Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

There's Something Wrong With The Children went up a whole letter grade by having a Sisters of Mercy's "More" needledrop within the first 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

It's kinda surprising how little gothic rock is actually featured in horror movies. The real standouts are Return of the Living Dead (prominently featuring 45 Grave, plus other goodies on the soundtrack) and Bauhaus popping up in The Hunger. Doomsday's use of Siouxsie's "Spellbound" is another memorable one.

there's a Bauhaus goth dance scene in Night of the Demons too if i'm remembering right

edit: beaten

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Also, Hellraiser has one of my favorite scores, not only for horror but for just about any film.

Favorites include the waltz theme while Frank is emerging from the attic floor goop, and the creepy piano notes during the montage where Julia is dispatching an assortment of punters and feeding them to Frank.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Class3KillStorm posted:

Last page, but the third act of Child's Play 3 takes place at a fair, and it's probably the series' best.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Forget it, Jake. It’s CineD.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

That was one of the dopest haunted house rides ever put on screen, even if it was wildly unbelievable, and the mountain of fake skulls Andy has to scramble over is metal as hell. Plus, I always preferred the bit about throwing Chucky into the giant fan blades over all of the ridiculous poo poo that they had to do to get rid of him in the first two movies. (I know everyone's gonna talk up the ending to CP2, and I get it; it's the solid silver medal here. The Good Guys factory setting for the previous movie finale was a good idea, but I felt it just looked a little too same-y with that one box design being stacked everywhere, and it felt like they didn't do quite enough to capitalize on the rest of it.)

Honestly, I love the Chucky film series, but final acts are not exactly its specialty.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I started that conversation because I feel like a lot of horror soundtracks wind up feeling very same-y. A majority of them are trying to do the same poo poo, e.g. be vaguely spoopy or provide stings, so they kind of just do that in the obvious ways over and over.

Just once, I want some action-horror murder nonsense set to Jerusalem Ridge.

I don't think that's such a big ask.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Slaughterhouse has an absolutely amazing soundtrack for what is a very silly slasher. The entire thing sounds like a lost New Order album.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just saw Slaughterhouse a few months ago, and apparently the filmmakers really believed that Buddy Bacon was going to be the next Freddy Krueger or Jason Voorhees. Unbelievable.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I just saw Slaughterhouse a few months ago, and apparently the filmmakers really believed that Buddy Bacon was going to be the next Freddy Krueger or Jason Voorhees. Unbelievable.

Hey you miss a hundred percent of the shots that you don’t take!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hmm maybe I should watch Slaughterhouse

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It's a blast. Terrible nonsense dialogue (very fun), kickass soundtrack, and all the best intentions but overall a goofy not-very-good slasher. Just be warned that the opening credits is legit real slaughterhouse footage of pigs being killed. Very hard to watch but I respect it for being bold.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Good Horror Posters

The original Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Halloween all also have amazing posters.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

We're poster posting? I love poster posting

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 14, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Jean Rollins films have some kick rear end posters.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

I started that conversation because I feel like a lot of horror soundtracks wind up feeling very same-y. A majority of them are trying to do the same poo poo, e.g. be vaguely spoopy or provide stings, so they kind of just do that in the obvious ways over and over.

Just once, I want some action-horror murder nonsense set to Jerusalem Ridge.

I don't think that's such a big ask.

I was wondering about jazz. is there a horror soundtrack that’s all jazz? nothing is coming to me right now. I sort of vaguely remember Ganja & Hess running the gamut of Black music, like there’s some Afrobeat, some gospel…

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I was wondering about jazz. is there a horror soundtrack that’s all jazz? nothing is coming to me right now. I sort of vaguely remember Ganja & Hess running the gamut of Black music, like there’s some Afrobeat, some gospel…

sort of horror-adjacent, but the scifi movie High Life has a really lovely offbeat jazzed out woodwind / horn / string soundtrack

also Twin Peaks

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rosemary’s Baby, Martin

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Taxi Driver.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When I was in college I remember that one of the professors talked about how neo-noir (and noirish) films like Taxi Driver created the misconception that OG noir films had Jazz soundtracks when most of them had typical orchestral soundtracks as jazz was still a bit too counterculture in the 40s and 50s to be in most Hollywood films.

I have no idea how accurate that is but it feels like more of the post 50s noir films I've seen have a lot of sax than the classics which has led to people feeling like every noir film had a smoky jazz soundtrack.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I think Bucket of Blood has a jazz soundtrack, IIRC the villain is a beatnik artist/sculptor.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

imagining a skarror film and smiling serenely

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Made this weapon for Art

After I finished I realized it was inaccurate lol

Oh well

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

When I was in college I remember that one of the professors talked about how neo-noir (and noirish) films like Taxi Driver created the misconception that OG noir films had Jazz soundtracks when most of them had typical orchestral soundtracks as jazz was still a bit too counterculture in the 40s and 50s to be in most Hollywood films.

I have no idea how accurate that is but it feels like more of the post 50s noir films I've seen have a lot of sax than the classics which has led to people feeling like every noir film had a smoky jazz soundtrack.

Yeah, it's pretty accurate. There's a few here and there, most notably Elevator to the Gallows, but it's primarily a neo-noir thing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Manos: Hands of Fate

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, it's pretty accurate. There's a few here and there, most notably Elevator to the Gallows, but it's primarily a neo-noir thing.

