Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
studios attempt to force writers to also act. bonus points if it triggers an immediate follow-up strike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So what would it mean, realistically, for any new or pending productions if WGA gets a deal signed while SAG-AFTRA's still on strike? Even if the writers are back on board, I can't imagine much will actually happen while the actors refuse to work.

WGA and SAG-AFTRA are aligned on the core issues of streaming residuals and AI, so a deal with one union will get the AMPTP close to a deal with the other.

As far as production is concerned, it all begins with the writers anyway so the studios will be happy to have content ready to shoot.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

WGA writers can work on productions that get filmed abroad with foreign actors, too.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

yeah ok

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

It is actually back.

Which is great, because I didn't want to have to explain to my kids (who love the show) where it went.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

quote:

Hollywood studios have made a new offer to striking screenwriters that includes concessions on issues such as the use of artificial intelligence and access to viewer data, according to people familiar with the discussions.

The Alliance of Motion Picture & Television Producers, which represents big media companies such as Warner Bros. Discovery Inc. and Paramount Global, has agreed to ensure humans are credited as writers of screenplays, rather than replacing them with artificial intelligence. The companies will also share data on the number of hours viewed on streaming services, so writers can see how popular their programs are, according to the people, who asked not to be identified discussing private negotiations.

Netflix Co-Chief Executive Officer Ted Sarandos has emerged as a strong force seeking to reach a deal with the writers, according to the people. More recently Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger has joined him in pressing for an agreement.

The Writers Guild of America, which represents some 11,500 scribes nationally, went on strike May 2, seeking higher pay and other changes to a contract they said hadn’t kept pace with the rise of streaming TV and other technologies. The strike, coupled with one by screen actors that began in July, has largely shut down production of new films and scripted TV shows.

The guild and the studios met on Aug. 11, when the new terms were delivered. They’re scheduled to meet again Tuesday to discuss the union’s response.
Other parts of the offer include a better-than-20% increase in residual payments made to writers when their shows appear on networks other than the original one they were made for. They’ve also proposed salary increases and a minimum duration of work for writers in “mini-rooms,” where a smaller number of scribes work before a show is picked up or renewed.

The studios are offering a 5% hike in base pay in the first year, an increase from their previous 4% offer. The writers have been asking for a 6% raise in the first year of the three-year contract.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sounds somewhat promising!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Don't see anything in there about streaming residuals. The mention of the 20% increase says networks other than the one a show originally aired on. Maybe releasing the hours viewed data will be playing into a new residual structure?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
No, no, you misunderstood. We said we'd let you see the data, we never agreed to any sort of remuneration based on it.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Feels like the AMPTP leaked this so they can say "look how generous we're being, these writers are so greedy!" WGA made it clear to members that they wouldn't be sharing details until there was something worth sharing.

The 20% residual bump would only be meaningful for network & cable, and no writers are complaining about those residuals. It still doesn't address the streaming problem -- for a show produced by Netflix that airs on Netflix, there would be no pay bump.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sounds somewhat less promising!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It's a negotiation. No one's going to get everything they wanted, this isn't a children's book.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Plus, these are, you know, negotiations plural. Nothing is final until both sides agree.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The 5% raise is the obvious non-controversial one because I assume the WGA expected 5 from the start.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If they offer 4 and you ask for 6, you absolutely expected 5.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/1691909149729439757

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
At this point, what parent company (& Disney) would suffer the most from a drawn out pair of strikes? National Amusements can't show movies in theaters so they'd have to lean on their unscripted TV shows across the US (CBS), UK (5) and Australia (10)

WBD (the Discovery part) is mostly built on reality TV but they're so deep in debt that they'd need 50 films to gross a billion so odds are they'd sell themselves to a insane billionaire or some other corporation

Disney likely would lean on theme parks, non-union TV, nuclear armaments and sports rights to weather the storm.

Columbia and Universal are owned by Sony and Comcast and neither have film/TV as their main business. It'll hurt but won't kill them. Comcast already employs Lovecraftian horror in their company.

Netflix will likely import any foreign drama under the sun and hope that some are astro... I mean go viral.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Any of the companies that own regular TV channels that have to sell ads to advertisers. So NBC/Universal, Disney (ABC), Fox, Viacom/CBS. The companies that are streaming-only can conceivably hold out longer.

