Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Gangrel popping up from under a manhole cover

KIRYU-CHAAAAAN!

Kurieg posted:

Yakuza: Like a Dracul

Someone do this and let me just throw money at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda sounds like the werewolves may just be game wardens.

Now wondering if they run into a problem because of a lack of vampires/mages/prometheans to keep the balance of a place.

Also comes to mind I feel Vampire can and probably should lean into how vampiric society is effectively the mafia. For all the strict rules and pretentions of honour, it's an ultimately parasitic and predatory existence based on violence and exploitation. Plus, Vampire Yakuza sounds hilarious.

I usually just run it that vampires are outsiders to the balance anyway, it's just they don't matter enough to the lupines to be worth cleaning out.

Slig posted:

Someone do this and let me just throw money at it

I ran an entire campaign that was literally this with KotE back in the early 2000s because it was the only option available. Only the first two games had come out at that point though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Considering that most Garou other than the two explicitly city-dwelling tribes probably think of anything larger than, maybe, a market fair town as a scab on Gaia's hide, I imagine vampires would be seen as a sort of hyper-cancer if they just hang out and eat people. 'Actually, it would be cool if you do somewhat more of that.'

They even estivate if there's no food for a long time!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
To clarify, I'm still taking about the weird custom take on lupines I use in my own vampire games and have for the last 20+ years. Actual game meta, who the gently caress knows, WtA lore has never made any sense in context with the test of WoD, in my opinion.

The lupines in my games spend the majority of their time tending the spirit world and helping it come to terms with the advancement of human society as new spirits of glass and concrete and sewage and whatnot are born and need to find a place in the Umbra side of things. They COULD just try to destroy all the creations of man, but that's a lost cause and losing battle, their main job is keeping the spirits friendly and preventing weird spiritual rot or all out wars between spirit beings on the other side.

By that metric, vampires are just some parasite on the human side of things that don't make too many waves because they rarely have numbers. When they do, the lupines come take care of poo poo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fuzz posted:

To clarify, I'm still taking about the weird custom take on lupines I use on my own vampire games and have four the last 20+ years. Actual game meta, who the gently caress knows, WtA lore has never made any sense in context with the test of WoD, in my opinion.

The lupines in my games spend the majority of their time tending the spirit world and helping it come to terms with the advancement of human society as new spirits of glass and concrete and sewage and whatnot are born and need to find a place in the Umbra side of things. They COULD just try to destroy all the creations of man, but that's a lost cause and losing battle, their main job is keeping the spirits friendly and preventing weird spiritual rot or all out wars between spirit beings on the other side.
Werewolf honestly has significant support for this part, presumably your PCs (if you're vampire focused) are just never encountering the other guys if they exist at all. I think a lot of the World of Darkness games have suffered from internet people striving to create grand unified theories instead of looking at what their chronicle is doing. Treat any metaplot stuff as fun references or as fodder for crossover -- the coterie ends up working with an enigmatic government agent to accomplish some goal, and he name-drops himself as John Courage at the end before proceding to the next daring operation.

I think this is a lot of the staying power of oWoD (other than nostalgia, which is, of course, the greater part): you have a huge pre-fabricated toolkit, so you can assemble 'your own story' more easily out of what you have laying around the various hoary tomes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kurieg posted:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

Werewolf honestly has significant support for this part, presumably your PCs (if you're vampire focused) are just never encountering the other guys if they exist at all. I think a lot of the World of Darkness games have suffered from internet people striving to create grand unified theories instead of looking at what their chronicle is doing. Treat any metaplot stuff as fun references or as fodder for crossover -- the coterie ends up working with an enigmatic government agent to accomplish some goal, and he name-drops himself as John Courage at the end before proceding to the next daring operation.

Yeah, the proper course of action has to always be assume the cosmology of the game you're running is the right one.

My favorite view from the outside was Hunter which for all its faults didn't hew as close to the established stuff as one might think and the Imbued would talk about things like "Yeah, I dunno man, he screamed about a pair of something and then his limbs burst into flames and he exploded."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I saw this and thought of loomer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
My god... It all makes perfect sense now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The Cool S-ephirot

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does anyone else hear Cruel Angel's Thesis?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dawgstar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIZL5qeEKj0

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dawgstar posted:

Cool Angels ThesiS

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Cool Angels ThesiS

whoa

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Kurieg posted:

"You're all in Clan LDP. Yeah, all of you."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The more J. Sambrano reveals about the original stuff Hunters was working on for Woof 5E the more frustrating the finished product is. You might think to yourself, "I, as an educated goon of the world, surely would think they talk about climate collapse a lot in the book!" I tell you friends, no.

