Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Looking forward to the cool zone where Trump wins election in 2024 and is sentenced to a 5-year term in Georgian prison before inauguration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS
Thanks to all for the schoolin'.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tayter Swift posted:

Looking forward to the cool zone where Trump wins election in 2024 and is sentenced to a 5-year term in Georgian prison before inauguration.

There is a non-zero probability. I told my mom this earlier today and she didn't take it well.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Is it true in Georgia that the onus is on the defendant to prove they are not a risk for witness tampering/intimidation in order to be released on bail? I mean the chances are zero I'm sure but if that's true it'll be interesting to see how the judge weasels out of it, and what reasoning they use could be insightful.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Tayter Swift posted:

Bonus points if it's the other Georgia for some reason.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Rescue Toaster posted:

Is it true in Georgia that the onus is on the defendant to prove they are not a risk for witness tampering/intimidation in order to be released on bail? I mean the chances are zero I'm sure but if that's true it'll be interesting to see how the judge weasels out of it, and what reasoning they use could be insightful.

It is up to the court to make the determination.

Tayter Swift posted:

I wonder if the other Georgia would be interested in a prisoner swap

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Ither posted:

This is great, but I was hoping that Lindsey Graham would be caught up in this.

Same but for Roger Stone. Really hate that guy.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

mdemone posted:

We could have this theoretical debate but I admit I'd probably lose.

Honestly, it probably does go too far and could VERY easily be horribly abused- and potentially has. But when you use it for it's explicitly intended purpose against organized crime like the mafia or Trump's election overturning scheme it's actually really great.

It's one of those things that probably needs stricter standards so government can't abuse it easily but obviously still exist for situations like this.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
That is I note why it's so rarely used, judges and grand juries agree that it's extremely powerful so it generally won't get charged or will get thrown out if there's not exceedingly compelling evidence of a conspiracy.

In this case there's a ton of it, because he did most of this poo poo in the public view and life-tweeted MyCrimes.txt.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, it really should, it plugs a loophole that was getting actively abused by actual crime-doers.
What's interesting in this situation is that we have the legal structure that fully covers this situation but they didn't execute it: These were federal crimes; coordinated by a small group of individuals (a "coup"); involved armed aggression by a large group; the group was organized (despite some cells lacking effective tactics, despite all the video gaming); there were even people on the ground relaying and instantiating engagement (these are typically the "lieutenants"); the physical attack was against a center of government with intent to destroy/defeat at least one declared constitutional body (article 1) possibly by destroying another (article 2).

The supreme court has already ruled on these eventualities. They have even opined at length regarding the role of an individual "leading from behind". The legal precedent even has a RICO flavor in that all are parties to the crime. It is given the name 'treason'.

See page 21 of this thread for some fun details. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004152&pagenumber=21&perpage=40&userid=0#post524322811

Here's a good one: "if a body of people conspire... to resist or oppose the execution of any statute of the United States by force, they are only guilty of a high misdemeanor; but if they proceed to carry such intention into execution by force, they are guilty of the treason of levying war".

RICO is kinda a modernized version operating below the federal level. It leverages a conspiracy to escalate charges to the entire group.

And :tizzy: in 3, 2, 1, ...

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Death

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

inshallah

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For those who don't know, RICO is also how they finally got R. Kelly after he'd gotten away with decades of kid loving and other abuses

Much like with Trump, there was a fuckton of evidence and he always squirmed away...until they hit the RICO button, and now the dude is gonna die in prison.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this RICO seems like a cool dude

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

RICO has badly hosed me in more than one run of Liberal Crime Squad so I can only assume it's going to do the same to Donny and the Gang.

Really glad to see some of those other fuckers on the hook, because either they go through a trial or they flip and make the case even stronger.

I'm deeply curious to see what happens if the trial is ongoing at the time of inauguration in 2025 should he win, or the shitshow of him being sentenced while President.

But not as much as I want to see him and his entire treasonous cabal convicted just before he gets beat like Mondale

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
RICO started and will now end Rudy’s career

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
If trump ends up convicted and imprisoned before the next election, he leaves a giant void, the absence of a charismatic and ideological figurehead that the gop no longer institutionally knows how to work without, so much so that most people in the party don't dare talk down on the king. What happens when you lose this weird mobster who beat the entire rest of the party into submission and uselessness? What happens to a party that now has a single person as the existential anchor for their existence, and this person goes down in flames with nobody even remotely capable of replicating his charismatic attraction to the base?

How do you even deal with that kind of downticket event? How frozen out will the entire party be when there's a giant collective loss of hope on trump? Mondale is quite an alien outcome in modern times, but that's the closest you could come to replicating it..