WBD gutted scripted programming from their cable channels last year so I don't imagine that they will have as many issues even though they own TBS/TNT, etc.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

lol that's been the main sticking point with the writers I know. They're hyper-aware of further opportunities and advancement being nil if mini-rooms become/remain the norm.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

lol that's been the main sticking point with the writers I know. They're hyper-aware of further opportunities and advancement being nil if mini-rooms become/remain the norm.

Yeah literally every writer I know is in favor of the minimums. Maybe they’ll let auteur showrunners apply for waivers or something as long as it’s a miniseries. I’m fine with Craig Mazin writing all 5 episodes of Chernobyl, but Taylor Sheridan writing 47 episodes of Yellowstone is unnecessary and dumb. (oh yeah plus 18 episodes of the prequels).

Also this is like the 4th or 5th time the AMPTP has agreed to media blackouts and then just leaked poo poo as soon as they think they have a talking point to cling to.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Argyle posted:

but Taylor Sheridan writing 47 episodes of Yellowstone is unnecessary and dumb. (oh yeah plus 18 episodes of the prequels).

Why though?

As far as I undertand it, he just likes to work like that, is well compensated for it and doesn't take advantage of anyone else doing it this way.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yeah about that...
https://twitter.com/palmerrachelc/status/1691950282442457597

It's not specifically calling out Sheridan, but given the amount of shade being thrown his way on twitter right now it seems safe to say it's about Sheridan.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Argyle posted:

but Taylor Sheridan writing 47 episodes of Yellowstone is unnecessary and dumb. (oh yeah plus 18 episodes of the prequels).

I mean, out of 110 episodes in Babylon 5, J. Michael Straczynski wrote 92 of them, and that show turned out pretty well.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Yeah about that...
https://twitter.com/palmerrachelc/status/1691950282442457597

It's not specifically calling out Sheridan, but given the amount of shade being thrown his way on twitter right now it seems safe to say it's about Sheridan.
A minimum staff size doesn’t solve this problem. If a showrunner wants to take credit for unpaid people’s work, they can still do it.

It’s a pretty bad idea imo. Hiring writers for the sake of it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Seems like an uncharitable way to frame it and even so... Oh no... People getting jobs.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Vegetable posted:

A minimum staff size doesn’t solve this problem. If a showrunner wants to take credit for unpaid people’s work, they can still do it.

Alternatively, it's a means of ensuring that workloads stay manageable while preserving opportunities for writers with less experience.

Timby posted:

I mean, out of 110 episodes in Babylon 5, J. Michael Straczynski wrote 92 of them, and that show turned out pretty well.
Related to the above, the 90ish episodes of other shows he had written over the previous decade probably contributed to his ability to do this. If producers and studios are pushing for smaller writing rooms, you're removing the opportunities for upcoming writers to gain the experience necessary to contribute in those rooms and perhaps eventually run their own shows.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Palmtree Panic posted:

Netflix renewing Glow and then cancelling it made me just kind of give up on their service.

It’s hard to get interested in trying their new shows if they’re only going be around for two seasons at most.

They did this with The Society and it really pissed me off. That show was much better than I expected and I was really happy that they renewed it. Netflix got me looking forward to season two and then cancelled it not long after they renewed it.

What the gently caress, Netflix? :mad:

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

GaussianCopula posted:

Why though?

As far as I undertand it, he just likes to work like that, is well compensated for it and doesn't take advantage of anyone else doing it this way.

Timby posted:

Vegetable posted:

I admit I was a little grumpy and sleep-deprived when I posted. I was speaking from my own experience working in comedy, which is much more collaborative than drama. Having a big room full of diverse perspectives is great for comedy writing. Drama writing is a lot more individually-focused, but there’s still a lot of collaboration with breaking stories and coming up with season arcs. And yes, I realize that it was dumb to cite 2 drama shows when I’ve never worked in drama.

Minimum staffing is necessary because rooms are getting smaller every year, and the studios would be thrilled to only hire one writer per show if they could get away with it. And according to our old contract, they can! There’s nothing in the contract that requires any form of writers room, period. That’s a loophole that the studios are exploiting more and more every year, and we can’t let them endlessly eliminate writing jobs.

