Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I know that in general, Christian games are some low-hanging fruit but Saints of Virtue is astonishingly poor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60_Hwr_csQ4

The_Franz posted:

That interface reminds me of the Pie in the Sky Game Creation System.
La Cosa Nostra is possibly the most unintentionally funny game I've ever seen (at least which uses this engine). Every time you get hit, the dude on the HUD changes pose. Get hit multiple times in quick succession and he goes absolutely apeshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Bogus Adventure posted:

If you've never seen it, uh, here's a slice of what that cacophony of dissonant color and garbage was like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_H67dDqU0o

There really was a lot of cocaine in Hollywood in the 80s, wasn't there.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean compared to a lot of 70's animations it's drat right tame.

Not even the craziest " F**** the Cat" movie in existence.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

shoeberto posted:

There really was a lot of cocaine in Hollywood in the 80s, wasn't there.

you should see the Ralph Bakshi/Frank Frazetta 80's masterpiece "Fire and Ice"

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Unperson_47 posted:

Y'all talking about that Spiderman cartoon maker made me remember The Simpsons: Cartoon STudio and Virtual Springfield that I owned and played the hell out of. :allears:
Virtual Springfield came out the same month the 9th season of The Simpsons started.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Croccers posted:

Virtual Springfield came out the same month the 9th season of The Simpsons started.

It’s odd to see nostalgia for Virtual Springfield, I paid full retail price as a mega fan and while not a disaster (and always good to hear Phil Hartman) it was very short. For example when you go to the Kwik E Mart can click on Apu to hear a few lines and interact with some objects, within two minutes you’ve done all there is to do. You can “play” Larry the Looter but it’s the exact same as in the show.

Overall some decent gags but after a few hours nothing left & wished I had gotten a different game. Maybe for $5 it would have been fine. On that note does anyone else remember in early 2000s when some stores would sell game CDs at a discount that looked like the full version but in very small print on the back noted they were only the first three levels?

For terrible game content, Tropico 2: Pirate’s Cove. The first game was a favorite as it was relaxing to build an island economy while caring about citizens & worrying about elections, so I was looking forward to a sequel. This was set in Caribbean pirate times but was a weird mash up of themes and had clunky gameplay.

For example in the first game gotta build roads & farms but your workers are paid & live somewhere & there is incentive to give them decent lives. In Tropico 2 pirates don’t do manual labor so need to use slaves that are kidnapped from colonies or ships. There’s no racial slavery, but you still need to force women to staff brothels under pain of death which there is a name for in real life & not a great look for the game, especially contrasted with building a shop selling wacky parrots & peg legs.

Some elements felt half baked, like pirates wanting lots of anarchy decor and skeletons walking around, although it was fun to send out ships to raid merchants. Overall could have done the same idea with no slavery component and been fine.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Overall some decent gags but after a few hours nothing left & wished I had gotten a different game. Maybe for $5 it would have been fine. On that note does anyone else remember in early 2000s when some stores would sell game CDs at a discount that looked like the full version but in very small print on the back noted they were only the first three levels?

Yes, I bought Deus Ex - Limited Edition. Limited in that it was limited to the demo. It was a piss-off.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Tarkus posted:

Yes, I bought Deus Ex - Limited Edition. Limited in that it was limited to the demo. It was a piss-off.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

As far as demo's go, the first map of Deus Ex is a pretty good one tho

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It’s odd to see nostalgia for Virtual Springfield, I paid full retail price as a mega fan and while not a disaster (and always good to hear Phil Hartman) it was very short.

Virtual Springfield let you explore pretty much every major location in the show and walk the streets of Springfield but yeah, it's a bit like those old "Activity Center" programs that were just a lot of clicking random things to hear funny noises/references to the show and maybe play a minigame. I still think very fondly of it and play through it every few years.

Also there are collectible cards scattered throughout the world and the only way I think it's possible to get them all is to abuse what I can only guess was a debug feature put in by the devs where you look behind a poster and there will be a card you haven't gotten yet behind it every single time.