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Trump indicated

His reply is tired and repetitious.
Not even in caps this time.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OgNar posted:

Trump indicated

I feel like this isn't him, it's not just that it's low energy - though it is - but some of the formulations don't vibe right imo. He's not even directly alleging that either Jack Smith or the Biden Crime Family engineered all the indictments as a coordinated plot.

Kavros posted:

If trump ends up convicted and imprisoned before the next election, he leaves a giant void, the absence of a charismatic and ideological figurehead that the gop no longer institutionally knows how to work without, so much so that most people in the party don't dare talk down on the king. What happens when you lose this weird mobster who beat the entire rest of the party into submission and uselessness? What happens to a party that now has a single person as the existential anchor for their existence, and this person goes down in flames with nobody even remotely capable of replicating his charismatic attraction to the base?

How do you even deal with that kind of downticket event? How frozen out will the entire party be when there's a giant collective loss of hope on trump? Mondale is quite an alien outcome in modern times, but that's the closest you could come to replicating it..

All I'll say about trying to figure this out is that I'm glad my PoliSci degree is fifteen years in the rearview mirror because lol, lmao, the poor kids studying it today.

Actually the other thing I'll say is I'm glad I'm not a GOP strategist and lol, lmao, but they deserve to suffer

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OgNar posted:

Trump indicated

Yeah reads like a staffer post. They're obviously doing the dumbass misspellings for verisimilitude but it's extremely:sad: and !Jeb¡ energy.

Or else they have him drugged up

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

that post sounds Rigged to me!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Kavros posted:

Well the closest comparison would be A.hitler getting stuck in prison for a few months.

What happened to the Nazi party during that time?

I think we all know how it went afterwards.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Comstar posted:

Well the closest comparison would be A.hitler getting stuck in prison for a few months.

What happened to the Nazi party during that time?

I think we all know how it went afterwards.

Except trump wouldn’t survive a three year stretch at coffee correctional.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

OgNar posted:

Trump indicated

I love that his argument is "why did they wait so long? why didn't they indict me 2 years ago?"

As if building a criminal case and gathering evidence takes no time at all

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m guessing he (or his staffer) was told by the lawyers not to respond to any actual charges, since that would create evidence. So he can only talk about stuff around the edges, like the timeline.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Trump Legal Troubles: RICO's Roughnecks

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Liquid Communism posted:

That is I note why it's so rarely used, judges and grand juries agree that it's extremely powerful so it generally won't get charged or will get thrown out if there's not exceedingly compelling evidence of a conspiracy.

In this case there's a ton of it, because he did most of this poo poo in the public view and life-tweeted MyCrimes.txt.

You doing a press conference on a loving criminal conspiracy?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Yeah RICO ties up his social media hands unlike any of the other indictments. Any use of "we", "us", "them", etc further risks defining the organization. Acting like a mob boss and using suggestive Mafia language while being hit with Mafia laws is generally a very very very bad idea.

Georgia might have finally shut him up, moreso than federal judges indirectly threatening him.

Friendship ended with DOJ, now Georgia is best friend

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
someone with actual law knowledge: what is the difference between the federal RICO act (the one people think of) and georgia's own peculiar version of RICO?

as an aside, rico seems entirely appropriate for trump and his way of breaking the law is pretty much exactly the style of crime it's historically been intended to deal with. it's an almost elegant fit to his roundabout but entirely intentional yet just-deniable-enough way of getting people to do things

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yeah RICO ties up his social media hands unlike any of the other indictments. Any use of "we", "us", "them", etc further risks defining the organization. Acting like a mob boss and using suggestive Mafia language while being hit with Mafia laws is generally a very very very bad idea.

Georgia might have finally shut him up, moreso than federal judges indirectly threatening him.

Friendship ended with DOJ, now Georgia is best friend

yeah it's pretty much a perfect fit for how he operates, it's funny because he doesn't even really have any other way of communicating or trying to compel people to do things other than that

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 15, 2023

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I love that his argument is "why did they wait so long? why didn't they indict me 2 years ago?"

As if building a criminal case and gathering evidence takes no time at all

It's the same stupid bullshit he kept going on about with "you should have stopped me!" whenever Hillary brought up his unethical business practices or financial crimes. As bait for the low-info voters and Republican base (but I repeat myself) it's perfect because we live in a time where people expect things to happen instantly and most people in general have no idea how long it can take for something to work through the justice system, especially if you care about doing it right and not (for example) let a bunch of domestic terrorists go free after illegally taking over a wildlife refuge.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Unfortunately Trump going down will not destroy the Republican party. The chuds hate liberals way too much. They almost elected Herschel Walker, a profoundly immoral man who very obviously has brain damage, to the senate, because he had an R next to his name. And this was in a battleground state.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kavros posted:

He can still run from prison.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Trump hasn’t even had time for his morning Diet Coke, let’s at least wait until noon before deciding he won’t tweet out new evidence

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So any bets on how many of the 30 unindicted co-conspirators were senators or representatives? More or less that 15.5?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He can still run from prison.

