Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Thinkin about lil baby boy Quatre obliterating a whole colony because of the Zero System.

personally im thinking of allenby going murder death kill style when the mad scientist pulls the lever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

drrockso20 posted:

Like I've said before conceptually Cyber Newtypes are a great idea, the problem in the execution is that most people who get converted into them are coerced into it, brainwashed, and/or already mentally unstable because the Titans and Neo Zeon are both a bunch of incompetent psychotic assholes

I'm not sure that's really a problem, because the alternate is someone who is perfectly normal and just becomes a better pilot purely because of an external system, which is kind of boring. You can make it more than that obviously, but doing so kind of requires focusing on the pursuit of power in and of itself to some degree, in a way that Gundam generally doesn't want to do because it's not something it wants to portray protagonists as doing and it generally doesn't give that much weight to it's antagonists. Mika and the Barbatos' limiters are basically that, but portraying the price for power being insanity is a much simpler shorthand to give an antagonist.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ohtori Akio posted:

personally im thinking of allenby going murder death kill style when the mad scientist pulls the lever

I can’t believe I didn’t go here first.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I can’t believe I didn’t go here first.

she's dramatically under respected. and frankly i blame you

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

tsob posted:

I'm not sure that's really a problem, because the alternate is someone who is perfectly normal and just becomes a better pilot purely because of an external system, which is kind of boring. You can make it more than that obviously, but doing so kind of requires focusing on the pursuit of power in and of itself to some degree, in a way that Gundam generally doesn't want to do because it's not something it wants to portray protagonists as doing and it generally doesn't give that much weight to it's antagonists. Mika and the Barbatos' limiters are basically that, but portraying the price for power being insanity is a much simpler shorthand to give an antagonist.

I'm talking about the concept from a Watsonian angle in universe not the meta textual Doylist one

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
From what we're shown, making a cyber newtype involves invasive brain surgery, and we don't know if there's any long term consequences to the process given that basically every cyber newtype we see on screen dies young and horribly, so I'd say digging around in peoples' heads to try to make them psychic is probably bad even if you don't intend to brainwash them and use them as superweapons.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ohtori Akio posted:

she's dramatically under respected. and frankly i blame you

I accept blame for remembering Wing, a bad show, before G Gundam, a very good show.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

loving around in people brains to give them entirely new senses that all develop at once instead of slowly seems like a recipe for bad times even with the best of intentions.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gaius Marius posted:

loving around in people brains to give them entirely new senses that all develop at once instead of slowly seems like a recipe for bad times even with the best of intentions.

It'll be fine.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Eh I mean we see that stable Cyber Newtypes are possible to make and the potential results are too good to just abandon the technology just because the first couple of groups to use it were moronic douchebags

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

El5n seemed pretty well adjusted, he was just crap as a pilot because he didnt want to die :3

El4n just wanted a birthday party.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
By that measure you could argue Suletta is a stable cyber newtype.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tsob posted:

But they don't just become a better pilot, Newtype abilities give them extrasensory connections to other human beings. you can absolutely tell stories about somebody who wants the Newtype power to be a better pilot, but then suddenly has to deal with the weight of human connection that gives them as a side effect.

I remember ages ago reading a sci-fi story about the US military putting these super advanced quantum computers in guided missiles, and at first they worked fantastically but after 6 months the missiles would become completely unpredictable, veering wildly off course or detonating in the tube for no reason. And eventually they figured out that after about six months those fancy new computers became self aware, but since they had no frame of reference for the world around them or even their own existence they had no idea what to do and would just act randomly in a way that was completely unintelligible to humans.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Cyber newtypes are also physically enhanced in several other ways (rosamia was able to breathe freely at ultra high cruising altitude in her first appearance, iirc) so god know how stable they are physically, even

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Marida could lift an entire child by the ankles

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tekkadan is an entire PMC of cyber-newtypes, if we're referencing other settings, and they're pretty stable.

AV hookups give enhanced spatial awareness, which is the CE shorthand for Newtypes, and Tekkadan's Brewers recruits are even given the closest thing the show gets to a Newtype speech.

("Born in space, and not afraid to die there. The chosen few, and proud of it.")