That said, a lot of my favorite shows have come from solo writers, and I don’t want those writers to feel handcuffed to a staff that they’re not even going to use.

I think a possible solution would be in the form of waivers, where an auteur showrunner can ask the guild for an exception to the staffing minimum. I don’t know if that means they can truly work alone, or they’re only obligated to hire a couple part-time consulting producers, or what. Showrunners are in charge of hiring anyway, so there wouldn’t be anyone in the room that they don’t want to be there.

This is a problem that exists right on the front lines of art vs. commerce — how do we allow these types of writers to make the best product they can, while still protecting jobs and preventing the studios from exploiting tiny rooms. These auteur TV writers are a small minority and I think their creative wishes can be respected, but the Guild has to be very careful about carving out exceptions to rules that would otherwise benefit the rest of the members. The bottom line is that 99% of shows on TV have a staff, and 99% of showrunners want a good-sized staff. The Guild wants to ensure that one-writer-per-show doesn’t become the norm instead of the exception.

edit: At the end of the day I don’t personally care if Taylor Sheridan wants to write 100 episodes of Yellowstone all by himself. But I do take issue with him loudly complaining in the press that hiring a writing staff is bad, actually, while the Guild is fighting to protect the other 99% of working TV writers. Some of my friends haven’t worked in over a year because of the mini room epidemic.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 17, 2023

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Argyle posted:

I think a possible solution would be in the form of waivers, where an auteur showrunner can ask the guild for an exception to the staffing minimum. I don’t know if that means they can truly work alone, or they’re only obligated to hire a couple part-time consulting producers, or what. Showrunners are in charge of hiring anyway, so there wouldn’t be anyone in the room that they don’t want to be there.

I can totally see situations where studios will take advantage of that, such as telling a writer that if he does the whole season by himself they'll give him triple the money plus extras or something, making it a huge conflict of interest. So the waiver thing might not fly or would need to be heavily monitored and potentially discouraging financially.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

...! posted:

They did this with The Society and it really pissed me off. That show was much better than I expected and I was really happy that they renewed it. Netflix got me looking forward to season two and then cancelled it not long after they renewed it.

What the gently caress, Netflix? :mad:
i think kingdom was the other way around where they cancelled it around the time i was getting into season 1/2 - and still released a bunch of seasons after? which made me stop watching a show i was intereste in

netflix just seems uniquely awful in communicating any of this. on top of even promoting movies and tv shows that are actually premiering

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Background actors say they're already losing work to AI.

quote:

About five years ago, Nicole Kreuzer had a brief stint on The Mandalorian, a space Western that is part of the Star Wars franchise. She remembers dressing as a desert dweller and a set that was “very space punk, very industrial.” During her time there, the actors’ phones were locked away to safeguard production details. Then, without notice, she was told to undergo scanning. In a trailer, she stood on a platform while more than 100 cameras captured her digital likeness, all under the direction of a disembodied male voice. She asked what would be done with the images. “We can make you leap over buildings. We can make you fight,” she recalled the voice saying.

The use of artificial intelligence in the entertainment industry has become one of the central issues for striking actors and writers, with both groups demanding more guardrails around the evolving technology. Actors say their scanned images could later be used without compensation or consent. The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) says they support compensation and consent for use of actors’ images, but SAG-AFTRA wants more explicit requirements for actor consent.

Kreuzer works periodically as an extra, or “background actor.” Background actors have nonspeaking roles, and typically appear in the background of scenes. They are seen as the most vulnerable to being replaced by AI simulations (stars could demand large sums for use of their famous images). They also have little leverage to push back because many are dependent on background work for survival, and they can be more easily replaced.

Kreuzer said she felt pressured to agree to be scanned that day. She had been asked if she would be available for weeks of shooting, but she was never called again after she was scanned. “I wanted to refuse to do it. I felt uncomfortable,” said Kreuzer, whose bread-and-butter work is as a stand-in for 5’ 9” blondes.