Probably shouldn't let it go uncommented that the Elevator To The Gallows score is by the incomparable Miles Davis.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Fire Walk With Me has a good chunk of jazz on the soundtrack from what I remember

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

imagining a skarror film and smiling serenely

Directed by Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, who played guitar for Link 80.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Poster Talk

I love for textless/knife stab version of "The Final Chapter" so much have it framed and hung up in my work office:

Yes, it bugs me that the mask is reversed and yet the knife is going through the [correct] eye. I get it in terms of composition, but as a series fan *shake fist*

Two other mainstreams I love:

*See also: the use of "Say My Name" in the trailer(s)

But there's also a special group of posters - VHS box art. I didn't like horror as a kid, so seeing them on the shelf at the video store was like looking at forbidden tomes. I'd peek at them through my fingers and then try to see if the pictures on the back were so scary that I'd have to put the box right back:

Are they good art? Maybe a couple. But are they a sweet nostalgia? Yes. Very yes.

Naked Man Punch fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 15, 2023

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I have this one

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That Ghoulies poster has to be one of the biggest let downs of a horror movie poster ever made.

Post posters that are loving liars.

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for the people recommending Isaac Rodriguez. It was a breath of fresh air to see some tubi found footage that at least stood out in some way. I feel like he's got an okay movie in him. Deadware was ok, charming in like an e-demon way. Mister Creep I just found incredibly obnoxious and lame (honestly hated it but the old lady scene was fun though). Woah what if the killer was Heath Ledger Joker with jigsaw's doll :unsmigghh:
It led me to watch a random solid Russian horror comedy found footage film called Shopping Tour on tubi as well, actually kinda solid. It's cheap found footage where the characters and build up feel convincing and interesting (just following around Russians trying to tour Finland is already more interesting than 99% of cheap American found footage first act story buildup), and I thought parts of it were genuinely pretty funny. I don't want to overstate things, it's like a C+ or B- and it needed more scares but there's touches of The Wicker Man, with a healthy dose of political satire and skewering of Civilized Europe.

Still gotta watch the fear footage trilogy. Gonna check out Skyman first, seems promising.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 15, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
gently caress, I had the worst cinema experience watching Talk To Me the other night. A large group of people decided that the foot sucking sequence was the funniest thing ever, which, whatever, but then they took it as their cue to just make noise and loudly bag out the last half of the film. It started when one person decided to just start making "spooky" noises over things and wouldn't shut the gently caress up and a few others got involved.

Everyone was fairly unsettled before then anyway, talking to each other or checking their phones. One dude was browsing for fridges. And then when the film was over another dude deliberately dumped his leftover tub of popcorn into his chair.

I guess the film was fine? Kinda spooky in the first half and some decent laughs anyway.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
This is the first time that I've recognized the guy on the The Thing poster is wearing a parka, and doesn't just have crazy frizzed out hair.

I saw the poster many many times before ever watching the movie so I just always had that impression stuck in my head.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

gently caress, I had the worst cinema experience watching Talk To Me the other night. A large group of people decided that the foot sucking sequence was the funniest thing ever, which, whatever, but then they took it as their cue to just make noise and loudly bag out the last half of the film. It started when one person decided to just start making "spooky" noises over things and wouldn't shut the gently caress up and a few others got involved.

Everyone was fairly unsettled before then anyway, talking to each other or checking their phones. One dude was browsing for fridges. And then when the film was over another dude deliberately dumped his leftover tub of popcorn into his chair.

I guess the film was fine? Kinda spooky in the first half and some decent laughs anyway.

After a pandemic period of empty or near-empty theatres I loving hate going to movies with people now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I have this poster for Destroy All Monsters framed on the wall behind me right now.

This is why I'm so glad to benefit from a job with unsociable hours: I can go to the movies at lunchtime on a weekday so it's just me and the old folks. Every time for the past few years I've went to a busy screening, something like this has completely ruined it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

flashy_mcflash posted:

After a pandemic period of empty or near-empty theatres I loving hate going to movies with people now.

I don't know if it was just the theater chain I work for or all major theaters, but for a disconcerting while after reopening, in the pre-show/trailers, we did have a kinda PSA thing reminding people how to behave in public again. The no loud talking and turn your phones off I expected, but this mentioned things like no smoking/vaping and staying dressed. I still have people in complete shock over popular films being fully sold out.

Regarding the bad behavior, I can't stress this enough but please let the theater staff know about it right away so they can do something about it. You paid perfectly good money for a ticket, you shouldn't have to go through the bullshit of others being assholes. If the staff doesn't seem to care, go to a manager and keep on until someone does something or call the corporate line about it. Even the most common thing I deal with of 'someone's in my seat', speak up about it and it will get sorted out. Too many times I've had people mention it after the movie or when they've decided they're going to leave and when I ask why didn't they let us know before, they say they didn't want to be a bother or they didn't want to cause trouble. We have staff that it will totally make their day to step in and resolve things. There's been times where we've sent staff to go sit in a showing to keep an eye on things because we take this seriously. If the troublemaker/s kick up a fuss, not your problem, we're paid and trained to deal with this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Shopping Tour kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
just finished malignant and yeah its kickass