Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's just like that scene in Star Trek: The Next Generation where Data realises he can't outright beat that alien dude at 3D chess and the best he can do is draw even ..... then he realises he can just draw out the game indefinitely until the other dude forfeits in frustration. He doesn't get tired and he's not programmed to feel boredom so as long as he stays in the game he's going to win via attrition.

Covid also never gets tired or bored. :v:

Covid is the chess game. And, the careful people are playing against the risky people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nasty stuff

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Covid is playing chess, we're playing the maze from the children's menu MY neighborhood bar+grill, APPLEBEES.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

ibid posted:

I mainly posted it because I thought it was such a novel idea, but I'm not sure occam's razor would support non smart people rising to positions of massive power, over smart people rising to positions of massive power by demonstating their conformity with other people in those positions, and then that turning into a freakshow of them demonstrating their conformity by seeing who can be the most practically counterproductive as a competitive performance for the rest.

Yeah the idea that dumb people are getting into positions of power doesn't work unless being dumb offers a specific advantage or the process makes people dumb or the process makes them act in ways that make them look dumb. There has to be more to it than just random chance.

I'm more inclined to think the cruelty is the point though. You can't signal to the other elites that you have a soul or you're done. If you do something that helps the people then you risk them thinking you have a soul, even if the reason you're doing it is to secure power, preserve labor so you can continue to exploit it, or to stave off revolt. So the only options available to you are ones that gently caress over the little people, regardless of how much harm they cause to your seat of power. You drive people back into workplaces and schools unmasked because it clearly shows you value money over people's lives, even though in the long run you'd be better off monetarily with a healthy workforce.

Look what happened to Elizabeth Warren. She was very clearly pretending to adopt some of Bernie's platform just to secure votes but that was too much and she had to be taken down. She was supposed to say no you can't have nice things and get what she can with that.

I guess it's a bit like toxic masculinity, where some men will do things to signal they are masculine even if it ultimately hurts them. It's more important to the masculinity cult that you do the masculine thing than that you do the smart, self serving thing.

Phigs has issued a correction as of 06:54 on Aug 15, 2023

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Demilich posted:

I assure you my credentials are top of the line, and my diploma hangs on many fridges.
Please step into my office:

normalcy radiates from my posting

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Vox Nihili posted:

normalcy radiates from my posting

doctor wiggles weiner wagon is the most normal thing to be posted on these forums in several weeks

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
anyway, closing the thread at midnight

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

As always I'm thankful for this thread as a friend got got today and I informed them about everything they needed to know (which was all in the OP), including the Fauci special which I hope they pursue.

Hopefully they'll start masking but the fact that they weren't to begin with doesn't fill me with much hope.

fosborb posted:

anyway, closing the thread at midnight

gently caress your decision

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

Phigs posted:

I'm more inclined to think the cruelty is the point though. You can't signal to the other elites that you have a soul or you're done. If you do something that helps the people then you risk them thinking you have a soul, even if the reason you're doing it is to secure power, preserve labor so you can continue to exploit it, or to stave off revolt. So the only options available to you are ones that gently caress over the little people, regardless of how much harm they cause to your seat of power. You drive people back into workplaces and schools unmasked because it clearly shows you value money over people's lives, even though in the long run you'd be better off monetarily with a healthy workforce.

Look what happened to Elizabeth Warren. She was very clearly pretending to adopt some of Bernie's platform just to secure votes but that was too much and she had to be taken down. She was supposed to say no you can't have nice things and get what she can with that.

I guess it's a bit like toxic masculinity, where some men will do things to signal they are masculine even if it ultimately hurts them. It's more important to the masculinity cult that you do the masculine thing than that you do the smart, self serving thing.

I think that's likely it, class solidarity and also hierarchy maintenance.

quote:

The current research focuses on retribution, testing whether support for retribution is motivated by the desire to maintain social hierarchies. If so, then the retributive tendencies of hierarchy enhancers or hierarchy attenuators should depend on whether offenders are relatively lower or higher in status, respectively. Three studies showed that hierarchy attenuators were more retributive against high-status offenders than for low-status offenders, that hierarchy enhancers showed a stronger orientation towards retributive justice, and that relationship was stronger for low-status, rather than high-status, criminal offenders. These findings clarify the purpose and function of retributive punishment.