As for feats of strength, I think doing a one-handed chokehold of a 2 meter mountain of muscle beats lifting a small child.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf the power level of AV stuff seems to vary wildly based on how many times you got stabbed. mika's as good as he is because he got multiple but we see the boys who only got one struggling to keep up with him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Eh I mean we see that stable Cyber Newtypes are possible to make and the potential results are too good to just abandon the technology just because the first couple of groups to use it were moronic douchebags

Our biggest example of a "stable" cyber newtype is Gyunei, and I don't even think I'd really call him terribly stable given that he's kind of a hot mess in CCA even if he's not clutching his head and screaming about voices.

Gates Kappa is the other example people sometimes give, but we don't see enough of him to know if he's hosed up or not. Given that he's a Titans product, I'm betting he is.

Endorph posted:

tbf the power level of AV stuff seems to vary wildly based on how many times you got stabbed. mika's as good as he is because he got multiple but we see the boys who only got one struggling to keep up with him.

Not even just keep up, they can't even begin to approach him. Poor old one-whisker Dante tries to move the Barbatos once and nearly has a brain aneurysm. Akihiro can only kind of keep up because he's got two.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 15, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

It varies, but even one is enough to put you head and shoulders above all but the most skilled baselines. Human Debris with one whisker beats Gjallarhorn line troops even in the fleets that bother to train them well, and Eugene's ship piloting stunts are all done with one whisker.

I'll agree that two, three, or the setups Gjallarhorn uses are all much better than one, but even one is significant.

(It's also noted that Mika being such a beast is partially on him being, well, himself. His skills, experience, and complete disregard for his own safety are also major factors in him being so dangerous. Julieta's scenes often highlight this by showing that, despite her skills and her belief that she's got the same emptiness, she's normal, and in the end, accepting that is what saves her.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 15, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kanos posted:

Our biggest example of a "stable" cyber newtype is Gyunei, and I don't even think I'd really call him terribly stable given that he's kind of a hot mess in CCA even if he's not clutching his head and screaming about voices.

Gates Kappa is the other example people sometimes give, but we don't see enough of him to know if he's hosed up or not. Given that he's a Titans product, I'm betting he is.

Not even just keep up, they can't even begin to approach him. Poor old one-whisker Dante tries to move the Barbatos once and nearly has a brain aneurysm. Akihiro can only kind of keep up because he's got two.

Way I see it is that yes Gyunei is a creepy loser but he's stable in all the ways that actually matter as a pilot, he just had the misfortune of going up against someone like Amuro

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he might naturally be a creepy loser. you can't blame everything on being a cyber newtype.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he might naturally be a creepy loser. you can't blame everything on being a cyber newtype.

My thoughts exactly, his negative personality traits are a bit too mundane to be something you can blame on him being a Cyber Newtype, particularly when compared to "Most Divorced Man In The Universal Century" Carrozo "Iron Mask" Ronah where yeah he had probably always been a melodramatic nut but him becoming a Cyber Newtype was probably what ramped it up to 11 and made him want to murder everyone with chainsaw tentacles and exploding Beyblades

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Like I've said before conceptually Cyber Newtypes are a great idea, the problem in the execution is that most people who get converted into them are coerced into it, brainwashed, and/or already mentally unstable because the Titans and Neo Zeon are both a bunch of incompetent psychotic assholes

but if they don't do those things how will they ensure their expensive and powerful toy doesn't swap sides on them

better make the robot evil too just to be certain

Kanos posted:

wasn't mouar and some others in the jerid/scirroco exotic hair color harem cybernewtypes? they seemed pretty stable too, though i guess you can only say so much about someone who willingly ties themselves to jerid

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Was Chara Soon officially a cyber newtype? Because she must have been one for a while given how much drat hair she had. It would be very funny if she was just like that naturally, and it would probably make her one of the greatest pilots of the UC given what she was able to do.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Nessus posted:

Was Chara Soon officially a cyber newtype? Because she must have been one for a while given how much drat hair she had. It would be very funny if she was just like that naturally, and it would probably make her one of the greatest pilots of the UC given what she was able to do.

When she returns to ZZ, they talk about her “training” and I think even enhancement, so possibly. If she was a Cyber Newtype, she’d be the only person made more sane by that treatment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the Geymalk it's a great mobile suit design and it's a shame it doesn't get more love. Crazy pilot, crazy beam spam and an absolute unit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nessus posted:

Chara and Mashymre both were both oldtypes but were turned into cyber newtypes at some point before the climax of ZZ.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Mashymere becoming a Cyber Newtype is maybe the second biggest downgrade in the Gundam I’ve watched (the first is the Hyaku-Shiki to Delta Plus pipeline).

