Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hartnett was also pretty good in Wrath of Man, another recent Guy Ritchie movie. nothing spectacular, but a decent heist movie, certainly above par for late-era Guy Ritchie.

was still surprised when he popped up in Oppenheimer, and surprised again when he was really good in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hartnett was also pretty good in Wrath of Man, another recent Guy Ritchie movie. nothing spectacular, but a decent heist movie, certainly above par for late-era Guy Ritchie.
:hmmyes: Not a great Richie movie but the best he's done in a while. Had some surprisingly good one-shot scenes too. Hartnett wasn't bad in it, especially for playing a weiner

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I wanna know how Oppenheimer’s real-life trip to Japan after the war went.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Probably just walked around Japan mumbling Bhagavad Gita quotes, attempted to get a destroyer of worlds tattoo in Kanji.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I will admit, I did not know Safdie was a director. I'm dumb.

I still stand by my original point: he owns as Teller.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Go watch uncut gems

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

Go watch uncut gems

Uncut gams?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

Go watch uncut gems

I've seen it and it's good. I didn't realize he was 1/2 of the director team, and I probably never would have guessed in a million years that he did.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

onka jahms

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Benny Safdie's acting career is part of a Hollywood conspiracy to deny us RPatz's "BETTER TIME"

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I just really want to see whatever the gently caress he made with Nathan Fielder

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Saw the movie last night, my thoughts:
--I grew up in Los Alamos and saw it with another person from there. Doesn't give us any more authority but the mythology and warts we grew up with does shape our viewpoint.
--That is the most intense Christopher Nolan movie I've seen, and it was just people talking for three hours. (My choice of most intense movie that was just people talking still goes to Twelve Angry Men, but it's a different sort of intensity)
--The cast was amazing, but in particular I want to give a shout-out to RDJ as Strauss. He was pretty much the only driving character in most of his scenes, talking about things that had happened offscreen in the past, and he carried that weight.
--I felt hollow afterward. The movie had an ending, but it (intentionally) wasn't a moral or emotional ending.
--I appreciated that the people were allowed to be people. A lot of the narratives I've heard over the years paint it as "the scientists thought this, the soldiers thought that" and while the movie didn't go fully Shades of Gray it at least gave the characters some room to breathe.
--Trinity was jaw-dropping.
--I got sucked into the movie enough that when they had shots in Fuller Lodge I thought "wow, it looks exactly the same today" and had to remind myself that the movie was filmed today. Every gathering in town uses that space, I probably spent almost as much time in there drinking cheap punch as I did in my own house.

Overall, if it had presented itself as a movie about the Manhattan Project rather than about Oppenheimer I'd be pretty angry with the result, but that's not what it was doing and I hope that's not anybody's takeaway. As an exploration of a character it was fascinating.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Sad seeing people just come out and admit they didn't go see Operation Fortune Ruse de Guerre.

No Penny Dreadful heads in here either!

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I keep waffling back and forth on “Nolan is too sympathetic to Oppenheimer” vs. “Nolan has just the right amount of sympathy for Oppenheimer.”

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I lean toward the latter, especially with the movie constantly revisiting the idea of theory versus experimentation. And by theory I'm talking more about hypotheses (what is proposed based on the math and past evidence). I see it as an analogy for intentions versus outcomes. Intentions are a lot like theory in that they are what you expect the outcome will produce. However, theory and intentions can be upended by experimentation and reality.

What you do may not result in what you intended.

That's why the scene where Oppenheimer and Lawrence learn that German scientists have split the atom really stands out to me. Oppenheimer runs to the blackboard and writes out the proof on why that's impossible. Lawrence and his associates try to replicate the experiment, and prove that its correct. Theory, like intentions, don't matter once reality provides a different outcome. The movie keeps revisiting this idea. The scientists start working to make the bomb with the intention of beating the Nazis to it. However, when Germany surrenders before they can make it, they are stuck working on it despite reservations. When they made the bomb, they intended to use it as an acute weapon (all the harm comes from the initial use), but never expected the outcome would involve fallout and radiation poisoning. And Oppenheimer is awful at bringing theory into reality on his own. He's poo poo in the lab when studying at Oxford. Oppenheimer intends to use his status and connections to convince the military and government from continuing an arms race, but the interactions simply cause him to be excluded from future developments (Truman kicks him out of the Oval Office, and Strauss conspires to remove his security clearance).

That combined with contrasting his virtues (very smart and charismatic) with his sins (lovely friend who has sex with said friend's wife, lovely father who leaves parenting to his obviously overwhelmed wife, and lovely husband who cheats with on that wife with his former friend with benefits, etc.) makes me see the film as a portrayal of an important man in history, but not a lionization.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

I lean toward the latter, especially with the movie constantly revisiting the idea of theory versus experimentation. And by theory I'm talking more about hypotheses (what is proposed based on the math and past evidence). I see it as an analogy for intentions versus outcomes. Intentions are a lot like theory in that they are what you expect the outcome will produce. However, theory and intentions can be upended by experimentation and reality.

