Project (it's check pointed but very generously).

Have you played any Fromsoft Souls games? They're much more forgiving than people say they are, especially as time goes on. Elden Ring or Dark Souls 3 are good first ones. The truth about all souls games is that you don't actually lose much on death, souls are basically worthless and easily built up again. You do lose time on the run back but the check pointing has got better and better with time and the secret to most souls games is that actually you can run past everything you don't want to fight.

Dead Cells is also great.

Death's Door might be a good one to try as well. (Though no unique builds)

Nova Drift

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Walked posted:

The surge is very good but also quite hard. The first one is pretty linear but can be punishing for losing currency when you die.

Tight mission loops maybe mechwarrior 5? Lots of customisation in mech builds.

Sleeping dogs has a bit of an rpg element to it. You unlock new attacks and a few abilities as you progress the story, increase health etc. No unique builds, but the melee combat really shines and is very well done. Single player and not too hard.

Will second hades, it's a lot of fun. There are a bunch of core weapons with variations to choose from for runs, although your upgrades are semi random depending on what drops you get.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

fez_machine posted:

You'll probably love Crystal Project (it's check pointed but very generously).

Have you played any Fromsoft Souls games? They're much more forgiving than people say they are, especially as time goes on. Elden Ring or Dark Souls 3 are good first ones. The truth about all souls games is that you don't actually lose much on death, souls are basically worthless and easily built up again. You do lose time on the run back but the check pointing has got better and better with time and the secret to most souls games is that actually you can run past everything you don't want to fight.

I tried Elden Ring at release and just got bodied; though I imagine it wouldn’t be as bad right now - I’ve started to find my gaming legs again, if slowly.

That said - time is actually one of my more finite resources which makes that type of death often game-session ending (often only have 30min - 2hrs, though often longer)

I’m super open to trying these again if there’s a good entry point - Elden Ring may be worth another shot.

Hades looks awesome too - will fire that up. Supporting Deck is a huge plus.

Crystal Project looks awesome too - wishlisted and will likely try this one soon!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
final fantasy 7 remake has very unique hybrid rpg/character action mechanics and is a mostly linear game but with a few semi-open areas and places to grind if you want.

Monster hunter rise also a simple mission structure, tons of depth, and each weapon is effectively learning an entirely new combat system.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

nachos posted:

final fantasy 7 remake has very unique hybrid rpg/character action mechanics and is a mostly linear game but with a few semi-open areas and places to grind if you want.

Monster hunter rise also a simple mission structure, tons of depth, and each weapon is effectively learning an entirely new combat system.

Both awesome suggestions; thank you! FF7:R has been on my radar for a while and totally forgot about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Elden Ring really is fantastic. Give it a shot again, you’ll start to learn quickly as you bang your head against a boss. Don’t give up, skeleton!