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arc Hammer posted:

I like the Geymalk it's a great mobile suit design and it's a shame it doesn't get more love. Crazy pilot, crazy beam spam and an absolute unit.

I admire any funnel equipped unit that puts funnels in its funnels.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/fray2free/status/1690962852851613697?s=20

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

but if they don't do those things how will they ensure their expensive and powerful toy doesn't swap sides on them

better make the robot evil too just to be certain

wasn't mouar and some others in the jerid/scirroco exotic hair color harem cybernewtypes? they seemed pretty stable too, though i guess you can only say so much about someone who willingly ties themselves to jerid

See my previous post about how I'm approaching this from a purely in universe angle

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

See my previous post about how I'm approaching this from a purely in universe angle

me too?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Arc Hammer posted:

Same, it's one of my favorite UC designs and it shows up so rarely in games and I don't think it's had a kit since the 90's. The old 1/144 kits are insanely expensive online too, it's real sad.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Tekkadan is an entire PMC of cyber-newtypes, if we're referencing other settings, and they're pretty stable.

AV hookups give enhanced spatial awareness, which is the CE shorthand for Newtypes, and Tekkadan's Brewers recruits are even given the closest thing the show gets to a Newtype speech.

("Born in space, and not afraid to die there. The chosen few, and proud of it.")

As for feats of strength, I think doing a one-handed chokehold of a 2 meter mountain of muscle beats lifting a small child.

They're not the same at all. Newtypes and their Cybernetic cousins can sense outside of their selves and to other human beings, and by this I mean actual humans e.g. The Soul rather than mortal bodies. The ability for this to also be used to control funnels and the like is incidental. The AV system allows one to interface with the Gundams as if they were limbs, and you could say that the ability of say Mika to flip his Barbatos tail around is superhuman, but when you think about the layer of interface it's really more like learning to flex your eyebrows or pecs. With the barbatos replacing in effect the body, you're translating your mind and souls movement intentions to a differing frame but not affecting other bodies in the attempt, merely shifting what a body is in your minds frame of reference.

IBO tends towards dehumanization of transhumanism, with Mika and with Ein especially. Their human forms are gradually corrupted into mechanical monstrosities as the desperation of their lives forces them into a more bestial existence; there is no counterpoint made to show positive uses of AV aside from killing the MA's, even potential ones we can envision easily like deep space exploration governed by Einized bodies launched into the aether. . Early UC is positive on transhumanism as a concept and negative in it's execution, closer to The Stars my Destination or whatever Cyberpunk tale you'd prefer with wonder technology being misapplied towards awful ends.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
AV system and Ein especially are closer to a 40K Dreadnought than they are to Cyber Newtypes.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

they're cybernewtypes in the sense that they are the bad kind of transhumanism, where the enhancements are done to the detriment of the person receiving them, which i think is the actually important part of the cybernewtype trope if you're looking cross-timeline

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

they're cybernewtypes in the sense that they are the bad kind of transhumanism, where the enhancements are done to the detriment of the person receiving them, which i think is the actually important part of the cybernewtype trope if you're looking cross-timeline

The distinction is between Cyber Newtype harming the potentiality of the person in question as well as our race as a whole while AV harms the person as they are in individuality.

The level of perversion of personhood is similar in micro and startlingly different in the macroscopic view.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
People were mentioning Thunderbolt on the previous pages, and I just need to say that the AC-Guy tactical squad in Bandit Flower is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Absolutely nails that rpg/Xcom vibe to squad building.

My gunpla dream is to make something like that but with Zakus.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjewtsu posted:

All Cyber Newtypes have exotic hair colors (so far as I recall), but not every character with an exotic hair color is a Cyber Newtype. There's no indication Mouar was a Cyber Newtype, for instance.

Gaius Marius posted:

The distinction is between Cyber Newtype harming the potentiality of the person in question as well as our race as a whole while AV harms the person as they are in individuality.

How do Cyber Newtypes harm the potential of humanity as a whole in any specific way? The most I can see is generalized arguments about them taking resources from other avenues, being used to hurt others etc. Which is just as true of a lot of other things, including AV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

The distinction is between Cyber Newtype harming the potentiality of the person in question as well as our race as a whole

:confused:

cybernewtypes aren't messing with genetics to my knowledge?