Jfsambrano posted:

When Hunters was working it was a major aspect of what we were writing. Every single Tribe had their own take on it and their own response. It was referred to as the Malady and Gaia's Howl was a result of it. They seem like they are both barely touched in this version and I wonder if there was some executive decision about it contributing too much to bloat or something, so they just cut the theme entirely.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

The more J. Sambrano reveals about the original stuff Hunters was working on for Woof 5E the more frustrating the finished product is. You might think to yourself, "I, as an educated goon of the world, surely would think they talk about climate collapse a lot in the book!" I tell you friends, no.

Wereterriers, etc.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

creating a new fan splat called 'Protagonist: The Cliche' where people get power by embodying different heroic archetypes. they get protection from their poor choices (frontal solo assault with no shirt on) but nobody around them does, so the mandatory white wolf angst is satisfied by their buddies constantly dying in their arms ten days from retirement. and also behaving more like a heroic cliche than a real person will eventually drive away everyone you know except those also caught up in your myth (sidekick, nemesis, love interest etc)

i guess their resource would be like 'heroism' and their mandatory negative thing is dependent on their type of hero, but i guess its the cliche they adhere to.

the clans/packs/lineage equivalent would be genres and you could have like:

the Quixote - people who adhere to anachronistic ideals of chivalry that maybe never even existed in the first place, their cliche is 'delusion' where they mistake modern stuff as mythic equivalents progressively more the more they use their abilities

the Antihero - edgy bois. their cliche is 'edginess' where they become more edgy and offputting

the Mary Sue - any gender, beautiful, all-talented people everyone is enthralled with. their cliche is 'clumsiness', where the only flaw they're allowed to have becomes kind of a magnet for every other negative they offset, so if they get too mary-sue too often they will fall down the loving stairs and take aggravated harm

i was originally intending this as a post mocking the stock format of white wolf games but then i got kind of into the idea too much

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
That sounds really fun for one shots, or for 2-3 session games.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

juggalo baby coffin posted:

creating a new fan splat called 'Protagonist: The Cliche' where people get power by embodying different heroic archetypes. they get protection from their poor choices (frontal solo assault with no shirt on) but nobody around them does, so the mandatory white wolf angst is satisfied by their buddies constantly dying in their arms ten days from retirement. and also behaving more like a heroic cliche than a real person will eventually drive away everyone you know except those also caught up in your myth (sidekick, nemesis, love interest etc)

i guess their resource would be like 'heroism' and their mandatory negative thing is dependent on their type of hero, but i guess its the cliche they adhere to.

the Quixote - people who adhere to anachronistic ideals of chivalry that maybe never even existed in the first place, their cliche is 'delusion' where they mistake modern stuff as mythic equivalents progressively more the more they use their abilities

the Antihero - edgy bois. their cliche is 'edginess' where they become more edgy and offputting

the Mary Sue - any gender, beautiful, all-talented people everyone is enthralled with. their cliche is 'clumsiness', where the only flaw they're allowed to have becomes kind of a magnet for every other negative they offset, so if they get too mary-sue too often they will fall down the loving stairs and take aggravated harm

i was originally intending this as a post mocking the stock format of white wolf games but then i got kind of into the idea too much

The Unwilling - they don't want to save the day, but they keep finding themselves in situations that need fixing. "I was just shopping for a christmas present, and terrorists took over the building' or the cop who just wants to wait out his retirement at his desk, but poo poo keeps coming down, or the guy with asthma and coke-bottle horn rim glasses and a bowtie that just happens to know how to write a virus for an alien spaceship.

The Broken - Pain don't hurt, but your resilience and skills comes at the price of no longer being part of the society you bled and fought for. Nothing is over! NOTHING! You don't just turn it off!

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Skeleton: The Rattling
a spooky scary storytelling game

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I Am Just a Box posted:

the sub-factions are what instruments you play. Are you a dooter? Do you play your own ribcage as a xylophone?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

You've basically described Beast except from the perspective of the heroes. We did it gang, we finally fixed Beast :v:

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

the sub-factions are what instruments you play. Are you a dooter? Do you play your own ribcage as a xylophone?

