Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's how you get third party splatbooks.

It's ok if they keep that poo poo in there. Gives them an outlet that's completely optional for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bucnasti posted:

There may not be many people that say they need a super hero game that's more like DnD...
But there's a lot of people out there that say "I need my DnD game to have more super powers in it".
For that matter there's a lot of people out there that say "I need my DnD game to have more of <kinky sex/super powers/dragons/technology/super spies/race cars/cyborgs/kinky sex with cyborg racing car dragons> in it" and that's how we get terrible games.

I'm good with all of those except for the extreme amounts of kinky sex. I'm pretty vanilla.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

goatface posted:

That's how you get third party splatbooks.

It's ok if they keep that poo poo in there. Gives them an outlet that's completely optional for everyone else.

My problem is when people try to bolt things onto DnD that are just not appropriate, like Super Heroes, especially when there are already games that do that specific thing really well. It's like this weird cargo cult mentality, they've only ever seen one game system and instead of broadening their horizons they double down on six stats and 20 sided dice.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Don't try and understand or fix them, they're not your problem to solve. State your reasons, decline, and move on in a spirit of dynamic chill.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I just find wasted potential frustrating.
Like you've got a cool original idea here and then you hamstring it with armor class and leveled advancement.

Does anyone know of a good example of a non-fantasy genre game based on DnD that's good?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The very first (that I know of) superhero game was Superhero:2044 from 1977 and is a very clumsy system.

And it has been uploaded to the internet archive if anybody wants to take a look at it (It's been out of print since 1978 or 1979 at the latest).

Bucnasti posted:

I just find wasted potential frustrating.
Like you've got a cool original idea here and then you hamstring it with armor class and leveled advancement.

Does anyone know of a good example of a non-fantasy genre game based on DnD that's good?

There are a lot working off OSR based systems.

Guardians, Colonial Troopers, Warriors of the Red Planet, and Raiders (all from Night Owl games) are all OSR and not bad. Kevin Crawford's Sine Nomine games are all OSR and are very good and run a gamut of genres. Eric Bloat does poorly proofread, but decent quality games with his 'Survive This' series

SpyCraft is D20 based and is very good (especially 2e), but I should probably exclude D20 because the OGL let people create all kinds of poo poo with it...some good, most wretched.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 11, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
To be clear, the crappy ones I was thinking of are Hideouts & Hoodlums and another one whose name I honestly can't remember. Pretty early OSR stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

I'll take your word for it, but that's surprising to me. My experience with superhero games is limited to Champions and HERO system back in the olden days, and then PDQ T&J. None of those are built like dungeon crawl games.

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't think of a lot of examples that aren't pre-1985. I played a good bit of Mutants & Masterminds, but being D20-based didn't really make the game inherently dungeoncrawly. There were a couple attempts at superhero games in the early OSR, but they're obscure and they suck.
The core gameplay loop of dungeon crawlers is go in somewhere -> defeat(including "sneaking past" or whatever) monsters and traps and puzzles -> fill up your progress bars with money and items and XP -> get beefier -> go somewhere with beefier enemies -> repeat

This was expanded to replace step 2 with "defeat quest" but the reward is still filling various progress bars until you unlock the next power/item/boon/whatever.

Trying to hack a hack of monster killing for loot is still going to lead to monster killing for loot, except instead of "stab the monster" it's "punch the villain/disarm the bomb", but the mechanical incentive is still to use your cool powers to break the xp pinata to get new cool powers. Champions, HERO, and mutants and masterminds are all point buy but they're still married to that same basic loop.

Leperflesh posted:

I wonder why someone would look at those games and I assume others in the genre and go "I know, what the world needs is a superhero game that is a lot more like D&D!"
Because dungeon crawling where you go into holes in the ground to get xp/money/loot to fill up your progress bars to get cool new powers, but superhero flavoured instead of pseudo-european fantasy flavoured, is a fun concept and gameplay loop! Which is why it's so funny that they looked at all these examples of superhero games which were basically already that mechanically /in spite of themselves/, and then decided to pick a starting point as far away from them as possible.

e: cooking metaphor: It's like if I saw people trying to make souffles on a stovetop and reacted by trying to make scrambled eggs in the oven.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 12, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Bucnasti posted:

There may not be many people that say they need a super hero game that's more like DnD...
But there's a lot of people out there that say "I need my DnD game to have more super powers in it".
For that matter there's a lot of people out there that say "I need my DnD game to have more of <kinky sex/super powers/dragons/technology/super spies/race cars/cyborgs/kinky sex with cyborg racing car dragons> in it" and that's how we get terrible games.