What you do may not result in what you intended.
[...]

I think this is the piece of things that helps resolve everything for me. Well put.

Also, I saw someone on Twitter mention Twin Peaks as an influence and I can see it. The speech and the sex scene in the interrogation room are very Lynchian.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 12, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bruceski posted:

I think this is the piece of things that helps resolve everything for me. Well put.

Thank you :)

Bruceski posted:

Also, I saw someone on Twitter mention Twin Peaks as an influence and I can see it. The speech and the sex scene in the interrogation room are very Lynchian.

Oh man, that's so true

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Bruceski posted:

Should’ve just played Twin Peaks S3 E8 for the Trinity test.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Just got home after seeing this, and have a lot of thoughts, but mostly that it felt like a 4-hour film that was cut down to 3 hours. I don’t mind the frenetic pacing of the first half, but this pacing extends to the dialogue: every character speaks and responds to each other without a single pause, breath, moment to think, stammer, etc, and it sometimes feels very unnatural. This type of rapid, always-on dialogue works in the deposition scenes, courtroom scenes, and when scientists are bouncing ideas off of each other, but the interpersonal stuff definitely needed more breathing room. Actually hoping for a longer cut at some point!

Also, the dialogue was all perfectly audible at the Alamo. Alamo has great sound system though and it was cranked to the max

Edit: one more thing: what was up with that one dialogue scene with three people the hallway where they **very obviously** kept breaking the 180 degree rule? Nolan has too much of a pedigree to do that by accident?… some statement about the shifts in perspectives that were forming?… or truly just a weird editing choice

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 12, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I had to lol when Oppenheimer first puts on the hat presented like Batman first donning the cowl.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah Ioved that hat and pipe scene even more on my second viewing. Cowboy scientist.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I had to lol when Oppenheimer first puts on the hat presented like Batman first donning the cowl.

Man, I only knew that hat from the posters and trailers, so I loled too.

He is wearing it on the cover of American Prometheus tho

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The 1940s were the last full decade in which a man could wear a hat at all times and not look dumb.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I saw this movie late, so forgive me if this has been answered, but I haven't found anything satisfactory to answer this question.

(mid-movie but fairly minor spoilers for Oppenhiemer) Feynman (Jack Quaid) watched the Trinity test while seated in an automobile and didn't use welder's glass, sunblock or anything. This is because the windshield glass would protect them from the UV radiation. This is apparently true, which I figured because it's too unbelievable to make up for your movie. And obviously Feynman didn't become famous for being "the dumbfuck who blinded himself at trinity" so we know it was safe enough. But the mechanics of it still just blow my mind. I know glass can absorb some forms of UV rays, but the scope makes it seem impossible to my tiny mind so I was trying to find an explanation of this. What are the mechanics of that?

Does anyone know the answer to that question? My searching online has gotten me other irrelevant stuff because looking up stuff about nukes attracts all sorts of TEOTWAWKI people.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I don’t know what the truth is but there’s no way the car windshield protected him from the worst of the radiation, in particular the gamma rays. I suspect he got a pretty big dose of radiation to the face, but due to its relatively low yield and their distance from the blast it wasn’t a catastrophic mistake.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

I saw this movie late, so forgive me if this has been answered, but I haven't found anything satisfactory to answer this question.

(mid-movie but fairly minor spoilers for Oppenhiemer) Feynman (Jack Quaid) watched the Trinity test while seated in an automobile and didn't use welder's glass, sunblock or anything. This is because the windshield glass would protect them from the UV radiation. This is apparently true, which I figured because it's too unbelievable to make up for your movie. And obviously Feynman didn't become famous for being "the dumbfuck who blinded himself at trinity" so we know it was safe enough. But the mechanics of it still just blow my mind. I know glass can absorb some forms of UV rays, but the scope makes it seem impossible to my tiny mind so I was trying to find an explanation of this. What are the mechanics of that?

Does anyone know the answer to that question? My searching online has gotten me other irrelevant stuff because looking up stuff about nukes attracts all sorts of TEOTWAWKI people.