I got my copy of Virtual Springfield from a Software, Etc. in the mall at the same time I got Microprose's Magic the Gathering and Mechwarrior 2: Titanium Edition.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 15, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

MrQwerty posted:

you should see the Ralph Bakshi/Frank Frazetta 80's masterpiece "Fire and Ice"

Yeah, but that's a good movie. Felix the Cat is garbage.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tarkus posted:

There was a pirate release of Deus Ex that used the exe from the demo, so it crashed when you try to leave Liberty Island. The reason for the crash wasn't obvious, so forums got flooded with 'wtf this stupid game is broken" from people who didn't know they were telling on themselves.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Hyrax Attack! posted:

On that note does anyone else remember in early 2000s when some stores would sell game CDs at a discount that looked like the full version but in very small print on the back noted they were only the first three levels?

:argh: My local newsagent not only had demo CDs that looked like the full game they also took the demo discs out of the pc magazines and made you pay twice for them, if I was older at the time I would have reported them to their distributors for that little rear end in a top hat move.

Speaking of animators I had a copy of the rather low effort wallice and gromit cracking animator, it was more of an overpriced bunch of interactive screensavers than a game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSIa7rajrkw
I remember it having a grand total of like 3 muzak tracks you could use in your screensaver.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There was a pirate release of Deus Ex that used the exe from the demo, so it crashed when you try to leave Liberty Island. The reason for the crash wasn't obvious, so forums got flooded with 'wtf this stupid game is broken" from people who didn't know they were telling on themselves.

It's funny you say that. After I had bought the lovely disc and was upset with it, I pirated the game and it was hosed in the exact way you mention. I wound up never playing Deus Ex.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tarkus posted:

It's funny you say that. After I had bought the lovely disc and was upset with it, I pirated the game and it was hosed in the exact way you mention. I wound up never playing Deus Ex.

:haw:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I remember coming across a Serious Sam CDROM, and I was excited because I had played the shareware version and was eager for the full game. Can you guess what was on it?

It's a moot point now that the industry has moved far beyond it, but someone should have made that poo poo illegal.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Tarkus posted:

Oh no! No! I bought the Mac version off a rando on a message board and went in cold. Been chasing that feeling for 25 years.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Crayola Art Studio was terrible, and yet, child me was obsessed with it.

the sound effects live inside me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lo7UJ9sYDs

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
PC gaming is a lot nicer now in a sense that the games mostly work, and you don't need to screw around with bat files to get x-wing to run, or sent a letter to a software company to get a floppy disk patch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Extra Large Marge posted:

PC gaming is a lot nicer now in a sense that the games mostly work, and you don't need to screw around with bat files to get x-wing to run, or sent a letter to a software company to get a floppy disk patch.

Exactly! Sure, there's SOME charm to fiddling around with poo poo that can't just be patched ("Why can't I play Phantom of the Opera Return of the Phantom for DOS? I edited my autoexec.bat and himem.sys files. I disabled my mouse driver ffs! What more do you need?!?"), but overall, I really appreciate buying, downloading and running games from Steam or GOG and them largely just working fine.

Edit: holy gently caress... It's on Steam! I have no idea if it's worth it, but I had that floppy for YEARS when we had our first family computer and could never get it to run. By the time we upgraded to a Pentium, I had long since lost the disk.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 15, 2023

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Now that memories are coming back, you know what was a lovely game? Ultima 9 ascension. I tried soooo hard to like the game and complete it but it was just so clunky and everything was so half-finished.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Did anyone manage to get rise of the triad to run back in the day without constantly getting that pushwall tried to escape level error?
I also got a dud copy of roller coaster tycoon once, the CD rom must have missed a step at the factory because no drive would even recognize it as a viable disc to spin up.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I know that in general, Christian games are some low-hanging fruit but Saints of Virtue is astonishingly poor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60_Hwr_csQ4

Not only did Saints of Virtue suck out loud, it was also ridiculously difficult. Also it was pretty loving funny that the first level is a ~worldly, secular mall~.

The Redemption CCG cards based on the game were way OP though, I remember the evil masks in particular being great evil minions. That whole card game had a weird vibe where for being so Christian, the forces of evil sure were cooler and stronger and more varied.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Tarkus posted:

Now that memories are coming back, you know what was a lovely game? Ultima 9 ascension. I tried soooo hard to like the game and complete it but it was just so clunky and everything was so half-finished.