Retribution as hierarchy regulation.

https://sci-hub.se/10.1111/bjso.12219

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

The Demilich posted:

:(

well gently caress, sorry, just going to start a new thread. OP needs updated and that's done now

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Covid claims another one but this time it’s the whole covid thread 😔

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Posting on the pandemic page.

e: also winesap apples

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 07:35 on Aug 15, 2023

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
This will be the 7th iteration of the thread. hasnt been rebooted since Mar 2022

covering the following topics in the op:
covid tests
what to do when you get covid
vaccines
masks and corsi cubes

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Platystemon posted:

and also thanks to everyone earlier for the advice tips etc re picking over articles more. didn’t have anything in particular i needed to post, just trying to learn

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Platystemon posted:

e: also winesap apples

lol there should be more page call outs based on PLU codes

shart attack
Aug 15, 2023

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

the WHO stopped naming COVID variants after Omicron. Even EG.5 is technically "just" a subvariant of Omicron. I'm not going to get into why they did that, but since they did, certain people have been officially-unofficially taking it upon themselves to assign names to certain variants that they expect (or know) will be prominent.

https://twitter.com/TRyanGregory/status/1690821699137142784

cant wait to get fornaxed

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

shart attack posted:

cant wait to get fornaxed

same, brand new poster

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

fosborb posted:

:(

well gently caress, sorry, just going to start a new thread. OP needs updated and that's done now

Might want to have lead on that. :laugh:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Anyone heard from Trixie? Is she okay?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Phigs posted:

lesson learned!

current OP is 33,000 characters out of a 50k limit.

removing all the broken links and condensing some of the topics, i'm currently at 17,000 characters.

is there a topic you wish the OP covered? now's the time to talk through it!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

DickParasite posted:

Anyone heard from Trixie? Is she okay?

I haven't heard from her, and i do hope she is okay

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Phigs posted:

okay also alex horne laughing and the duck hunt dog laughing are too similar to be natural / pleasant

shart attack
Aug 15, 2023

by vyelkin
i'm working on building a diaphragm for your throat and nasal passage so the unmasked can stop being offended

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The OP is really good, I hope it still has the masked partiers and the office gif.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Wow, rereading the OP and seeing that THC interacts with Paxlovid, yet another reason I’m avoiding this damned virus

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
OP should include nasal sprays. Make lots of wild claims and include affiliate links.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i would include in the OP that covid is bad and also not good.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Too Many Birds posted:

how can we be sure?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Too Many Birds posted:

wow, okay, i'm gonna need to see some evidence for a wild claim like that

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

COVID might be bad, but I'm not sure we can also say it's not good.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

mark immune posted:

dr hellworld!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks for the reminder CDC director & HHS,https://twitter.com/CDCDirector/status/1691170293975273473wait something seems to be missing from that list :hmmrona:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Demilich posted:

lmao

fosborb posted:

lesson learned!

current OP is 33,000 characters out of a 50k limit.

removing all the broken links and condensing some of the topics, i'm currently at 17,000 characters.

is there a topic you wish the OP covered? now's the time to talk through it!

hope there are specific rules to deal with the previous issues this thread struggled to come to grips over the past month with in this new OP

Mekchu has issued a correction as of 09:55 on Aug 15, 2023

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

fosborb posted:

This will be the 7th iteration of the thread. hasnt been rebooted since Mar 2022

covid tests
vaccines
masks and corsi cubes

pets - don't kill them
guns - dont use them

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tzen posted:

Thanks for the reminder CDC director & HHS,https://twitter.com/CDCDirector/status/1691170293975273473wait something seems to be missing from that list :hmmrona:

can’t recommend a vaccine if it’s not going to be ready for a month after school starts

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

can’t recommend a vaccine if it’s not going to be ready for a month after school starts

Also who knows if anyone under 65 or without pre-existing comorbidities (previous COVID infection doesn't count) is even going to be allowed to get the new boosters.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/lauramiers/status/1691119091472273408?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

eyyyyyyy

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Honestly the term long COVID feels a little weird to me at this point. So much of it looks like your body is now hosed up because COVID ran rampaging through it. Kinda like describing your paraplegia as "long car crash", you know? Something happened to you that caused a bunch of damage to your body. I'm not suggesting the term should be changed at this time because linking COVID to the long-term damage it can cause is good for awareness. But eventually we're going to pull these various things into their own conditions not directly related to COVID IMO. Like this is a condition where your capillaries are degraded, and this is a condition where your mitochondria dis-regulate, etc.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Phigs posted:

Honestly the term long COVID feels a little weird to me at this point. So much of it looks like your body is now hosed up because COVID ran rampaging through it. Kinda like describing your paraplegia as "long car crash", you know? Something happened to you that caused a bunch of damage to your body. I'm not suggesting the term should be changed at this time because linking COVID to the long-term damage it can cause is good for awareness. But eventually we're going to pull these various things into their own conditions not directly related to COVID IMO. Like this is a condition where your capillaries are degraded, and this is a condition where your mitochondria dis-regulate, etc.

Yeah I'd agree that's part of the problem with LC. Describing all of the symptoms makes people disbelieve it, especially as we don't really know all of the mechanisms behind stuff.

Like, the simplest description of LC I can think of is a conglomeration of long-term issues resulting from some combination of organ damage, to include cellular damage, and viral persistence, that are not seen in every infection.

This is a weird personal distinction, maybe, but I consider stuff like increased stroke risk and immune system damage to not be Long COVID, because those are COVID impacts that result from seemingly every infection. There's no COVID infection that doesn't kill off some t-cells and leave behind a bunch of spike proteins that can cause cardiac problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

fosborb posted:

covid tests
vaccines
masks and corsi cubes

Favorite bricks
Favorite Aldi katana