Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

armpit_enjoyer posted:

A friend hooked me up with Windows 10 LTSC back in the day and I keep using it even though you're "not supposed" to use it as a daily driver OS for whatever reason. It's Windows 10 with all of the ads stripped out, alongisde things like the Microsoft Store and Cortana. Until 2021 it didn't even come with Edge. The only downside I've encountered thus far is that you can't install Whatsapp on it anymore, because that requires Microsoft Store.

I hope that by the time Windows 10 LTSC stops being a thing (this version will be supported until at least 2026), they'll either release a similarly stripped down version of Windows 11 or they somehow release Photoshop for Linux, because that and games are the big reason why I'm still on Windows (and Steam is making great strides wrt gaming on Windows)

I am seconding LTSC as being great. I snagged a copy a while back and it's got all the things you would want out of windows (runs programs, fully functional, gets security updates) and none of the things you don't like about windows (spyware, updates that break everything for no reason, bloated bundled programs). The reason you're not supposed to use it for your daily computer is that a mass adoption of LTSC would destroy microsoft's business model, but they can't not offer it because the alternative would be the billions of computers that are marginally viable running windows for things like point of sale terminals would switch to linux, because they can't run a full 10 install.

While LTSC branches do become obsolete over time, the good news is that they always release a new LTSC client prior to that happening. There is no current LTSC client for 11, but that's because a 10 client came out shortly before 11 launched, and it's a few years between new clients. Next one will be 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I stopped going to a dentist for years, despite having “coverage,” because of the stress about what nominal, normal, preventative things the insurance company would deny coverage for and leave me with a giant bill. Or the bullshit upsells - had one dentist offer to give me a deal if I did “everything that day” like I was buying a loving used car from Crazy Larry’s Haus of Wheelz or something.

My wife found a local dentist who’s great though - I don’t know how she submits the claims, but I’ve had to pay almost nothing.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

GolfHole posted:

hearing aids got really really really really really really really really really really good over the last 30 years expensive

There's gotta be at least $15 worth of components in your average $3000 pair of hearing aids.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I have someone with very new, very fancy hearing aids in my immediate circle and I dread the day the company behind them goes out of business and they just break and nobody can fix them because they're all some patented, proprietary bullshit

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I have someone with very new, very fancy hearing aids in my immediate circle and I dread the day the company behind them goes out of business and they just break and nobody can fix them because they're all some patented, proprietary bullshit

hasn't that happened with like, pacemaker manufacturers before?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

hasn't that happened with like, pacemaker manufacturers before?

Brain implants to help with epilepsy as well!

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
oh well it's nicely literary that the general trend in product development now is to make stuff unrepairable that just has to be replaced in full since that's what we're doing with human civilization in general too

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Biplane posted:

Brain implants to help with epilepsy as well!

And eye prosthetics

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

armpit_enjoyer posted:

A friend hooked me up with Windows 10 LTSC back in the day and I keep using it even though you're "not supposed" to use it as a daily driver OS for whatever reason. It's Windows 10 with all of the ads stripped out, alongisde things like the Microsoft Store and Cortana. Until 2021 it didn't even come with Edge. The only downside I've encountered thus far is that you can't install Whatsapp on it anymore, because that requires Microsoft Store.

I hope that by the time Windows 10 LTSC stops being a thing (this version will be supported until at least 2026), they'll either release a similarly stripped down version of Windows 11 or they somehow release Photoshop for Linux, because that and games are the big reason why I'm still on Windows (and Steam is making great strides wrt gaming on Windows)

I use LTSC as well and 95% of the time it’s fine. If anyone is interested there are instructions on the internet for turning the trial version into the full version and from there you can run a KMS server for activation. No cracks or other garbage all microsoft software that comes with windows except for the kms server which there are several and they’re all on github.

I did have a problem where my video card was a little flaky when I first booted but it went away after the last update.

For whatever reason I can’t get samba shares to work even though everything else in my house mounts them fine but that might not be LTSC seems like something microsoft would definitely have working on a business product.