Taking a cue from Vampire, where you spend blood points to use Disciplines, in Skeleton activating supernatural powers costs bones.

Don't spend too many.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Spend your fingerbones for extra dice at a steadily expanding Dex penalty! On a 10, regain one fingerbone!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

You've basically described Beast except from the perspective of the heroes. We did it gang, we finally fixed Beast :v:

Beasts themselves also work a lot better than heroes for the characterisation the heroes were given in beast, ie that they were some kind of deluded, self-righteous bullies

Heroes work pretty well as a concept for the 'normal' counterpart to the supernaturals, since supernaturals are basically all fairytale characters to begin with, and their counter in their own origins is some kind of human hero. There's also a shitload of heroic archetypes, from antiquity to modern times, and a big range. You've got everything from Cú Chulainn body horror transformations to modern Heroic Bloodshed ex-triad guys unleashing doves while they fly through the air shooting guys.

edit:

with the skeletons your two opposing axises could be 'spookiness' and 'silliness'. You have to balance out how much you pop out of barrels to scare people vs how much you play your ribs as a big xylophone. High spookiness skeletons start to get like angular and a bit spiky looking, high silliness skeletons get all rounded and cheerful looking.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

with the skeletons your two opposing axises could be 'spookiness' and 'silliness'. You have to balance out how much you pop out of barrels to scare people vs how much you play your ribs as a big xylophone. High spookiness skeletons start to get like angular and a bit spiky looking, high silliness skeletons get all rounded and cheerful looking.

This is just a Lasers and Feelings hack.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Beast heroes were infinitely more compelling when they were the literal personification of the spiritual damage that Beasts leave behind. But that would require Beasts to be *wrong* about something, and we can't have that.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I Am Just a Box posted:

Well at least keeping up a Masquerade will be easy for them. I hear there are already skeletons hidden within human society, wearing flesh-suits

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kurieg posted:

Beast heroes were infinitely more compelling when they were the literal personification of the spiritual damage that Beasts leave behind. But that would require Beasts to be *wrong* about something, and we can't have that.

My idea is for heroes to be an integral part of the beast lifecycle, like the expectation is for someone to eventually slay you but then jam your soulstone in their head or become corrupted by your treasure hoard.

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

The starting adventure is to keep all those goths and their bad poetry out of your graveyard.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

My idea is for heroes to be an integral part of the beast lifecycle, like the expectation is for someone to eventually slay you but then jam your soulstone in their head or become corrupted by your treasure hoard.

that's a really good idea because it also implies that the player characters are former heroes, which could be one of the steps in character creation and also have a good reason for the PCs to already be partially immersed in supernatural stuff but from the opposite perspective. it'd also change the struggle/angst source in the game, instead of being like weird resentful abusers the beasts would be heroes trying to stay heroic while dealing with new powers and instincts. And trying to avoid people from their former hero life who are trying to 'save' them, whether by mercy killing them or trying to cure them.

i guess you'd drop the 'hunger' part of character creation (because thats like where a lot of the grosser stuff in Beast is) and replace it with idk 'the hero you were', then monster family would be 'the beast you've become'. i guess they need one word Noun titles.

so for example you'd have sample npcs like:

Jenny Diablo
Hero Type - Quixotic
Beast Type - Infernal

First result for 'female knight with glasses' on google images

Jenny's family moved around a lot when she was a kid, so she never really got to establish long term friendships. To cope, she retreated into fantasy novels about true companions, bound together to the death by heroism and fate. After she went off to college she got into LARPing and reenactment, using money she made off magical realm style erotica to amass a collection of arms and armor. People thought she was kinda weird as she like being in-character way too much, but she did become the center of a core group of likeminded nerds. Little did she know that her lifestyle and psychology were bringing her into alignment with the role of the Quixote, and soon she became able to see the supernatural unobscured. Her bond with her companions allowed them to share this power to varying degrees (only her Sancho Panza, a man known as Stoner Dave, shares it to the full extent), leading them to become a weird nerdy hunter group of dubious efficacy.