Kinda shocking to me that there hasn't been an earnest attempt to revive Ultima recently. You'd think someone would attempt it to ride on the name.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

shoeberto posted:

Kinda shocking to me that there hasn't been an earnest attempt to revive Ultima recently. You'd think someone would attempt it to ride on the name.

shroud of the avatar made sure that will never happen. check out the thread in mmo hmo if you wanna see an absolute trainwreck.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Tarkus posted:

It seemed really amazing for the first 3 or so hours of gameplay iirc because of the graphics and the detail in the Avatar's real-life house and Britain. Then you got to the first dungeon and it's such a slog that the thought of finishing another 7 ruins the game. The map and virtue cards which came in the box were pretty cool though.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

nice obelisk idiot posted:

It seemed really amazing for the first 3 or so hours of gameplay iirc because of the graphics and the detail in the Avatar's real-life house and Britain. Then you got to the first dungeon and it's such a slog that the thought of finishing another 7 ruins the game. The map and virtue cards which came in the box were pretty cool though.

Yeah, once I got to that island or whatever with all the piers and stuff that was it for me. Something was just too awful to play and I stopped, can't remember exactly what though. It was though, for the time, a very nice looking game.

Benoit
Jun 26, 2006

FLY NAVY
Some of y’all have never raced the thunder for hours to win the Championship from Rowdy Burns, only to lose it with one poorly-executed pit stop, and it shows.

“Days of Thunder” has all you could require to increase blood pressure and/or neck tension:
- No real sense of changes in speed, speedometer be damned
- Extremely hard car handling (with no ability to change settings, great for children )
- Sound effects that repeat every 4 seconds
- Did I mention how your pit stops had to always be “perfect” according to not reality but game logic?
- No connection to the movies’ star, this is basically NES Top Gun but with NASCAR
- “Nice Try Buddy” (IYKYK)

Race on polygons the NES cannot technically process!

Pit stop perfectly every time!

Load your screens!

Enjoy this 1 and a half hour play through:
https://youtu.be/uNwEp9Bz21Y

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Benoit posted:

Some of y’all have never raced the thunder for hours to win the Championship from Rowdy Burns, only to lose it with one poorly-executed pit stop, and it shows.

“Days of Thunder” has all you could require to increase blood pressure and/or neck tension:
- Extremely hard car handling (with no ability to change settings, great for children )
- Did I mention how your pit stops had to always be “perfect” according to not reality but game logic?
- No connection to the movies’ star, this is basically NES Top Gun but with NASCAR

Load your screens!

:laugh:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, but that's a good movie. Felix the Cat is garbage.

I was weirdly obsessed with the Felix movie when I was around 4 years old. I want to say it was because I loved scary things and the whole movie felt a little like a nightmare- No logic, nothing moved right, everything was a grotesque monster, and the world was a grimy hellscape.

Really loving weird.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Benoit posted:

Load your screens!

Two Tom Cruise games where refueling is almost impossible. The NES really was the best system.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Benoit posted:

I remember thinking "That opening lightning effect is really cool for the NES, but literally nothing else makes me want to rent this game again."

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Two Tom Cruise games where refueling is almost impossible. The NES really was the best system.

I’d never heard of that game and watched a little of the video, it was amusing during a pit stop how much of the crew patiently stands idle waiting for other tasks to be completed.

It wasn’t a terrible game but I recall a reliable way to win races against the computer in Automobili Lamborghini 64 was to simply ignore the game telling you to take a pit stop on the final lap while the computer would always stop as I sped past on fumes & bald tires.

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021
I just remembered Taz Mania for the Sega Genesis. YM2612 Fart Music, wonky physics, and obtuse level design, along with that loving minecart level. Apparently there are people that remember the game fondly, and it reviewed well :psyduck: You could argue that it was early in the Genesis lifespan, but it came out a year after Sonic 1 and four months before Sonic 2, so the technical know-how and case study on how to make a good platformer on the Genesis was already there. Excusing the audio is even harder, as even with language barriers to account for, Elemental Master had a 22-month headstart and sounded like this. (Honestly I'm mostly complaining about that so I have an excuse to post good Genesis music. Is there a kickass old video game music thread?)

