Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PostNouveau posted:

I think it was 3d wordle

It was a 3D crossword and quantum wordle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
This all just feels really clumsy, cargo cult Futurama.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Episode wasn't bad....but it wasn't good either. Less jokes hit in this one. The Dune stuff was mostly lazy references.....which as a Dune fan......probably would have been more appreciated had there not been the new movie adaptation a year or so ago.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Android Blues posted:

- Nibbler's long what-I-learned wrapup being met with "good" and the Nibblonians signing off made me genuinely laugh. It works as a quick punchline, but also as a joke about how hokey his reasons for being on Earth actually are.

That was the only bit I laughed at, a pretty decent joke.

Cojawfee posted:

It was a 3D crossword and quantum wordle.

It was weird that right at the end of the episode her 3d crossword still had 2001 on it

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Android Blues posted:

I thought it was fairly okay, definitely a step up from last week. Thoughts:

- It's kinda weird that Nibbler kills a guy in a dog park at the start of this one.

They do explicitly show him wearing a baseball cap saying Yale Law and Groening famously hires writers who attended Harvard. Chalk it up to the staff teasing those who drink Foxon Park and little more.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Android Blues posted:

- It's kinda weird that Nibbler kills a guy in a dog park at the start of this one.

I want to say one of the Groening-affiliated writers hates Yale, but then I remembered the Itchy & Scratchy writer only complained about the "boorish manners of a Yalie."

Efb

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This episode really did nothing for me. Rehash of a previous episode and the Dune parody really didn't hit at all. Mostly because of how shallow it was, like the "Quiznos Cadillac" joke was dire.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Android Blues posted:

- Nibbler's long what-I-learned wrapup being met with "good" and the Nibblonians signing off made me genuinely laugh. It works as a quick punchline, but also as a joke about how hokey his reasons for being on Earth actually are.

That bit was funny.

Also, a nice reference to Mork from Ork is always welcome.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
The only good Dune joke/reference was in fact "worms within worms!"

I rewatched the movies before the new season and they were so much better than this, even Disenchantment is better than this (the elf name jokes in that are legitimately funny). I'll keep watching because I have a sickness that can only be managed by sci-fi cartoons.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The only one of the movies I've watched recently is Into The Wild Green Yonder and that one's a real mixed bag. The first act is basically just an episode about Bender dating the Donbot's wife that's pretty funny, and then there's an hour and ten minutes after that of mostly garbage. It's also pretty sexist throughout, which is a problem the show kinda always had sometimes, but which I think got a lot more pronounced in the movies/Comedy Central era.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

that episode was just depressing, I chuckled a few times but each episode just makes me feel like I'm in a hospital ward watching a friend on life-support. I just want them out of their misery

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
In a unfortunate bit of timing, my pooch had to be put down today. Boneitis was ruled out.

What episode does everyone here have as their funniest? Jurassic Bark is right out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sorry Island Nation :smith:

It's hard to pick an absolute funniest, but I'll go to bat for The Deep South from season 2. From the start "It's a fishing license.... and it's MANDATORY! :gonk:" all the way through the ending "Why couldn't she be the other type of mermaid, with the fish part on top and the lady part on the bottom!?!" it's just hilarious. The section with the house burning down underwater and the reveal it was Bender's cigar "that just raises FURTHER questions!", the little shake of the head about inviting Zoidberg to the Country Club, Fry chuckling smugly at Umbriel insisting that Atlanta is more than just a Delta Hub, it's just hilarious. Oh God, and the video about the celebrities who abandoned Atlanta: "Ted Turner, Hank Aaron, Jeff Foxworthy, The Guy Who Invented Coca-Cola, ....the Magician...."

Plus the commentary track is great too, especially with the one writer talking about trying to make the underwater stuff realistic because his dad is a marine biologist, and by the time they get to the fire the other commentators are screaming,"YEAH, gently caress YOU, DAD!" :lol:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 16, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How Hermes Requisitioned His Groove Back is always a fun one.

NJM
Jan 3, 2020

This episode really annoyed me with how it was obviously a sequel to the Fry gets worm episode from the beginning, and they never acknowledged it until the reveal at the end. There were a couple laughs, but it was pretty dreadful overall. Worst of the Hulu set so far. Speaking of the Atlanta episode, I did appreciate the return of "My Manwich!" though

I think my favorite episode is "Time Keeps on Slipping." An inventive premise that was used for some amazing smash cuts gags.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Island Nation posted:

In a unfortunate bit of timing, my pooch had to be put down today. Boneitis was ruled out.

What episode does everyone here have as their funniest? Jurassic Bark is right out.

That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that.

Agree with How Hermes Requisitioned His Groove Back and also Future Stock since you mention it. I also like the Roswell episode and the Time Keeps on Slipping, and the one where they get young.