The problem isn't trying to mix D&D with other genres, the problem is doing it badly

Splicer posted:

The core gameplay loop of dungeon crawlers is go in somewhere -> defeat(including "sneaking past" or whatever) monsters and traps and puzzles -> fill up your progress bars with money and items and XP -> get beefier -> go somewhere with beefier enemies -> repeat

This was expanded to replace step 2 with "defeat quest" but the reward is still filling various progress bars until you unlock the next power/item/boon/whatever.

Trying to hack a hack of monster killing for loot is still going to lead to monster killing for loot, except instead of "stab the monster" it's "punch the villain/disarm the bomb", but the mechanical incentive is still to use your cool powers to break the xp pinata to get new cool powers. Champions, HERO, and mutants and masterminds are all point buy but they're still married to that same basic loop.

Because dungeon crawling where you go into holes in the ground to get xp/money/loot to fill up your progress bars to get cool new powers, but superhero flavoured instead of pseudo-european fantasy flavoured, is a fun concept and gameplay loop! Which is why it's so funny that they looked at all these examples of superhero games which were basically already that mechanically /in spite of themselves/, and then decided to pick a starting point as far away from them as possible.

e: cooking metaphor: It's like if I saw people trying to make souffles on a stovetop and reacted by trying to make scrambled eggs in the oven.

Exactly, genre blending is fun, got some ideas for a D&D/Superhero setting mash I really need to get around to fleshing out

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

Monica Geller, is that you?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I still reckon Hillfolk would be the best system for running superhero games in

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I came to y'all a while ago asking about selling this and I've figured out how to ship it, limited to these 3 boxes - so if anyone is interested, find me in SA Mart and make an offer.

Thanks again Leperflesh for pushing me to try selling on here.

Full inventory: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dv3pTRYcHVCu4uYcuQ1ZO7b6ZgqRqlX-2k1Ammd3C7c/edit?usp=sharing

Some samples:

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Aug 13, 2023

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Whybird posted:

Hillfolk is the KS I backed because I knew if it was a success, Feng Shui 2 would be kickstarted. I dislike everything about Hillfolk.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Do we have a thread for VTT development?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Hillfolk is the KS I backed because I knew if it was a success, Feng Shui 2 would be kickstarted. I dislike everything about Hillfolk.

Could you expand on this? I got it a while back but haven't had a chance to actually look through the book myself. I thought Hamlet's Hit Points was interesting, and it was presented as building on that.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Could you expand on this? I got it a while back but haven't had a chance to actually look through the book myself. I thought Hamlet's Hit Points was interesting, and it was presented as building on that.

Personal taste. I'm not a fan of that style of game in the slightest. I'm absolutely not slamming Hillfolk for being a bad game; I can't make that judgment because I have never played it, and it may be wonderful in its particular niche. It's just that that niche is not one I enjoy.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Angrymog posted:

Do we have a thread for VTT development?

As in new ones or plugins for roll20/foundry/tts etc?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

hyphz posted:

As in new ones or plugins for roll20/foundry/tts etc?

Plugins and developing stuff for them, especially Foundry as I actually own that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Angrymog posted:

Plugins and developing stuff for them, especially Foundry as I actually own that.

There hasn't been much discussion of actually developing plugins, but if you check the D&D 5e and PF2e threads, people have posted lists of plugins they use/recommend.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Arivia posted:

There hasn't been much discussion of actually developing plugins, but if you check the D&D 5e and PF2e threads, people have posted lists of plugins they use/recommend.