AI represents “an existential threat” to the livelihoods of actors, said Duncan Crabtree-Ireland, the national executive director of the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA), at the July press conference announcing the strike. “Some actors fear a possible future in which studios will pressure them to sign away their likeness, and their digital double will take work away from them,” a recent Scientific American article on the topic noted.

That future may have already arrived. Kreuzer said that she had been led to believe that she would receive a “whole lot of work” from the science-fiction series. “That was what they were kind of dangling in front of us,” she said. That promise influenced her decision to get scanned. “If I had said no to the scan and they sent me home that day, I would have never been called back. But they never called me back, anyway,” she said. Her pay for the day was $170. Because her phone was locked up, she was unable to call her union to seek advice.

Knowing what she knows now, she would not have submitted to having herself scanned. She has no idea what was done with her digital replica. The experience left her unsettled, and deeply worried about the future of work in her industry.

Neither Lucasfilm, which produced The Mandalorian, nor Disney, its parent company, responded to requests for comment about their policy on scanning background actors.

Kreuzer is not the only one to say she was promised more work, only to see it vanish after body scans. Nor is she the only actor made to feel powerless on set. One actor told the Los Angeles Times last month that she hid in the bathroom during a production to avoid being subjected to a scan.

Background workers occupy the lowest rung of a ladder that reaches all the way up to stars like Tom Hanks and Viola Davis. They populate the streets and restaurants in films and TV shows to make those scenes vibrant and atmospheric. Their work is low paid and can be sporadic, with about 32,000 people working at least once as a background actor last year. For some, it is a side gig, and for others it represents their main source of income, said Kreuzer. They typically earn $187 for an eight-hour day and more with overtime.

If their jobs disappear, they won’t be the only ones to suffer. Makeup artists, prop masters, and costume designers who equip them for shoots will also lose work.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

ashpanash posted:

I can totally see situations where studios will take advantage of that, such as telling a writer that if he does the whole season by himself they'll give him triple the money plus extras or something, making it a huge conflict of interest. So the waiver thing might not fly or would need to be heavily monitored and potentially discouraging financially.

It’s the kind of thing that used to be governed by “good faith”, but the studios have made it clear that they’re no longer interested in good faith. They’re going to find and exploit every loophole in the contract unless we make some very carefully worded rules.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1692570822446137425
That seems like a very Charlie Kaufman thing to do.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No no, they just hosed up and didn't notice they were also interviewing Donald Kaufman.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
WGA West put out a report about how Disney, Amazon, and Netflix are 'the new gatekeepers'.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

AI-Created Art Isn’t Copyrightable, Judge Says in Ruling That Could Give Hollywood Studios Pause

Purely AI-generated art does not qualify for copyright protection, but “…work created with the help of AI can support a copyright claim if a human ‘selected or arranged’ it in a ‘sufficiently creative way that the resulting work constitutes an original work of authorship’”.

So this ruling keeps the doors open for studios to use AI as a tool. Have an AI spit out 10,000 ideas for a Spider-Man movie and make a human sort through it and cobble together a script.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Argyle posted:

AI-Created Art Isn’t Copyrightable, Judge Says in Ruling That Could Give Hollywood Studios Pause

Purely AI-generated art does not qualify for copyright protection, but “…work created with the help of AI can support a copyright claim if a human ‘selected or arranged’ it in a ‘sufficiently creative way that the resulting work constitutes an original work of authorship’”.

So this ruling keeps the doors open for studios to use AI as a tool. Have an AI spit out 10,000 ideas for a Spider-Man movie and make a human sort through it and cobble together a script.

The Copyright Office's guidance document on this is fairly readable (and makes a lot of sense to me). Section III is the most relevant part.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I really wish these strikes would end. A friend of mine works in costuming and is struggling and it's breaking my heart. Just pay the loving actors and writers

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I really wish these strikes would end. A friend of mine works in costuming and is struggling and it's breaking my heart. Just pay the loving actors and writers

Seriously, my wife’s in costumes and she’s working on her UK visa just to get work. She did turn down a permitted movie recently though because they wouldn’t let her hire an ACD or a key. Fuckin producers man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

How! posted:

they wouldn’t let her hire an ACD or a key.

lol jesus christ what is happening in this industry