Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

weg posted:

They encountered a problem and quickly became a solution.

JFC lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

weg posted:

They encountered a problem and quickly became a solution.

:captainpop:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It just goes to show what can happen if you concentrate really hard.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

trying to figure out how this belongs in the everest thread

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Go back a few pages and you'll find this thread was all about it when it was current events :shrug:

Thread already goes super quiet between summit seasons, so people look for any "rich hubris" content in a vacuum.

But the real answer is the OceanGate threads all were gassed so of course it ends up places like this thread instead.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 14, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its not the everest thread, its a plute oxygen deprivation thread

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tenkaris posted:

Go back a few pages and you'll find this thread was all about it when it was current events :shrug:

Thread already goes super quiet between summit seasons, so people look for any "rich hubris" content in a vacuum.

But the real answer is the OceanGate threads all were gassed so of course it ends up places like this thread instead.

The oceangate customers suffered from an acute lack of gas

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

This is the Thrillionaire Oxygen Deprivation Megathread

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

orange juche posted:

The oceangate customers suffered from an acute lack of gas

Though they did have access to plenty of oxygen and hydrogen.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Tenkaris posted:

seems pretty weird imo

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

seems pretty weird imo

It is our thread culture please respect it.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

What is diving but climbing in reverse?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trips for rich people that require dragging along oxygen tanks

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

weg posted:

This is absolutely not

Keep it on topic and if there's nothing to talk about regarding Everest then let the thread idle for a bit. It's not going anywhere but if it becomes the hangout for the Dead Billionaire Boner Brigade it will become oxygen deprived (gassed)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

imagine this,b ut the reverse happening, because you went too high up

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivFEOZpVBJc

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This is absolutely not

Keep it on topic and if there's nothing to talk about regarding Everest then let the thread idle for a bit. It's not going anywhere but if it becomes the hangout for the Dead Billionaire Boner Brigade it will become oxygen deprived (gassed)

Not trying to mod sass or anything, but this thread has traditionally switched to discussing other dumb things people do like caving and cave diving in between climbing seasons. It's what we everest thread denizens are used to, so you'll likely receive some pushback if you are saying we have to put an end to that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah it’s more “unwise extreme sports,” it’s never been about “this unknown billionaire got hit by a car, glory in his blood” if that’s the concern. We’ve had good conversations about Alone, rock climbing, cave diving, etc.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 15, 2023

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Tunicate posted:

Trips for rich people that require dragging along oxygen tanks

Millionaire Oxygen Deprivation Station

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Everest related question, with all the climbers Everest has killed has any loved one of a deceased tried killing Everest in revenge, or do like people just not do revenge any more?

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
If only there was a way to arrange a revenge expedition to crap all over it and leave trash everywhere....

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah it’s more “unwise extreme sports,” it’s never been about “this unknown billionaire got hit by a car, glory in his blood” if that’s the concern. We’ve had good conversations about Alone, rock climbing, cave diving, etc.

To build on this, it's a lot like how the OSHA thread isn't literally about the government agency, it's about unsafety in the workplace. This is about unsafety is extreme sports. Everest is just sort of the pinnacle of accepted unsafety.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This is absolutely not

how may i apply for membership to this group…..

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Leviathan Song posted:

This is about unsafety is extreme sports. Everest is just sort of the pinnacle of accepted unsafety.

Someones obviously never been in rich enough society to play hippopotamus polio.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

seems pretty weird imo

For $10,000 I'll carry you to the point

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
billionaires are people too elon bought a sign that said so

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

weg posted:

If only there was a way to arrange a revenge expedition to crap all over it and leave trash everywhere....

Yeah the Everest deaths are actually the mountain’s revenge already, when you put it that way

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

dr_rat posted:

Someones obviously never been in rich enough society to play hippopotamus polio.

Sounds like the hippopotami should've gotten their vaccines :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ilmucche posted:

Sounds like the hippopotami should've gotten their vaccines :(

Hippopotamus doctors have a very hard time holding syringes for obvious reasons. :(

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

weg posted:

One can dream

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I feel like I read about Nutty Putty cave at least once a year in this thread during the off-season.

Never stops being horrifying.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
The fact his body is still there and they've sealed of the entrance with concrete gives me the shivers more then anything. He never got out.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
he just doesn't want to share any of his top treasure

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ranbo das posted:

I feel like I read about Nutty Putty cave at least once a year in this thread during the off-season.

Never stops being horrifying.

I literally can't read that story again. I put that death in a tie with Hisashi Ouchi's as worst ever. I mean, I'm sure someone can pipe up with worse, but for me, those two take the title.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There has been longstanding concern in the mod forum and among posters who aren't regs here, that this not be a thread in which people just gleefully enjoy stories of death. The thread culture sometimes veers too close to that. I've been a part of it for years, I've argued this thread should exist and that for the most part what we're doing is decrying stupid pointless risktaking and especially risktaking that involves exploiting impoverished people in a poor country... but when folks are just posting about how gruesome deaths can be it can be hard for GBS mods to tell the difference.

If we want our thread to stick around we have to self-police a bit better. I agree personally that the topic is a bit broader than strictly Everest, but let's make it unequivocal that the topic is not just an especially bloodthirsty form of schadenfreude.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I've found if I don't like the content of a thread I just stop reading it.

Some of the E/N threads were kind of triggering and made me feel uncomfortable but I know the thread regulars wanted to keep posting and wouldn't appreciate me asking them to stop posting. I understand that dictating how people post across the entire forum based on my personal preferences is a dick move so I just unbookmarked the thread and never went back.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i really dont think comparing the grossness that occasionally happens in this thread with people describing their own trauma is an apt or at all reasonable comparison

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Outrail posted:

I've found if I don't like the content of a thread I just stop reading it.

Some of the E/N threads were kind of triggering and made me feel uncomfortable but I know the thread regulars wanted to keep posting and wouldn't appreciate me asking them to stop posting. I understand that dictating how people post across the entire forum based on my personal preferences is a dick move so I just unbookmarked the thread and never went back.

lol wtf. being triggered by personal stories because of personal trauma isn't the same as gleefully celebrating death

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

also "don't like? don't read". cmon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I agree personally that the topic is a bit broader than strictly Everest, but let's make it unequivocal that the topic is not just an especially bloodthirsty form of schadenfreude.

agreed