That's kind of useful, but I'm specifically after guidance on writting a system for it. I would like to adapt Würm because I much prefer Foundry to R20

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Angrymog posted:

That's kind of useful, but I'm specifically after guidance on writting a system for it. I would like to adapt Würm because I much prefer Foundry to R20

All of that discussion is going to be on the official Foundry discord.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

https://sersavictory.itch.io/cyclic-dungeon-generation

I have been reading about cyclic dungeon generation, which is a method for procedural dungeon generation that was originally developed for the video game Unexplored but has been adapted for TRPGS. I love the focus on having little nested narratives in the dungeon.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Whybird posted:

Surprisingly but pleasingly, there’s a two player version in development. The playtest NDA is strict but I’m pretty happy with the changes.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

SimonChris posted:

https://sersavictory.itch.io/cyclic-dungeon-generation

I have been reading about cyclic dungeon generation, which is a method for procedural dungeon generation that was originally developed for the video game Unexplored but has been adapted for TRPGS. I love the focus on having little nested narratives in the dungeon.

Looking forward to checking this out. I think cyclic generation is super cool and have actually been toying with writing a dungeon generator that uses that technique, which I'm surprised hasn't been ripped off by more games (Diablo 4, I'm looking at you).

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I know that Hillfolk is actually about Bronze Age stuff, but every time it’s mentioned it just reminds me of Kenneth from 30 Rock.

(Though Kenneth was alive during the Bronze Age, so it works out.)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Gatto Grigio posted:

I know that Hillfolk is actually about Bronze Age stuff, but every time it’s mentioned it just reminds me of Kenneth from 30 Rock.

(Though Kenneth was alive during the Bronze Age, so it works out.)

Sure but Stone Mountain Georgia wasn't a very interesting place during the bronze age.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Stone Mountain is the largest discreet piece of granite in the world, that's almost interesting. And it wouldn't be defaced back in the Bronze Age.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bucnasti posted:

Sure but Stone Mountain Georgia wasn't a very interesting place during the bronze age.

We don't know that. The locals might have been having all sorts of fun that didn't survive the ages.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

goatface posted:

We don't know that. The locals might have been having all sorts of fun that didn't survive the ages.

You know what, you're right. It's a reflection of my piss poor American education that I automatically assumed that nothing noteworthy was going on in North America 3000 years ago.

Kenneth and his Native American neighbors were probably enjoying themselves at the Chuckle Hut during the Bronze age.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

North America also never really had a "bronze age." That terminology is eurasian in origin and focus. Mesoamericans did develop copper metallurgy, although primarily for decorative and ceremonial objects used by elites, and not focusing on bronze smelting as an industrial output for tools or weapons. North Americans used solid copper cold worked objects but did not independently develop smelting.

That said, I think there probably were interesting things going on in the Chuckle Hut region during the centuries we refer to as the bronze age when discussing european prehistory.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
They hadn't invented fire yet though; it's the devil's temperature.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

That said, I think there probably were interesting things going on in the Chuckle Hut region during the centuries we refer to as the bronze age when discussing european prehistory.

I know this! The archeological period in North America roughly coinciding with the Bronze Age is called the Archaic period. There’s not much to go on, but people were living that hunter gatherer-ish lifestyle. They get pottery towards the end of the Archaic period, with the oldest found in Georgia. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaic_period_(North_America)

There are some Archaic period mounds, but the big time mound-builder sedentary city-state people were the Mississippian culture that started somewhat later, maybe ~800 CE. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippian_culture

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Is anybody else going to Big Bad Con in the Bay Area?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Heck yeah and not even to work or promote or anything. It's just my favorite con.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
They just dropped the Events list, so I'm going through it now.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Are there any recommended places to look for online ttrpg games?

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

walruscat posted:

Are there any recommended places to look for online ttrpg games?

I’ve had the best luck with tRPG Discord threads.

SA has its own trad games Discord channel, as does System Mastery. Most of the major rpg companies also have channels.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

There is a Monthly TTRPG online convention, called TTRPG Pickup Con.
https://warhorn.net/events/ttrpg-pickup-con/

The events tend to fill up fast, but I played in one a few months ago and it was pretty good.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Any suggestions for an RPG with oldschool gonzo fantasy feel (e.g. crazy violence, wild sci-fi crossover, and a heavy emphasis on weird poo poo) but without trying to go all OSR in mechanics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Is anybody else going to Big Bad Con in the Bay Area?

I should.