Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Welp. I went to the showroom and tried out both chairs for a bit longer. The demo Mirra 2 did indeed not have a tilt lock. Not a big deal, but after 10 minutes in each chair I think I like the Embody more. And so I bought one :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

NFX posted:

Welp. I went to the showroom and tried out both chairs for a bit longer. The demo Mirra 2 did indeed not have a tilt lock. Not a big deal, but after 10 minutes in each chair I think I like the Embody more. And so I bought one :v:

one of us

one of us

one of us

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

NFX posted:

I think I like the Embody more. And so I bought one :v:
who could have foreseen

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

NFX posted:

One day we will get around to making a gang tag

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Embody Buddies

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Thanks Ants posted:

Embody Buddies
Embuddies

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

jesus christ

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012
Looking randomly through the thread I only see recommendations for a chair I can't afford

What would be a good chair for 200ish dollars? Costco has a couple online but I'd like some lumbar support.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Looking randomly through the thread I only see recommendations for a chair I can't afford

What would be a good chair for 200ish dollars? Costco has a couple online but I'd like some lumbar support.

I was once like you. Think of it this way.

A $200 chair every year or two is more expensive than one expensive chair that lasts 10-15 years and can be replaced under warranty that entire time.

Plus those $200 chairs will mess your back up something fierce. Add that cost on to the top of your bi-annual $200 expense.

It's an expensive chair for sure, but that $200 chair starts looking more and more costly over time.

Not that

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I was once like you. Think of it this way.

A $200 chair every year or two is more expensive than one expensive chair that lasts 10-15 years and can be replaced under warranty that entire time.

Plus those $200 chairs will mess your back up something fierce. Add that cost on to the top of your bi-annual $200 expense.

It's an expensive chair for sure, but that $200 chair starts looking more and more costly over time.

Not that

Are you saying the Aeron?

I understand paying for value and all that. I was looking at the refurbished chairs at Madison seating but I'm afraid of buying a very expensive chair that my not work for me.

I did find a Herman Miller store I may try to go to next weekend.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
To add to that, the thread recommendation for a budget chair is generally to try and find one of the common thread-recommend chairs used (office furniture liquidators, FBmarketplace, etc.)

Used is a decent plan here because the chairs we typically discuss come with 12 year warranties, even in 24/7/365 environments.

The warranties aren't transferrable, no, but the chair was engineered for that type of use and still expected to last that long.

Parts are typically easy to come by and not overly expensive, either, should you need something a few years down the road.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

UnhealthyJoe posted:

I understand paying for value and all that. I was looking at the refurbished chairs at Madison seating but I'm afraid of buying a very expensive chair that my not work for me.

I highly recommend and prefer the embody.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

UnhealthyJoe posted:

I'm not sure what Madison return policy is, but I think you might get extra protections if you buy from their eBay store maybe?

Definitely use the HM store to go sit in stuff! Tell them whatever you want, but most places seem to be fine with people coming in and trying to decide what will fit them best. Maybe just pretend that you'll buy from them "after you have enough time to make an informed decision" or whatever

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Zarin posted:

To add to that, the thread recommendation for a budget chair is generally to try and find one of the common thread-recommend chairs used (office furniture liquidators, FBmarketplace, etc.)

Liquidators are great, but unfortunately they're only a viable option if you live in or near a major city. You can occasionally find a home run on Marketplace et. al. but you have to be prepared to put in a lot of grinding legwork looking for it.

Unfortunately chairs are one arena where the Vimes "Boots" Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness is very real and very felt. If you just can't put up $1200 up front then you're going to pay more for your chairs and your chiropractor in the long run than the richer person who just pays the $1200 for the better chair.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

UnhealthyJoe posted:

I got the Alera Elusion from this post

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I've had my Steelcase Amia for about a week now and it's really nice. Took about a week to get used to sitting in something like this but it's super comfortable now. It's a bit cheaper than some of the high dollar ones so maybe that's an option. Still like 800 dollars from a place like Crandall though but cheaper than the real expensive ones.

e: it's so nice sitting in a chair for a long time and not being sore afterwards like all the poo poo chairs I used to sit in

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 7, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I note from that post that the Staples Hyken is on sale right now for $160+tax+shipping (so $200-ish). If your budget can't stretch beyond a few hundo then this chair is the best you're going to do in that range. Note that if you're heavy the mesh will sink over time so you'll want to also invest in a memory foam cushion or somesuch to help with that.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Zarin posted:

This is my recommendation as well. I'm fortunate enough to have a big office furniture liquidator where I live, and they get good used office chairs in pretty often.

If I had a 200 dollar budget, they have some black/tan Steelcase Leap V2's for 229 right now, they would be 250 after taxes, but would be an excellent choice. They have other task chairs from 20 to 400 dollars. No Aerons at the moment, but a good selection of Leap V2's from 229 to 299 depending on condition and color.

