Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Shageletic posted:

The article is also funny for the brutal battle between the actors and the writer in regards to how much of it was improvised.

lol, yeah, that was great. I had no idea they had cut so much of Julianne Moore's scenes (on this watch through I'm noticing she's billed 4th), or that Richard Jordan was originally cast and filmed most of the scenes as Dr. Nichols before he developed a fatal brain tumor :smith: and they brought in Jeroen Krabbé literally at the last minute.

The Fugitive fuckin rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
I feel like The Fugitive and Jurassic Park are the two greatest paced movies ever made and because of that I could watch either one unlimited times

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i agree with those and am adding hunt for red october to the list

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Taking of Pelham 123 OG

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Dredd, of all things. They walk into the building and the next time things slow down is the credits.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Goodfellas and Ghostbusters

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Painkiller on Netflix was just straight up not as good as Dopesick was. And casting Broderick as Richard Sackler seemed kinda hosed up in a “too on the nose” sort of way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

Dredd, of all things. They walk into the building and the next time things slow down is the credits.

Dredd and Fury Road are the two most perfect action movies ever made imo.

Unrelated, Solar opposites replaced Justin Roiland with Dan Stevens and it's the weirdest thing ever. I don't care if you hate roiland, are a total fanboy or are somewhere in between like myself, but his poo poo just doesn't work without him. His stupid voice and jokes are the whole appeal for better or worse. I don't think this or the rick and morty recast is gonna work. Probably one season of each and the viewership will drop into the abyss.

I dont think the guy is a genius or anything. He can be grating but also funny sometimes. I'll casually watch his shows in the background once in a while. But his shows without him are just like, nothing. Who cares? Seriously no reason for them to exist anymore outside of some corporate interests hoping they can still make it work.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

nah the whole cast of rick and morty is great and I don't particularly care that roiland will be gone. curious to see how it pans out though.

wasn't Roiland more actively involved in the creation and writing of Solar Opposites?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

If dredd is #1, fury road #2 what's #3?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m glad Roiland is gone but I don’t think I can Rick and Morty when it comes back . It’s got too much real gross baked into it. I loved Roiland bc I thought he was a weirdo who made gross art because it’s fun not that he was a gross weirdo who made gross art because he’s gross

It used to be my favorite show on tv but Justin being a pedo groomer abuser is awful

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

veni veni veni posted:

Unrelated, Solar opposites replaced Justin Roiland with Dan Stevens and it's the weirdest thing ever. I don't care if you hate roiland, are a total fanboy or are somewhere in between like myself, but his poo poo just doesn't work without him. His stupid voice and jokes are the whole appeal for better or worse. I don't think this or the rick and morty recast is gonna work. Probably one season of each and the viewership will drop into the abyss.

I dont think the guy is a genius or anything. He can be grating but also funny sometimes. I'll casually watch his shows in the background once in a while. But his shows without him are just like, nothing. Who cares? Seriously no reason for them to exist anymore outside of some corporate interests hoping they can still make it work.

Yeah it's just milking the property dry. I don't feel there is a Rick & Morty without Roiland's voice. It'd be like Family Guy if they recast Seth MacFarlane. If they want to end their associations with him they should just end the show, but of course money wins. I have no interest in watching the next season, but who knows maybe most people won't care. We'll see.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Google Butt posted:

well speaking of justin roiland:

predator

also there are dredd sags in several places. still good.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Thomas Middleditch, despite also being a sex weirdo, is the best part of Solar Opposites and so long as he's still on board the show will prob be fine.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm still fairly invested in the long running plot lines that have nothing to do with the family -- who, I think it's increasingly apparent, are the comic relief on their own show.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Google Butt posted:

T2 or Speed probably

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

veni veni veni posted:

I did laugh at "Also, the voice changer had Chronitons in it so any flashbacks will be this voice too"

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I think part of what makes Fury Road so great is that they filmed a lot of it on location with real people on real vehicles. It makes the film look beautiful in a way that CGI just can’t quite get. Admittedly the couple of CGI shots in the movie really stand out, but I will take the hokey looking shot of the steering wheel flying into the middle of the screen near the end if that’s what it takes to get the rest of the movie.