Part of the Quixote's fate is to eventually suffer bittersweet return to normality, but as Jenny never really got to experience stable normality her fate took another route. The True Companions hunted an unusual creature, something that was demon-like but not one of the god machine's rebel servants. When they finally broke into its lair, and tore the heart crystal from its chest, Jenny seemed to change. Their research told them it was potentially just the beginning of the end of her time as a hero: they had achieved a great triumph, now the Quixote must depart and leave the normal person behind.

In truth Jenny had seen images of her life in the facets of the heart crystal, of the true companions dissolving, of her doing data entry, stuff that sucks. It had told her there was only one way out; she had to plunge the crystal into her chest. It was just power, and she was pure of heart enough to handle it, after all.

Only Stoner Dave has the supernatural sense to see the glow beneath Jennys shirt on the rare occassions they still see each other, but nobody really takes him seriously. After all, he does smoke a lot of weed and that can make people paranoid.

Murderin' Joe
Hero Type - Powerseeker
Beast Type - Technological

Joe was a soldier. Joe got experimented on (by insert Evil Company Here). He had read too many wolverine comics in the 90s and so he actually really liked being a human weapon, and pursued it as far as he could, volunteering for more and more cybernetics and gene therapy and whatnot. Combined with his feats of martial heroism, this set him on the tragic path of the Powerseeker. Not that he really saw it as tragic, given that what he really wanted to do was rip peoples limbs off and punch through chests.

He was pretty pissed when he ran into supernaturals, as they could do poo poo he couldn't. But it usually didn't help them. He was out there mowing down werewolves with a minigun full of silver bullets, he had like a whole rifts sourcebook full of stupid cyberware. He was like sam haight combined with the bad guy from robocop 2

Unfortunately the lot of the powerseeker is one of two fates; you're either the toughest and have to spend your whole life maintaining that lead, or you arent the toughest and you get your legs pulled off. Joe was heading for the second, his masters deployed him against a rival corps cyborg program which turned out to actually be a Beast embodying fear of technological progress. He stumbled into its lair and got taken to clown town, until the towering rival cyborg seemed to just.. give up.

Maybe it realised the folly of cybermunchkin life, or maybe its nature as a being of technological malice just made it crash at the worst possible moment.

Joe scrapped it for parts, and replaced the final fleshy part of his own body with the Beast's own brain. Normally this would be insane to do, and supernormally it's also insane to do, but instead of dying when the last few wet pounds of Meat Joe hit the floor, he was reborn as a true cybernetic terror. He combines so many templates and splats you guys, for real.

Unfortunately for Joe, his meat brain had also been the source of a lot of his madness. The new cyber brain, while very resistant to harm, is also a bit more reasonable. Mowing down crowds of defenseless humans or barely-more-defenseful vampires just doesn't make his soul sing like it used to. His former handlers are after him, since he escaped the cortex bomb they put in him when he pulled his own brain out. A cool enough dude could meet Joe and direct him away from 90s edginess, and maybe he could join some kind of roleplaying group team

this ended up a lot longer than i intended, sorry. I guess i see why those mixed quality sample npcs are always 4 pages long.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 16, 2023

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Don't apologize, it's better than mage chat!

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

Speaking of, how come I hear so much about Luna but never anything about the Sun? They have Solar spirits, right? It feels like there's no gameline book that really explores that at all.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the sun belongs to the werecats

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mokole revere Sun.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the general universe of werewolf: the apocalypse seems like it would work better as a like.. Spirit Island roleplaying game. it builds this huge, interesting spirit world then kinda isolates the players to a very small slice of that world.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

the general universe of werewolf: the apocalypse seems like it would work better as a like.. Spirit Island roleplaying game. it builds this huge, interesting spirit world then kinda isolates the players to a very small slice of that world.
I think Garou can play with most of it, they’re just primarily or default linked to the Moon and everything.

Naturally you’re not likely to use all of it in a campaign.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Spector29 posted:

Speaking of, how come I hear so much about Luna but never anything about the Sun? They have Solar spirits, right? It feels like there's no gameline book that really explores that at all.

Helios has his moments. Mokole' like him and Corax do too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Spector29 posted:

In nWoD/CofD Helios is referenced quite a bit - Helions have as much detail as Lunes do in WtF 1e, for example, and it's canon that He creates the Hisil's gravity by pushing everything away from himself rather than by everything being pulled towards the earth like in some gaia-centric cosmologies. (With extra added effect that everything in the Shadow World is heavier in the daytime!)