Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
https://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-former-republican-legal-officials-175703478.html

Includes a link to the brief.

echo posted:

Former Republican legal officials endorse special counsel’s speedy trial date proposal in Trump Jan. 6 case

Nearly a dozen Republican-appointed former judges and high-ranking federal senior legal officials on Monday endorsed the January 2, 2024, trial date proposed by special counsel Jack Smith in his 2020 election interference criminal case against Donald Trump.

The amicus brief was submitted to the United States District Court for the District of Columbia as a project of the Democracy 21 Education Fund in the January 6, 2021, case against Trump. It comes as the former president and his team look to push the case until after the election, though the final decision on a trial date will come down to presiding Judge Tanya Chutkan. Her decision is likely to come by the end of this month.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23909022-amicus-brief-endorsing-special-counsels-trial-date-for-trump-in-january-6-case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

To this loving day, I can't parse how that weird signature is supposed to say "Donald J Trump". I know some signatures can be abstract but this looks like it says "Ayawaska".

I can almost make out a "D" and maybe a "J" but...

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

OgNar posted:

Ga Lt Gov - "Donald Trump was the worst candidate ever, in the history of our party, even worse than Herschel Walker."

That last part was important and should have been in the tweet.

Yeah that "..." is hiding a hell of a slam.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

BiggerBoat posted:

To this loving day, I can't parse how that weird signature is supposed to say "Donald J Trump". I know some signatures can be abstract but this looks like it says "Ayawaska".

I can almost make out a "D" and maybe a "J" but...
See? See! I said I never made the request! It's not even signed by me. Checkmate lib. Fake news! Perfect phone calls! Witch hunt!

But anyway... How long before T starts filling "apology videos" to start inflating his polling numbers with people dumb enough to buy it? "Jesus says we're supposed to forgive".

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

XboxPants posted:

https://twitter.com/bluestein/status/1691219740847411201

“As Republicans we need to take our medicine and realize the election wasn’t rigged, Donald Trump was the worst candidate ever, in the history of our party … and now we are going to have to pivot from there.”

God drat.

January 6 was the time to pivot. Not loving now when the entire goddam GOP has ensured that Trump will once again be the nominee because everyone except Christie, Hutchison and apparently this guy feel the need to simultaneously suck Trump's dick and somehow pretend to be running against him.

But they would have had to be willing to take it in the shorts and get annihilated for real for at least one election cycle. And only Liz Cheney, Kinziger etc. were willing to fall on that grenade.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

But anyway... How long before T starts filling "apology videos" to start inflating his polling numbers with people dumb enough to buy it? "Jesus says we're supposed to forgive".

Admitting fault for anything is so antithesis to the Trump brand that it might be the thing that causes his followers to break with him.

Zwabu posted:

January 6 was the time to pivot. Not loving now when the entire goddam GOP has ensured that Trump will once again be the nominee because everyone except Christie, Hutchison and apparently this guy feel the need to simultaneously suck Trump's dick and somehow pretend to be running against him.

But they would have had to be willing to take it in the shorts and get annihilated for real for at least one election cycle. And only Liz Cheney, Kinziger etc. were willing to fall on that grenade.

But that would have cost McConnell the Senate Majority Leader postion he so dearly loves, which clearly was unacceptable.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

Admitting fault for anything is so antithesis to the Trump brand that it might be the thing that causes his followers to break with him.

But that would have cost McConnell the Senate Majority Leader postion he so dearly loves, which clearly was unacceptable.

Speaking of, has he made any public statements since his uh… brain fart on live tv the other week? I know they said he’s fine but uh he didn’t look fine.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Are they still going or what it’s almost 9pm est

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Going live!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxWEjSzCpRk

edit: Judge on the bench, waiting for the GJ to come in.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
They’re waiting on the grand jurors to enter the room.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/justingraywsb/status/1691251863407009792?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I wonder if they just ripped the bandaid off and actually impeached and removed Trump from office if it would have neutered some of all of these investigations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Something’s happening.

E: camera on judge now

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

here it comes

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Its happening!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What just happened lol

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Boris Galerkin posted:

What just happened lol

papers

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Reporter: "Can you tell us what it says?"
Judge: "I didn't get a good look. :agesilaus:"

Love this guy.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

What just happened lol

IIRC from that timeline the other day, the judge CAN read the indictment when he gets it, but doesn't have to. Looks like he didn't. But then when it gets filed it becomes public and we all see it. I think.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lol

Judge: ok now gtfo

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Judge said they should take their equipment because it’s just a normal day tomorrow in this room

Caros
May 14, 2008

XboxPants posted:

Reporter: "Can you tell us what it says?"
Judge: "I didn't get a good look. :agesilaus:"

Love this guy.

Okay, thanks for waiting several hours. Go away now.

But he said is so charmingly.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

cr0y posted:

Lol

Judge: ok now gtfo

"That's it. Was it everything you hoped it'd be?"

Caros
May 14, 2008

AhhYes posted:

"That's it. Was it everything you hoped it'd be?"

This is just like that time I went up on stage in Tijuana.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Caros posted:

Okay, thanks for waiting several hours. Go away now.

But he said is so charmingly.

He also brought out snacks for everyone earlier while they were waiting. Famous southern hospitality right there :3:

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Front page NYT headline says the GA grand jury delivered an indictment but it's not yet available to the public, will be later tonight.

I'd post a screenshot of the headline but I'm on mobile. Just go look for yourself.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
grand jury returned 10 indictments.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

That means 10 people, since I had to have that clarified in the other thread.

Caros
May 14, 2008

cr0y posted:

Lets see:

That'd give us Trump and the six federal co-conspirators (assuming all of them got looped in), with three extras? Maybe we'll get Ginni this time?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Hopefully it's Lindsey Graham. IIRC he went through a big fight to not be supoena'd.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cr0y posted:

any individual indictment could be any number of people, per the msnbc legal correspondents talking about this right now

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Caros posted:

Lets see:

That'd give us Trump and the six federal co-conspirators (assuming all of them got looped in), with three extras? Maybe we'll get Ginni this time?

A bunch of them are going to be local to Georgia, I bet.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

edit: i think that it's that the grand jury returned indictments for totally unrelated issues as well, nevermind

eke out fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 15, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wondering just how hard witness 5 rolled that he had over two hours of testimony.

like what all did he know

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FizFashizzle posted:

wondering just how hard witness 5 rolled that he had over two hours of testimony.

like what all did he know

....and when did he know it?

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
have there been any protests at these courthouses besides like, a small handful of people impotently waving signs? i honestly can't remember more than that

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The stream just had a banner saying they approved 10 indictments.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-fulton-county-georgia-08-14-23/index.html

quote:

A Fulton County grand jury investigating the Trump 2020 election subversion case in Georgia has returned 10 indictments, according to paperwork signed on camera.

The paperwork indicates the grand jury didn't vote against any of the indictments presented to it on Monday by Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis’ team.

Looks like they got something on camera and finally managed to decipher it? Doesn’t sound like it was an official announcement.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-fulton-county-georgia-08-14-23/index.html

Looks like they got something on camera and finally managed to decipher it? Doesn’t sound like it was an official announcement.

NBC guy Charlie Gile was waiting in the county clerk office and snapped a photo of the coversheet as it was handed in:
https://twitter.com/CharlieGileNBC/status/1691252931016728576

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I was just about to post that, they're currently scanning in all of those hard copies and digitizing them which is what everyone is waiting for.