Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah that part is fine, but I meant in terms of matchmaking to find a party. In D3 you choose a torment level and the rifts filter, and you get matched into a lobby of people who pretty reliably are just gonna run rifts at that level over and over.

There are 100 levels of sigils spanning two world tiers and a huge combination of modifiers, some of which create huge difficulty swings depending on each individual player's class and build. It just seems logistically much harder to consistently match people into groups that make sense in that kind of system, unless you straight up go to back to server browser so people can look for the lobby that explicitly says they're doing 65-70 sigils with no resource burn, or whatever.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah good points. I think you could minimize it to the local shard + 1-2, just pop a browser that shows your options without any rigid tiers or sets, maybe a refresh button to change the extra shards.

Then you've got the headache of making sure the browser and host have the ability to filter who joins since like you said there's a lot of variables, including how early people can access content they can't do. Maybe a limitation like "can't join a NMD you've not cleared within -1/-2 of."

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

what is old is new again

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
ssf mode toggle for D4 please

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

harrygomm posted:

ssf mode toggle for D4 please
Turn off crossplay and play on Xbox.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

During D3's content cycle, was there much that happened between D3's launch and RoS? Seasons were a post-RoS thing, right?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

WarEternal posted:

for the normal people who don't have twitter accounts this is just a tweet that says "what funding?" and no context.

Oh sorry normal person, I wasn't aware it didn't show the tweet being replied to to some. That's my bad. Others have explained the context.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

KazigluBey posted:

During D3's content cycle, was there much that happened between D3's launch and RoS? Seasons were a post-RoS thing, right?

Uh not really. Launch difficulty was wild and the RMAH towered over everything. Made some money out of it but lol thinking that was ever a good idea.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Huh... So on the one hand D4 got Seasonal content out the gate, on the other I'm seeing some people say that it really needs a RoS tier content drop/remix to get to a good place.

Like, I guess they could figure things out in the patch cycle and put out some banger Seasons but I always did feel we'd be getting early PoE tier stuff (Tempest or Torment, if you know/remember) for seasons rather than anything approaching more recent PoE leagues and that it just wasn't going to be enough for people unless the fundamentals were close to 100% on point.

And the patches so far have been... Mixed?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
wudijo put out a kind of exhaustive video for the details and caveats but a good rule of thumb takeaway is that a good roll on a weapon is worth approx 10-15 item power (for weapons that you use/care about the dps of). gives a quick way to pick through weapons which were previously a relatively slower compare for me

American McGay posted:

Turn off crossplay and play on Xbox.

lmao yeah

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
like each well rolled affix is worth about 10-15 or the entire suite is worth about 10-15?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

KazigluBey posted:

Huh... So on the one hand D4 got Seasonal content out the gate, on the other I'm seeing some people say that it really needs a RoS tier content drop/remix to get to a good place.

Like, I guess they could figure things out in the patch cycle and put out some banger Seasons but I always did feel we'd be getting early PoE tier stuff (Tempest or Torment, if you know/remember) for seasons rather than anything approaching more recent PoE leagues and that it just wasn't going to be enough for people unless the fundamentals were close to 100% on point.

And the patches so far have been... Mixed?

The game is already pretty fun until you get a little ways into the 70s and then it depends on your grinding tolerance. It just could be a lot better and has some flaws that should not have made it to release (lousy mob density in much of the game only just started to get fixed). Very likely the game will be a lot better in 6 months to a year and beyond

The patches have been decent but not earthshaking yet

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Verviticus posted:

like each well rolled affix is worth about 10-15 or the entire suite is worth about 10-15?

per/each

if vuln and crit are straight up missing on it, it can be the equivalent of losing more like 20-30 item power per/ea but i personally don’t even keep weapons that don’t either already have them or are 3/4 that i can roll vuln or whatever back into it

also this is mostly for a higher level/mature paragon board character.

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 15, 2023

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

emdash posted:

The game is already pretty fun until you get a little ways into the 70s and then it depends on your grinding tolerance. It just could be a lot better and has some flaws that should not have made it to release (lousy mob density in much of the game only just started to get fixed). Very likely the game will be a lot better in 6 months to a year and beyond

The patches have been decent but not earthshaking yet

i don’t think i’ll play as much in later seasons as i have so far, but i am interested to see how seasons look for those seasons where they were already in preproduction before launch, so season 3 or 4, which yeah, probably around a year from now

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

KazigluBey posted:

Some damage control happened on the drop rates, and from what I've heard the barrier to entry dropped from "You need to be Kripp with an army of people farming just to hand you items to progress" to "gotta be a poopsocker", but the biggest thing is that the console version came out and was far better than the PC. Most of what happened in console land (loot 2.0, removal of the AH, etc) is remembered as being an RoS jam but it's far more interesting when you think about how they hosed up the initial D3 experience so much that, for a time, the console version was the superior one to play.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mailer posted:

the console version was the superior one to play.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The weird thing about original D3 is that it DID launch before what you would consider a typical ARPG endgame nowadays had crystallized.

It absolutely should've had more of an endgame that it did, of course, because D2 had had its ladder thing going on for years at that point, but the idea of a season with, like, new content and a journey and all that crap didn't really exist yet.

RMAH is probably to blame.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Did they remove resource generation from rings? It's certainly a top 4 stat for what I'm running and I've seen screenshots of the statistic but I'm level 70 and I have yet to see it on a ring this season.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gently caress me, straight bone spear/sacrifice minions Necro is ridiculous. I’m newly T3 at 56 and just melting everything. The auto-corpse heart is INSANE when you have corpse explosion, the unique affix where the corpse ghosts run to an enemy instead of just expose, and corpse tendrils to line everyone up for a massive bone spear vuln crit.

