Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

SubG posted:

I think almost all of the SNES megaten games have an English translation patch available now. Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei, SMT 1 and 2, if..., the two SNES Majin Tensei games, and probably some poo poo I'm forgetting like some Last Bible games or something.

It's all of them. Last Bible III is the only other game on the system. Really, besides the bevy of mobile games, the only games without some form of English translation at this point in time are a bunch of the Devil Children games, Nine, and the OG Devil Summoner. Everything else either has an official translation, or a fantranslation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wait the if translated finished?

My God

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's been done for awhile.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Would anyone like to recommend the Raidou Devil Summoner games?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Rinkles posted:

The first one is pretty rough on a gameplay perspective, the second irons out a lot of the issue and also reuses like, 90% of the maps from the original anyway. You do not need to play the first to understand the second game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That's true but it's also one of those cases where warts and all I'm fonder of the original than the sequel

the soundtracks for both are loving god-tier though

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The tunes in both are powerful and Gouto owns

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man we went from too many smt games at once to not enough. I remember back in the days of having unlimited gaming time not even being able to get around to all the smt games across ds and ps2

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Rinkles posted:

In the first one you can have a telepathic conversation with a dog and tell him about your hopes and dreams

You make friends with a Tsuchigumo by giving it booze and then it lets you ride it around the overworld map as a boat

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
There's a naked bathhouse fistfight with a bunch of goons except Raidou keeps his cool hat on

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man we went from too many smt games at once to not enough. I remember back in the days of having unlimited gaming time not even being able to get around to all the smt games across ds and ps2

Back then they were all "console exclusive", so that needed a game for each one out there, but that went away as they made games for all consoles as well as porting/remaking the old ones.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Instant Grat posted:

In the first one you can have a telepathic conversation with a dog and tell him about your hopes and dreams

It's such an innocuous thing. That bit (endgame spoilers) where in the final dungeon that dog shows up again after having gone through the cycle of reincarnation and is super pissed at humanity unless you actually remember what you told it at the start is so good too.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m 17 hours deep into Strange Journey Redux and the game and gameplay is just sucking me right in. The storyline and characters are, so far, extremely interesting. I love the environments and exploration and of course i love the demons. I spent about two hours in The Ingress before realizing it was a Redux add on and completely optional.

I’m currently towards the end of the Bootes sector. How many more are there? Is there a way to acquire more than one Demon Source per demon?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

chaosapiant posted:

I’m currently towards the end of the Bootes sector. How many more are there?

Both very minor spoilers, but if you want to be as blind as possible...
Short answer: There are six more.
Longer answer: Depending on whether you go for old or new endings, there might be something in the range of eight more because of new dungeons.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I didn’t look into it, but I heard the Redux stories additions are dumb.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

chaosapiant posted:

I’m 17 hours deep into Strange Journey Redux and the game and gameplay is just sucking me right in. The storyline and characters are, so far, extremely interesting. I love the environments and exploration and of course i love the demons. I spent about two hours in The Ingress before realizing it was a Redux add on and completely optional.

I’m currently towards the end of the Bootes sector. How many more are there? Is there a way to acquire more than one Demon Source per demon?

If you've already acquired and used up a demon's source, you have a small chance to acquire a new one every time it levels up. Or at least, that was how it worked in the original; I don't know if they changed anything with that for Redux.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rinkles posted:

I didn’t look into it, but I heard the Redux stories additions are dumb.

I know I'm higher on Redux than some, but I thought they were very interesting attempts by the writing team to address criticisms of the original game/endings.

Do not know how they'd hit as your first go without that context, however.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Thuryl posted:

If you've already acquired and used up a demon's source, you have a small chance to acquire a new one every time it levels up. Or at least, that was how it worked in the original; I don't know if they changed anything with that for Redux.

This is good info, thanks!

Also worth mentioning as I continue to put hours into SJR: the soundtrack is phenomenal. Especially the Hanz Zimmer-esque theme when aboard the shiptank.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

This is good info, thanks!

Also worth mentioning as I continue to put hours into SJR: the soundtrack is phenomenal. Especially the Hanz Zimmer-esque theme when aboard the shiptank.

I still get the creepy aggressive moaning stuck in my head

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SJR's soundtrack is absolutely fantastic for setting this oppressive horrible atmosphere.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It is an amazing soundtrack. Being my first Megaten gam, it also gave me a pretty inaccurate impression of the style of music I should expect. Just another way SJ still stands out to me, though, even after all these years and other Megaten games.

I think SU still has my favorite normal boss music in the franchise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1lA-COyWYA

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

There's something about having one of your demons get walloped by a boss while that vaguely regal music plays really nails the vibe of you being, like, completely out of your league.

The normal battle also gives the vibe of a dramatic last stand against a horde of demons.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Does Redux have the smooth musical transition from demon talking to combat?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

don't much care for this one bit, if i'm being honest.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Behead nft participants.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

kaneko gets a pass

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

studio mujahideen posted:

kaneko gets a pass

nah. this blows.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

So Kaneko is alive?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Just going to ignore this
For Strange Journey music fans, from what little we've heard seems like Metaphor may have a similar style.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
how old is kaneko
is this elder abuse

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He's 58

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

he's not that old, just hasn't been involved in much for years, afaik

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
They dragged his rear end out of the flower field for this bullshit

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Sometimes people get really bad advice from someone they trust.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sometimes people like getting money for doing art and don't care what others do with it after

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

For all we know he was just paid a decent commission to draw public domain characters for use in some type of online game, and is not involved in the minting or trade of the blockchain tokens that came as a result.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

yeah im just naively assuming the guy is not online and doesn't know poo poo about this stuff

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
first thing to pop up on my feed today

the scariest thing about this is how loving incompetent PM's IT Staff is

https://twitter.com/PopMech/status/1691160243210797056?t=S8d6fW9TdZTIuAa9DBCsCQ&s=19

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
These lovely NFTs should be taken at face value, because speculating on Kaneko is foolish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

To this day its my fav smt, beautiful game. My fav music in the series for sure, and i do appreciate on a certain level every ending being kinda bad (well except the plus endings but eh whatever, i get why they were added)