Twitter was his most frequent, most popular, and furthest reaching campaign platform. He can run from wherever he wants but without social media access he's absolutely useless in appealing to 70 million voters

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Yoshi Wins posted:

Unfortunately Trump going down will not destroy the Republican party. The chuds hate liberals way too much. They almost elected Herschel Walker, a profoundly immoral man who very obviously has brain damage, to the senate, because he had an R next to his name. And this was in a battleground state.

that's not fair, he also did football 40 years ago

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

someone with actual law knowledge: what is the difference between the federal RICO act (the one people think of) and georgia's own peculiar version of RICO?

New York Times has a very good explainer on it.

quote:

Like the federal law on which it is based, the state RICO law was originally designed to dismantle organized crime groups, but over the years it has come to be used to prosecute other crimes, from white collar Ponzi and embezzlement schemes to public corruption cases.

It’s a powerful law enforcement tool. The Georgia RICO statute allows prosecutors to bundle together what may seem to be unrelated crimes committed by a host of different people if those crimes are perceived to be in support of a common objective.

“It allows a prosecutor to go after the head of an organization, loosely defined, without having to prove that that head directly engaged in a conspiracy or any acts that violated state law,” Michael Mears, a law professor at John Marshall Law School in Atlanta. “If you are a prosecutor, it’s a gold mine. If you are a defense attorney, it’s a nightmare.”
Prosecutors need only show “a pattern of racketeering activity,” which means crimes that all were used to further the objectives of a corrupt enterprise. And the bar is fairly low. The Georgia courts have concluded that a pattern consists of at least two acts of racketeering activity within a four-year period in furtherance of one or more schemes that have the same or similar intent.

That means the act might allow prosecutors to knit together the myriad efforts by Donald J. Trump and his allies, like Rudolph W. Giuliani, to overturn his narrow loss in Georgia in the 2020 presidential race. Those efforts include the former president’s now infamous phone call in which he pressed Brad Raffensperger, the Georgia secretary of state, to “find” him enough votes to win.

At its heart, the statute requires prosecutors to prove the existence of an “enterprise” and a “pattern of racketeering activity.” The enterprise does not have to be a purely criminal organization. In Georgia, the law has been used to hold defendants accountable for a host of different schemes, including attempts by candidates to seek or maintain elected office and efforts by school officials to orchestrate cheating on standardized tests.

The sorts of crimes prosecutors could try to pin on Mr. Trump and his allies include solicitation to commit election fraud, intentional interference with performance of election duties, making false statements, criminal solicitation, improperly influencing government officials and even forgery.

The law lays out a list of 40 state crimes or acts that can qualify together as “pattern of racketeering activity.” It is broader than the federal law in that the attempt, solicitation, coercion, and intimidation of another person to commit one of the offenses can be considered racketeering activity. A number of the crimes Mr. Trump and his allies are accused of are on the list, including making false statements.
Mr. Mears said the law doesn’t require the state to prove that Mr. Trump knew about or ordered all the crimes, just that he was the head of an enterprise that carried them out. The main defense for Mr. Trump’s lawyers would likely be to show that the various actors did not intend to commit a crime.

The Fulton County district attorney, Fani T. Willis, has extensive experience with bringing racketeering cases, including some outside the usual crime family realm. She won the case involving public-school educators accused of altering students’ standardized tests. Her office is also currently pursuing racketeering charges against two gangs connected to the hip-hop world, including one led by the Atlanta rapper Jeffery Williams, who performs as Young Thug.

“RICO is a tool that allows a prosecutor’s office or law enforcement to tell the whole story,” Ms. Willis said at a news conference in August to announce a racketeering case against the Drug Rich gang.

A person convicted of racketeering under the Georgia law faces up to 20 years in prison and a fine, in addition to the penalty for the underlying crime.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 15, 2023

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

smackfu posted:

I’m guessing he (or his staffer) was told by the lawyers not to respond to any actual charges, since that would create evidence. So he can only talk about stuff around the edges, like the timeline.

lol you think trump listens to his lawyers

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Yoshi Wins posted:

Agreed. I have to wonder if Walker would have actually won if he were white. There's got to be at least 5% of GA GOP voters that have a no blacks allowed attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm starting to think you guys may have not voted the best person for head of state in 2016. That man seems a bit dubious to me.