When it stops being supported I’m sure there will be a similar product but Linux gaming is getting pretty good I might just say goodbye to microshit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

All of my new corporate learning modules are badly formatted web pages you have to click through to get credit for complete

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Love that my windows install at work has a taskbar icon that ostensibly shows me the weather but actually just aggregates a ton of news stories specifically designed to make boomers mad. So glad my aging coworkers have an alternative rage machine that isn't blocked on the work network! It's just a million articles titled 'Boomers got everything wrong - and these unemployed queers are ANGRY' or 'New law will give homeless minorities YOUR home'

Someone a while back mentioned Canada Air and I want to say that the entire experience of having a video screen in front of you on a flight has gotten so much worse. There's a better selection of movies, but the flight starts with the safety briefing incorporated into an ad for Disney World, 20 minutes of other ads (in English & French) and then will interrupt the flight tracker with ad breaks every 3 minutes or so. gently caress you!

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Riatsala posted:

Love that my windows install at work has a taskbar icon that ostensibly shows me the weather but actually just aggregates a ton of news stories specifically designed to make boomers mad. So glad my aging coworkers have an alternative rage machine that isn't blocked on the work network! It's just a million articles titled 'Boomers got everything wrong - and these unemployed queers are ANGRY' or 'New law will give homeless minorities YOUR home'

Someone a while back mentioned Canada Air and I want to say that the entire experience of having a video screen in front of you on a flight has gotten so much worse. There's a better selection of movies, but the flight starts with the safety briefing incorporated into an ad for Disney World, 20 minutes of other ads (in English & French) and then will interrupt the flight tracker with ad breaks every 3 minutes or so. gently caress you!

If I’ve been meaning to check something out for a long time I put it on my phone and tablet just for the day I’m stuck on the plane. Like 10 roms, albums, books, and low res movies.

It’s way better than trying to decide if you’d rather watch a classic sit com, a new Marvel movie, or a good movie you’ve seen 50 times while being interrupted for liability reasons every 10 minutes.

If they really gave a gently caress if you died they’d show everyone the poo poo they show the flight attendants in their training and their jobs would be 10x easier. But then some people might stop flying.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Riatsala posted:

You should be able to turn that off:

Right click the Taskbar, select News and Interests, then Turn Off:

I am 99% sure you don't need any sort of local admin permissions. Even the lowest-level user should be able to turn that off on their profile.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
do you think boomers will do that tho

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

You should be able to turn that off:

Right click the Taskbar, select News and Interests, then Turn Off:

I am 99% sure you don't need any sort of local admin permissions. Even the lowest-level user should be able to turn that off on their profile.

Yeah I turn that off immediately.

Also speaking of MS stuff, I wouldn't have a theoretical problem using Edge, but it defaults to their news website and the last thing I want on a work computer is Trump news or whatever headlines there are. And then it's so needy and desperate if you download Chrome. Like I never felt a piece of software had confidence issues, but there's Edge begging me not to leave.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Light Gun Man posted:

do you think boomers will do that tho

No, but Riatsala can at least turn it off for himself, and then maybe try to sneak around the office and turn it off for any Boomer that leaves their PC unlocked, which in my experience is most of them.

There is also a Group Policy setting that can disable it, so if you're chummy with anyone in IT you can ask them to try and push it through:
https://www.prajwaldesai.com/disabl...ests%20feature.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The boomers won't, but now I'm equipped to turn it off for them lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

euphronius posted:

All of my new corporate learning modules are badly formatted web pages you have to click through to get credit for complete
If there are unskippable cutscenes video segments, look for a browser extension that allows you to multiply the playback speed.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Somehow health insurance has gotten shittier. I moved to a new insurance when I switched jobs, and this new one is constantly trying to enroll me in their all-in-one app/IoT/virtual-assistant horseshit thing. I get emails about it on a daily basis. They literally pitched what amounts to a slack channel to chat with other people using the service like it's something I'd ever want to do. Let me in on that action, I need constant updates on what my Lisinobros are up to.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

No, but Riatsala can at least turn it off for himself, and then maybe try to sneak around the office and turn it off for any Boomer that leaves their PC unlocked, which in my experience is most of them.