Also, it follows the good rule that movies have forgotten. Show, don’t explain. Tom Hardy, one of the major characters has very few lines of dialog. He is just shown doing his thing most of the time. No silly quips to draw a laugh, or to fill the dead space. Just action on the screen to let the viewer take it in. Not many movies let the scenery and the action do the actually storytelling.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Finally watched Athena on Netflix. I am sucker for one shots (fake or not) and the first 11 minutes has no visible cuts. It is presented as one shot, in which they used certain tricks to hide the cuts. What an amazing chaotic start. The whole movie is full of long shots of what is basically a riot. I really enjoyed it, and I loved the cinematography and editing. My only real complaints are the characters really don't matter. They are just vehicles for the viewers to be center of the chaos. Also, it does feel like the last act is much slower than the rest of the movie. We had nothing but chaos up to that point and much of the last act doesn't feel that way.

Bonus points for the way they used shields, which I assume is a nod to the name of the movie.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 15, 2023

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Orvin posted:

Also, it follows the good rule that movies have forgotten. Show, don’t explain. Tom Hardy, one of the major characters has very few lines of dialog. He is just shown doing his thing most of the time. No silly quips to draw a laugh, or to fill the dead space. Just action on the screen to let the viewer take it in. Not many movies let the scenery and the action do the actually storytelling.

I was thinking a similar thing the other day, when describing a character in a film as a "badass". What I meant was they were dogged, persistent, willing to pay a cost to get what they wanted, they display character. What "badass" usually describes in a film is someone who makes lots of quips, humiliates their enemy and generally spends a lot of time being cool. There's a lot of films that are afraid to let the audience make up their mind by watching, and so have to tell you.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

nate fisher posted:

Finally watched Athena on Netflix. I am sucker for one shots (fake or not) and the first 11 minutes has no visible cuts. It is presented as one shot, in which they used certain tricks to hide the cuts. What an amazing chaotic start. The whole movie is full of long shots of what is basically a riot. I really enjoyed it, and I loved the cinematography and editing. My only real complaints are the characters really don't matter. They are just vehicles for the viewers to be center of the chaos. Also, it does feel like it slows downs during the last act instead of having a true climax. Not that big of deal, and I mostly felt that way because the movie was going 100 miles an hour before that. Bonus points for the way they used shields in the movie, which I assume is a nod to the name of the movie.

Agreed on all of that. The first half of Athena is brutal. Ultimately however it doesn't have a lot to say, and becomes just depressing social realism - things are messed up, huh, but what can you do?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nonathlon posted:

I was thinking a similar thing the other day, when describing a character in a film as a "badass". What I meant was they were dogged, persistent, willing to pay a cost to get what they wanted, they display character. What "badass" usually describes in a film is someone who makes lots of quips, humiliates their enemy and generally spends a lot of time being cool. There's a lot of films that are afraid to let the audience make up their mind by watching, and so have to tell you.

Indiana Jones is a badass in Raiders.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

nate fisher posted:

Finally watched Athena on Netflix. I am sucker for one shots (fake or not) and the first 11 minutes has no visible cuts. It is presented as one shot, in which they used certain tricks to hide the cuts. What an amazing chaotic start. The whole movie is full of long shots of what is basically a riot. I really enjoyed it, and I loved the cinematography and editing. My only real complaints are the characters really don't matter. They are just vehicles for the viewers to be center of the chaos. Also, it does feel like the last act is much slower than the rest of the movie. We had nothing but chaos up to that point and much of the last act doesn't feel that way.

Bonus points for the way they used shields, which I assume is a nod to the name of the movie.