It was surprisingly annoying to find actual numbers, even approximations. There are a couple of factors involved:
--Things that are transparent at one wavelength of light are not transparent at all wavelengths, UV rays are just light at different wavelengths that we consider different because it interacts with our bodies differently.
--Windshields have been made of laminated glass since the 1930s. This was for safety because it doesn't shatter when breaking, but as a side effect it's particularly good at blocking UV radiation. I've seen numbers of 98-99% effective, though nobody was citing their sources and I don't know if that's with extra treatments. 1% of a lot is still a lot, but not nearly as much.
--Health knowledge at the time was less sophisticated. They didn't have modern techniques for measuring eye damage (Feynman states in the anecdote that "bright light can never hurt your eyes" which is absolutely untrue) and the brain does an excellent job of ignoring blind spots. UV-B radiation causes visible sunburn while UV-A penetrates deeper, causing damage where it can't be seen.
--Feynman was a cocky narcissist who thought he was the smartest guy in the room even when that room contained everyone else at Los Alamos. Not a molecule of humility in his body.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Magnetic North posted:

I don't know the answer, but if I remember right, Feynman pretty strongly regretted saying that considering when he actually watched the test his vision went pure white and he assumed he had just blinded himself permanently. So while the windshield protected him from UV light he didn't comprehend that that wasn't going to be the main issue.

That was the weird part about the movie for me though. They go out of their way to showcase Feynman, but there was no point considering that in the actual Manhatten project, according to Feynman himself, he wasn't really an important part of it, and was more famous for all the dumb poo poo he got into while he was there, which you can't really showcase in a movie that's supposed to be pretty serious.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Biff Rockgroin posted:

That was the weird part about the movie for me though. They go out of their way to showcase Feynman, but there was no point considering that in the actual Manhatten project, according to Feynman himself, he wasn't really an important part of it, and was more famous for all the dumb poo poo he got into while he was there, which you can't really showcase in a movie that's supposed to be pretty serious.

I actually didn’t realize it was Feynman until after the movie ended (partly due to the audio quality), so I wouldn’t say they “showcased” him

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

was still surprised when he popped up in Oppenheimer, and surprised again when he was really good in it.

Oppenheimer was the second time I've seen Josh in recent years and thought "Wow when was the last time I saw HIM?"

The first time was Wrath of Man a year ago.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Jewmanji posted:

I actually didn’t realize it was Feynman until after the movie ended (partly due to the audio quality), so I wouldn’t say they “showcased” him

They have a scene during the "We're putting together a team" montage where they specifically seek him out, even though if I remember right, Feynman only saw Oppenheimer in person a few times while working on the project and barely ever said anything to him. It could be interpreted differently, but it felt a bit odd to me.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If they didn't include Feynman there'd be just as many observations about "why didn't they show the physicist who played the bongos and watched through a windshield, also look at all these cool stories about safecracking and how to teach physics."

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The Feynman wiki article makes him sound like a much cooler Carl Sagan, tbh

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Eason the Fifth posted:

The Feynman wiki article makes him sound like a much cooler Carl Sagan, tbh

https://thebaffler.com/outbursts/surely-youre-a-creep-mr-feynman-mcneill

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the scientist Richard Feynman. You do not, under any circumstances, "gotta think he's a much cooler Carl Sagan"

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

This is what's forever associated to my brain every time I think of Richard Feynman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKI8Xq0AiYI

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"He studied particles or whatever" is funnier than whatever jokes they were trying to do there.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

MeinPanzer posted:

This is such a lazy counterpoint that always gets trotted out in CD threads. Why does film criticism have to begin and end with assessing the film as presented? It's perfectly legitimate to explore what works and what doesn't in filmmaking by thinking about how a film could have been done differently, provided it doesn't become some elaborate and masturbatory fanfic exercise.

Because no one else has access to the hypothetical "better" version being imagined! If we were to discuss that version we'd have to speculate on what is already a speculation. It could very well be better; making only slight changes as opposed to elaborate ones - but we haven't seen it, it doesn't exist! It's just easier to talk and argue about the actual movie because it's something irl that we all saw, can rewatch/check, etc.

Fwiw I think it's fine to imagine how a story could be improved and so on, as long as the speculation is grounded first in the actual movie being discussed. But it's also an approach that seems prone to cases of misunderstanding or misinterpretation of the film as is.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Blood Boils posted:

Fwiw I think it's fine to imagine how a story could be improved and so on, as long as the speculation is grounded first in the actual movie being discussed.

Did you read my post? This is exactly what I am talking about in it.

Also, I’m sorry but this thinking:

quote:

Because no one else has access to the hypothetical "better" version being imagined! If we were to discuss that version we'd have to speculate on what is already a speculation. It could very well be better; making only slight changes as opposed to elaborate ones - but we haven't seen it, it doesn't exist! It's just easier to talk and argue about the actual movie because it's something irl that we all saw, can rewatch/check, etc.

is laughable to me. Why don’t you try using some creative thinking to imagine what a different kind of movie would or could be like? Writers do it all the time, with some great results!

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 15, 2023

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

"Creative thinking"? In this economy??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because It’s not your movie.