I’m kinda thinking of giving the capstone a shot to get to T4…

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Jelly posted:

Did they remove resource generation from rings? It's certainly a top 4 stat for what I'm running and I've seen screenshots of the statistic but I'm level 70 and I have yet to see it on a ring this season.

Only rolls on ancestral/torment rings.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Martian Manfucker posted:

Only rolls on ancestral/torment rings.

That makes sense, thanks!

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I wish there was just a simple damage score board for events. Often they are such a bloodbath it’s hard to know who’s putting out the most. Also would be a way for the 3 guys runnings around who are 40 levels less than the top dude to have something to compete for.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Didn't they make it so horse charging would break through barriers? Because I have yet to have that happen.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

KazigluBey posted:

They added the pvp that we all know and love :)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

KazigluBey posted:

Content wise, no not really.

They did some itemization fixes and made inferno not soul-crushing hard. As well as usual balance passes.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Launch D3 was hosed in a completely different way than D4 is. D4 is boredom and frustration, D3 was difficulty and scarcity. I put D3 down around the same amount of time I put D4 down. They're gonna need way more to a season than "We made a new gem for jewelry only!" Or this game is gonna wither 20x faster than D3. Hope that expansion is on pace for early/mid next year.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

RBX posted:

Launch D3 was hosed in a completely different way than D4 is. D4 is boredom and frustration, D3 was difficulty and scarcity.

it comes down to the post sale monetization on this. d3 had the real life auction house, and by keeping things rare, it incentivized people to list those items for more (or at all really). the point was to skim their 10%/$1 whichever was more, or whatever that formula was. the longer you keep someone in the game, the more times they happen by the skins shop. if memory serves me right, I think that the big buff to drops in d3 happened around the same time that they dropped the real life auction house

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

Didn't they make it so horse charging would break through barriers? Because I have yet to have that happen.

Someone at blizz tweeted that I think, and I brought it up to someone the other day and demonstrated that they didn't flip that switch.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Honestly if they had a toggle to remove other players from the game entirely unless they're in your party, I'd probably slam it on and never look back.

Everything always online about D4 has been a strict negative for me.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Uh not really. Launch difficulty was wild and the RMAH towered over everything. Made some money out of it but lol thinking that was ever a good idea.
I was told by an old dev that the real reason the RMAH died wasn't because of player feedback... but because they wanted to put out a console version of the game and the platform holders wouldn't allow the RMAH to exist.

It's one of the rarest moments in gaming: Console limitations helping the PC platform.

Hra Mormo posted:

Honestly if they had a toggle to remove other players from the game entirely unless they're in your party, I'd probably slam it on and never look back.

Everything always online about D4 has been a strict negative for me.
You'd think developers (read: video game executives) would have learned from the SimCity 5 debacle but nope.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There was also an issue of the RMAH facilitating money laundering.

Anyway, D3 was a disaster early on and really only matured into a pretty flat endgame that people somehow pretend is better than D4's. D4 could turn out as disappointing, but we didn't spend the first six months with predatory item scarcity, so... Baby steps.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 15, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Name Change posted:

That part is just a feature of videogame/virtual marketplaces - there's no way around that. Blizzard just went all in and made the process extremely easy, because it wasn't just skins or whatever - it was the defacto endgame for Diablo 3. And you traded directly in-game.

In a way I admired the honesty if it wasn't for the fact the game was miserable to play without using the AH.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Name Change posted:

Anyway, D3 was a disaster early on and really only matured into a pretty flat endgame that people somehow pretend is better than D4's. D4 could turn out as disappointing, but we didn't spend the first six months with predatory item scarcity, so... Baby steps.
Yeah people doom-and-glooming about Diablo 4 really don't remember how awful Diablo 3 was for a very long time. You can say this and that about the fundamental problems D4 has but there's always a way to turn this poo poo around, it just takes hiring and firing the right people. Let's all see what happens when Microsoft owns it!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm watching Ozark at the moment and now I'm wondering if there's a bit where Jonah gets into videogame transactions. I refuse to believe Marty has ever glanced at a videogame

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
My friends had a two-day LAN party to celebrate d3 release. When it was over I think none of us touched the game til ROS came out. Obviously a low bar to clear but only the one ruthless minmaxer in my group has stopped playing d4 so far. We are pretty old though, so not even having time to get burnt out helps.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Nobody pretends that the D3 vanilla endgame was worth mentioning. If somebody praises D3 assume they mean the modern RoS expac design that has existed for over 9 years of D3s life. :v:

Looking forward to the D4 team recovering in the same way.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

:argh: omg stop giving me legendaries with fire damage on them, I'm an ice sorcerer! So much useless fire gear!

There's so much the game doesn't tell you, or only gives you the most basic information about. I think I got to about level 30 before I discovered what enchantment sockets are. I missed the first notification entirely and then when I got the second I thought "I've unlocked a what?" and it took me some time of hunting through the UI to actually find the new sockets and then I had to read up on what they actually do.

Glad I did because now my frost nova goes off like a nuke and explodes everything in range.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Push El Burrito posted:

I straight up don’t believe they are going to change that at all. I think the stupid barrier dogshit is going to stay to waste your time. No company disrespects their players time like Blizzard.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

If they cared they'd just remove the stupid barriers lol

Why on earth have they disabled trade because of duping? Do they think this is a competitive game or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons
My wife got the unique minions ring on her Necro so we tried out the ramping minions build and lmao it disintegrates stuff 10x faster than my rogue.

e: link to build for those interested

almost1337 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 15, 2023