Later in the year Code Monkeys released Turrican II as Universal Soldier. I wouldn't complain too much about a simple movie tie-in reskin, but the decent autoscroller levels were removed and replaced with pretty lovely platform levels that didn't feel like the rest of the game. Also they did things to the incredible OST of Turrican II that can never be forgiven. (I'm complaining about music twice now!) Poor Chris Huelsbeck, having to hear his music like this :( I really wish we could get another Turrican game, or hell, anything Turrican-shaped to fill the hole.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Das Boo posted:

I was weirdly obsessed with the Felix movie when I was around 4 years old. I want to say it was because I loved scary things and the whole movie felt a little like a nightmare- No logic, nothing moved right, everything was a grotesque monster, and the world was a grimy hellscape.

Really loving weird.

Yeah, I can definitely see that. I wanted to like it because it sounded like a silly concept (Felix the Cat and his magic bag of tricks trying to outrun the evil scientists), but the alternate universe with the metal dome head dude and bizarre cylinder minions was pretty yikes.

Admittedly, that nightmarish animation it was kind of par for the course for weird '80s-'90s animated movies (Secret of NIMH, The Black Cauldron, Starchaser, etc.). Cine D helped me rediscover the Unico movies, which are equally bizarre in design but actually good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yesterdays Latte posted:

I just remembered Taz Mania for the Sega Genesis. YM2612 Fart Music, wonky physics, and obtuse level design, along with that loving minecart level. Apparently there are people that remember the game fondly, and it reviewed well :psyduck: You could argue that it was early in the Genesis lifespan, but it came out a year after Sonic 1 and four months before Sonic 2, so the technical know-how and case study on how to make a good platformer on the Genesis was already there. Excusing the audio is even harder, as even with language barriers to account for, Elemental Master had a 22-month headstart and sounded like this. (Honestly I'm mostly complaining about that so I have an excuse to post good Genesis music. Is there a kickass old video game music thread?)

Later in the year Code Monkeys released Turrican II as Universal Soldier. I wouldn't complain too much about a simple movie tie-in reskin, but the decent autoscroller levels were removed and replaced with pretty lovely platform levels that didn't feel like the rest of the game. Also they did things to the incredible OST of Turrican II that can never be forgiven. (I'm complaining about music twice now!) Poor Chris Huelsbeck, having to hear his music like this :( I really wish we could get another Turrican game, or hell, anything Turrican-shaped to fill the hole.

You and me both....

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyway, y'all talk about Taz on Game Gear, and yes, that is pretty much objectively terrible. But I only played the Genesis/MD version, and that game was so boring. Like astoundingly unremarkable.

I feel like that's worse; so bland that no one cares, not even enough to celebrate its awfulness, if it had any. My friend and I would kind of go on a rotation of trading games. He had that one, and when it got to the point where I was borrowing it, I'd try to find any sort of fun in it, but none was to be found. It looks nice, sounds fine, isn't terribly buggy from what I recall, but like there's not one bit of actual fun to be had.

It is filled with rote platforming. Sometimes, rote is worse than rot.

I rescind my comment about the audio being fine. I forgot how dogshit the music was.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

coldpudding posted:

Did anyone manage to get rise of the triad to run back in the day without constantly getting that pushwall tried to escape level error?
I also got a dud copy of roller coaster tycoon once, the CD rom must have missed a step at the factory because no drive would even recognize it as a viable disc to spin up.

You mean the error in the level only accessible by cheat code, "This Level Causes an Error"?

Rise of the Triad is many things, but terrible is not one of them.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 17, 2023

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Deviant posted:

You mean the error in the level only accessible by cheat code, "This Level Causes an Error"?

No, ROtT did have that bug without doing it purposely and I suspect that it was from having just barely enough RAM or leaving a level on too long to where a block would exit the map. Never figured it out though.

For those who don't know, this is a quick video on it doing it through the menus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0OgWIDSOKM

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Deviant posted:

Raise of the Traid is great, but really wished they could of gotten a few more wall textures and what not.

The game visuals end up feeling very samey after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Yesterdays Latte posted:

I don't know what it is, objectively it's an average platformer at best but somehow I have a soft spot for Taz on the Mega Drive :shobon: I love the eating gag/gimmick and wish they had done more with it. I agree the minecart level is absolutely brutal though.

Grab Im Moor fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 18, 2023