It's copaganda trash tho.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

mcmagic posted:

destroying my 4K copy of die hard in solidarity with this useless taek 🫡

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

mcmagic posted:

Interesting. Is that because of the ending and the murders were not cops? I think right wing extremists are a bigger threat than cops (if I was a person of color I guess I would feel different), so maybe that is why I didn't take it that way. I know the movie tried to be a stylistic action movie with substance, but in the end whatever message the movie was trying to get across was overshadowed by style. I wasn't left thinking about the brothers or cops or whatever, I was thinking about how the movie was filmed.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Dredd is so badass dude. like mad max theres almost no lines given to the titular character, and the movie is really about the side character's origin story

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Perfect action film? There was an entire era for those and they sure as poo poo weren't made in America or Australia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ZxghRE_jQ&t=197s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXDIFXjDd8g

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 15, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

buffalo all day posted:

destroying my 4K copy of die hard in solidarity with this useless taek 🫡

Hell no man in Die Hard they succeed in SPITE of the cops not because of them!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

nate fisher posted:

Interesting. Is that because of the ending and the murders were not cops? I think right wing extremists are a bigger threat than cops (if I was a person of color I guess I would feel different), so maybe that is why I didn't take it that way. I know the movie tried to be a stylistic action movie with substance, but in the end whatever message the movie was trying to get across was overshadowed by style. I wasn't left thinking about the brothers or cops or whatever, I was thinking about how the movie was filmed.

Cops kill innocent brown kids every day in the US and in France. The movie's message is "oh it's OK these cops are actually good and were framed by the bad nazis because cops are good. It's insulting.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Perfect action film? There was an entire era for those and they sure as poo poo weren't made in America or Australia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ZxghRE_jQ&t=197s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXDIFXjDd8g

This poster gets it

Righting Wrongs
Yes, Madam!
Royal Warriors
Police Story
Dragons Forever

All perfect action movies, all made in Hong Kong between 1985-1988.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
:hai:

Magnificent Warriors also proves what we all already knew, Michelle Yeoh would whoop Indiana Jones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieDT4t9KoF0&t=27s

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Orvin posted:

I think part of what makes Fury Road so great is that they filmed a lot of it on location with real people on real vehicles. It makes the film look beautiful in a way that CGI just can’t quite get. Admittedly the couple of CGI shots in the movie really stand out, but I will take the hokey looking shot of the steering wheel flying into the middle of the screen near the end if that’s what it takes to get the rest of the movie.

:lol: at "the couple of CGI shots." The movie is chock-full of CGI and most shots are heavily composited. But the larger point of shooting on location and using as much practical as possible grounding it all and selling it is accurate, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

feedmyleg posted:

:lol: at "the couple of CGI shots." The movie is chock-full of CGI and most shots are heavily composited. But the larger point of shooting on location and using as much practical as possible grounding it all and selling it is accurate, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24

This video is a pro click. I've sent it to a lot of people who say CGI sucks these days. While I'm sick of overuse of it (most movies these days are cartoons) there's no doubt it can be used to enhance visuals.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The trick is to actually do the stuff. You can composite it into whatever but you can't just make it in a computer, there's 100 subtle things that don't happen there and your brain says "it's fake". As opposed to actually doing it and removing the wires/compositing people into the shot/removing safety equipment/moving people closer or farther from the explosion/whatever.

As far as perfect action films: Predator, Commando, and Die Hard were all released 1985 - 1988 so it just seems like there's something in the water during that era.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

people talk a lot about best 3 movie runs for directors, predator->die hard->hunt for red October for mctiernan is pretty hard to top

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I would also consider Aliens a near perfect action film although it doesn't fall as comfortably into that tight 90 minutes/no bullshit framework that previously mentioned films do.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This poster gets it

Righting Wrongs
Yes, Madam!
Royal Warriors
Police Story
Dragons Forever

All perfect action movies, all made in Hong Kong between 1985-1988.

Hard Boiled and The Killer are on this list. I am a fan of A Better Tomorrow but it's not as good as the other two

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I watched Hard Boiled last week for the first time and it is absolutely excellent, yeah.

It’s not really on the same level (and Rob Schneider is a definite mark against it), but Van Damme’s Knock Off is another recent action watch that I really enjoyed.

https://youtu.be/LlwFzSGc770

It’s a Tsui Hark flick, so you know the action’s solid.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Giving School Spirits on Paramoint a try. It's fun, maybe it goes off a cliff later in the season but it feels like a mix of Veronica Mars and Ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I liked School Spirits. For some reason, it took me like half the season to realize the main actress plays Tory in Cobra Kai.