There is also a Group Policy setting that can disable it, so if you're chummy with anyone in IT you can ask them to try and push it through:
https://www.prajwaldesai.com/disabl...ests%20feature.

that's true. goonspeed.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Apple Podcast has just stopped remembering where I left off in a podcast? After a decade of using it without issue suddenly this is a problem?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
YouTube does that to me and it drives me nuts.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

edit: this isn't the trumplols thread

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like image sharing has gotten worse. wanna be able to just post images straight to discord or line etc without saving it locally first or linking the post that contains it. gonna force me to boost your engagement? how about I just not share poo poo at all bitch

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023
I stopped reading electrek for years but I went back there the other day and it was noticeably shittier by virtue of having multiple anti- right to repair articles within the last week, and the author arguing with commentors about his dumbass takes.

So now I don't know where to get EV news because I'm not giving them clicks again.

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
There's a brand of baby formula we really like but goddamn it's annoying that they force you to sign up for a monthly subscription delivery service in order to buy it. We would've had like a dozen extra unwanted containers of formula by now if we hadn't cancelled the subscription every time.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Light Gun Man posted:

I feel like image sharing has gotten worse. wanna be able to just post images straight to discord or line etc without saving it locally first or linking the post that contains it. gonna force me to boost your engagement? how about I just not share poo poo at all bitch

I screenshot poo poo all the time now, I assume that function will disappear on phones any generation now

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Mr Lanternfly posted:

There's a brand of baby formula we really like but goddamn it's annoying that they force you to sign up for a monthly subscription delivery service in order to buy it. We would've had like a dozen extra unwanted containers of formula by now if we hadn't cancelled the subscription every time.

The service as a subscription model is killing everything, this happened with a company we were buying from for more environmentally friendly washing machine and dishwasher detergents. Why do I need to subscribe to your detergents, why?? Just sell me the detergent when I need more detergent goddamn

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I screenshot poo poo all the time now, I assume that function will disappear on phones any generation now

Imgur loving sucks. Give me the goddamn jpg url don't make me click a hundred buttons and gently caress about with editing the url every time. You're an image hosting service, know your place.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Outrail posted:

Imgur loving sucks. Give me the goddamn jpg url don't make me click a hundred buttons and gently caress about with editing the url every time. You're an image hosting service, know your place.

They're desperate attempt at trying to be some kind of actual social media site is killing it.

You can't upload images to it on mobile without the app, AFAIK. I even tried clicking the "Use Desktop Site" option in Chrome mobile, and it worked until the actual upload then it failed.

This is the bananas workaround I use:
The Awful App. It has a direct "Imgur" upload button, so make a post you never intend to post, use that to upload the image, then copy the actual Imgur link and paste it where you need it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

DrBouvenstein posted:

They're desperate attempt at trying to be some kind of actual social media site is killing it.

You can't upload images to it on mobile without the app, AFAIK. I even tried clicking the "Use Desktop Site" option in Chrome mobile, and it worked until the actual upload then it failed.

This is the bananas workaround I use:
The Awful App. It has a direct "Imgur" upload button, so make a post you never intend to post, use that to upload the image, then copy the actual Imgur link and paste it where you need it.

this is also how I post threads on mobile, writing it in the app first so I can use the uploader

to post videos from Instagram I have to go:

Instagram - copy url
Instagram Downloader (random ad filled android app) - download video
Imgur app - upload video and copy album url, the only one available
ImgurViewer - paste album url, select share, this gives the mp4 link

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

DrBouvenstein posted:

Just keep posting offensive poo poo publicly until you get a lifetime ban from the "community", then you can ignore that part of it and still use it as a host.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've been getting emails from photobucket about them killing their free product. Not that I care about the stuff but still they're adamant about being pay-only in the emails :(.

Reminds me of when Crashplan killed their personal products and went business only.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Outrail posted:

Here I made some iOS/macOS shortcuts for catbox.moe. one is for transloading URLs the other uploads
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/ae6cf36bb5f746d1a9193a8a773d7688
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/b45fe6fb631947cab519e05eab40d142

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://files.catbox.moe/383c6y.mp4

E: yes!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

The cream filled donuts barely have any filling anymore.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Failson posted:

The cream filled donuts barely have any filling anymore.

enough about your mom

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
When did Pop-Tarts go south? I bought a package for the first time in years, and they're now primarily sawdust-based.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

DrBouvenstein posted:

The awful app does what???

gently caress, I'm a luddite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I didn't realize it had the Imgur uploader either. I was way too lazy to deal with uploading them somewhere else. Now I can participate in post pics of your pets derails!