See if your closest metro area has some place like this and you might find a deal.

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012

skipdogg posted:

This is my recommendation as well. I'm fortunate enough to have a big office furniture liquidator where I live, and they get good used office chairs in pretty often.

If I had a 200 dollar budget, they have some black/tan Steelcase Leap V2's for 229 right now, they would be 250 after taxes, but would be an excellent choice. They have other task chairs from 20 to 400 dollars. No Aerons at the moment, but a good selection of Leap V2's from 229 to 299 depending on condition and color.

See if your closest metro area has some place like this and you might find a deal.

I'm in Denver and googling there seems to be one but I don't recognize any of the chairs in stock

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

UnhealthyJoe posted:

:sickos:

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
I just got a fully loaded Aeron Classic on ebay. I suspect I overpaid by what I'm seeing in this thread, but I'll make my peace with it, since returning it would be a pain. Anyway the chair is in great condition and I hope to have it for many years. Before that, I'd been sitting on a hand-me-down office chair and the difference is amazing. I thought I'd miss having a padded seat, but I don't. Let the farts flow

Only complaint is that I don't find the lumbar support comfortable at all. The pad dug into my back no matter how I adjusted it, so I just took it off. Now I forget that I'm sitting in an office chair for hours at a time. Best thing I've done for my spinal column in a while.

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012

Zarin posted:

Used is a decent plan here because the chairs we typically discuss come with 12 year warranties, even in 24/7/365 environments.

The warranties aren't transferrable, no, but the chair was engineered for that type of use and still expected to last that long.

Parts are typically easy to come by and not overly expensive, either, should you need something a few years down the road.

Looking around on Facebook marketplace and they are selling used ones around 400-500 but some have stickers that say they have been assembled in 2006.

Anyone buy a chair from Madison Seating? I just not sure if they are refurbished or what, not a ton of info. I think I'd rather grab one from there than the marketplace.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Looking around on Facebook marketplace and they are selling used ones around 400-500 but some have stickers that say they have been assembled in 2006.

Anyone buy a chair from Madison Seating? I just not sure if they are refurbished or what, not a ton of info. I think I'd rather grab one from there than the marketplace.

I've read complaints that they refurbish chairs with non-OEM substandard components. Like you might get an arm rest that will flake apart after a few years, that kind of thing.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
The issue with Madison is that they're not forthcoming with what they actually deliver, leading to a lot of variation in reviews. Most of their chairs are listed as open box, but what they really do as noted above is remanufacture/refurbish them with non-OEM parts. This doesn't necessarily mean they're worse than used chairs, but I frankly don't understand how they're allowed to continue always lying about the condition... maybe open box is an unregulated term they can just use for anything?

Anyway, there are other places that do this too (e.g. Crandall, BTOD) but charge more in exchange for being truthful, and probably having better customer service.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 8, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

UnhealthyJoe posted:

I'm in Denver and googling there seems to be one but I don't recognize any of the chairs in stock
denver absolutely has some office liquidation places. check craigslist

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Would you buy a return/display model Aeron from the Herman Miller outlet that looks new, plastic wrap still in the legs, but with no warranty for 850 or an actual new one with 12 year warranty for $1450?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’d probably save the 600 bucks. Parts are relatively easy to come by for the Aeron

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I’d probably save the 600 bucks. Parts are relatively easy to come by for the Aeron
I’m at the DWR warehouse in Brooklyn and the new sales associate said it cost $80 to ship a chair to Boston but the older guy at the desk said it costs $300 to deliver to Connecticut so probably way more to DC. Might as well buy a new one since they have a sale rn https://store.hermanmiller.com/gaming-chairs/aeron-gaming-chair/2521927.html?lang=en_US

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just bought an Embody off one of those office liquidation stores. $700, excluding taxes. I like it so far but the arms are a little looser than I expected. They jiggle. Maybe there’s a screw I can tighten.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Vegetable posted:

I just bought an Embody off one of those office liquidation stores. $700, excluding taxes. I like it so far but the arms are a little looser than I expected. They jiggle. Maybe there’s a screw I can tighten.

Yeah, the arms should be pretty solid outside of adjusting inwards or outwards. Even then it takes a little force to move the arms.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m at the DWR warehouse in Brooklyn and the new sales associate said it cost $80 to ship a chair to Boston but the older guy at the desk said it costs $300 to deliver to Connecticut so probably way more to DC. Might as well buy a new one since they have a sale rn https://store.hermanmiller.com/gaming-chairs/aeron-gaming-chair/2521927.html?lang=en_US
As a follow up, Herman Miller currently has a fully upgraded Aeron in the "gaming" version which is just the Onyx colorway for 20% off right now, so $1580 after tax and shipping. This is how I would spec an Aeron were I to buy it normally (Size C, Posturefit SL, adjustable tilt, fully adjustable arms, multisurface casters). The only difference is that I would go for the light grey since my desk/case/mouse are white, but that's not worth $600 extra since my monitors and keyboard/mousepad are black. When I went to the DWR store, the sales associate says they can do an extra 10% off if you order through them (they work off commission), but I'm not sure if that stacks on top. If it does, that would be $1430.