I know Zoidberg episodes are divisive but I do also really like That's Lobstertainment and Why Must I Be a Crustacean in Love.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's Lobstertainment features one of the funniest things I have ever seen anywhere, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crmUfGfeOJ0&t=17s

That sound.... it's.... incredible.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Island Nation posted:

Funny that you mention boneitis. I've always thought that 'Future Stock' was one of....if not the funniest episodes of the entire series. Right off the bat with the throw away scene of random guy being proud of himself for noticing the similar shapes.....you know it's going to be a corker of an episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EziwShcBuoQ

Jerusalem posted:

That's Lobstertainment features one of the funniest things I have ever seen anywhere, ever.

Yeah....definitely one of the funniest scenes ever....in an episode that most people consider to be one of the worst of the original run. Goes to show just how consistently good the show was.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Zoidberg's line "Good MORNING Meester Vice President" was a running joke between me and a friend I used to work with, particularly during drunken nights out at the local bar.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
The Deep South probably has the most jokes I regularly reference, and How Hermes Requisitioned His Groove Back is a favorite as well. But it's a hard call, I don't have a clear favorite like with Simpsons.

By contrast, if you asked my favorite weirdo science fiction plot episode, I'd have to say The Farnsworth Parabox.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Zoidberg's line "Good MORNING Meester Vice President" was a running joke between me and a friend I used to work with, particularly during drunken nights out at the local bar.

Love that as well as,"The President is dead.... Congratulations, MEESTER President! :zoid:"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The part where Harold Zoid says "just because we're doing a drama doesn't mean there can't be comedy, throw a pie for God's sake!" and the next establishing shot has every single extra doing circus clown-level schtick is funny as hell.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And the winner, instead of any of the nominees, is the legendary Harold Zoid! :zoid:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Thanks for the suggestions. My sister named the dog Yogi due to her now husband being a huge Yankees fan so the episode with Hank Aaron could sort of work. I do have the DVD set (which I had in my Xbox when the massive blackout occurred one score ago this week) so no censorship there.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Calculon: "And you say you can guarantee me the Oscar?"
Bender: "Hey, I'll guarantee you anything you want!"

(later)

Calculon: "You said that Oscar was practically on my mantle!"
Bender: "Now you know why I used the qualifier 'practically'!"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

How Hermes Requisitioned His Groove Back is always a fun one.

This is my favorite.

Followed closely by Time Keeps on Slipping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRfdumTdChQ

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 16, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

War is the H Word is definitely up there if you're a big fan of Zappisms (normally for that I would recommend Amazonian Women in the Mood but that's and episode that aged pretty badly, all things considered) especially this all-timer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRkfDMChzlI

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

So I says, "Super collider? I just met her." And then they built the super collider. Thank you, you've been a great audience.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I rewatched Future Stock recently and lost it at:

Sell 100 soylent beans!
Buy 3,000 cornbellies!
200 canned whoop-rear end!
Three big bags of trash!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Aces High posted:

War is the H Word is definitely up there if you're a big fan of Zappisms (normally for that I would recommend Amazonian Women in the Mood but that's and episode that aged pretty badly, all things considered) especially this all-timer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRkfDMChzlI

My favourite part of ANY futurama episode is in Amazon Women in the Mood where they're hidden in the grass skirt and fry says "okay this is my plan" then the Amazonian goes "ugh, ugh ugh ugh ugh?"
With bender replying "that's the dumbest plan I ever heard"

No idea why I like it so much

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bender talking mad poo poo about the replacement bureaucrat while the others are horrified, he says,"She's behind me, isn't she?" and she replies,"No, I'm in front of you," and they pull out to show she was standing like 3 feet away directly in his line of sight the entire time never fails to crack me up.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That reminds me of “Time makes fools of us all” which I still say whenever I forgot to eat something before it goes bad.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I say that whenever I forget to send emails or call people

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Morbo: "Linda, what began as innocent fun ended in tragedy when a nuclear powered robot stripper suffered a catastrophic reactor meltdown. There is only 1 survivor."

Hedonismbot: "Everywhere I looked there were piles of bodies, and then the explosion struck!"

Easily my favorite joke in the entire series and it's not even close.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
All's Well that Roswell is one of my favorites. Fry becoming his own grandfather is great, especially the lengths he goes through to keep him alive. The followup episode with the Brains is great too because I live the line/delivery "Tell them Scooty Plus Junior sucks....:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gotta love any episode that includes both:

"Farewell! You will all be trapped in this dense, symbolist tome forever!"

AND

"THE BIG BRAIN AM WINNING, I AM THE GREETEST! NOW I AM LEAVING EARTH FOR NO RAISIN!"

coming from the same character :allears:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^That episode has absolutely ruined Baldur's Gate 3 for me

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha, not gonna be able to look at the Mind Flayers the same now that you've put that idea into my head :)

Will now also mentally project the voice of the Nibblonians onto the Githyanki!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It’s one of the more overused by fan bits but the neutral planet always gets me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bobjr posted:

It’s one of the more overused by fan bits but the neutral planet always gets me

I always say "Tell my wife I said hello" and no one ever picks up on it :(