I checked FB Marketplace and CL and size C Aerons around me (previous gen with the lumbar pad) are about $400 with one listing for $300. I definitely plan on keeping the chair for the entire 12 year warranty. Is HM's warranty coverage worth the extra $1000-1300? I'm guessing not but the last thing I want is a used chair to break in 3 years and then I'll have to buy a new one for $1800 or whatever the higher price will be anyway.

Thoughts?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 14, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Josh Lyman posted:

As a follow up, Herman Miller currently has a fully upgraded Aeron in the "gaming" version which is just the Onyx colorway for 20% off right now, so $1580 after tax and shipping. This is how I would spec an Aeron were I to buy it normally (Size C, Posturefit SL, adjustable tilt, fully adjustable arms, multisurface casters). The only difference is that I would go for the light grey since my desk/case/mouse are white, but that's not worth $600 extra since my monitors and keyboard/mousepad are black. When I went to the DWR store, the sales associate says they can do an extra 10% off if you order through them (they work off commission), but I'm not sure if that stacks on top. If it does, that would be $1430.

I checked FB Marketplace and CL and size C Aerons around me (previous gen with the lumbar pad) are about $400 with one listing for $300. I definitely plan on keeping the chair for the entire 12 year warranty. Is HM's warranty coverage worth the extra $1100-1300? I'm guessing not but the last thing I want is the chair to break in 5 years and then I'll have to buy a new one for $1800 or whatever the higher price will be anyway.

Thoughts?

It’s not gonna break in 5 years and it it did, as long as you can transport the chair for repair the part and labor may only be a couple hundred.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inner Light posted:

It’s not gonna break in 5 years and it it did, as long as you can transport the chair for repair the part and labor may only be a couple hundred.
Not the new one but one of the used ones. They're probably 10 years old themselves at this point.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
If you’re gonna buy a new chair for around that price you should consider the Embody instead. It’s just way better for me as a size B dude.

I was able to get a much better deal via working with an HM sales associate so I do recommend exploring that route with your local store.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

brainwrinkle posted:

If you’re gonna buy a new chair for around that price you should consider the Embody instead. It’s just way better for me as a size B dude.

I was able to get a much better deal via working with an HM sales associate so I do recommend exploring that route with your local store.
Over the past week, I've spent about an hour each in Aerons and Embodys. They felt similar in terms of comfort but there are a few things I prefer about the Aeron:
-It's been around for a while so labor and parts seem cheaper (could be wrong about this)
-I prefer the arm adjustments on the Aeron, notably the ability to go forward/backward
-The Aeron has a wider back at the top which feels better if I'm leaning back, lounging in the chair and watching something on my computer
-But the big thing is the mesh. Even sitting in an Embody for 15 min, I can feel my butt and back warming up

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm a coward and went with a Mirra 2 instead of saving up more for an Embody because I'd already been sitting in one for years at work with no problems in a range of different postures. While in the showroom you only get so much time with it and it's not a fair comparison, and I wonder if I just had more time with it I might have liked the Embody more.

I ended up going with the devil I know and after a month I still think about how I should have upgraded my home chair sooner. No more sciatica flareups or, in the worst case when I'm stressed and hunched over the computer all night writing papers or studying for finals, my back locking up like iron. I can't wait to start doing deadlifts again.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just ordered an Aeron Gaming size C, which is the same as a regular with all the upgrades, just in a black Onyx color.

DWR (and HM) have 20% off living room and gaming, plus my Capital One card gave 8% bonus cash back. It'll never be cheaper.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Vegetable posted:

Mine wiggle back and forth a bit, but only when I specifically grab them to shake them. Otherwise they're relatively stable and it takes a reasonable amount of force to move from one detent to the other.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm a coward and went with a Mirra 2 instead of saving up more for an Embody because I'd already been sitting in one for years at work with no problems in a range of different postures. While in the showroom you only get so much time with it and it's not a fair comparison, and I wonder if I just had more time with it I might have liked the Embody more.

I ended up going with the devil I know and after a month I still think about how I should have upgraded my home chair sooner. No more sciatica flareups or, in the worst case when I'm stressed and hunched over the computer all night writing papers or studying for finals, my back locking up like iron. I can't wait to start doing deadlifts again.

Mirra2 is a perfectly fine chair!

Also I think "I've sat in one of these for years and I know for a fact it's going to work very well for me" absolutely cannot be discounted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

To all the new Embody owners, lift the arm before adjusting it in and out. It won't give any resistance or click along the stops